Failing to report a crime=crime

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

This is some minority report BS here... So this douchefag is gettin 3 years in the slammer for not reporting his sick friends plot to shoot up a church.

:wtf:

Not saying what he did was right but how the Fk can you sentence a person that didn't commit the crime for a crime someone else committed?!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dylann-roofs ... 16420.html
The only person with whom Dylann Roof shared his racist plot to massacre worshippers at a historically black South Carolina church was sentenced Tuesday to 27 months in prison for failing to report a crime and for lying to the FBI.
What are your thoughts?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm This is some minority report BS here... So this douchefag is gettin 3 years in the slammer for not reporting his sick friends plot to shoot up a church.

Not saying what he did was right but how the Fk can you sentence a person that didn't commit the crime for a crime someone else committed?!

The only person with whom Dylann Roof shared his racist plot to massacre worshippers at a historically black South Carolina church was sentenced Tuesday to 27 months in prison for failing to report a crime and for lying to the FBI.
What are your thoughts?
This is what good samaritan laws get you.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm This is some minority report BS here... So this douchefag is gettin 3 years in the slammer for not reporting his sick friends plot to shoot up a church.

What are your thoughts?
DA or Judge is looking to get re-elected.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Judge was appoint by Obama, dang, just trying to make a point.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

I just think it is kind of crazy that we live in a place where Casey Anthony walks after murdering her own kid and this guy is getting 3 years in the slammer. Granted he is probably a goodfonothin but that still doesn't seem right to me. He committed no actual crime
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I don't feel like reading the article, but what about the "lying to the FBI" part? Obstruction of Justice should be considered bad. 27 mos in prison bad? No...but you shouldn't be able to lie.

"Did he tell you about his plan?"
"yes"
"why didn't you say anything?"
"Because I didn't think he was serious."

If that's against the law, then that's some serious :bs:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

These cases are a very fine line and could go either way. It depends on the context. You shouldn't feel obligated to call for shit that some people might say, BUT, if he was questioned under oath and lied, then I could understand why he got in trouble.

But then again, I would assume that someone would recognize if someone is right in the head or not, so if they are saying shit as a joke versus being obsessed with it and mentioning it if it was indeed premeditated. :iono:

Like if i had a friend and out of nowhere dude started talking about shooting up a church and kept mentioning it everytime we talked, I would be kind of :notsure: :wtf: and maybe just report it for my own sake. But yeah it's very subjective...
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:37 pm These cases are a very fine line and could go either way. It depends on the context. You shouldn't feel obligated to call for shit that some people might say, BUT, if he was questioned under oath and lied, then I could understand why he got in trouble.

But then again, I would assume that someone would recognize if someone is right in the head or not, so if they are saying shit as a joke versus being obsessed with it and mentioning it if it was indeed premeditated. :iono:

Like if i had a friend and out of nowhere dude started talking about shooting up a church and kept mentioning it everytime we talked, I would be kind of :notsure: :wtf: and maybe just report it for my own sake. But yeah it's very subjective...
If I had a friend like that, I'd :nope: out and never talk to him again. I want nothing to do with lunatic hate.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:52 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:37 pm These cases are a very fine line and could go either way. It depends on the context. You shouldn't feel obligated to call for shit that some people might say, BUT, if he was questioned under oath and lied, then I could understand why he got in trouble.

If I had a friend like that, I'd :nope: out and never talk to him again. I want nothing to do with lunatic hate.
That's was my point, though. You'd have to realize the guy is a psycho or some shit and :nope: out if you were rational
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 pm
That's was my point, though. You'd have to realize the guy is a psycho or some shit and :nope: out if you were rational
I guess.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:06 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:57 pm
I guess.
We had a situation a few years ago on campus when I was doing a ride along. Possible suicide, kid called cops cuz his friend said "omg finals are so stressful I want to kill my self"

Dude was not a threat to himself at all whatsoever and had no intentions of doing it but I could see why someone would've called just because he was really sketchy about the whole thing until we called his family to make sure he wasn't showing any symptoms or making it a repeated behavior outside of the one context.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that he never should have lied to the FBI or encouraged his other friend to not talk to the FBI. He didn't have to talk to them if he didn't want to, he had the right to remain silent. Giving them false info (while on probation) and encouraging his friend to not report Roof was stupid and now he's fucked, maybe literally. You don't have to help the police with their investigation, but giving them false info and actively subverting their investigation should be illegal.
Meek was not charged for failing to tell police about the impending attack, since that is not a crime under federal law. Instead, he was prosecuted for stopping a friend immediately after the slaughter from calling the police to report Roof as a suspect.

The judge said Meek's actions delayed Roof's capture for hours, during which Roof easily could have massacred more people somewhere else.

If Meek "had just gone in his bedroom and cried and regretted not reporting, he would have committed no federal crime," Gergel said.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
max225

Ironically he was probably scared that he will be arrested for knowing anything about it as any person would be... Not trying to defend him but I still think these allegations are just :mindblown:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SixSpeeder wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 pm

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that he never should have lied to the FBI or encouraged his other friend to not talk to the FBI. He didn't have to talk to them if he didn't want to, he had the right to remain silent. Giving them false info (while on probation) and encouraging his friend to not report Roof was stupid and now he's fucked, maybe literally. You don't have to help the police with their investigation, but giving them false info and actively subverting their investigation should be illegal.
Meek was not charged for failing to tell police about the impending attack, since that is not a crime under federal law. Instead, he was prosecuted for stopping a friend immediately after the slaughter from calling the police to report Roof as a suspect.

The judge said Meek's actions delayed Roof's capture for hours, during which Roof easily could have massacred more people somewhere else.

If Meek "had just gone in his bedroom and cried and regretted not reporting, he would have committed no federal crime," Gergel said.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
/thread
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Yea but should you go to Jail for not talking to the cops if he actually went and did it.

I would argue that 1000s talk mad shit and maybe 1 of em actually goes and does it.
razr390

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 pm
Yea but should you go to Jail for not talking to the cops if he actually went and did it.

I would argue that 1000s talk mad shit and maybe 1 of em actually goes and does it.
no one fucking said that bro. stop blowing shit out of proportion. Speed already told you what was wrong with that context. This is a major thing in the news for this isolated incident. Is it an epidemic? No. So stop making it already. Dude falsified info and delayed/obstructed justice.

You don't have to say anything and you can live happy and free for however long you want. But if you start lying to the feds or postponing shit then you will definitely implicate yourself.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 pm

no one fucking said that bro. stop blowing shit out of proportion. Speed already told you what was wrong with that context. This is a major thing in the news for this isolated incident. Is it an epidemic? No. So stop making it already. Dude falsified info and delayed/obstructed justice.

You don't have to say anything and you can live happy and free for however long you want. But if you start lying to the feds or postponing shit then you will definitely implicate yourself.
Why you :triggered: ?
razr390

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 pm

because you replied to Speed, who gave a legit and context-based argument as to why it happened in that isolated incident, and then you quoted me AFTER, using the same argument as if Speed had never posted what he did. :wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

Depends. If the cops came and asked me, I wouldn't lie to them. But I also wouldn't push them away. I have nothing to hide, and I've never understood being difficult with law enforcement. Any person that commits a crime is no longer a friend of mine, so I'll help the investigators however I can ZFG. And I don't think I would go to jail for that.

The dude actually told people NOT TO call the cops on the guy. That's obstruction of justice. If he just didn't do anything, he'd probably be fine...and I agree.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm
because you replied to Speed, who gave a legit and context-based argument as to why it happened in that isolated incident, and then you quoted me AFTER, using the same argument as if Speed had never posted what he did. :wtf:
How am I blowing anything out of proportion ? I just asked the same Q twice. You're the one :triggered: over there.

I am mostly curious here.
razr390

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:06 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm
How am I blowing anything out of proportion ? I just asked the same Q twice. You're the one :triggered: over there.

I am mostly curious here.
Simple answer: if you don't implicate yourself, then you won't have a problem.

If you decide to TALK out of guilt, and say lies and withhold information, then you will have a problem.
max225

HARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- During a night of vodka, cocaine, marijuana and video games, Joey Meek listened as a childhood buddy confided that he hated blacks so much he was going to kill them at a Charleston church.

Meek said he thought his friend was all talk until a week later, when news broke of a deadly shooting rampage at Emanuel AME church. But instead of calling authorities, Meek talked another friend out of going to police and giving them Dylann Roof's name. And then he lied to the FBI about his conversation with Roof.

For those crimes, Meek, 22, was sentenced Tuesday to more than two years in prison.
Meek told the FBI that he didn't report the conversation or call police even after hearing about the shootings in Charleston because he was on probation for burglary and was worried he would get in more trouble.
He also said he was so scared after hearing about the massacre that he wondered if he needed to get a gun to protect himself from Roof.
I still think it is BS that he going to the slammer. It is obvious the dude is a fuck up, i mean they are doing drugs and playing video games, high as FUCK the other dude tells him he is going to murder :mahtroy: 's . What is he to do ? go to the cops immediately even though there are 10 other things he can be arrested for, for that very night?

Obviously that can be twisted into "lying to the cops" since WTF is the dude going to do ? Tell the truth about being a fuck up? I dunno I think this is a shitty ass gray area and this dude going to prison is just all kind of fk'ed up.

But either way :aintcare: we're all going down with this titanic sooner than later.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm
HARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- During a night of vodka, cocaine, marijuana and video games, Joey Meek listened as a childhood buddy confided that he hated blacks so much he was going to kill them at a Charleston church.

Meek said he thought his friend was all talk until a week later, when news broke of a deadly shooting rampage at Emanuel AME church. But instead of calling authorities, Meek talked another friend out of going to police and giving them Dylann Roof's name. And then he lied to the FBI about his conversation with Roof.

For those crimes, Meek, 22, was sentenced Tuesday to more than two years in prison.
Meek told the FBI that he didn't report the conversation or call police even after hearing about the shootings in Charleston because he was on probation for burglary and was worried he would get in more trouble.
He also said he was so scared after hearing about the massacre that he wondered if he needed to get a gun to protect himself from Roof.
I still think it is BS that he going to the slammer. It is obvious the dude is a fuck up, i mean they are doing drugs and playing video games, high as FUCK the other dude tells him he is going to murder :mahtroy: 's . What is he to do ? go to the cops immediately even though there are 10 other things he can be arrested for, for that very night?

Obviously that can be twisted into "lying to the cops" since WTF is the dude going to do ? Tell the truth about being a fuck up? I dunno I think this is a shitty ass gray area and this dude going to prison is just all kind of fk'ed up.

But either way :aintcare: we're all going down with this titanic sooner than later.
So, it's very likely that the entire story went into the sentence. Probation, drugs, who knows what the rest of his record is. I wouldn't be surprised that if this was a normal dude, the sentence would have been less.

I can't believe that someone spends two years behind bars JUST for not telling the authorities about a conversation he assumed was :bs: I think there's more to it somewhere.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm

So, it's very likely that the entire story went into the sentence. Probation, drugs, who knows what the rest of his record is. I wouldn't be surprised that if this was a normal dude, the sentence would have been less.

I can't believe that someone spends two years behind bars JUST for not telling the authorities about a conversation he assumed was :bs: I think there's more to it somewhere.
Supposedly he didn't report that it was his friend that shot up the church immediately after it happened and told another guy not to call the cops, which is why he is going to the slammer. But how would he know it was him? Was he at the shooting site?

I am just so confused with this whole thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Supposedly he didn't report that it was his friend that shot up the church immediately after it happened and told another guy not to call the cops, which is why he is going to the slammer. But how would he know it was him? Was he at the shooting site?

I am just so confused with this whole thing.
That's why I think there's WAY more to it than we're being told