POWL: The near future of the USA (and perhaps the rest of the world, too)

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.

Where do you feel we're headed in the near future? (3-5 years)

Total Annihilation: :nuke:
No votes
Somewhere below average: :disgust:
54%
Business as usual: :aintcare:
25%
Somewhere better: :notbad:
8%
Total Peace and Prosperity: :fuckyeah:
4%
Everyone gets a :boxodicks:
8%

Total votes: 24
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:47 pm Word. I'm trying to see if they actually apply quotas for LGBT people.
If so :triggered:
not at the moment, but they might in the future. If they successfully get labeled as 'minortories'
:dat:

thats my gripe with it all. Drop the quota bullshit. Let merit, skill and knowledge take over. Its not what you eserve :mahtroy:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:11 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05 pm

not at the moment, but they might in the future. If they successfully get labeled as 'minortories'

thats my gripe with it all. Drop the quota bullshit. Let merit, skill and knowledge take over. Its not what you eserve :mahtroy:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am Near term somewhere below average. Long term somewhere above average. America isn't about her leaders, she is about her people.
"Her" ppl are about to fking kill eachother thanks to the the news playing political sides and making everyone :rage: into oblivion.

Politics in the work place are fking awful too. I literally have to keep my mouth shut.

0 freedom of speech, because I need a god dem jerb.
max225

Melon wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 am There is no affirmative action quotas for LGBT people :doe:
If there is, I couldn't find it, and yeah, it's lame.

Let people be hired based on the merit of their experience and accomplishments.
We have unofficial quotas for "women in tech" if you have minority women in tech... it is like the holy motherfucking grail....
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

maxtdi wrote:
Melon wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:59 am There is no affirmative action quotas for LGBT people :doe:
If there is, I couldn't find it, and yeah, it's lame.

Let people be hired based on the merit of their experience and accomplishments.
We have unofficial quotas for "women in tech" if you have minority women in tech... it is like the holy motherfucking grail....
In a lot of fields it's better to be white as a woman... they already have enough AZN women. Best bet is to be black :doe:

:mahtroy: are minorities in tech regardless of gender.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:27 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am Near term somewhere below average. Long term somewhere above average. America isn't about her leaders, she is about her people.
"Her" ppl are about to fking kill eachother thanks to the the news playing political sides and making everyone :rage: into oblivion.

Politics in the work place are fking awful too. I literally have to keep my mouth shut.

It's just good policy to keep your mouth shut about these things. People are so ramped up right or left. Frankly I have no use for the extremes on both sides. Take all the evangelical wingnuts along with the "OMFG I can't believe this is happening I'm moving to Canada" people and line an open grave with all of them. I have no use for people who cannot tolerate another viewpoint.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 pm
maxtdi wrote:
In a lot of fields it's better to be white as a woman... they already have enough AZN women. Best bet is to be black :doe:

:mahtroy: are minorities in tech regardless of gender.
I have no :mahtroy: 's in the workplace however I am literally the only white guy in our group of 30.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:33 pm
maxtdi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:27 pm

It's just good policy to keep your mouth shut about these things. People are so ramped up right or left. Frankly I have no use for the extremes on both sides. Take all the evangelical wingnuts along with the "OMFG I can't believe this is happening I'm moving to Canada" people and line an open grave with all of them. I have no use for people who cannot tolerate another viewpoint.
It is perfectly socially acceptable to rip a new one for anyone with a right/centric POV. Unless you lean left you better STFU.

I have ppl ranting at work left and right... and our CEO sent a note disagreeing with the recent actions OUR PRESIDENT took.

Never seen anything like that about the prior administration.

Things are f'ked beyond belief.

They say Obama was bound to fail... however... Trump... Jesus that dude has the most hate pointed at him out of any president in history IMO.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:33 pm

It is perfectly socially acceptable to rip a new one for anyone with a right/centric POV. Unless you lean left you better STFU.

I have ppl ranting at work left and right... and our CEO sent a note disagreeing with the recent actions OUR PRESIDENT took.

They say Obama was bound to fail... however... Trump... Jesus that dude has the most hate pointed at him out of any president in history IMO.
The Pay Area and Manhattan are the epicenters of limousine liberalism. You should definitely NOT feel free to express conservative views there. On the other hand, meaningful freedom of speech for left leaners is more restricted in Wheeling WV. You can always move, LOL.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:40 pm
maxtdi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:35 pm

The Pay Area and Manhattan are the epicenters of limousine liberalism. You should definitely NOT feel free to express conservative views there. On the other hand, meaningful freedom of speech for left leaners is more restricted in Wheeling WV. You can always move, LOL.
Same with Texass (minus Austin), I was shocked a few years back when I didn't see a single prius in the streets. :gaydance:

The problem is this whole thing is a self feeding machine... California may get pretty serious in seceding. Ppl here keep yapping about how we're a bigger economy than so and so. And how the rest of the country doesn't align with our values.

Failing to realize all the shit that drags us down as a state, because everything is IPO money and rainbows.

The amount of left wing "Fake News" in this state is simply shocking.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:43 pm
maxtdi wrote:

We've been way more divided and survived just fine. This is unique for current time but not for our history.
You talking about the time we had a Civil war? I can't think of a time when we were more divided than that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Same with Texass (minus Austin), I was shocked a few years back when I didn't see a single prius in the streets. :gaydance:

The problem is this whole thing is a self feeding machine... California may get pretty serious in seceding. Ppl here keep yapping about how we're a bigger economy than so and so. And how the rest of the country doesn't align with our values.

Failing to realize all the shit that drags us down as a state, because everything is IPO money and rainbows.

The amount of left wing "Fake News" in this state is simply shocking.
We've got a fair amount of wealthy old people around these parts that voted for the Donald. The Op-Ed page has expanded to an entire page these days so 10 people can say the exact same thing, 5 Trump people and 5 Non-Trump.

EVERY
SINGLE
DAY

My beef with Trump is that he is wiping it off on the faces of the Left, and that never works....it just doesn't. And the right is embracing it, and that's stupid.....an election is only 2 years away. If Trump wants to govern for 2,4,6,8 years, he needs to do what he's doing without being a prick about it, but he can't help it, because, inherently, he is a prick and he just loves being him.

The left needs to stop whining doe....the winds of change happen about every 8 years in this country.
max225

Vietnam?
By the Numbers
According to a Gallup Poll, the percentage of Americans who thought the U.S. made a mistake sending troops to fight in Vietnam...

... in August 1965: 24%
... in March 1966: 26%
... in May 1966: 36%
... in November 1966: 31%
... in January 1967: 32%
... in April 1967: 37%
... in July 1967: 41%
... in October 1967: 47%
... in December 1967: 44%
... in February 1968: 46%
... in April 1968: 48%
... in August 1968: 53%
... in September 1968: 54%
... in January 1969: 52%
... in September 1969: 55%
... in January 1970: 52%
... in April 1970: 51%
... in May 1970: 56%
... in January 1971: 59%
... in May 1971: 50%
... in January 1973: 60%
... in January 1993: 68%
... in April 1995: 71%
... in November 2000: 68%

Looks like rose colored glasses my friend... 46% voted for trump.... 24% opposed the war when it started.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote: You talking about the time we had a Civil war? I can't think of a time when we were more divided than that.
Excluding the civil war: Vietnam war, McCarthy hearings, pre-pearl harbor ww2, ww1, reconstruction, early 1900s Irish wave, tea pot dome scandal, pre-civil war westward expansion, 1800-1810ish...

The past 40 years have been the exception.
Yeah... we put people in fucking camps at the same time that Hitler was doing it. Murica ain't all sunshine and :unicorn: farts.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:04 pm
maxtdi wrote:Vietnam?
By the Numbers
According to a Gallup Poll, the percentage of Americans who thought the U.S. made a mistake sending troops to fight in Vietnam...

Looks like rose colored glasses my friend... 46% voted for trump.... 24% opposed the war when it started.
:wat:

We were definitely more divided in the later half of the war than we are now.

@wap probably could tell us some stories. Violent protests against the war, race riots soon there after (and before), the country was tearing itself apart.

Nothing like today. This weekend's protests make the mid 20th century protests look like Sunday picnics.
LOL. Ron was busy digging his decoder ring out a box of fruity pebbles in the 60's, not smoking weed and protesting the acts of the man.
max225

maxtdi wrote:Vietnam?
By the Numbers

@wap probably could tell us some stories. Violent protests against the war, race riots soon there after (and before), the country was tearing itself apart.

Nothing like today. This weekend's protests make the mid 20th century protests look like Sunday picnics.
Right which is why the war ended... but as you can see by the polls we clearly were UNITED. Initially for then against it. Because we're :derp: 's

Obviously first thought we're going to go balls deep into asia and show them the ways of the white man only to leave with the tail between our legs and 70k dead. There was public outrage against the mass causalities on both ends.
max225

I dunno mang, maybe what it takes is to live in an area that leans way right or way left and see things from both perspectives.

Yet all I can say is a whole load of :wtf: for both sides. Which is the scary part... If one side was truly good and the other truly evil it would be one thing. But each side thinks the other is the devil and it is pretty damn near 50/50.

I am somewhere in the middle... watching the whole thing go down :wtf:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

LOL. Ron was busy digging his decoder ring out a box of fruity pebbles in the 60's, not smoking weed and protesting the acts of the man.
LOL kinda, but I do remember the 1968 convention riots in Chicago as a kid. I think overall :[user not found]: is right that the 60's saw the nation more divided than now between the rise of youth culture raging against the Viet Nam war and the race riots because of the horrible segregation laws, etc. More violence, more assassinations, etc.
I was actually :amazing: and, frankly, proud of how well the recent protests came off. VERY few arrests. It was a beautiful example of people expressing their right to peacefully protest.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

I'm in california. "Surrounded by libtards" I'm directly in the middle. Left on political and social views, right on economic and personal responsibility views.
Everyone I know voted for trump except a couple of girls that I know.
I know several people who were going to vote for bernie but when that bitch was chosen we voted trump. How's that for a bombshell?

The military DOESN'T NEED TO BE THAT FUCKING BIG. Get that shit down to pre 9-11 billions kthx. Everyone knows we have a :dedong: We have satellites that can read the date on a penny on the ground. Give the excess 250 billion to cancer research. Cancer doesn't care who you are. Cancer is a ruthless killer.
The gun owner in me is tired of all the cry babies though. Just stfu while the bible thumpers shit on your chest. Let it happen. After his first term we can vote him out and give money and housing to all the refugees.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR