Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:rage:
Fucking missing links. :disappoint:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 am

I never drove the C30 but I really wanted one for a while. Loved the look of them and the interior/seats were totally spot on at the time it was released. But every single review said the GTI was the better car, and the price drove me away from it. Kind of :disappoint: in myself for not looking at it, but I doubt I'd have bought one because a more relaxed drive wasn't what I wanted at the time I was GTI shopping.
Yeah - I recall reading much of the same - a bit meh on the driving dynamic side of things. The interiors were great though. I was cross-shopping them when I was looking for a FiST. Lack of aftermarket was an issue for me as well. I'd still consider a Polestar C30 though if I ran across one for the right price.
I liked the C30 a lot. That P1800 frameless hatch.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:59 am

Yeah - I recall reading much of the same - a bit meh on the driving dynamic side of things. The interiors were great though. I was cross-shopping them when I was looking for a FiST. Lack of aftermarket was an issue for me as well. I'd still consider a Polestar C30 though if I ran across one for the right price.
https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... /100949929
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 pm

YASSSSSSSSSSSS.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 pm

:megusta:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:29 am Reviews are coming in for the XC40. Apparently auto mags are rather impressed by it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... ive-review
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-re ... -vs-bmw-x1
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/volvo/xc ... ve-review/

0-60 in 6.1
248 HP 2.0T with 8AT
AWD
Has a spare tire :notbad:
Corners competently and has a smooth ride
Supposedly the seats aren't up to typically very high Volvo standards of comfort

$41,385 gets you a gray one with orange interior carpets, 20" rams, HK audio, roof load bars, and floor mats. :notbad: competitively priced against the X1.

sounds like something I can see myself in.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote:So, full disclosure... I went and drove a Golf Alltrack last night. Have a friend who runs a VW dealer so I took a 45 minute drive to see him, shoot the shit, and kick some tires since I think the Alltrack is an interesting car.

So, I drove a fully loaded DSG SEL model. LED headlights, Driver Assistance Package, Fender Audio, 8" touchscreen, sport seats, etc. Nice car. But man, it just felt like a slug - didn't match my expectations whatsoever after reading all the praise for the 1.8T + DSG combo from the car rags and forumbrehs. Inside is quiet, there's no soundaktor, so no fun noises - car needs an exhaust or something, bad. DSG shifts seemed... slushy. It needs a 2.0T from the GTI. It just felt... muted. Nice, but muted.

I also drove a base 1.8T Sportwagen with the :manuel: and came away really impressed with that car. VW's manual shifters have gotten really good - bolt rifle good. Also, the base headunit with carplay is really impressive. The 8" unit in the SEL was great, but not really necessary after playing with the base unit.

So, if I ever lost my fucking mind and got off the :truk: train, I'd have to do a :manuel: Alltrack.
I would imagine the 1.8t struggling with awd powertrain loss.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:25 pm
Calvinball wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Perhaps a little bit. But it also the transmission didn't feel snappy, like it had been... slushified.

Either way, pressing the little flappy buttons to shift just didn't rustle my jimmies the right way.

My :truk: is fun on rough backroads, doe.
Could be remedied by a gayPR ecu and tcu toon! But yeah, they probably dumbed down the DSG for alltrack because those buyers probably don't care. A :manuel: alltrack would be nice but it sucks you can't get top trim with it.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote:So, full disclosure... I went and drove a Golf Alltrack last night. Have a friend who runs a VW dealer so I took a 45 minute drive to see him, shoot the shit, and kick some tires since I think the Alltrack is an interesting car.

So, I drove a fully loaded DSG SEL model. LED headlights, Driver Assistance Package, Fender Audio, 8" touchscreen, sport seats, etc. Nice car. But man, it just felt like a slug - didn't match my expectations whatsoever after reading all the praise for the 1.8T + DSG combo from the car rags and forumbrehs. Inside is quiet, there's no soundaktor, so no fun noises - car needs an exhaust or something, bad. DSG shifts seemed... slushy. It needs a 2.0T from the GTI. It just felt... muted. Nice, but muted.

I also drove a base 1.8T Sportwagen with the :manuel: and came away really impressed with that car. VW's manual shifters have gotten really good - bolt rifle good. Also, the base headunit with carplay is really impressive. The 8" unit in the SEL was great, but not really necessary after playing with the base unit.

So, if I ever lost my fucking mind and got off the :truk: train, I'd have to do a :manuel: Alltrack.

Can’t possibly be that bad... 3400-3500lbs and 170-80hp should be somewhat not dangerously slow
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Can’t possibly be that bad... 3400-3500lbs and 170-80hp should be somewhat not dangerously slow
All it needs is an APR tune then it'll slay Golf R's.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I'd like to test a base AWD Sportwagen with DSG and a tune. Can't see it being worth $30k no matter what :doe:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 am So, full disclosure... I went and drove a Golf Alltrack last night. Have a friend who runs a VW dealer so I took a 45 minute drive to see him, shoot the shit, and kick some tires since I think the Alltrack is an interesting car.

I concur on the DSG Alltrack. I had one for a loaner one day last year. It was quite nice, solid, quiet, etc, but not really fun. I also thought it was slow and the DSG felt nothing like the one in my :turboyaris: . Probably fine for the :derp: s they're targeting this to.

I want to try a Sportwagon DSG, too. I'd love the 6M but :tits: :doe:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 am So, full disclosure... I went and drove a Golf Alltrack last night. Have a friend who runs a VW dealer so I took a 45 minute drive to see him, shoot the shit, and kick some tires since I think the Alltrack is an interesting car.

IIRC you also drove a mk7 GTI with DSG right? With stock TCU, my impressions are pretty much same as you, but after I did the uni tcu stage 1, it felt smoother and felt like it should have come from the factory. In other words, downshifts doesn't feel like you're learning to drive manual after tuning it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:56 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:55 pm

All it needs is an APR tune then it'll slay Golf R's.
LMAO!!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:10 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:47 pm

IIRC you also drove a mk7 GTI with DSG right? With stock TCU, my impressions are pretty much same as you, but after I did the uni tcu stage 1, it felt smoother and felt like it should have come from the factory. In other words, downshifts doesn't feel like you're learning to drive manual after tuning it.
Nah, I had a Mk6 6MT. I haven't had an automatic transmission since 2006.
I remember your mk6 and it was a pretty clean one, I remember you said something like you drove a mk7 when you were working for AWE and said something like it wasn't a fun car for me or somewhere along those lines, but wasn't yours.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 pm

LMAO!!
t00n would definitely wake it up.
but slay R's, lesser hp, smaller displacement, and quite heavier. Couldn't speak much for turbo size of the 1.8t in comparison to the GTI engine. Atleast the AWD can make up the traction vs wrong wheel drive.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm t00n would definitely wake it up.
but slay R's, lesser hp, smaller displacement, and quite heavier. Couldn't speak much for turbo size of the 1.8t in comparison to the GTI engine. Atleast the AWD can make up the traction vs wrong wheel drive.
Those morans doe, leaving shit on da table.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm

t00n would definitely wake it up.
I’m an AWD believer
max225

Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:46 pm https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/hyun ... 00928.html

Behold everyone’s dream car !
The POAD POD
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:46 pm https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/hyun ... 00928.html

:disgust:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/hyun ... 00928.html

It even gets the GTI wheels.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:22 pm
max225 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/hyun ... 00928.html

It even gets the GTI wheels.
But it’s better because Hyundai is an aspirational brand and black unpainted cladding is super sporty.
Johnny_P

I don't hate the Tucson. I think it looks :notbad: and you can get it wtih a DCT and turbro :iono:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 pm I don't hate the Tucson. I think it looks :notbad: and you can get it wtih a DCT and turbro :iono:
What’s this dct love ? They don’t belong in vehicles that you get when you give up on life. Too many drawbacks