Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 am
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:30 pmAlso, I am starting to get cold feet... about it... 50k is just insane... I think i'll continue to jump lease to lease... either a C43 or an M3 when I am done... it just makes more sense, the ownershit costs will be over 1k a month on the jeep if I keep it 12-24 months...I have car commitment issues and the tax alone will be insanely expense
Yeah I mean that's a tough sell when you have pre owned M3's and all for the same price. The JL should theoretically cost less to own than one of those because of low depreciation and lack of maintenance cost. But still. And the tax situation in Cali doesn't help anything.

Tough call. I think it's worth a look though. I think you'd be really happy with an off road vehicle.
It’s not theoretical it is far cheaper to own a jlu than an m3. I am comparing leases of m3 to purchase costs of a jlu for years 1-5. I don’t see myself owning it forever. That’s the main issue, and that makes it stupid expensive. JlU for 10 years vs m3 for 10, jlu will be 50% cheaper. But who owns cars for a decade !? Not me :laugh:

JlU leases have not yet been announced, if I can get it under $500 a month I’d go that route that will be where I am at with my 3 series. But I am not sure that will be possible
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:27 am

I love how a 1 year old $35k jku is just out of the question lmfao.

It will still be mid 20s in 3 years.
A new jku can be had for 28-35k depending on options all day long. That’s not the question though. JLU was the name of the game
I agree... nothing wrong with the JKU and great deals are great, but no matter the deal, I'd have a hard time dropping $35k on one when the JLU just offers so much more.

I'd go for a lower priced JL model... reduce your tax bill by a ton and lower the overall ownershit costs in your situation by a good percentage.

Do you need doors for more whores?
Do you need hard top?
Do you need more than just a Sport for off-roading prowess?

I think Johnny_W's point about the gears is a good one, they may have been very desirable on a JKU but likley less important on JL if you're going for an automatic.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 am
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 am
A new jku can be had for 28-35k depending on options all day long. That’s not the question though. JLU was the name of the game
I agree... nothing wrong with the JKU and great deals are great, but no matter the deal, I'd have a hard time dropping $35k on one when the JLU just offers so much more.

I'd go for a lower priced JL model... reduce your tax bill by a ton and lower the overall ownershit costs in your situation by a good percentage.

Do you need hard top?

I think Johnny_W's point about the gears is a good one, they may have been very desirable on a JKU but likley less important on JL if you're going for an automatic.
I don’t like how the 2 door looks, unless it is in the Rubicon trim. Something looks really disproportional on it ever since the JK and I’d prefer the better ride quality.

I want the hardtop I’m not going to put up with the tent, I looked it up a couple of times and just a no go from me.

Ideally I want a Sahara + led lights + stereo + hT + auto. That’s about it. I may be overshooting the msrp a bit but not by much. It’ll likely be around 40-42k with those options. Sport ends up costing nearly as much because you have to add shit like ac and power windows. And I’m expecting those “luxuries” in a 30k + vehicle
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 am

Do you need hard top?

I don’t like how the 2 door looks, unless it is in the Rubicon trim. Something looks really disproportional on it ever since the JK and I’d prefer the better ride quality.

I want the hardtop I’m not going to put up with the tent, I looked it up a couple of times and just a no go from me.

Ideally I want a Sahara + led lights + stereo + hT + auto. That’s about it. I may be overshooting the msrp a bit but not by much. It’ll likely be around 40-42k with those options. Sport ends up costing nearly as much because you have to add shit like ac and power windows. And I’m expecting those “luxuries” in a 30k + vehicle
Unless you're going full military spec, the Sahara or one of the special editions end up being a better pick. About the same cost after you add things that should be standard on a car in 2018 like bluetooth and AC and power windows, but the special editions come with other stuff like different wheels, or interior trim, or one or two added features.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Do you need hard top?

That's fair... you're talking $50k OTD then, I was thinking $50K MSRP and wondering what all you wanted to get up to that price.

So you could likely get a JKU for $8-10k less :doe: ? I'm with you on wanting the JLU, but you could run the bumbahs. I think the new MSRP starting price for a JKU 2018 model is $23,995 or something, quite a bit less plus maybe money on ze hood.

But JLU gets you:
-Better top in the Sahara or soft top
-Better transmission in auto or manual
-Looks a little better IMO
-way better interior
-something that stands out as enthusiasts versus a 10 year old TRUK
-way nicer interior
-better fuel economy
-probably higher residual value to offset the cost somewhat, I mean, used JKUs will have to drop with the lowered MSRP
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 am

That's fair... you're talking $50k OTD then, I was thinking $50K MSRP and wondering what all you wanted to get up to that price.

So you could likely get a JKU for $8-10k less :doe: ? I'm with you on wanting the JLU, but you could run the bumbahs. I think the new MSRP starting price for a JKU 2018 model is $23,995 or something, quite a bit less plus maybe money on ze hood.

But JLU gets you:
-way better interior
-way nicer interior
-better fuel economy
-probably higher residual value to offset the cost somewhat, I mean, used JKUs will have to drop with the lowered MSRP
JKUs will drop maybe not now but 1-3 years from now for sure. Jeep is increasing the capacity for
Production from 230k units to 350k. Also jlu is better than a jku in every way, so it makes sense for jku owners to finally upgrade for a first time in a decade. There has never been a good supply of JKUs which is why the price remained high.

Also a jk (2door) starts at 23,995 with no ac no power window and a manual trans. A sport S JKU is 35,095 msrp that’s basically a 4 door wrangler with a hard top ac, auto, and power Windows. A jlu will be around 3k more than that... and I want a few other minor things like lights and a stereo. I don’t think the lights are available on the sport.
max225

The price delta between a jku with discount and jlu without is around 8-10k. 3k cheaper msrp +5k on the hood. However based on the jeep forum I can get 3k off the new one with the special membership pricing ... so I guess it narrows the gap a bit.
A jlu is easily worth an extra 5k to me especially when going new
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:37 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 am

But JLU gets you:
-way better interior
-way nicer interior
-better fuel economy
JKUs will drop maybe not now but 1-3 years from now for sure. Jeep is increasing the capacity for
Production from 230k units to 350k. Also jlu is better than a jku in every way, so it makes sense for jku owners to finally upgrade for a first time in a decade. There has never been a good supply of JKUs which is why the price remained high.

Also a jk (2door) starts at 23,995 with no ac no power window and a manual trans. A sport S JKU is 35,095 msrp that’s basically a 4 door wrangler with a hard top ac, auto, and power Windows. A jlu will be around 3k more than that... and I want a few other minor things like lights and a stereo. I don’t think the lights are available on the sport.
Just built a JKU Sport S with AC, 3.73, soft top, manual, Bluetooth/Connect package, trailer hitch/max tow package, LED lighting, MSRP of $34,9XX. So yeah, add automatic and hard top and you're looking at $37,XXX.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am The price delta between a jku with discount and jlu without is around 8-10k. 3k cheaper msrp +5k on the hood. However based on the jeep forum I can get 3k off the new one with the special membership pricing ... so I guess it narrows the gap a bit.
A jlu is easily worth an extra 5k to me especially when going new
I agree. I'm hoping I can get a JLU in a couple of years if I'm in a better position to have two vehicles. I still might consider a JKU used too, if the prices drop. This was my hope a while back, if I could get a decent JKU for $10-12k or something, that would be neat.
max225

Don’t forget the Sahara adds body colored fenders and a big brake kit on the jlu. Both of which I find really desirable
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:48 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 am checking in, heaps still dumb.
:aintcare:

Not everyone's riding the Minivanman train. In fact, nobody is.
:ohdang:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

:minivan: talk. :disgust:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:13 pm :minivan: talk. :disgust:
:dat:
:butwhy:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:31 pm
Trolling is allowed in my threads and encouraged by the modz . And there are a few characters in here that hate my guts so they try to derail the conversations constantly by hurling random shit at me or my threads in order to get a rise. :scoot:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Trolling is allowed in my threads and encouraged by the modz . And there are a few characters in here that hate my guts so they try to derail the conversations constantly by hurling random shit at me or my threads in order to get a rise. :scoot:
You started shitting on everyone else's threads first.

You can dish it, but can't take it, that's your problem.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
max225

Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:37 pm

You started shitting on everyone else's threads first.

You can dish it, but can't take it, that's your problem.
Did I? Last I checked I am still here. And I caught more shit than anyone on this forum. You gotta threaten to ban me again and erase my shit?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

You're just an asshole, plain and simple.

Bitch all you want, you're still the same person.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:42 pm And I caught more shit than anyone on this forum.
See my previous post.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:45 pm You're just an asshole, plain and simple.

brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Who hates your guts? :notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Case in point.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Melon wrote:You're just an asshole, plain and simple.

Ban?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Case in point.
:sass:
:baby:

cry :225: boi, CRY
brain go brrrrrr