Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:20 pm Wards never includes a 200K evaluation as a factor in its rankings
They should ... I never liked their top 10
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 am Is the 2.bro going to be the base model or an "upgrade" from the V6? I think the :truk: TORQUE from the turbo would be kind of nice in a WranGAYler though.
Does a 2.slow really have torque down low doe? No replacement for displacement. 3.6 is nearly double the displacement...

I’m also skeptical of the 368...
max225

It has got to be the same unit from the Giulia... ~300hp likely detuned for jeep duty... 268 seems more reasonable ... then how do you position it with the 3.6 less power ... :whocares:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:20 pm Wards never includes a 200K evaluation as a factor in its rankings
They should ... I never liked their top 10
But it would take years to get one to 200k and at that point they'd be bestowing their award on a several-year-old engine.

Do agree that some sort of durability factor needs to be included in their award matrix :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 am Is the 2.bro going to be the base model or an "upgrade" from the V6? I think the :truk: TORQUE from the turbo would be kind of nice in a WranGAYler though.
Does a 2.slow really have torque down low doe? No replacement for displacement. 3.6 is nearly double the displacement...

:iono: My experience is limited, but my GTI felt like a torque monster to me compared to most V6 vehicles I've driven. I would have agreed with you fully until I drove that :disgust: Tacoma 4.bro.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 pm
max225 wrote:

:iono: My experience is limited, but my GTI felt like a torque monster to me compared to most V6 vehicles I've driven. I would have agreed with you fully until I drove that :disgust: Tacoma 4.bro.
Well you'd have to compare apples to apples.

GTI engine in a giant Brick jeep... yep... its going to feel like shit
3.6 liter V6 in a GTI would likely feel pretty damn good.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

I went an had a look at a Wrangler today, the lease on my VW is up in February. Looking for something completely different than the gti.

Would be nice to get a Sport S or Willys. Only thing Id really like on it would be the power windows and maybe, the 3.73. Was looking around lease hacker/edmunds and saw some trims residual of the wrangler can go as high up as 79%.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

09vdubgti wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 am I went an had a look at a Wrangler today, the lease on my VW is up in February. Looking for something completely different than the gti.

Would be nice to get a Sport S or Willys. Only thing Id really like on it would be the power windows and maybe, the 3.73. Was looking around lease hacker/edmunds and saw some trims residual of the wrangler can go as high up as 79%.
Willys is a good package. The initial buy in sucks but so far they have been the only thing to give a Taco a run for lack of depreciation
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

09vdubgti wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 am I went an had a look at a Wrangler today, the lease on my VW is up in February. Looking for something completely different than the gti.

Willys gets you kind of a rubicon lite, for a bit of a discount off rubicon pricing. Honestly it's a great package.
By the time you option a Sport S with all the shit that should be standard, you might as well just get one of the special package vehicles that includes all that stuff.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 pm

That was basically the MK5 R32, right? The MK6 GTI was just as fast with the base 2.bro engine. I'd rather have the revvy V6.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 am

That was basically the MK5 R32, right? The MK6 GTI was just as fast with the base 2.bro engine. I'd rather have the revvy V6.
3.2 to be exact. But VW serves the 3.6 v6 on the passat, the touareg, atlas
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/2-0l-t ... ve-368-hp/

368 number has been debunked as fake news
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/2-0l-t ... ve-368-hp/

That was fake news from the beginning. ZOMG! F1 Lotus/Cosworth collaboration motor to power offroad vehicle!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/2-0l-t ... ve-368-hp/

That was fake news from the beginning. ZOMG! F1 Lotus/Cosworth collaboration motor to power offroad vehicle!
Looks like their financial aptitude matches their build quality. That's quite a major fuckup to submit to a government agency
Johnny_P

Entire owner's manual leaked for the new Jeep Wrangler.

https://jalopnik.com/here-is-the-entire ... 1819485170

max225

Oh wow the fca folks are really taking this thing seriously. Looks :impressive: the want is certainly there
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 am Oh wow the fca folks are really taking this thing seriously. Looks :impressive: the want is certainly there
But what are you really getting over the JK other than the 8 speed tranny, which I agree is no small thing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:36 am Oh wow the fca folks are really taking this thing seriously. Looks :impressive: the want is certainly there
But what are you really getting over the JK other than the 8 speed tranny, which I agree is no small thing.
I don’t know yet ... from pictures it looks like an actual interior and transmission. Maybe they addressed some nvh concerns
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:12 pm

I don’t know yet ... from pictures it looks like an actual interior and transmission. Maybe they addressed some nvh concerns
JK definitely has some NVH. I like it, but maybe one day it'll wear on me.
max225

here is what the current jeep needs IMO.
1. Better lighting
2. More gears (addressed)
3. Better MPG (TBD, don't think it'll be a major improvement)
4. Less windnoise (might be addressed)
5. Better interior (Addressed)
6. An actual stereo
7. Actual brakes (not sure if addressed)

A lot of these things are/have been fixed in the aftermarket. However it may be fixed from the getgo in the new heep. I don't think I can deal with the 5 speed auto, it is an unacceptable transmission for the purpose. It is either lugging or BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW screaming when you're attempting to gently overtake a semi truk. I need to drive a rubicunt with the 4.11s and :manuel: perhaps it would be better than my terribad 3.21 experience.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:04 pm

1. Better lighting
6. An actual stereo

A lot of these things are/have been fixed in the aftermarket. However it may be fixed from the getgo in the new heep. I don't think I can deal with the 5 speed auto, it is an unacceptable transmission for the purpose. It is either lugging or BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW screaming when you're attempting to gently overtake a semi truk. I need to drive a rubicunt with the 4.11s and :manuel: perhaps it would be better than my terribad 3.21 experience.
The auto + 3.73 gearing seemed to be fine :iono: but I don't have high expectations for vehicles like this. It got up to speed decently well and wasn't hunting for gears.

Updating this truck is sticky. A lot of the things that totally suck about it make it special and endearing. I wouldn't want to be on the design team for this update.

But. Apparently getting the following:
-Available auto 4WD system
-Available power top (supposedly cloth, with removable rear side windows, suggesting it's a hard top type thing with a fabric center) Power top is NOT removable.
-8AT
-New 2.0T engine that might help with fuel mileage. It has a belt starter generator with it to maybe act as a mild hybrid.

I agree that it needs actual brakes. The brakes on the JKU were among the worst I've ever experienced.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:04 pm

1. Better lighting
6. An actual stereo

The auto + 3.73 gearing seemed to be fine :iono: but I don't have high expectations for vehicles like this. It got up to speed decently well and wasn't hunting for gears.

Updating this truck is sticky. A lot of the things that totally suck about it make it special and endearing. I wouldn't want to be on the design team for this update.

But. Apparently getting the following:
-Available auto 4WD system
-Available power top (supposedly cloth, with removable rear side windows, suggesting it's a hard top type thing with a fabric center) Power top is NOT removable.
-8AT
-New 2.0T engine that might help with fuel mileage. It has a belt starter generator with it to maybe act as a mild hybrid.

I agree that it needs actual brakes. The brakes on the JKU were among the worst I've ever experienced.
I suppose I only drove a heep with the 3.21, in both auto and :manuel: form. My issue was at 65-70mph this thing was DEAD, it could barely keep up the speed, and if you got on the gas, first nothing would happen, then it would jump from 5 to 3, bringing the RPMs to 4500 rattling the entire cabin etc. It was just :disgust: . The issue is the 3.6, it just doesn't have enough low end torque which the Jeep desperately needs.
SAWCE

Pics for Max, and since they were only in OT before.
max225

I dig it! Those are some knobby tires! Which car did you come from ? Also how do you like the manual and brakes ?

(I see the roof is off already :D)
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 am I dig it! Those are some knobby tires! Which car did you come from ? Also how do you like the manual and brakes ?

(I see the roof is off already :D)
I was still in my MKVI up until this. Love the manual, the direct linkage has a much more mechanical feel than the stock GTI did. Still getting used to the clutch feel, but my shifts are already smoothing out. No complaints about the brakes so far, but I haven’t really needed to get on them at all. Sitting in traffic to and from work today was fine for both the manual and the brakes.