Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:46 pm

:dat:

If you plan to work forever like most people, you might as well max the HSA and treat it like another retirement account that's not to be touched short of an emergency. I didn't know about that until recently so ours has not been funded much.
When I started at FCA a few years ago, a benefits onboarding person clued me into the benefits of the HSA. After doing more research into it, I've been maxing out the HSA for a few years now. Company contribution/match makes that pretty easy and since it's pre-tax and you can spend money tax-free, it's a win/win. Not taking advantage of an HSA when you have one available is a big missed opportunity IMO.
We used the HSA before, but we were using it as intended vs optimizing it - putting in only the amount of money that we expected to spend on medical stuff, and then using the debit card from it each year for that purpose. I had no idea it could be invested, I thought it was a savings account for healthcare expenses because that's what it's fucking called. :thanksobama:

Apparently the way to go is to max it out and never touch it, paying for healthcare stuff after-tax until you retire.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:52 pm
When I started at FCA a few years ago, a benefits onboarding person clued me into the benefits of the HSA. After doing more research into it, I've been maxing out the HSA for a few years now. Company contribution/match makes that pretty easy and since it's pre-tax and you can spend money tax-free, it's a win/win. Not taking advantage of an HSA when you have one available is a big missed opportunity IMO.
We used the HSA before, but we were using it as intended vs optimizing it - putting in only the amount of money that we expected to spend on medical stuff, and then using the debit card from it each year for that purpose. I had no idea it could be invested, I thought it was a savings account for healthcare expenses because that's what it's fucking called. :thanksobama:

Apparently the way to go is to max it out and never touch it, paying for healthcare stuff after-tax until you retire.
Yea, it's super confusing. Then add in the WORTHLESS FSA stupidity, and it's hard to keep things straight.

We actually use it to pay for healthcare stuff because for us right now it's minimal. If we had a major event, I'd probably just go out of pocket because deductibles, while high, are likely lower now than they will be in 30 years.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:tits: got the director gig. :notbad:

Super proud of her. She's been with this company since 2008 and has been taking on more and more responsibility for the last several years. They had a director step aside and despite a very deep candidate pool she got the promotion. 35 and already a director. Pretty badass.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:56 pm :word: thanks y'all. I'm familiar with this concept but I've never really looked into it. Kind of cool to have an additional tax sheltered retirement fund, and we are not that great at saving money once it's already hit the checking account TBH. I am putting in the max allowed 401K contribution and :tits: is close to it, but that probably still isn't enough :disappoint:

I haven't even logged into my HSA in years... no clue how much is in there. We did wipe out a good bit on :tits: arm breaks last year.
General advice here not at all intended for Dan, but broadly if you've been hitting 12-15% including the match from your company and have been for your entire working life, you'll be fine at retirement. I'm at 18% now but that's because I was a putz and was only doing 8% with the match for my first several years out of college. I was also making bupkis and was only putting in enough to get the 4% match. Maxing it out is great if you can, but the limit this year is $19,500 (not including the employer contribution) and most people don't have the means to do that.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:31 pm :tits: got the director gig. :notbad:

Super proud of her. She's been with this company since 2008 and has been taking on more and more responsibility for the last several years. They had a director step aside and despite a very deep candidate pool she got the promotion. 35 and already a director. Pretty badass.
:impressive:
Grats, :bruh: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

Wow, a promotion from within? :mindblown: :impressive:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:56 pm :word: thanks y'all. I'm familiar with this concept but I've never really looked into it. Kind of cool to have an additional tax sheltered retirement fund, and we are not that great at saving money once it's already hit the checking account TBH. I am putting in the max allowed 401K contribution and :tits: is close to it, but that probably still isn't enough :disappoint:

I haven't even logged into my HSA in years... no clue how much is in there. We did wipe out a good bit on :tits: arm breaks last year.
General advice here not at all intended for Dan, but broadly if you've been hitting 12-15% including the match from your company and have been for your entire working life, you'll be fine at retirement. I'm at 18% now but that's because I was a putz and was only doing 8% with the match for my first several years out of college. I was also making bupkis and was only putting in enough to get the 4% match. Maxing it out is great if you can, but the limit this year is $19,500 (not including the employer contribution) and most people don't have the means to do that.
My thinking is that right now it's pretty easy to :troywax: on the 401K while we have no kids and pretty solid income. I'm at 19.5K + the employer's additional 5%, the wife's is a bit less but still probably $12-13K/year plus match.

Through most of my 20s I just did 5% to achieve my match, sadly. I also made way less and it would've been really tough to go further than that, particularly while paying off student loans :ohwell:

In the future if we have :baby: we would possibly have to reduce to pay for daycare, but it's all good if that's the case.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:fuckyeah: Congrats to her!
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:45 am I can't say that I've tried many hot :sawce: bottles, I normally just order stuff that's spicy already from peppers or whatever is in the dish. I did have a bottle of Cholula in NY though and it tasted good. In my cooking I use crushed red pepper most of the time to add spice.
Crushed red pepper goes in 90% of my cooking.
ChrisoftheNorth

:fuckyeah: congrats to her man! Always encouraging to hear about internal promotions of long-term employees. That's badass.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:03 pm
:fuckyeah: congrats to her man! Always encouraging to hear about internal promotions of long-term employees. That's badass.
This was her first employer out of college. So analyst -> senior analyst -> manager -> senior manager -> director. Pretty fantastic accomplishment for 35.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:40 pm

This is good advice. While maxing out is the general goal, it is a lot of money for most. 12-15% is generally accepted as a great target, and even most people don't manage that even. Fidelity has some great income projection calcs on their site, and it's indicating that I'm probably at overkill maxing out the 401k contributions with how much I'll need to spend when I retire. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, but in my case with no kids and no debt (house will be paid off by then), I don't need a ton to live on. Food, travel, and medical expenses (which hopefully the HSA can cover for a while), and that's it. I don't need to be rich AF buying fancy shit, I just want to be comfortable chilling.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:09 pm
This was her first employer out of college. So analyst -> senior analyst -> manager -> senior manager -> director. Pretty fantastic accomplishment for 35.
Absolutely it is! Also incredible that she was able to grow like that at the same company where they clearly value her and her work. It's pretty fucking rare. The only way I've gotten promotions so far is by leaving for another job that's a promotion. Maybe I'm too impatient.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:09 pm
Very :impressive: ! Good on her.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:04 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:16 am
Grab a bottle of Valentina's when you get a chance. I make breakfast sometimes just to put that shit on it.
Yep, I love it on an egg/veggie scramble! It is also a huge bottle for like $3 which is :nice:
Wow you're a 'tina's guy too? :wub: :dock:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Absolutely it is! Also incredible that she was able to grow like that at the same company where they clearly value her and her work. It's pretty fucking rare. The only way I've gotten promotions so far is by leaving for another job that's a promotion. Maybe I'm too impatient.
Nah, it's rare these days.

Man I'm so over corporate/company politics and "playing the game."
Today is my third week with my new company and I gotta say, working for a tech startup type org is pretty :notbad: The CEO is younger than I am, I don't think I've seen anyone over the age of 50 here, which results in a very flat org structure and a "get the job done" mentality. People are viewed as job experts, not levels or cogs in the machine. And if you're successful in your job, you get promoted as the company grows to tackle new things. My direct boss was promoted to head up the new project that I was hired to work on, he started as a grunt and just proved his worth.

It's refreshing to not really have politics or hierarchical bullshit. If a job needs to get done, go do it. The only downside is people work constantly.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: The only downside is people work constantly.
:disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:44 am
Detroit wrote: The only downside is people work constantly.
What's weird is it's often self-inflicted. Like last night I signed off after a call with my boss at 6. He was going to keep working on figuring out a data file. I told him what was wrong with it and that we'd be able to fix it with another data source today (needed a login from IT), and he said "well, I'm just going to work on it tonight anyway". K brah, have fun with that, I'm going to dinner. He didn't care that I left, he just wanted to keep working.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:04 pm

Yep, I love it on an egg/veggie scramble! It is also a huge bottle for like $3 which is :nice:
Wow you're a 'tina's guy too? :wub: :dock:
:fuckyeah: :mahman:

Great minds think alike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:44 am

What's weird is it's often self-inflicted. Like last night I signed off after a call with my boss at 6. He was going to keep working on figuring out a data file. I told him what was wrong with it and that we'd be able to fix it with another data source today (needed a login from IT), and he said "well, I'm just going to work on it tonight anyway". K brah, have fun with that, I'm going to dinner. He didn't care that I left, he just wanted to keep working.
I think that's the thing with a flat org and whatnot, people take way more ownershit and therefor care way more. That passion makes you put work above many other things. It's the same reason I blow off my job to go ride my bike, I have zero :koolaid: for this place, so fuck it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 am
I think that's the thing with a flat org and whatnot, people take way more ownershit and therefor care way more. That passion makes you put work above many other things. It's the same reason I blow off my job to go ride my bike, I have zero :koolaid: for this place, so fuck it.
I think it needs to be a balance, just like anything in life. I'm actually pretty into the product my company puts out, but I'm not so in love with it that I want to spend every single waking minute working on it.

I used to work on things I loved, but the organization ruined it, so now my goal is just to work on something that I find interesting enough to want to work on a bit, but not so into it that I'm :| when shit goes south or I feel compelled to work on it 24/7.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:53 pm

I think it needs to be a balance, just like anything in life. I'm actually pretty into the product my company puts out, but I'm not so in love with it that I want to spend every single waking minute working on it.

I used to work on things I loved, but the organization ruined it, so now my goal is just to work on something that I find interesting enough to want to work on a bit, but not so into it that I'm :| when shit goes south or I feel compelled to work on it 24/7.
Cars are fun until you see how the sausage is made. I still miss it though
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:10 pm

Cars are fun until you see how the sausage is made. I still miss it though
No, you don't.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:26 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:45 am I can't say that I've tried many hot :sawce: bottles, I normally just order stuff that's spicy already from peppers or whatever is in the dish. I did have a bottle of Cholula in NY though and it tasted good. In my cooking I use crushed red pepper most of the time to add spice.
Crushed red pepper goes in 90% of my cooking.
Yup. I wish I could make the hot oil they serve at hot pot restaurants. I've tried but it never tastes as good
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

What's the goal for you guys and your careers salary wise? At your peak, what do you hope to be making % to what you make now?