Gberg's Covid Placitis?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

But what should I do? :crang:

Do nothing and hold out for a "fun" car like a 987 Gayman S, ND2 Miata, etc.
43%
Try for RS3
14%
Tesla Model 3 Performance
No votes
Something else I'm forgetting?
14%
Toaster
29%

Total votes: 7
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:59 pm
razr390 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:02 pm :iono: I think it's completely fine to be SATISFIED with a good thing if you have it. Why not invest in a hobby otherwise? It seems there is no NEED to change the car (impending doom, lemon, no warranty, unreliable, etc.) so why not just look into something else and put your time $ in that?

I am no longer a fan of creating an emergency in my mind just to justify a purchase of ANY kind.
I don’t see how he is creating an emergency, it’s not like he sold the R and now is scrambling to find some thing. He thinks he might want a new car after quite a few years in the same exact thing, if cars are what he’s interested in why should he try to find a new hobby that he may or may not care about? I would advise most people right now of purchasing a used car for more than new MSRP but other than that, who cares? He seems to be a pretty conservative dude :plac: -wise, I don’t think he’s going to do anything stupid.
This. There's no emergency. Just seeing if I can somehow take advantage of the situation and upgrade to a better car. And since I've never owned anything outside of VW, it seems especially strong.

Of course the Tesla idea makes sense because there is no negotiation on price. I don't know what F80 prices were pre-pandemic but 2018's are pretty much going for what they were new so I'm not sure it makes much sense. But then again, who knows when all this will subside and the market returns to normal. :iono:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:58 am

The 4 door requirement is really for the eventual :baby: which is why I stuck with an R for the second go around. Of course that hasn't happened yet but I don't want to be forced to :plac: if I don't have to so the flexibility would be nice to drive either car.

Sadly I haven't driven the R for fun in a long while. The only times I really can are if I'm by myself on the weekends.

One small bonus about a Model 3 is that there's already a charger at my in-laws shore place. So driving 90+ miles each way on summer weekends would cost almost nothing. But then again, it's not a big deal to take either gas car. It's just a "nice to have".
I’m curious to understand why you think charging an ev costs “almost nothing”?
It's definitely cheaper than gas right? I don't know all the :math: behind it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:12 am
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:04 am

I’m curious to understand why you think charging an ev costs “almost nothing”?
Right, there is a variety of factors. But essentially it’s about the equivalent of 30mpg. But it really depends on your electricity costs
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:31 pm Why 4 door requirement? Don't y'all have a Rav4 for road trips / HD mulch / dirty watermelon runs?

What's the goal with this car, just to have a fun vehicle? How often do you currently take the GoRf out for just a drive, being that you only have a 3 mile commute anymore? Will you take this potential car out for more fun hauls?

If you don't necessarily want to do fun all day drives, then a Model 3 will be fast as shit for freeway blasts, easy to live with for commuting, and cost little to operate. With a 3 mile typical drive... I'd have a hard time signing up for anything with a DI motor.
The 4 door requirement is really for the eventual :baby: which is why I stuck with an R for the second go around. Of course that hasn't happened yet but I don't want to be forced to :plac: if I don't have to so the flexibility would be nice to drive either car.

Sadly I haven't driven the R for fun in a long while. The only times I really can are if I'm by myself on the weekends.

One small bonus about a Model 3 is that there's already a charger at my in-laws shore place. So driving 90+ miles each way on summer weekends would cost almost nothing. But then again, it's not a big deal to take either gas car. It's just a "nice to have".
Ah yeah 4 door is def easier to live with if a kid is a factor.

Hard decision. If you want something fun and sporty go for it. If it’s not going to be used for fun drive days or track use then I’d have a hard time signing up for that as a daily machine again. I used my STI but even then it was pretty intense to live with.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:21 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:12 am

Right, there is a variety of factors. But essentially it’s about the equivalent of 30mpg. But it really depends on your electricity costs
Multiple people have told me they "noticed no difference in the electric bill" when adding an EV. I sort of think they are full of :bs: , like my electric bill is $50-80/month, if it's equivalent to 30 MPGee I would be basically doubling my power bill even though I don't drive all that much.

Power is cheap here though.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Multiple people have told me they "noticed no difference in the electric bill" when adding an EV. I sort of think they are full of :bs: , like my electric bill is $50-80/month, if it's equivalent to 30 MPGee I would be basically doubling my power bill even though I don't drive all that much.

:lol: @ those people. I mean I am shocked (pun intended) at most peoples understanding of electricity and their power bills. Most look at it from a $ perspective and that's it. This month $50 "omg why was august so expensive at $200 oh it must have been AC"

That's their understanding.

What's your per KWH rate?
max225

Based on some googling. Y'all are around 15c per kw. The average EV gets about 3 miles per KW. So 5 cents a mile "Fuel" costs... but you also lose about 20% between the EV and your grid... so ~ 6 cents per mile. 1000 miles per month is $60.

looks like a gallon of regular is about $3.20 in Charlotte. So in this case it is ~ 50mpg equivalent.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:01 pm

Hard decision. If you want something fun and sporty go for it. If it’s not going to be used for fun drive days or track use then I’d have a hard time signing up for that as a daily machine again. I used my STI but even then it was pretty intense to live with.
:dat: If what you want is a nice daily that can occasionally be quick and fun, an R is honestly pretty damn good at that job. I would personally rather a CTR, STI, etc. but they will be worse dailies. Holding out for a new CTR could be an idea? Or perhaps the Integra?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:48 pm Based on some googling. Y'all are around 15c per kw. The average EV gets about 3 miles per KW. So 5 cents a mile "Fuel" costs... but you also lose about 20% between the EV and your grid... so ~ 6 cents per mile. 1000 miles per month is $60.

looks like a gallon of regular is about $3.20 in Charlotte. So in this case it is ~ 50mpg equivalent.
Yep, that all sounds about right. I was in SC for track days this weekend and saw gas for as low as $2.87. I filled up with 93 for $3.65 :notbad: I don't think I'll be getting an EV anytime soon, although it would be cool if our :jeep: was the plug-in, we could pretty much cover all drives other than road trips with EV range and in a non-depressing vehicle.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

WOW.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:21 pm

WOW.
I am an earth hugging mothuhfuckah.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:48 pm Based on some googling. Y'all are around 15c per kw. The average EV gets about 3 miles per KW. So 5 cents a mile "Fuel" costs... but you also lose about 20% between the EV and your grid... so ~ 6 cents per mile. 1000 miles per month is $60.

Prius economy with mustang GT performance isn’t bad.

Can’t hurt to test out / borrow a Model 3.
max225

WOW.
Other than 2 AC months a year, I am at $30-$75
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:02 pm

WOW.
2 months only? :notsure: The real surprise is that Dan lives in a place that can run hot and humid over a significant period of time.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:19 pm
2 months only? :notsure: The real surprise is that Dan lives in a place that can run hot and humid over a significant period of time.
Yep. August and September.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:19 pm
Ours is actually higher in winter with electric heat. Programming the AC smart plus having a pretty small and efficient house keeps that pretty :notbad:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It sucks because I want to drive it more but haven’t. :(
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Right now the station I pass everyday is $4.19 for premium. :yikes: And it’s the cheapest around me unless I decide to drive 25 min out of the way to Costco
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:52 pm

:dat: If what you want is a nice daily that can occasionally be quick and fun, an R is honestly pretty damn good at that job. I would personally rather a CTR, STI, etc. but they will be worse dailies. Holding out for a new CTR could be an idea? Or perhaps the Integra?
I definitely like the new CTR, even in disguised form, but I can only imagine the games to be played on that car. And with how badly Subaru botched the WRX I’m :notsure: on new STI. But as a whole I think I’d rather just keep the R versus jumping to a competitor in the same class.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:09 pm

Right now the station I pass everyday is $4.19 for premium. :yikes: And it’s the cheapest around me unless I decide to drive 25 min out of the way to Costco
And what does your electricity cost?
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:06 pm

It sucks because I want to drive it more but haven’t. :(
You’ll drive even less with the CF
I shit on the CRV a lot but damn does it make life easier. I can sit in the passenger seat without moving it forward because of his enormous kid throne and sometimes that’s all that matters.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I drive a lot with the kiddo but only cuz we have to (San Antonio isn’t exactly a let’s walk 1-10 blocks to the park city). GTI has been more than fine. I think you’d love the R as a “dad car” that’s still fun. I take her to car shows whenever we have the opportunity to go and it feels good to have a “car enthusiast” car that I can actually live with as well.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:27 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:09 pm

And what does your electricity cost?
Last bill was $0.0660 per kWh.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:31 pm I drive a lot with the kiddo but only cuz we have to (San Antonio isn’t exactly a let’s walk 1-10 blocks to the park city). GTI has been more than fine. I think you’d love the R as a “dad car” that’s still fun. I take her to car shows whenever we have the opportunity to go and it feels good to have a “car enthusiast” car that I can actually live with as well.
But isn’t an RS3 or an F80 M3 an even cooler dad car?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:31 pm I drive a lot with the kiddo but only cuz we have to (San Antonio isn’t exactly a let’s walk 1-10 blocks to the park city). GTI has been more than fine. I think you’d love the R as a “dad car” that’s still fun. I take her to car shows whenever we have the opportunity to go and it feels good to have a “car enthusiast” car that I can actually live with as well.
But isn’t an RS3 or an F80 M3 an even cooler dad car?