DFD Update

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Hey All,

It has been a quarter since the change in administration around here, I wanted to give a bit of an update/solicit some feedback.

Here's what I consider the pros:
1. The forum is still alive
2. People seem to be getting along pretty well without censorshit.
3. Thanks to [user not found], things from a software perspective are working well.

Cons:
1. Membership is definitely down... we've lost 'pecs, Johnny, :waxer: , :mahtroy: , :fax: , and others... :disappoint:
2. Due to the above, activity is low often times.
3. :mahtroy: was nominated as a moderator and is seemingly gone to stay, at least in the near term.

So a few requests/questions I have for everyone:
1. Should we nominate another mod to replace :mahtroy: ? Would anyone like to nominate themselves or someone else? I admittedly don't have a ton of time/interest for the technical/back end of things, I would feel great if we had someone excited about that stuff.
2. Can we bolster membership so the forum doesn't die? If you know people who are into cars, bicycles, :pinshit: , you name it, invite them to join! If you have the lost member's contact info, invite them back!

I still love this place as I know many of us do, let's try to keep it going! Thank you all for being mostly respectful of each other and preventing further :rage: instances.

-Griff
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Additionally, I am considering eliminating a few of the smilies such as :gay: / :gaydance: as I feel they could be offensive to some. Any feedback on that?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 pm Additionally, I am considering eliminating a few of the smilies such as :gay: / :gaydance: as I feel they could be offensive to some. Any feedback on that?
That's a slippery slope. I think anyone could find just about any of the smilies we use offensive.

I wish :gaydance: and :gay: were pushed off the main reply post page :doe: I'd like to seem them buried in the smilie corral.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Boosting membership and participation is tough because we've kind of developed our own little world where the learning curve to an outsider is steep. It's not just smilies, acronyms, and whatnot, but also how we interact with each other. Drives new comers out quickly and discourages regular participation because they don't know what's going on.

I'd love to figure out a way to build digital "products" using our immense wealth of knowledge on various topics to draw people in. I've got ideas there, it's just more dedication than I think any of us can spare.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'd probably just change the names of those emojis, like :sillydance: and :cute: or something
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:54 pm I'd probably just change the names of those emojis, like :sillydance: and :cute: or something
:notbad:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:54 pm I'd probably just change the names of those emojis, like :sillydance: and :cute: or something
5/7 idea. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

I'm not around enough to give too much feedback, but I'm surprised we lost Johnny, Wax and Fax though.... I didn't know that we had.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 pm Boosting membership and participation is tough because we've kind of developed our own little world where the learning curve to an outsider is steep. It's not just smilies, acronyms, and whatnot, but also how we interact with each other. Drives new comers out quickly and discourages regular participation because they don't know what's going on.

I'd love to figure out a way to build digital "products" using our immense wealth of knowledge on various topics to draw people in. I've got ideas there, it's just more dedication than I think any of us can spare.
THis is all very true. :disappoint: that so many have left. I feel the place actually has been a bit less toxic, hopefully some give it another try.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:00 pm I'm not around enough to give too much feedback, but I'm surprised we lost Johnny, Wax and Fax though.... I didn't know that we had.
Johnny got a real job. Z man banned Wax who then rage quit. [user not found] caused Fax to rage quit over political differences, then promptly gave the forum to Griff and quit himself.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:00 pm I'm not around enough to give too much feedback, but I'm surprised we lost Johnny, Wax and Fax though.... I didn't know that we had.
Johnny only left because life. New kid, new job, he pops in from time to time as he can. I hope he can find more time to stop by, but it's understandable that he's busy.

Wax's departure somewhat spurred on the change in forum management.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:06 pm
Johnny got a real job. Z man banned Wax who then rage quit. [user not found] caused Fax to rage quit over political differences, then promptly gave the forum to Griff and quit himself.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 pm Boosting membership and participation is tough because we've kind of developed our own little world where the learning curve to an outsider is steep. It's not just smilies, acronyms, and whatnot, but also how we interact with each other. Drives new comers out quickly and discourages regular participation because they don't know what's going on.

THis is all very true. :disappoint: that so many have left. I feel the place actually has been a bit less toxic, hopefully some give it another try.
Time heals all wounds. Would really like to get all those lost back, perhaps they will eventually.
wap

:butwhy: did :[user not found]: and :therapist: :gtfo: :doe: ?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:10 pm :butwhy: did :[user not found]: and :therapist: :gtfo: :doe: ?
:iono:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:10 pm :butwhy: did :[user not found]: and :therapist: :gtfo: :doe: ?
:therapist: checks in occasionally. He's got a real job and three crotchfruit. Ain't got no time to be shitposting.

[user not found] is not here because he is better than all of us. :lol:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm
:therapist: checks in occasionally. He's got a real job and three crotchfruit. Ain't got no time to be shitposting.

I don't think either of those guys :rage: quit or anything... life gets in the way.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 pm

I don't think either of those guys :rage: quit or anything... life gets in the way.
Eric might be right about [user not found] :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:46 pm

I talk to him, we will see him back here. Perhaps not a daily visitor, but I think it's just like two steps too good for us, not 10.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:59 pm
I talk to him, we will see him back here. Perhaps not a daily visitor, but I think it's just like two steps too good for us, not 10.
:notbad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That's a fair assessment. He's had a few comments where he says he's only here to pass the time while taking a dump or otherwise bored out of his mind. I mean, even if that's true, it's something you can just keep to yourself.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:09 pm

That's a fair assessment. He's had a few comments where he says he's only here to pass the time while taking a dump or otherwise bored out of his mind. I mean, even if that's true, it's something you can just keep to yourself.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I still check the forums often, but I seriously can't keep up with the conversations. So unless I see a post in a thread that I'm commenting in I don't really chime in much.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:54 pm I still check the forums often, but I seriously can't keep up with the conversations. So unless I see a post in a thread that I'm commenting in I don't really chime in much.
Wish you would, but I understand conversations moving too fast. How do we fix it?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Hai
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.