Technology and politics

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

Apparently this passed the senate today. How do we allow this? How do we allow uneducated, old senators vote for technological issues? They don't know how computers or the internet work. I am noticing this more and more. Technology related laws and issues are being written or compared to old laws from the early 1900s because of the constitution or whatever...but they don't actually apply. But then you get fucked.

Someone posted a comment asking about what if they sell your medical research history? If you started to research a lot about cancer symptoms...what if insurance companies can now buy this information off of the Internet Service Providers? They aren't protected by HIPPA laws. Then all of a sudden you might have "pre-existing conditions".

And the ages of the senators who voted yes:

Last edited by nuggstein on Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:crang:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

That's a lot of :rage: and :disappoint: right there.

These are the types of people who said that the internet is "a series of tubes" :rolleyes:
:doomed:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 pm Apparently this passed the senate today. How do we allow this? How do we allow uneducated, old senators vote for anything, especially things that don't impact them?
FTFY

But for real, I can't believe something like this passed. Let's give the ISP monopolies even more power! Seems logical.
The panda hath arrived.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Nothing new, repubs put corporations above people. The fucktards in the house will pass it too, hopefully the Cheeto in charge will veto but I have my doubts.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Also fuck Rand Paul. Co sponsors the bill then doesn't vote and lets his party continue to run wild
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 am Also fuck Rand Paul. Co sponsors the bill then doesn't vote and lets his party continue to run wild
:wtf:

cite your sources
brain go brrrrrr
nuggstein

Jaxper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:04 am
nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 pm Apparently this passed the senate today. How do we allow this? How do we allow uneducated, old senators vote for anything, especially things that don't impact them?
FTFY

But for real, I can't believe something like this passed. Let's give the ISP monopolies even more power! Seems logical.
It's absolutely absurd that these rules and laws pass. I can't comprehend it.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 am Also fuck Rand Paul. Co sponsors the bill then doesn't vote and lets his party continue to run wild

cite your sources
1 of 23 co sponsors
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... sing-data/

Abstains from voting
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ ... vote=00094
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

nuggstein wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am
Jaxper wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:04 am

FTFY

It's absolutely absurd that these rules and laws pass. I can't comprehend it.
It's not hard to comprehend. Corporations spend millions lobbying for this shit and the Republicunts eat it up. Party over country.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 am

cite your sources
1 of 23 co sponsors
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... sing-data/

Abstains from voting
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/ ... vote=00094
:disappoint:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

ISPs paid a bunch for this and got their way. Awesome.

This country... :|
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I am :disappoint: but not surprised.

How many city council meetings have you attended to voice your opinions and beliefs at the local level, :crang: ?

You are responsible for this type of behavior that trickles upward from local. Most people don't care about anything other than what trump does, and that means that these politicians have way too much leeway and freedom to do shit like this.

Blame the senators, but blame yourself too. I blame myself in that same statement too, I know I'm not as involved as I should be.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 pm Apparently this passed the senate today. How do we allow this? How do we allow uneducated, old senators vote for technological issues? They don't know how computers or the internet work. I am noticing this more and more. Technology related laws and issues are being written or compared to old laws from the early 1900s because of the constitution or whatever...but they don't actually apply. But then you get fucked.

Someone posted a comment asking about what if they sell your medical research history? If you started to research a lot about cancer symptoms...what if insurance companies can now buy this information off of the Internet Service Providers? They aren't protected by HIPPA laws. Then all of a sudden you might have "pre-existing conditions".

All you information is already sold by companies like Google/Facebook. They ruthlessly track everything you type into your browser or even your texts. Where you go what you buy etc.

It is fucking :disgust:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:54 pm
nuggstein wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:13 pm Apparently this passed the senate today. How do we allow this? How do we allow uneducated, old senators vote for technological issues? They don't know how computers or the internet work. I am noticing this more and more. Technology related laws and issues are being written or compared to old laws from the early 1900s because of the constitution or whatever...but they don't actually apply. But then you get fucked.

All you information is already sold by companies like Google/Facebook. They ruthlessly track everything you type into your browser or even your texts. Where you go what you buy etc.

:word: I'll google something on my laptop and home, check instagram on my phone 2 minutes later, and SURPRISE!!!! there's an ad for whatever I just googled in my instagram feed.
nuggstein

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:24 pm

:word: I'll google something on my laptop and home, check instagram on my phone 2 minutes later, and SURPRISE!!!! there's an ad for whatever I just googled in my instagram feed.
My roommate and I were talking about pillows, and he mentioned the "My Pillow" pillow. A few minutes later...an advertisement for the "My Pillow" pillow was playing on the television.

Coincidence? I don't think so. Our phones are constantly listening, watching, and seeing. As are most devices hooked up to the internet. I've seen new a prompt on my Vizio TV that I had to disable, that they were going to start tracking whatever was being displayed on the TV.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

razr390 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:29 pm I am :disappoint: but not surprised.

How many city council meetings have you attended to voice your opinions and beliefs at the local level, :crang: ?

You are responsible for this type of behavior that trickles upward from local. Most people don't care about anything other than what trump does, and that means that these politicians have way too much leeway and freedom to do shit like this.

Blame the senators, but blame yourself too. I blame myself in that same statement too, I know I'm not as involved as I should be.

lol opinions < $millions in contributions
SAWCE

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:42 pm
razr390 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:29 pm I am :disappoint: but not surprised.

:dat:

We can voice our opinion all we want, but the $ is always going to speak louder.
nuggstein

SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:43 pm

We can voice our opinion all we want, but the $ is always going to speak louder.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:rolleyes:

Elections speak louder than money. Money only speaks when they're already in power.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Elections speak louder than money. Money only speaks when they're already in power.
It doesn't matter who gets elected. They'll bow to the bribes of the lobbyists :doom:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:20 am
:disappoint:
:rage:

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:
SAWCE wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:43 pm :dat:

It takes money to win elections...
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Passed the house yesterday. On to cheeto benito.

Oh yeah the rep that introduced the bill in the house has received over 600k from communications lobbyists
nuggstein

yeah, but what if insurance companies can now buy this informaton. all of a sudden you have pre-existing conditions for researching a lot of about cancer or something.
nuggstein

whelp, it's been signed!