Mini-To keep or to replace with a Toaster?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Hey y'all I am currently torn on what to do with the mini cooper.

Every single one of my car moves has always been prompted my some sort of employment/residence change... and guess what. I moved (Last August) and offices are likely changing into a more WFH friendly atmosphere. Also I got a solar system installed so I would LOVE to take advantage of the "free" power I am generating.

That said, I am about 45miles (one way) from the office, as is the woman. So figure around 90 miles round trip.

The question at hand is what to do with the mini cooper... ?!
Neither one of us is driving it and it's turned into a surplus vehicle (total of 600 miles in the last 6 months).
She has a 2010 TSX she's been taking to work and we drive the Taco every time we "travel". In addition I am not returning to the office until September at the earliest and at that point it'll be 1 day a week (90mile RT) and 1 day on the train.

I was thinking about purchasing an electric/some sort of hybrid vehicle to also take advantage of my new solar system. This would allow me to "charge for free" at home.

The current prime runner for me is the 2019+ BMW I3s. CPO units are around 26-29k and will likely drop further. The range is around 120 miles which is shit, but it also has a gasoline backup just in case. It checks every box for me other than the range. I can't seem to be able to find good info on what real world looks like and whether one can charge it 0-100% daily.

The other options are Teslas... but that would require a 50k outlay for a model 3... which I am not super keen on... I suppose one thing I can do is sell both the Tacoma + Mini and a get a model X (95k)... but I am not 100% that's the way to go here as I really do enjoy the tacoma and the Model X is quite pricy...

Either way what say yee... This is a bit of a brainstorming thread for me as I am not certain which way to go.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

My :wrong: $.02

You love the Taco and are finding the :truk: aspect useful and it's new so keep that.

Does she like driving the Mini? If so, why not off the old TSX and keep the Mini? I know it's still in good shape and all but it's 11 YO and not getting any younger...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Can always get rid of it while the market is on fire and just wait it out.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Melon wrote:Can always get rid of it while the market is on fire and just wait it out.
:dat:

You don't drive it anyway.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'd personally ditch the Mini and get nothing.
max225

wap wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:51 am My :wrong: $.02

You love the Taco and are finding the :truk: aspect useful and it's new so keep that.

Does she like driving the Mini? If so, why not off the old TSX and keep the Mini? I know it's still in good shape and all but it's 11 YO and not getting any younger...
Tsx has a full maintenance history since day 1 and I have been maintaining it in the last 6+ years... It'll go 300k miles without issue. So I have no real reliability concerns there. If anything I trust it more than I trust the mini.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:56 am I'd personally ditch the Mini and get nothing.
This would be the case for 5-6 months. However Teslas never had deals etc, so they are immune to the current "crazy market". The delivery date on a model X is feb if I place an order today...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:56 am I'd personally ditch the Mini and get nothing.
This would be the case for 5-6 months. However Teslas never had deals etc, so they are immune to the current "crazy market". The delivery date on a model X is feb if I place an order today...
It's nice to buy local (Tesla), but if you're not particular the ID4 should be out soon, and is probably a cheaper version of the X, and may have nicer creature comforts? I haven't looked into it that much, but there is a lot of new stuff coming out in a year or two. I'd kind of lay low personally, and just sell the Mini. You have a good enough line up of cars to do everything without it for now.

Do you know what your total cash savings on gas will be yearly? Is money a factor, or just the satisfaction of emission/gas stop free travel? From a personal note, I'd also be itching to take advantage of the free electricity?

How much does the solar system vary from sunny to overcast? I wonder if it is worthwhile to install up here?
max225

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:26 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:06 pm

It's nice to buy local (Tesla), but if you're not particular the ID4 should be out soon, and is probably a cheaper version of the X, and may have nicer creature comforts? I haven't looked into it that much, but there is a lot of new stuff coming out in a year or two. I'd kind of lay low personally, and just sell the Mini. You have a good enough line up of cars to do everything without it for now.

Do you know what your total cash savings on gas will be yearly? Is money a factor, or just the satisfaction of emission/gas stop free travel? From a personal note, I'd also be itching to take advantage of the free electricity?

How much does the solar system vary from sunny to overcast? I wonder if it is worthwhile to install up here?
We have tons of ID'4s here. I see them multiple times a day. They are more of a competitor to the model Y, which is WAY faster and has a longer range also. Tesla specific charging really puts them over top over all other EV's IMO. 180 miles in 15 min is the advertised V3 supercharge charge rate... which is really :notbad:
Last edited by max225 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The MINI will never be worth more than it is right now, and even then MINIs are challenged in values like always. It's just going to go down, so offing it isn't a bad idea if you're not going to drive it much.

The EV market right now blows. A lot of stuff coming down the pipe, but it's still a ways off. In another year or two, maybe? I wouldnt' buy a Tesla, personally.

Have you considered a Polestar 2? I think they look really neat, and I keep getting ads in FBM from them for an extra $1k on trade-in assistance on an ICE vehicle for one. Lease it for a few years, enjoy the free miles, then buy something cooler when there's better stuff on the market. Like a Rivian R1S could be interesting to replace the Taco perhaps? GM should have a bunch of stuff coming out in a few years too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:26 pm

We have tons of ID'4s here. I see them multiple times a day. They are more of a competitor to the model Y, which is WAY faster and has a longer range also. Tesla specific charging really puts them over top over all other EV's IMO. 180 miles in 15 min is the advertised V3 supercharge charge rate... which is really :notbad:
Yea, but how many V3 chargers are there that you can get access to outside of your direct area (like if you're on a trip in Nevada or something like that).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Dang. If I knew you wanted to off the Mini I would have considered that over the Hyundai.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:35 pm Dang. If I knew you wanted to off the Mini I would have considered that over the Hyundai.
Not :manuel: though.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:34 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:29 pm
Yea, but how many V3 chargers are there that you can get access to outside of your direct area (like if you're on a trip in Nevada or something like that).
Hard to answer this one... but the infrastructure for Tesla charging is just second to none still, and rapidly expanding... to this day. There are also Tesla specific chargers in a lot of nice locations.

So the fun part is... Tesla can charge at tesla and anywhere else... whereas all other EVs can't access tesla charging.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Since you can charge at home I would go Mach E. They appear to be beating the EPA range on the highway, which should be enough for day trips and running errands in addition to your normal commute. Dealer serviceability is also great. In4 Max test drives though.

https://turo.com/us/en/suv-rental/unite ... d=cnw1UyQD

You could turo one for a week even and see if the electric car life is for you
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:34 pm
Hard to answer this one... but the infrastructure for Tesla charging is just second to none still, and rapidly expanding... to this day. There are also Tesla specific chargers in a lot of nice locations.

So the fun part is... Tesla can charge at tesla and anywhere else... whereas all other EVs can't access tesla charging.
It absolutely is second to none, my only point was to not get too excited about V3 promises. They're probably all around your house (which is worthless since you'll charge at home), but rolling them out to areas in the middle of nowhere is going to take a while, if ever.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:53 pm Since you can charge at home I would go Mach E. They appear to be beating the EPA range on the highway, which should be enough for day trips and running errands in addition to your normal commute. Dealer serviceability is also great. In4 Max test drives though.

Ford quality is job last with an EV with all brand new tech to the company. I'd pass.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:53 pm Since you can charge at home I would go Mach E. They appear to be beating the EPA range on the highway, which should be enough for day trips and running errands in addition to your normal commute. Dealer serviceability is also great. In4 Max test drives though.

Yea see the issue is that in the 50k price range... ID4/Mustang E/Polestar etc are far inferior to Tesla IMO.
326 mile range 4.8 0-60. The gap is much closer...

All others are slower and have lower ranges spec to spec at roughly the same price. And they do not feature the supercharging network. Which IMO is a huge plus. right now V3 charges at 1000miles per hr... from what I saw on the screen shots my friends sent me. Location wise this is TBD I can't comfortably speak to where they charge at these rates. But no matter what, superchargers charge quicker than ANY OTHER brand/vehicle even in their "slow" state.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm

Ford quality is job last with an EV with all brand new tech to the company. I'd pass.
I mean it's been out for what 8 mo now? By the time this thread hits 69 pages there should be a pretty good sample of these on the road. They've sold nearly 13k YTD which is actually much better than I was expecting.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:42 am Hey y'all I am currently torn on what to do with the mini cooper.

Every single one of my car moves has always been prompted my some sort of employment/residence change... and guess what. I moved (Last August) and offices are likely changing into a more WFH friendly atmosphere. Also I got a solar system installed so I would LOVE to take advantage of the "free" power I am generating.

That said, I am about 45miles (one way) from the office, as is the woman. So figure around 90 miles round trip.

The question at hand is what to do with the mini cooper... ?!
Neither one of us is driving it and it's turned into a surplus vehicle (total of 600 miles in the last 6 months).
She has a 2010 TSX she's been taking to work and we drive the Taco every time we "travel". In addition I am not returning to the office until September at the earliest and at that point it'll be 1 day a week (90mile RT) and 1 day on the train.

I was thinking about purchasing an electric/some sort of hybrid vehicle to also take advantage of my new solar system. This would allow me to "charge for free" at home.

The current prime runner for me is the 2019+ BMW I3s. CPO units are around 26-29k and will likely drop further. The range is around 120 miles which is shit, but it also has a gasoline backup just in case. It checks every box for me other than the range. I can't seem to be able to find good info on what real world looks like and whether one can charge it 0-100% daily.

The other options are Teslas... but that would require a 50k outlay for a model 3... which I am not super keen on... I suppose one thing I can do is sell both the Tacoma + Mini and a get a model X (95k)... but I am not 100% that's the way to go here as I really do enjoy the tacoma and the Model X is quite pricy...

Either way what say yee... This is a bit of a brainstorming thread for me as I am not certain which way to go.
What kind of $ can you get for that nasty bitch?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Yea see the issue is that in the 50k price range... ID4/Mustang E/Polestar etc are far inferior to Tesla IMO.

All others are slower and have lower ranges spec to spec at roughly the same price. And they do not feature the supercharging network. Which IMO is a huge plus. right now V3 charges at 1000miles per hr... from what I saw on the screen shots my friends sent me. Location wise this is TBD I can't comfortably speak to where they charge at these rates. But no matter what, superchargers charge quicker than ANY OTHER brand/vehicle even in their "slow" state.
Tesla's might look superior on paper but there might be things you like more about the Ford too if you tried it. It's clearly competitive enough to sell in better numbers than any other non Tesla. I know the supercharger network is unmatched and it's not even close, but if you plan on driving more than 300mi per day you still have two ICE cars?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:55 pm
I mean it's been out for what 8 mo now? By the time this thread hits 69 pages there should be a pretty good sample of these on the road. They've sold nearly 13k YTD which is actually much better than I was expecting.
Yea one of my neighbors has one. Which is refreshing as everyone else has a Model X/Y/3.

But ford is new to this... There are a LOT of growing pains for other brands...

I.E Take a look at Leaf failed batteries... I3 has failed batteries in the early models also.

Tesla seems to be the only one that lasts about 8 years... and maintains near advertised mileage.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:04 pm

Tesla's might look superior on paper but there might be things you like more about the Ford too if you tried it. It's clearly competitive enough to sell in better numbers than any other non Tesla. I know the supercharger network is unmatched and it's not even close, but if you plan on driving more than 300mi per day you still have two ICE cars?
As mentioned the advertised range is severely overstated in real world driving. You're supposed to only go up to 80% of charge and down to 20%... so effectively 60% of the advertised 300 ~180 miles. And I think I do that about 2x a month.
ChrisoftheNorth

What are you using this thing for? Are you actually looking to take this thing on trips to where the charging network matters? I thought you were looking for an EV you can charge for free and then commute for free in? The charging network is irrelevant in that regard, ANY EV you're considering will do the round trip on one charge at home.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:07 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:04 pm

As mentioned the advertised range is severely overstated in real world driving. You're supposed to only go up to 80% of charge and down to 20%... so effectively 60% of the advertised 300 ~180 miles. And I think I do that about 2x a month.
Most EVs have the 80/20 programmed in so 0 range isn't really 0 and "full" isn't really full. I know Tesla does this, part of why the batteries are lasting with minimal range degradation.