Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am
Don't need a gauge. Just kick em out as far as they'll go, then set toe back to zero.
Troy, how'd you check toe? String?
I put a flat board on the ground against each tire and use a laser measure between the boards, literally takes 3 minutes to set up and is way more consistent than dicking with strings/tapes.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am
Don't need a gauge. Just kick em out as far as they'll go, then set toe back to zero.
What's the max camber you can get with the stock c5 arms? I haven't really dug into the weeds with what some good settings are for camber and toe and all that jazz
Varies from car to car but around -2.5 degrees up front and -1.5 in the back. Remove any shims you might have behind your front upper control arms, then just rotate the lower eccentric bolts so that the arms are as far out as possible. Tighten the shit out of the front eccentrics, like 150 ft-lbs.

Pro-tip to keep your steering wheel centered: Do one side at a time. Adjust eccentrics on one side, put car back down and reset toe to zero (and steering wheel will then be centered again), then do the other side. Otherwise you'll most likely end up with the wheel off-center and have to adjust toe multiple times anyway to fix that.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am
Troy, how'd you check toe? String?
I put a flat board on the ground against each tire and use a laser measure between the boards, literally takes 3 minutes to set up and is way more consistent than dicking with strings/tapes.
I need to buy a laser measure. Solid plan. Do you jack the car up to get to the tie rods, or can you so it on the ground?

I really need to adjust my toe. I eye-balled it, and it's been mostly fine, but I'd like to dial it in better.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

All hail the tub.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

In Brub We Trust.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I'm getting closer and closer to making my own camber gauge setup. Did a bunch of reading last night. I might design something in Solidworks and build it. I need to get into welding. Simple small tube/angle iron shit like that would be cool to build.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 am I'm getting closer and closer to making my own camber gauge setup. Did a bunch of reading last night. I might design something in Solidworks and build it. I need to get into welding. Simple small tube/angle iron shit like that would be cool to build.
:bruh:

time and money. I bought min for like 50 bucks.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 am I'm getting closer and closer to making my own camber gauge setup. Did a bunch of reading last night. I might design something in Solidworks and build it. I need to get into welding. Simple small tube/angle iron shit like that would be cool to build.

I know. I'm also thinking of how to make it foolproof so I could make some for friends and shit. The kid across the street thinks my garage is AMAZABALLS when it's really just a bunch of stuff, an air compressor and normal tools acquired over the years. If I could show him how to set up his camber I'd be the coolest old guy on the street. I'd have to start vaping though to complete the pimpness.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:53 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 am

I know. I'm also thinking of how to make it foolproof so I could make some for friends and shit. The kid across the street thinks my garage is AMAZABALLS when it's really just a bunch of stuff, an air compressor and normal tools acquired over the years. If I could show him how to set up his camber I'd be the coolest old guy on the street. I'd have to start vaping though to complete the pimpness.
Step 0 in that process is coming up with a good solution for parking the car on a level (or at least flat) surface, that's where I ran into problems in my garage.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:53 am

Step 0 in that process is coming up with a good solution for parking the car on a level (or at least flat) surface, that's where I ran into problems in my garage.
:dat:

not to mention, how do you adjust things with the car on the ground. It's so low.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:58 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:57 am

not to mention, how do you adjust things with the car on the ground. It's so low.
I can't find any specific step by steps on this. But my theory is to take a baseline and record it. Let's say I want -2.5° of camber. If it's currently sitting at -1.0° and then I raise the car with my quick jack and it's at +2.0° when lifted due to the full expansion of the suspension, then I'd lift it, make the adjustments taking the difference between -2.5 and -1.0, and add that to +2.0°. So up in the air +2.0° would be adjusted until I got it at +0.5°. Then I'd bring it back down and settle the suspension a little, maybe take it around the block and see if it's correct and sitting at -2.5°.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong about this, but I've seen plenty of pictures online of people doing these adjustments without wheels on the cars so they're obviously taking all the unsprung weight off of them. And I can't find any real help with stupid "in the weeds" questions like this.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:58 am

I can't find any specific step by steps on this. But my theory is to take a baseline and record it. Let's say I want -2.5° of camber. If it's currently sitting at -1.0° and then I raise the car with my quick jack and it's at +2.0° when lifted due to the full expansion of the suspension, then I'd lift it, make the adjustments taking the difference between -2.5 and -1.0, and add that to +2.0°. So up in the air +2.0° would be adjusted until I got it at +0.5°. Then I'd bring it back down and settle the suspension a little, maybe take it around the block and see if it's correct and sitting at -2.5°.

I could be COMPLETELY wrong about this, but I've seen plenty of pictures online of people doing these adjustments without wheels on the cars so they're obviously taking all the unsprung weight off of them. And I can't find any real help with stupid "in the weeds" questions like this.
The geometry isn't simple enough to take meaningful measurements with the suspension anywhere but at regular loaded ride height AFAIK. DIY at home without a lift means using the guess and check method... measure car, make adjustments, drive around block to settle it, measure again. Repeat until desired result is achieved. In the case of an autox car you're usually looking for "all of the camber" anyway so it's not that big of a deal.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:21 am

The geometry isn't linear enough to take meaningful measurements with the suspension anywhere but at regular loaded ride height AFAIK. DIY at home without a lift means using the guess and check method... measure car, make adjustments, drive around block to settle it, measure again. Repeat until desired result is achieved. In the case of an autox car you're usually looking for "all of the camber" anyway so it's not that big of a deal.
Makes sense. For me, it's ok like that. It's my side bitch so I can let it sit for a while if I don't get it right and don't want to deal with it right away.
My thing is if I do this for friends I don't want to have a ton of back and forth.
troyguitar

Also, if I haven't already mentioned this:

Mark your alignment bolts and keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't slipping. Torque the fuck out of them too, like 150 ft-lbs in the front and 120 or so in the back. A simple sharpie line on each one makes a quick visual check before events easy.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

re: DIY alignments.

hubstands are the shit. I wish i had.

you can save yourself the 'drive the car around' step if you make lide plates. two metal plates with a dab of grease...or the low budget way.... ~10 layers of newspaper.

as to the actual adjusting, learn to get low and uncomfortable. I'd suggest loosening (not all the way dummy) all the bolts with the car in the air, make adjustments, raise for final torquing.

The first time you do it it will take longer than the shop. After that, about the same and save you money.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:57 am

you can save yourself the 'drive the car around' step if you make lide plates. two metal plates with a dab of grease...or the low budget way.... ~10 layers of newspaper.
LOL too much drama. Dude. 2X ziplock bags. Spray with WD40 or your favorite sex lube.
Place under tire. Turn wheels and do all your shit, remove excess and continue to fap in your garage and fill the bag with more goop.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:57 am

LOL too much drama. Dude. 2X ziplock bags. Spray with WD40 or your favorite sex lube.
Place under tire. Turn wheels and do all your shit, remove excess and continue to fap in your garage and fill the bag with more goop.
:notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

I just really need to get toe dialed in.
Acid666

Ordered tonight. LET'S GET THE PARTY STARTED!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wtf:
:fullretard:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:42 am Image

:notbad:
Now that's an off-road vehicle. Fuck 4x4 :bs:
ChrisoftheNorth

Not a C5... but :notbad:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:56 am Not a C5... but :notbad:

Perfect use of a C4 if you ask me.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.