Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:34 pm
Correct. But I want an orange car now.

:baby:
:millennial:
:lolgasm:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm

:lolgasm:
:bow:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:34 pm
Correct. But I want an orange car now.

:baby:
:dat: :|
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

:dat: :|
:zing:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

ZR1 looks like serious bizznach... but I like the old hood with the glass centre to show off the supercharger. Nonetheless :thisisfine:

I should take a look at what :thisisfine: looks like, I'm assuming it's fine, right?Image
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm ZR1 looks like serious bizznach... but I like the old hood with the glass centre to show off the supercharger. Nonetheless :thisisfine:

I should take a look at what :thisisfine: looks like, I'm assuming it's fine, right?Image
Looks good, but I'm passing on the ZR1 and will continue to rack up $ on my GM card with the rumors that the Mid Engine may be available early 2019. If they release the 3 power levels that are rumored right away I will buy one of those. If not, I will wait a bit more and get the Z06/ZR1 equivalent. The longer they wait is probably better as I already have about $6800 in credits on my card and can probably hit $8,000 by the end of the year + any bonus deals they have at the time. When I bought the 1LE I got an additional 1500 in bonus cash, right now there is $500 bonus available..
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm ZR1 looks like serious bizznach... but I like the old hood with the glass centre to show off the supercharger. Nonetheless :thisisfine:

Looks good, but I'm passing on the ZR1 and will continue to rack up $ on my GM card with the rumors that the Mid Engine may be available early 2019. If they release the 3 power levels that are rumored right away I will buy one of those. If not, I will wait a bit more and get the Z06/ZR1 equivalent. The longer they wait is probably better as I already have about $6800 in credits on my card and can probably hit $8,000 by the end of the year + any bonus deals they have at the time. When I bought the 1LE I got an additional 1500 in bonus cash, right now there is $500 bonus available..
Aside from more tire smoke at any speed, i doubt there's a new experience here. It is too close to the Z06 to warrant a swap + :waxer: . The mid-engine car will draw a crowd for sure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Anybody know good places to look for :ramz: ?

House of Wheels has sets of four C5Z rears for $1,900 :nope:

I'd kind of like some bronze/gold :ramz: with polished lip, but I'm probably too :scrooge: . I'm trying to decide what to do before getting new tires, maybe try to just find another pair of 50 AE rears and just go square with the stock look for less :troywax: but I'm not seeing any in my searches. I've never really been much of a wheel guy, I generally prefer OEM styles, so :notsure: .
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 am Anybody know good places to look for :ramz: ?

House of Wheels has sets of four C5Z rears for $1,900 :nope:

I'd kind of like some bronze/gold :ramz: with polished lip, but I'm probably too :scrooge: . I'm trying to decide what to do before getting new tires, maybe try to just find another pair of 50 AE rears and just go square with the stock look for less :troywax: but I'm not seeing any in my searches. I've never really been much of a wheel guy, I generally prefer OEM styles, so :notsure: .
On the gold chainz forum, House of wheels sells C5Z rears for $325 shipped per. $1,300 for a set of wheels is a pretty solid deal, IMO. You can't beat that anywhere for brand new wheels. I'll be buying two from them to go square on my car...also to fit the 6-pot Wilwoods.

Used sets come up rather often and can be had for decent prices too. I bought mine for $500 with usable tires, which was a bit :unicorn:

C5Z wheel size will get you the widest tire at 295 for a stock wheel, though 295/35r18's isn't a very common tire size, so the choices are limited.

I'm like you and don't have much interest in aftermarket wheels. But for ultimate :scrooge: and at your power level, I'd probably just try to track down a pair of 18" AE rears and rock that square. Probably plenty for what you want to do. Might need to resort to used on those, doe. Also check for cracking on the thin spokes. might only be polished ones, but mine cracked as many of them do. It was another reason I chose the C5Z wheels.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Yeah C5 Z wheels 18X10.5 all around give you a lot of options.

The 18x9.5 AE rears can run a 275/40/18 and there are good options for that.

eBay is a good place to look for used OEM stuff for not a lot of coin. But, beware the vette tax is real.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, $1,300 isn't a terrible deal, must've read it wrong thinking they were $1,900. It still brings a lot of :butwhy: to the table :doe: , I don't think an extra 20 mm is really going to make or break anything. The C5Z wheels do look good though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I may look into powder coating, that would be cool to just pick up any rear thin spokes and get them all finished in bronze.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 am Yeah, $1,300 isn't a terrible deal, must've read it wrong thinking they were $1,900. It still brings a lot of :butwhy: to the table :doe: , I don't think an extra 20 mm is really going to make or break anything. The C5Z wheels do look good though.
They've got a for sale thread listing $325 shipped/wheel on the forum.

In your case, the extra width probably won't make a huge difference. Unless you're going to add power or gears at some point. Lack of traction is equal parts :lolol: and :rage:

Could also look for C6 fronts that you like the look of. Same size IIRC.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hmmm, seems like it's $100+ per wheel, :notsure: if that's worth it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 am I may look into powder coating, that would be cool to just pick up any rear thin spokes and get them all finished in bronze.
Word, you'll notice going square more than going wider, and it's 100% recommended by me to go square FWIW.

I like the powdercoating route, would be your best :scrooge: bet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:57 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:50 am Yeah, $1,300 isn't a terrible deal, must've read it wrong thinking they were $1,900. It still brings a lot of :butwhy: to the table :doe: , I don't think an extra 20 mm is really going to make or break anything. The C5Z wheels do look good though.

In your case, the extra width probably won't make a huge difference. Unless you're going to add power or gears at some point. Lack of traction is equal parts :lolol: and :rage:

C6Z fronts all around might be a :notbad: idea for way less money than C5Z rears. I could probably break even-ish with this by selling my 50AE units. This might hurt the resale value of my car though :rolleyes:

I'd still like to do the gearz at some point... don't think I'll ever add any power and the gearz are a :notsure: item.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:57 am

C6Z fronts all around might be a :notbad: idea for way less money than C5Z rears. I could probably break even-ish with this by selling my 50AE units. This might hurt the resale value of my car though :rolleyes:

I'd still like to do the gearz at some point... don't think I'll ever add any power and the gearz are a :notsure: item.
I wouldn't worry about hurting resale. Mileage does that more than the wheels.

Another option is the C5 Mag wheels. They're :mindblown: light. Already bronze, and from what I've seen can be had for not a fortune.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah it looks like there are plenty for around $130 with free shipping. Could be :notbad: , the logistics of powder coating my other two would be... difficult. I guess I could just buy four then sell mine to someone, but I always get burned selling stuff. No one really buys shit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've been thinking/looking in to the wheel thing more. I think I will purchase two more thin spokes and powder coat the set. I'm heavily leaning to not selling the car right now, but this way, even if I do, I won't have an insane amount into the wheels.

I'm thinking I'll take the two I purchase to be coated first, then have my old tires from the rear mounted on them and get those two powder coated to match at that time, then I'll have new tars mounted on all four and hopefully sell my fronts for something. Total cost will be about $400 for the powder coating and probably $300 or less for the :ramz: , hopefully I can at least get $100 out of my front wheels, I don't think the 17s carry much value.

Tar suggestions?
ChrisoftheNorth

Itching to know the answer, I test fit my waxable calipers just now. They won't fit under the 17" wheels. They were an impulse buy because they were such a good deal, but pretty sure I want to off them to keep my 17's. These things are pretty much top 'o the line from Wilwood. I want improved braking performance for the track, but realistically will never go anyway so why waste the money and ride hit for 18's? Reviews are that these are phenomenal, doe. These can use either stock C6Z51 or C6Z06 rotors...they come with spacers for either.

Anyone interested? I'll sell them to a DFDer for what I paid ($675 shipped, you pick up paypal fees, but I'll take Venmo) before posting them on the gold chainz forum or the like for $750.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-C-5-a ... true&rt=nc
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:00 pm Itching to know the answer, I test fit my waxable calipers just now. They won't fit under the 17" wheels. They were an impulse buy because they were such a good deal, but pretty sure I want to off them to keep my 17's. These things are pretty much top 'o the line from Wilwood. I want improved braking performance for the track, but realistically will never go anyway so why waste the money and ride hit for 18's? Reviews are that these are phenomenal, doe. These can use either stock C6Z51 or C6Z06 rotors...they come with spacers for either.

Anyone interested? I'll sell them to a DFDer for what I paid ($675 shipped, you pick up paypal fees, but I'll take Venmo) before posting them on the gold chainz forum or the like for $750.

Tempting but trying to resist. Really, the stock brakes work pretty well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I kind of want to get these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-CORV ... Bg&vxp=mtr

:notsure: about finding another pair :doe: .

I really dig this: https://midwestwheelandtire.com/product ... -wheel-rim

But reconditioned wheels... :notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:00 pm Itching to know the answer, I test fit my waxable calipers just now. They won't fit under the 17" wheels. They were an impulse buy because they were such a good deal, but pretty sure I want to off them to keep my 17's. These things are pretty much top 'o the line from Wilwood. I want improved braking performance for the track, but realistically will never go anyway so why waste the money and ride hit for 18's? Reviews are that these are phenomenal, doe. These can use either stock C6Z51 or C6Z06 rotors...they come with spacers for either.

Depends how much you intend to track. My last track experience, the brakes really let me down. Not sure if it was the pads or what, but it was not great. It's what prompted me to get these calipers (and they were a good :dill: ).

But really, I don't want to pay more for 18's on the front. Need to buy wheels, tires are more expensive, and I'll probably bend at least one wheel within a year. No thanks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:53 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 am

Depends how much you intend to track. My last track experience, the brakes really let me down. Not sure if it was the pads or what, but it was not great. It's what prompted me to get these calipers (and they were a good :dill: ).

But really, I don't want to pay more for 18's on the front. Need to buy wheels, tires are more expensive, and I'll probably bend at least one wheel within a year. No thanks.
:word:

On track the only things that really let me down were tires and seat. Other than that the car was :impressive:

Brakes would likely be a much bigger issue with driver mod. I actually found braking to be the most difficult part of track driving.