Talk British to me: All things MINI

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm
Clownshoobie wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Yeap.

Dat updo :doe:
Dat VHS was epic!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
09vdubgti
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Forester

I went to look at a Countryman S All4, I actually liked it better than the BMW X1.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

09vdubgti wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 pm I went to look at a Countryman S All4, I actually liked it better than the BMW X1.
What did you like better about it?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

The F56 finally goes to the farm tomorrow. It’s been relegated to sitting in a dirt parking lot at work for the last month after I put 7,000 highway miles on it since March.

I couldn’t take driving it anymore as a commuter as it’s just not enjoyable or comfortable at 75-85 on the highway for an hour at a time.

I can also say in the four months I drove it full time, I have NEVER been cut off or pulled out on so much in my life. At least once a week I’d have to swerve or emergency stop because someone pulls out without “seeing” me coming. I can see how/why her accident happened. It’s crazy.

It’ll be nice to see it go.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:54 am The F56 finally goes to the farm tomorrow. It’s been relegated to sitting in a dirt parking lot at work for the last month after I put 7,000 highway miles on it since March.

I couldn’t take driving it anymore as a commuter as it’s just not enjoyable or comfortable at 75-85 on the highway for an hour at a time.

I can also say in the four months I drove it full time, I have NEVER been cut off or pulled out on so much in my life. At least once a week I’d have to swerve or emergency stop because someone pulls out without “seeing” me coming. I can see how/why her accident happened. It’s crazy.

It’ll be nice to see it go.
Putting her out to pasture?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Lease turn in.

I paid up the lease early by overpaying on the lease. It was done in March of this year when we bought the Heep.

I tried to arrange early turn in with BMW financial, but they wanted to hit me with ~$600 in early termination fees and just hit me with lots of BS at every turn. It wound out cheaper to keep it, run miles on it and just pay the $80/mo to insure it. All of this despite the fact the lease was paid in full.

BMW apparently severely overestimated their residuals a few years ago... the residual/buyout for this car is 19,900. Trade value thanks to the bad carfax is $13k, and $14,200 if it had a clean fax.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am Lease turn in.

I paid up the lease early by overpaying on the lease. It was done in March of this year when we bought the Heep.

I tried to arrange early turn in with BMW financial, but they wanted to hit me with ~$600 in early termination fees and just hit me with lots of BS at every turn. It wound out cheaper to keep it, run miles on it and just pay the $80/mo to insure it. All of this despite the fact the lease was paid in full.

BMW apparently severely overestimated their residuals a few years ago... the residual/buyout for this car is 19,900. Trade value thanks to the bad carfax is $13k, and $14,200 if it had a clean fax.
They still do this, :lol: look at Max’s story with his M3.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It’s officailly gone.

Thank god.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 pm It’s officailly gone.

Thank god.
Serious question. How does your GTI handle shit roads? I know you complained about the Mini’s ride but not sure how the current car deals with bullshit vs something sort of off road like the new Renegade. I remember my MK6 bottomed our frequently on potholes.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 am
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:17 pm It’s officailly gone.

Thank god.
Serious question. How does your GTI handle shit roads? I know you complained about the Mini’s ride but not sure how the current car deals with bullshit vs something sort of off road like the new Renegade. I remember my MK6 bottomed our frequently on potholes.
Nowhere near as bad as a MK6 with bottoming out. The MQB cars are a night and day difference with road manners.

If you want to drive it some time, let me know.

I pound out ridiculous mileage on 476, 95, 295, and all of the pothole ridden shit roads in Delco up around work. Takes it like a champ... a set of 17's and beefier sidewalls would smoothen it out just a touch. Miles more comfortable than my FoST was (although the Mountune Cup suspension made a big difference).
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Mk7 makes the mk6 feel like a pos in comparison
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:40 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:59 am

Nowhere near as bad as a MK6 with bottoming out. The MQB cars are a night and day difference with road manners.

If you want to drive it some time, let me know.

I pound out ridiculous mileage on 476, 95, 295, and all of the pothole ridden shit roads in Delco up around work. Takes it like a champ... a set of 17's and beefier sidewalls would smoothen it out just a touch. Miles more comfortable than my FoST was (although the Mountune Cup suspension made a big difference).
Bottoming out constantly made my MK6 feel like a piece of shit. I liked the ride and thought it was a nice compromise of handling and comfort. But the constant slamming from the shocks was :rage:

You get a lot of wheel hop with the magic diff? My GTI would hop all the way through 1st and into 2nd. Hm. AWD is probably the answer for me.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 am
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:31 am Lease turn in.

And my 335i it was "turned in" at $38,500 which was the residual, the trade value was likely 25-26k maybe less considering the Nigerian stain.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:39 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 am
And my 335i it was "turned in" at $38,500 which was the residual, the trade value was likely 25-26k maybe less considering the Nigerian stain.
Nigerian stain :disgust:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

I probably shouldn't consider a GTI. I really hated mine towards the end because so much was broken on it. It was a good car for the first 2 years though.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:I probably shouldn't consider a GTI. I really hated mine towards the end because so much was broken on it. It was a good car for the first 2 years though.
You should. Do DSGay this time. Sucks about no sunroof only being on the S though.

6 year b2b warranty as well so that shit won't be a problem down the line if at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 pm I probably shouldn't consider a GTI. I really hated mine towards the end because so much was broken on it. It was a good car for the first 2 years though.
I dunno mang... I think the long warranty would be just fine. My egg was fairly trouble free for the 5 years and 75k miles I put on it. :iono:
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote:I probably shouldn't consider a GTI. I really hated mine towards the end because so much was broken on it. It was a good car for the first 2 years though.
You should. Do DSGay this time. Sucks about no sunroof only being on the S though.

6 year b2b warranty as well so that shit won't be a problem down the line if at all.

DSG yeah. Really don't want a VW sunroof. Isn't the GTI getting redone next year? Depreciation will be :doomed: if that's the case.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 pm You should. Do DSGay this time. Sucks about no sunroof only being on the S though.

DSG yeah. Really don't want a VW sunroof. Isn't the GTI getting redone next year? Depreciation will be :doomed: if that's the case.
In 5-6 years most cars unless rare, or desirable will be pretty much worthless thanks to pods. So I wouldn't care too much about this piece. Besides depreciation on a gti is always super high except for the mk6 for some reason... clean ones are in the low teens, which is outrageous IMO.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 pm You should. Do DSGay this time. Sucks about no sunroof only being on the S though.

I think 2020 is the date for Mk8 which means 2021 for 'murica. Rumors of light hybrid powertrain too which is a :nope: from me.

The third gen EA888's really seem to be much better than the second gen in the Mk6.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
I think 2020 is the date for Mk8 which means 2021 for 'murica. Rumors of light hybrid powertrain too which is a :nope: from me.

The third gen EA888's really seem to be much better than the second gen in the Mk6.

Yea that's a long time from now... and based on historical sales... the GTI/golf may not even make it since everyone wants TRUCKs and SUVs. the GTI is too small for that.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 pm

In 5-6 years most cars unless rare, or desirable will be pretty much worthless thanks to pods. So I wouldn't care too much about this piece. Besides depreciation on a gti is always super high except for the mk6 for some reason... clean ones are in the low teens, which is outrageous IMO.
I traded my GTI in with a dented quarter panel and a ripped front bumper for $8600 :aintcare:
Wonder how they lease. I have no interest in keeping something like this long term.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:00 pm

I traded my GTI in with a dented quarter panel and a ripped front bumper for $8600 :aintcare:
Wonder how they lease. I have no interest in keeping something like this long term.
GTI leases have never been "great" i think the lowest was around $300 with no/little money down on a poverty spec, options kill leasability. This is relatively shitty as it is above the 1% of MSRP per month rule of a "good lease" :dill:
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Oh yeah carbon buildup. That's the other thing. My commute is 3 miles of stop signs. I put under 4k/year on my car. Aintgottaworryboutdah on my STI with it's poverty port injection and big dick 2.5L gutless motor.

I love this engine. So much character.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:05 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

GTI leases have never been "great" i think the lowest was around $300 with no/little money down on a poverty spec, options kill leasability. This is relatively shitty as it is above the 1% of MSRP per month rule of a "good lease" :dill:
Yeah I kinda :member: that. Do Audis lease better? Honestly an A4 lease would be pretty rad.