No Bullshit, I am running for President

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

I like this.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Im sure they do, hell I was fortunate enough to have many of these type as teachers.

But there are a fucking ass load of teachers that land in teaching because they got some liberal arts degree in college and goes "well wtf do i do with this to earn some money?" That answer is teaching.

Hell [user not found], you have a photography degree? You could be a teacher, but would rather sell cars to make your dollar. How many of your class mates landed in teaching positions? I bet A WHOLE LOT. I bet they have a kick ass art class too but 3rd period civis... their heart ain't in that.

Supply and demand is the core of it. simply increasing pay will not attract better talent. You need to thin the pool of teachers to get rid of the shitty ones and have high hiring standards. Then pay will rise because good teachers are in DEMAND and supply is LOW.

Throwing a bigger paycheck at the problem will not solve anything
Supply is already nearly zero if you only count talented people. Demand is also zero though because salaries are too low.

You will NEVER see a increase in talent level without massively increasing salaries FIRST.

I went to fucking MIT. I don't know a single person who went into teaching afterward. Zero. They won't even consider it. Many talk about how they'd like to teach as a "retirement" plan after they've made money elsewhere, but that's it. It's not a viable career path for smart people.

Make teaching a legit way to get ahead and smart people will get in the game.
You went to MIT? How has this never come up?
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

Well, FWIW, my high school math teacher went to Harvard. Dude changed my life.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

My sister is going back to school to be a teacher. She originally was a double major in anthropology and humanities with a minor in philosophy.... so she's a flight attendant now. But she is freaking amazing with kids. I don't understand where this came from because she used to be more like me. As a teacher I think I would rather have someone like her, who can actually communicate with kids, than someone very knowledgeable but unable to connect.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

haleyann wrote:My sister is going back to school to be a teacher. She originally was a double major in anthropology and humanities with a minor in philosophy.... so she's a flight attendant now. But she is freaking amazing with kids. I don't understand where this came from because she used to be more like me. As a teacher I think I would rather have someone like her, who can actually communicate with kids, than someone very knowledgeable but unable to connect.
At least her degrees kinda go together. :foreveralone:
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Im sure they do, hell I was fortunate enough to have many of these type as teachers.

But there are a fucking ass load of teachers that land in teaching because they got some liberal arts degree in college and goes "well wtf do i do with this to earn some money?" That answer is teaching.

Hell [user not found], you have a photography degree? You could be a teacher, but would rather sell cars to make your dollar. How many of your class mates landed in teaching positions? I bet A WHOLE LOT. I bet they have a kick ass art class too but 3rd period civis... their heart ain't in that.

Supply and demand is the core of it. simply increasing pay will not attract better talent. You need to thin the pool of teachers to get rid of the shitty ones and have high hiring standards. Then pay will rise because good teachers are in DEMAND and supply is LOW.

Throwing a bigger paycheck at the problem will not solve anything
Supply is already nearly zero if you only count talented people. Demand is also zero though because salaries are too low.

You will NEVER see a increase in talent level without massively increasing salaries FIRST.

I went to fucking MIT. I don't know a single person who went into teaching afterward. Zero. They won't even consider it. Many talk about how they'd like to teach as a "retirement" plan after they've made money elsewhere, but that's it. It's not a viable career path for smart people.

Wait, you went to MIT? did you graduate? how is it you are sucking at life so bad if you were smart enough for MI fucking T??!!!?!?
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Supply is already nearly zero if you only count talented people. Demand is also zero though because salaries are too low.

I don't want people that went to MIT teaching my children. I want people that went to MIT working at NASA or in private industry.

I want my children's teachers to have gone to a good state school and learned their topic very well.

I don't need a potential physicist teaching high school physics or calculous.

College professors are often the best of the best due to their opportunity to do research, have a stable job, and make a good salary. I am fine with people using that as a retirement plan.

The best and brightest should be out making shit!
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Supply is already nearly zero if you only count talented people. Demand is also zero though because salaries are too low.

Wait, you went to MIT? did you graduate? how is it you are sucking at life so bad if you were smart enough for MI fucking T??!!!?!?
:lolol:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

:dat:

The hole gets deeper and deeper.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote:Lastly, I don't think the American people are dumb, they vote very well for their own personal interests at the moment they walk into the voting booth.

:dat: :dat: :dat: :dat: :dat:
lagunasecaballs wrote:Well, FWIW, my high school math teacher went to Harvard. Dude changed my life.
I also had a very sharp HS math teacher that influenced my life in a good way
brain go brrrrrr
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2017 Subaru STi / Vapemachine

:lolol: :lolol:
I like rumbles, vape juice and mudflaps :gay:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Does this constitute "brad fax?"
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

He's actually trolling us and brings in 7 figures. :lol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

I transferred out. Couldn't afford to stay.

Being smart doesn't lead to money anyway. Social skills are WAY WAY WAY more important. I wish someone had forced me to play team sports and do social shit every day instead of sitting home alone working on physics problems.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
I transferred out. Couldn't afford to stay.

Being smart doesn't lead to money anyway. Social skills are WAY WAY WAY more important. I wish someone had forced me to play team sports and do social shit every day instead of sitting home alone working on physics problems.
What did you study?
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Started in physics, finished at Wayne state in Detroit with a useless BS in math. Gotta have a grad degree to do anything with math as it turns out...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote:Started in physics, finished at Wayne state in Detroit with a useless BS in math. Gotta have a grad degree to do anything with math as it turns out...
Yes. Y U NO ENGINEER.

Also, you could do geology with a math degree, those guys make BANK.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Started in physics, finished at Wayne state in Detroit with a useless BS in math. Gotta have a grad degree to do anything with math as it turns out...
Yes. Y U NO ENGINEER.

Also can confirm social skills are negotiable with engineers.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Yes. Y U NO ENGINEER.

Engineering would have taken 3 more years because of stupid course pre-requisites.

I also assumed (wrongly) that actual skills were more important than a word on a resume. I'd been building and working on and racing shit since I was 5 plus had all of the analytical skills, that seemed plenty sufficient for an entry level automotive engineering position to me...

WRONG!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Yes. Y U NO ENGINEER.

Engineering would have taken 3 more years because of stupid course pre-requisites.

I also assumed (wrongly) that actual skills were more important than a word on a resume. I'd been building and working on and racing shit since I was 5 plus had all of the analytical skills, that seemed plenty sufficient for an entry level automotive engineering position to me...

WRONG!
You were also looking when there were no jobs to be had.

Now, they'll hire anyone with a degree remotely close to engineering to engineer. Hell, I had an engineering manager tell me he'd consider hiring me with a marketing degree. Demand is insane, supply is negligible. There's thousands of unfilled jerbs in Warren right now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Old retiring on a massive scale, young people too focused on following their dreams in changing the world than to work on smelly archaic cars.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

:iono:

This was 2011 not 2009, supposedly in the height of the "recovery"

I applied to like 500 auto engineering entry level jobs including many where I had personal friends at the companies. Hell my dad was in his 31st year with GM at the time.

I got a total of 2 interviews and zero callbacks or offers.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote::iono:

I applied to like 500 auto engineering entry level jobs including many where I had personal friends at the companies. Hell my dad was in his 31st year with GM at the time.

No, 2011 was still crunch time for the industry. Cost cutting, recovery, and a bunch of olds fighting for their jobs.
And they only recently realized that. Now, the desperation for young engineers is :impressive: So many olds are retiring now that their 401k's are back.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote::iono:

No, 2011 was still crunch time for the industry. Cost cutting, recovery, and a bunch of olds fighting for their jobs.
And they only recently realized that. Now, the desperation for young engineers is :impressive: So many olds are retiring now that their 401k's are back.
Too late. I would have jumped at a $35k entry level job then. Now I can't afford to move back for less than $150k. Even then I'd probably decline. The traffic and weather and roads are so much better here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Calvinball wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Yes. Y U NO ENGINEER.

Also can confirm social skills are negotiable with engineers.

gotta be able to smell your own....
troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote: No, 2011 was still crunch time for the industry. Cost cutting, recovery, and a bunch of olds fighting for their jobs.
Too late. I would have jumped at a $35k entry level job then. Now I can't afford to move back for less than $150k. Even then I'd probably decline. The traffic and weather and roads are so much better here.
that sucks man.
brain go brrrrrr