OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:02 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:51 am Hawaii also depends on which island and where… also there are pockets of Hawaii that are literal shit holes and others that are paradise. Highly location dependent. Given that there is CF I’d scope out schooling/pre schooling because there are some rough af schools out there.
:iono: I've been to Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island, pretty much all over all of them. There are some shitty houses in places and lots of homeless people in Honolulu, but outside of that, it's pretty much all paradise, IMO. I would definitely retire there if rich enough. It is like the best of CA, FL, and the Caribbean all rolled into one. Kauai even has its own Grand Canyon :mindblown: . I probably would feel sort of weird about being a rich white dude there though, much like other American natives, our 'takeover' kind of sucks for them in many ways.

We brought them McDoe and Spam.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:15 pm

:iono: I've been to Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island, pretty much all over all of them. There are some shitty houses in places and lots of homeless people in Honolulu, but outside of that, it's pretty much all paradise, IMO. I would definitely retire there if rich enough. It is like the best of CA, FL, and the Caribbean all rolled into one. Kauai even has its own Grand Canyon :mindblown: . I probably would feel sort of weird about being a rich white dude there though, much like other American natives, our 'takeover' kind of sucks for them in many ways.

We brought them McDoe and Spam.
The white man giveth and the white man taketh away.

Macdoe is like $13 for a meal in Hawaii :doe: , fuck that, I am getting real food at that point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:14 pm

There are plenty of “rich” white dudes all over the coast in 5-20 million dollar homes.

Once you venture out you start to see how there are really shitty places all over that look abandoned with yard cars everywhere people without teeth, strange keep out signs, cars on cinder blocks etc.
It’s shockingly bad/poor/druggy in places. And there are many homeless all over Maui and Oahu . Plenty of homeless beach encampments also.

I would venture to say Hawaii’s rift between the “rich” and “poor” is far greater than anywhere else I witnessed in the US. And there are a shit ton of really weird people all over
:notwrong: there are certainly many houses as described.

It's funny though, if you look at Zillow or similar, even those shitty houses are worth like $900K. I guess there's nowhere to go if one were to sell and cash out. I wonder if any native Hawaiians have done just that and moved on to live like kings in Iowa or something.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Also COL is just incredibly expensive there. Highest taxes in the nation + highest energy/food costs on almost everything. I am always shocked that somehow its cheaper in the pay area vs hawaii... where there is 0 work outside of tourism and a military base.

Woman and I thought maybe we'll get a place there... but the prices were just insane.

https://www.redfin.com/HI/Kihei/145-N-K ... e/88594593

1.2M for a POS... $2000 per sq foot. +1K association fee per month. $7k a month to own a 600sq foot condo...

There pandemic has driven prices there into the stratosphere more so than in most places.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:19 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:14 pm

There are plenty of “rich” white dudes all over the coast in 5-20 million dollar homes.

Once you venture out you start to see how there are really shitty places all over that look abandoned with yard cars everywhere people without teeth, strange keep out signs, cars on cinder blocks etc.
It’s shockingly bad/poor/druggy in places. And there are many homeless all over Maui and Oahu . Plenty of homeless beach encampments also.

I would venture to say Hawaii’s rift between the “rich” and “poor” is far greater than anywhere else I witnessed in the US. And there are a shit ton of really weird people all over
:notwrong: there are certainly many houses as described.

It's funny though, if you look at Zillow or similar, even those shitty houses are worth like $900K. I guess there's nowhere to go if one were to sell and cash out. I wonder if any native Hawaiians have done just that and moved on to live like kings in Iowa or something.
:lol: Literally made a similar post at the same time. Native Hawaiians don't want to leave it is their HOME and I don't blame them. Its beautiful out there obviously and no where else to go... I mean what the EFF they going to do ... a luau in a frozen field in Iowa?
max225

Big island used to be "CHEAP" (Pre 2019 which isn't long ago) you could get a house for 150-300k that was OKish... Like literally ok... now the same place is 600-700k multipy by 2 for Oahu and 3 for maui for something... which to me is just insanity. Hawaii is nice, but florida is also nice.. and has 1/3 of the COL. And there are a few other places else where like Portugal/ south of france etc that IMO will provide better bang for the buck.
max225

https://www.green-acres.fr/en/propertie ... 70-010.htm

Here is a condo in Nice .. South of France... 309k euro... ~400k US. About 1/3 of hawaii. And for east coasters it is about the same travel time as to the islands.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:27 pm Big island used to be "CHEAP" (Pre 2019 which isn't long ago) you could get a house for 150-300k that was OKish... Like literally ok... now the same place is 600-700k multipy by 2 for Oahu and 3 for maui for something... which to me is just insanity. Hawaii is nice, but florida is also nice.. and has 1/3 of the COL. And there are a few other places else where like Portugal/ south of france etc that IMO will provide better bang for the buck.
Portugal was probably the cheapest Euro Zone country we've visited. Poland was cheaper, but they still use their own currency.
5/7 would go back. Great people, food, sights, history, etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:28 pm https://www.green-acres.fr/en/propertie ... 70-010.htm

Here is a condo in Nice .. South of France... 309k euro... ~400k US. About 1/3 of hawaii. And for east coasters it is about the same travel time as to the islands.
Unlike :mahtroy: and :wap: , I prefer America to Europe.

But I'm with you, I certainly won't be buying Hawaii property.

The food cost is indeed insane. We went to Safeway while on the Big Island with the idea of making some meals at our Airbnb to save money... :lolol: One thing that stands out in my memory is that a pack of English muffins was $9. That is $1-3 here depending on brand. Most everything followed the same trend. This was in 2017 too, before things got expensive everywhere.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:41 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:28 pm https://www.green-acres.fr/en/propertie ... 70-010.htm

The food cost is indeed insane. We went to Safeway while on the Big Island with the idea of making some meals at our Airbnb to save money... :lolol: One thing that stands out in my memory is that a pack of English muffins was $9. That is $1-3 here depending on brand. Most everything followed the same trend. This was in 2017 too, before things got expensive everywhere.
Hey man I am all about that life. Every hawaii visit starts with stocking up on Booze+food at costco for the week. It is an easy way to save money IMO. Wal-marts there are reasonable also... but major people of Walmart shit over there also. :yikes: It is very dystopian... its interesting though because a lot of people visiting don't venture out of their hotel or say Waikiki/north shore so they get a false perception IMO.

We're always roaming all over. I think I have been to every nook of every island, interesting to see how locals eat/live. one of our favorite places in Oahu for example is a plate lunch place...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/rainbow-drive-in-honolulu

Cheap AF

I am with you on USA>Europe. But it just keeps things interesting... I think I have written off Hawaii as just a place to visit at this point as its cheaper to fly RT for 2 once a month than to pay an association fee :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Hey man I am all about that life. Every hawaii visit starts with stocking up on Booze+food at costco for the week. It is an easy way to save money IMO. Wal-marts there are reasonable also... but major people of Walmart shit over there also. :yikes: It is very dystopian... its interesting though because a lot of people visiting don't venture out of their hotel or say Waikiki/north shore so they get a false perception IMO.

We're always roaming all over. I think I have been to every nook of every island, interesting to see how locals eat/live. one of our favorite places in Oahu for example is a plate lunch place...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/rainbow-drive-in-honolulu

Cheap AF

I am with you on USA>Europe. But it just keeps things interesting... I think I have written off Hawaii as just a place to visit at this point as its cheaper to fly RT for 2 once a month than to pay an association fee :lol:
Yep, we are very similar travelers, we explore, drive all over, hike everywhere, eat at '1 dollar sign' local places as much as we can, etc. Cosco sounds like a nice move for next time. We have done Walmart there and it isn't bad.

:iono: I don't really desire to own vacation property in general. It seems kind of limiting, like I don't want to go to the same place over and over, I'd rather see more of the world. Also, when there are four figure home owner's fees, it's tough to justify it as an investment. I am always shocked to hear about people paying a full rent equivalent in homeowner's fees, but it seems pretty common to live in a nice condo in a vacation destination or major city.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dang, that restaurant is walking distance to where we stayed in Honolulu, should've gone!
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:00 pm Dang, that restaurant is walking distance to where we stayed in Honolulu, should've gone!
I mean it's nothing special as far as "culinary" art but its a great way to experience local flavors.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:00 pm Dang, that restaurant is walking distance to where we stayed in Honolulu, should've gone!
I mean it's nothing special as far as "culinary" art but its a great way to experience local flavors.
I am not a 'foodie'... :gtfo: with that :bs:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:06 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:53 am

Call me dumb but I would 5/7 not live in Hawaii unless I was surfing, single, no commitments, etc. I don’t like the idea of being surrounded by thousands of miles of water in an oh shit scenario.

Plus, the locals don’t take too kindly to the white gentrification of the islands.
What kind of 'oh shit scenario' do you think would happen?

I am kind of with you though, well I'm 50/50. On the one hand, you get amazing weather, beautiful scenery, endless outdoor activities, beach life, good food, chill vibe. Hawaii is definitely the best place I've ever been.

On the other, you get really high COL, you're somewhat 'trapped' in a small place, it's really costly in time/money to visit friends and family on the mainland, you don't have access to amenities like race tracks, concerts, pro sporting events, etc.
I guess the oh shit is being trapped, but also COL increased due to supply chain shit. I’m sure it’s already expensive enough to get stuff there and back
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

If anyone wants status at Hertz/National/Sixt etc let me know. I can gift one personal for the holidays it looks like.
wap

Speaking of Hawaii, did any of y'all see this?
https://news.yahoo.com/hawaii-under-bli ... 54897.html
Hawaii under blizzard warning as 12 inches of snow and winds up to 100 mph expected
:mindblown:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm If anyone wants status at Hertz/National/Sixt etc let me know. I can gift one personal for the holidays it looks like.
What does that get you? I will likely be renting cars pretty regularly through National next year for my new gig, wouldn't mind having access to better cars at the airports.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:55 pm Speaking of Hawaii, did any of y'all see this?
Hawaii under blizzard warning as 12 inches of snow and winds up to 100 mph expected
:wtf:

Based on your commentary, I didn't really believe it and half expected a meatspin or the Onion link :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:02 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm If anyone wants status at Hertz/National/Sixt etc let me know. I can gift one personal for the holidays it looks like.
What does that get you? I will likely be renting cars pretty regularly through National next year for my new gig, wouldn't mind having access to better cars at the airports.
So I can only officially give President's Circle through Hertz, but you should be able to email National's status match team and they will match it. You'd get either Executive or Executive Elite, which gives you access to the executive isles in the airport, and you stack up free days quicker.

Will you be renting through a business account?

Also my roommates and I are going to Petty Thieves Brewing around 7pm tonight if you're bored.
wap

wap wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:55 pm Speaking of Hawaii, did any of y'all see this?

:wtf:

Based on your commentary, I didn't really believe it and half expected a meatspin or the Onion link :lolol:
:lolol: :nope:
No :meatspin: from me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:11 pm

So I can only officially give President's Circle through Hertz, but you should be able to email National's status match team and they will match it. You'd get either Executive or Executive Elite, which gives you access to the executive isles in the airport, and you stack up free days quicker.

Also my roommates and I are going to Petty Thieves Brewing around 7pm tonight if you're bored.
Man, sorry I missed this. I like Petty Thieves a lot, cool views/decorations and the beer seems good. I just had a couple friends over and played Monopoly :lolol:

Before the pandemic the cars were rented for me though National by our company’s travel agent but it was all in my name, my account for points accrual. I only got to use it a few times because of the pandemic.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:34 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Man, sorry I missed this. I like Petty Thieves a lot, cool views/decorations and the beer seems good. I just had a couple friends over and played Monopoly :lolol:

Before the pandemic the cars were rented for me though National by our company’s travel agent but it was all in my name, my account for points accrual. I only got to use it a few times because of the pandemic.
Monopoly FTW. I'll send you the Hertz President's Circle status, and then you can do this process:

https://status.emeraldclub.com/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:40 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:34 am

Monopoly FTW. I'll send you the Hertz President's Circle status, and then you can do this process:

Thanks man! Are you actually down for monopoly? One of my friends and I are pretty into it, I will text you next time we are going to play.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:45 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:40 am

Thanks man! Are you actually down for monopoly? One of my friends and I are pretty into it, I will text you next time we are going to play.
I love monopoly. I'm no good, but none of my friends will ever play it.