Lets talk about Tesla.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

NeonJonny wrote:Normal cruise control pisses people off . When people speed up going down the hill and youve stayed the same speed=OMG WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY?
:lolol: So true.

Which sucks, because I love CC.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Davestr wrote:Tesla effect on overall gasoline consumption - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... but-peaked
:lolol: :yeahok:

Look at the developing countries...India, parts of asia and China, those people are too poor and will continue to be for a while to afford EVs. They'll buy good 'ol dyno burners, and they're breeding like mice.

Further, where gas is still free like places in the US, it makes zero sense to buy an EV over a gigantic dyno burner because bigger is better. I doubt gas has peaked yet...but it's getting close.

And this is from an EV owner who loves our EV. Even our car wouldn't be viable without gas. Indeed, we consume much less of it than we used to, but we're a rare case of a family replacing an egregious dyno burner with a dyno smoker when gas is free. We would not be able to live the EV lyfe without the gas engine where we live.

Though, I did find out last night that Infamous has spent the last week running the gas engine on "critically low" since she just charges it everywhere. The tank needs to be full to reduce condensation. Her response: :meh:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote:
Davestr wrote:Tesla effect on overall gasoline consumption - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... but-peaked
:lolol: :yeahok:

Look at the developing countries...India, parts of asia and China, those people are too poor and will continue to be for a while to afford EVs. They'll buy good 'ol dyno burners, and they're breeding like mice.

Further, where gas is still free like places in the US, it makes zero sense to buy an EV over a gigantic dyno burner because bigger is better. I doubt gas has peaked yet...but it's getting close.

And this is from an EV owner who loves our EV. Even our car wouldn't be viable without gas. Indeed, we consume much less of it than we used to, but we're a rare case of a family replacing an egregious dyno burner with a dyno smoker when gas is free. We would not be able to live the EV lyfe without the gas engine where we live.

Though, I did find out last night that Infamous has spent the last week running the gas engine on "critically low" since she just charges it everywhere. The tank needs to be full to reduce condensation. Her response: :meh:

:lolol: justwimmenthings
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Detroit wrote: :lolol: :yeahok:

:lolol: justwimmenthings
:dat: I need to take it out to fill the tank tonight. :disappoint:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dat "800" mpg :yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:Dat "800" mpg :yeahok:
:lolgasm: such :bs:

I have no idea what our MPG is since the thing is charged so frequently. I don't count driving it on EV as "MPG".

It'll do 340ish miles on 7 gallons routinely. 48mpg roughly. There's regular gas cars that can do that these days.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:51 am
Detroit wrote: :dat:

It won't be mainsteam for a long time. It'll be common in ridesharing fleets WAY before it's mainstream.
:nope:

as soon as its viable long haul trucking will be the first adopters.
http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1647 ... aces-order

reviving this thread.

200+ trucks preordered. Shits about to get real.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:51 am

:nope:

as soon as its viable long haul trucking will be the first adopters.

reviving this thread.

I could see local delivery trucks going electric very quickly. Probably before widespread semi truck adoption. Think FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. Those trucks get horrific fuel mileage, and city stop/go is where electric excels. Cities are buying hybrid electric or full electric buses in droves because of the reliability and efficiency gains. No reason the same can't be done for local heavy hauling delivery vehicles.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 am

reviving this thread.

I could see local delivery trucks going electric very quickly. Probably before widespread semi truck adoption. Think FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc. Those trucks get horrific fuel mileage, and city stop/go is where electric excels. Cities are buying hybrid electric or full electric buses in droves because of the reliability and efficiency gains. No reason the same can't be done for local heavy hauling delivery vehicles.
Agreed.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Do we have power grids robust enough to ween everyone off gasoline ?! Me thinks no
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm Do we have power grids robust enough to ween everyone off gasoline ?! Me thinks no
you think wrong. Its also a slow enough change that its not something worth worrying about.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:00 pm Do we have power grids robust enough to ween everyone off gasoline ?! Me thinks no
you think wrong. Its also a slow enough change that its not something worth worrying about.
Basically this
Apex
Drives: Abominable

And most charging would be done on off-peak hours, ie. overnight.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 pm

And most charging would be done on off-peak hours, ie. overnight.
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

The way I envision Tesla semi trucks or any electric/hybrid platforms succeeding into the market would be first as regional carriers, for UPS and the like.

10 trucks in Jacksonville, 10 in Orlando, 10 in Miami.

5 trucks running routes at any given time from Jacksonville to Miami or Orlando, and vice versa. 5 other trucks sit on chargers. When the trucks get to the distribution centers, swap out the trucks for the freshly charged ones, and repeat.

I feel like that’s where they’ll get most of their use. Simple, 4-600 mile routes that afford an infrastructure where they can be rotated and used with minimal downtime.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Also, 10 trucks is completely theoretical and it could vary exponentially.

Aka 10, 100, 1000, etc
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

So the US consumes 3.85 Trillion KWH per year
143billion gallons of gas per year 33.85 KHW per gallon ~4.7 Trillion KWH

We'd have to about double or energy generation ...
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:So the US consumes 3.85 Trillion KWH per year

:nuke:
razr390

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:03 pm So the US consumes 3.85 Trillion KWH per year

Which is doable as long as it isn’t necessitated to happen overnight.
max225

Yea the take rate is only 3% right now I believe... gas is just too damn cheap. It costs nearly as much to drive an electric car as a gasoline one out here in the most populous state in the nation. Pretty crazy. But there are :scrooge: ways to get .gov subsidies or free charging from work.

It used to be a cool perk at work, but our 16 charging stations are coveted goods, like ppl almost fight for them.. :disgust:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:03 pm So the US consumes 3.85 Trillion KWH per year

flaws right off the top:

generation =/= capacity

electric drive is 2-3 times more efficient than gasoline, at least.

stick to finance :225: boy
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 pm

flaws right off the top:

generation =/= capacity

2-3 more efficient? You smoking some crack boy. From generation /charge loss including all that bs to the actual power loss due to weather etc which gasoline is less susceptible to. :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:08 pm

flaws right off the top:

generation =/= capacity

2-3 more efficient? You smoking some crack boy. From generation /charge loss including all that bs to the actual power loss due to weather etc which gasoline is less susceptible to. :lol:
whom do we believe her DFD: :225: cali bro finicane guy

OR

Engineer PE, Licensed in 2 states, FSAE alumni, car guy?

:yeahok:
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:21 pm

OR

:sass:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:21 pm

OR

Who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?