Talk British to me: All things MINI

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I went all :troywax: and ordered up a JCW :dong: shift knob.

First time ordering from ECSTuning, so we'll see what happens.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Apex wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:38 pm I went all :troywax: and ordered up a JCW :dong: shift knob.

First time ordering from ECSTuning, so we'll see what happens.
the shipping is pretty damn quick, I bought countless of things off ecs as well.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mini-coop ... 1821930283

Updates to the Mini Cooper announced! New tails, new infotainment, new dashboard accent panel, and that's about it. No DCT, no meaningful power increase.

:flaccid:

New tails look alright.

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Wow they puked the union jack all over it :disgust:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I like the tails.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I don't mind the tails, but the backlit Union Jack on the dash is a bit much.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 am

I be the I do fewer short trips than most suburbanites.
My new commute is gonna wreck engines.

2.5 miles.

Might be able to start riding to work.
Thats awesome. Save the truck and car miles and money! Good luck with the new job if you take it!!
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

wap wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 pm I don't mind the tails, but the backlit Union Jack on the dash is a bit much.
+1 car looks nice overall
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm The backlit Union Jack dash is an option; not standard. One of the MINI: Yours options.

Tails seem to be standard but I’m hoping they’re not. I like them but wouldn’t want them on my own car.

Also, DCT comes later this year. Slow rollout.

Anyways, I may be bailing on BMW and trying to slide back into MINI. I feel like a nail being pounded by a thousand :amir: hammers.
Articles I've read have said no DCT for the USA.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2018/01/10/ ... t-getting/

No adaptive matrix lighting
No updated engines
No 7-speed steptronic dual clutch

:iono:
Johnny_P

To be fair I think it looks alright but then again I never really had an issue with the F56 styling in general. I think Mini/BMW needed to uncork the engines a bit, make the MT better, make the car more exciting to drive through sound or who knows what. They also didn't do a damn thing to the interior, like why does it still have a cable parking brake? It should have an electronic parking brake so they can redesign the center console cluster fuck arm rest and infotainment controller situation.

I dunno. I guess I was hoping for a bit more. Maybe they'll up the lease support on these.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 am To be fair I think it looks alright but then again I never really had an issue with the F56 styling in general. I think Mini/BMW needed to uncork the engines a bit, make the MT better, make the car more exciting to drive through sound or who knows what. They also didn't do a damn thing to the interior, like why does it still have a cable parking brake? It should have an electronic parking brake so they can redesign the center console cluster fuck arm rest and infotainment controller situation.

I dunno. I guess I was hoping for a bit more. Maybe they'll up the lease support on these.
How else do you dorifto in a FWD car in the snow?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm The backlit Union Jack dash is an option; not standard. One of the MINI: Yours options.

Tails seem to be standard but I’m hoping they’re not. I like them but wouldn’t want them on my own car.

Also, DCT comes later this year. Slow rollout.

Anyways, I may be bailing on BMW and trying to slide back into MINI. I feel like a nail being pounded by a thousand :amir: hammers.
Mt. Laurel or Edison?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I think it looks fine. Union jack tail lights are :disgust: though.

Aren't these things made in Germany too?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:59 am My new commute is gonna wreck engines.

2.5 miles.

Might be able to start riding to work.
New jerb? Going back to Mini?
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 am To be fair I think it looks alright but then again I never really had an issue with the F56 styling in general. I think Mini/BMW needed to uncork the engines a bit, make the MT better, make the car more exciting to drive through sound or who knows what. They also didn't do a damn thing to the interior, like why does it still have a cable parking brake? It should have an electronic parking brake so they can redesign the center console cluster fuck arm rest and infotainment controller situation.

Nobody will do that. Especially not the sorority girls who buy these cars.

Fact is, an electronic parking brake will allow them to redesign the center console area. The media controller is awkwardly kind of underneath the armrest. The arm rest is in the way of the parking brake, and using the parking brake actually hits the armrest and tilts it upwards. Very poor design. My Ford Focus was the exact same way, and I ended up unbolting that piece of shit armrest and drove around with a poverty hole in my center console because Ford couldn't follow conventional design that works in every other small car on the market.

When I was looking at Minis I was trying to find ones without center armrests which is :fullretard: but necessary IMO.

I was really hoping for an injection of engine fun in these. The power tapers off after about 4500 RPM, and the sound starts to wane off and lighten up very artificially. My car is just getting into the meat of the fun at 4500 RPM and putting an ever growing smile of stupidity on your face. That's what this car should do. That's what it DID do until they became tiny BMWs.

I did really like the F56S. I just felt it was quirky and not actually very sporty. :iono: The brand is writing checks the cars can't cash.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:24 am I think it looks fine. Union jack tail lights are :disgust: though.

Aren't these things made in Germany too?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

schau, es ist britisch, ja?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 am
Davestr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:11 am

Thats awesome. Save the truck and car miles and money! Good luck with the new job if you take it!!
:lolol:

Fuck this job.
Have you had anyone bless a new car at the dealership? With like flowers and a prayer and stuff? It's customary in India, but IDK if you have any FOBs coming in to haggle or not.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 am

Fact is, an electronic parking brake will allow them to redesign the center console area. The media controller is awkwardly kind of underneath the armrest. The arm rest is in the way of the parking brake, and using the parking brake actually hits the armrest and tilts it upwards. Very poor design. My Ford Focus was the exact same way, and I ended up unbolting that piece of shit armrest and drove around with a poverty hole in my center console because Ford couldn't follow conventional design that works in every other small car on the market.

When I was looking at Minis I was trying to find ones without center armrests which is :fullretard: but necessary IMO.

I was really hoping for an injection of engine fun in these. The power tapers off after about 4500 RPM, and the sound starts to wane off and lighten up very artificially. My car is just getting into the meat of the fun at 4500 RPM and putting an ever growing smile of stupidity on your face. That's what this car should do. That's what it DID do until they became tiny BMWs.

I did really like the F56S. I just felt it was quirky and not actually very sporty. :iono: The brand is writing checks the cars can't cash.
TIL: I'm a sorority girl.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:30 am

ha
Enthusiasts are few and far between in reality. We make quite the battle cry but hardly show up at the dealer to vote with our wallets. Fact is it would serve Mini well to make a change that suits the masses better, because they're the ones typically buying the cars. Most new cars are going to electric parking brakes, even the new Si has one.
Johnny_P

And I'm still really torn by this car. Nice premium little vehicle. Drives pretty good. Pretty good automatic. Would be great for a city. Just supposed to be racy and it kind of isn't. It's like the GTI but with more quirks. I think fixing the engine sound would swing me to like it more.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am

ha
Enthusiasts are few and far between in reality. We make quite the battle cry but hardly show up at the dealer to vote with our wallets. Fact is it would serve Mini well to make a change that suits the masses better, because they're the ones typically buying the cars. Most new cars are going to electric parking brakes, even the new Si has one.
Enthusiasts shout a lot about things they want, but you are right that the masses buy far more cars than we do. Plus, a lot of enthusiasts want the cheap :dill: too so they aren't buying new stuff.

IDK how it doesn't work in the Fseries, but my R56 has an armrest, media control, and parking brake that function well for me.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am And I'm still really torn by this car. Nice premium little vehicle. Drives pretty good. Pretty good automatic. Would be great for a city. Just supposed to be racy and it kind of isn't. It's like the GTI but with more quirks. I think fixing the engine sound would swing me to like it more.
And let it breathe better up top.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am And I'm still really torn by this car. Nice premium little vehicle. Drives pretty good. Pretty good automatic. Would be great for a city. Just supposed to be racy and it kind of isn't. It's like the GTI but with more quirks. I think fixing the engine sound would swing me to like it more.
I just can't see why people would go for these if they weren't even *slightly* interested in having something fun to drive. I mean my wife, for example, is so, so far from being a car person, but she bought a 2005 Mazda 3 after college because it was more fun to drive than anything else she test drove, with absolutely no input from me. Later on we got her a 2013 Jetta and while she liked a lot about it, after awhile she really started to hate how it drove because the trans would race to the highest gear and it didn't handle nearly as well.

These cars don't need to be enthusiast cars, necessarily, but I do think they need to offer some semblance of sport that you wouldn't find in a Corolla. If they don't, they are just a fashion accessory, and the appeal of that will fade quickly.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 am
I just can't see why people would go for these if they weren't even *slightly* interested in having something fun to drive. I mean my wife, for example, is so, so far from being a car person, but she bought a 2005 Mazda 3 after college because it was more fun to drive than anything else she test drove, with absolutely no input from me. Later on we got her a 2013 Jetta and while she liked a lot about it, after awhile she really started to hate how it drove because the trans would race to the highest gear and it didn't handle nearly as well.

These cars don't need to be enthusiast cars, necessarily, but I do think they need to offer some semblance of sport that you wouldn't find in a Corolla. If they don't, they are just a fashion accessory, and the appeal of that will fade quickly.
For a while people bought them because they were trendy
I think reliability reports from CR and such have tainted the public's view of these cars
Doesn't help that they're expensive
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:02 am
And let it breathe better up top.
Yeah in one way or another it should be exciting to wring out. The MK6 GTI was fun to take to the upper rev range. This, you can feel it's being artificially held back.