Fuck them!
100%

Total votes: 7
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes, people that feed one or two strays, no biggie. But people that encourage mass groups of wild cats are typically on another level. Usually they're hoarders. It's why when you watch the tv show Hoarders, you'll find that they have shit tons of animals running around. They say that the animals are cared for, but it's rare that it's true. Keeping a large number of animals up to speed with health can be costly, and most people of that mentality won't spend the cash since they'd rather hoard. Same for flea treatments.... They aren't going to spend that kind of money on that.

We have a bunch of cats, and we keep up with most of their stuff, vaccines we usually do every two years since they're all indoor cats, but we keep a couple on senior plans yearly. Feeders of strays tend to think they're helping, but all they're doing is keeping them centralized to one area and bringing all of their problems along with them. Hence Sawce's issue.

Here's a couple of key points I found that basically reiterate what I posted.

Basically, my advice is still to call animal control and see what they can do about the problem. Treat your yard for the time being, talk to your vet about an aggressive flea prevention option, possibly look at giving your dog baths more often to help rid the fleas during the time frame where animal control is doing their thing. That is if they can do anything. It sucks to have a backyard and not be able to really use it. So I feel ya on the frustration
Yeah this all makes sense. From what I’ve seen of their yard and into their house through windows there is definitely some hoarding going on.

When I spoke to the humane society just now, they said they aren’t doing TNR right now due to Covid. I’d have to trap each one myself, wait until they have an appointment and then bring it in. If it’s a candidate for adoption, they’ll neuter/spay it and then adopt it out. If not, they aren’t doing neuters or spays for the public currently and that applies to stray/feral cats and dogs brought in, so it would just be given back to me with the expectation that I release it back where I found it... If I didn’t have to make the appointments and could just bring them in as I trap them, I’d be willing to go this route, but with the current protocol, nah. I’m not keeping a trapped cat for a few days just to show up and have them tell me to take it right back home. Sucks.

We’ll see if code enforcement does anything.
Sawce's Fall Project.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Yeah this all makes sense. From what I’ve seen of their yard and into their house through windows there is definitely some hoarding going on.

When I spoke to the humane society just now, they said they aren’t doing TNR right now due to Covid. I’d have to trap each one myself, wait until they have an appointment and then bring it in. If it’s a candidate for adoption, they’ll neuter/spay it and then adopt it out. If not, they aren’t doing neuters or spays for the public currently and that applies to stray/feral cats and dogs brought in, so it would just be given back to me with the expectation that I release it back where I found it... If I didn’t have to make the appointments and could just bring them in as I trap them, I’d be willing to go this route, but with the current protocol, nah. I’m not keeping a trapped cat for a few days just to show up and have them tell me to take it right back home. Sucks.

Sounds like there ain't too many options. Normally for the TNR programs, or at least when my wife worked at one... Was people would rent the traps for free ($100 deposit, get it back when you bring it in with a cat), trap a cat overnight, and bring it in the next morning. There was always a line of people at the door. They'd do something like 50-80 spay/neuters each day. I think there might have been a $10 charge if it was your own cat, but the city paid for it if it was a stray. Most people would just lie anyways and get it for free. But you had to take the cat back. You could in theory drop the cat off on the other side of town, but like I mentioned, that void is going to be filled with a new cat shortly.

I wish you could talk to these people and kind of bring them up to speed with how feeding them is bringing in new problems, but people is gonna people. Uneducated people is gonna people even more and hear the words coming out of your mouth but then forget them once you leave their driveway. Seeing what code enforcement does is a good next step. And even ask them what kind of options you have. This really is a lose/lose situation that's gonna result in a tough choice at one point.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Sawce's Fall Project.
Ain’t trying to turn the :jeep: into a flea-mobile
SAWCE

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Sounds like there ain't too many options. Normally for the TNR programs, or at least when my wife worked at one... Was people would rent the traps for free ($100 deposit, get it back when you bring it in with a cat), trap a cat overnight, and bring it in the next morning. There was always a line of people at the door. They'd do something like 50-80 spay/neuters each day. I think there might have been a $10 charge if it was your own cat, but the city paid for it if it was a stray. Most people would just lie anyways and get it for free. But you had to take the cat back. You could in theory drop the cat off on the other side of town, but like I mentioned, that void is going to be filled with a new cat shortly.

I wish you could talk to these people and kind of bring them up to speed with how feeding them is bringing in new problems, but people is gonna people. Uneducated people is gonna people even more and hear the words coming out of your mouth but then forget them once you leave their driveway. Seeing what code enforcement does is a good next step. And even ask them what kind of options you have. This really is a lose/lose situation that's gonna result in a tough choice at one point.
We’ll try our northern neighbor’s gentlemanly suggestion of bringing Ava over so they can see, but I’m thinking you’ve hit the nail on the head with them thinking they’re doing these cats a service rather than the disservice that it actually is to them. Especially since our other neighbor has already tried talking to them about the issue.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Barrett said all the same things I was going to say.
(His wife was one that I asked)
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, stuff like this really tugs at my heartstrings. Want to save them all and give them a good life, but it's not always in the cards. Makes a :melon: sad to think about.
But, they're pests and a nuisance currently, so changes have to be made.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

ITT I learned about crazy cat people.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Melon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 pm Yeah, stuff like this really tugs at my heartstrings. Want to save them all and give them a good life, but it's not always in the cards. Makes a :melon: sad to think about.
Yeah.. the goal of this isn’t to harm them, just to find a solution to the problem that they’re causing.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 pm Yeah, stuff like this really tugs at my heartstrings. Want to save them all and give them a good life, but it's not always in the cards. Makes a :melon: sad to think about.
Yeah.. the goal of this isn’t to harm them, just to find a solution to the problem that they’re causing.
Right on man, I'm not advocating Catschwitz.
SAWCE

Melon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Right on man, I'm not advocating Catschwitz.
I didn’t think you were, but my first post sounded like that was my ultimate game plan. It’ll be a last resort if absolutely necessary down the line.
SAWCE

I know .gov stuff doesn’t work this quickly, even at the local level, but when I got home from work today there was only one cat in front of their house :notsure: I’ve never seen fewer than five cats lounging directly in front of their house with others out in the street and under cars.. Food bowls were still out there on the sidewalk. Will be interesting to see if they’re there in the morning or if some of them have actually been picked up by whoever code enforcement would have used.
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:19 pm I know .gov stuff doesn’t work this quickly, even at the local level, but when I got home from work today there was only one cat in front of their house :notsure: I’ve never seen fewer than five cats lounging directly in front of their house with others out in the street and under cars.. Food bowls were still out there on the sidewalk. Will be interesting to see if they’re there in the morning or if some of them have actually been picked up by whoever code enforcement would have used.
Nope.

Seven cats outside this morning. Yesterday afternoon must have been a weird anomaly.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:19 pm I know .gov stuff doesn’t work this quickly, even at the local level, but when I got home from work today there was only one cat in front of their house :notsure: I’ve never seen fewer than five cats lounging directly in front of their house with others out in the street and under cars.. Food bowls were still out there on the sidewalk. Will be interesting to see if they’re there in the morning or if some of them have actually been picked up by whoever code enforcement would have used.
Nope.

Seven cats outside this morning. Yesterday afternoon must have been a weird anomaly.
Are there any bylaws restricting feeding wildlife? You guys have a chance to speak to the hoarders about the fleas?
SAWCE

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:00 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am

Nope.

Are there any bylaws restricting feeding wildlife? You guys have a chance to speak to the hoarders about the fleas?
Yes, I believe there are laws against it from what I read online.

They weren’t home when I got home from the gym and then I was busy later in the evening and didn’t get a chance to head back over. Less going on tonight so I’ll try stopping by again.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:00 am

They weren’t home when I got home from the gym and then I was busy later in the evening and didn’t get a chance to head back over. Less going on tonight so I’ll try stopping by again.
I think this will work out for the best for you. Even if they choose to continue with the feedings you'll be able to lean on bylaw to get it fixed lickety split. If they don't comply after an official warning you'll have recourse to get them to pay for your next vet bill.

Good luck and sorry you have to deal with it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:21 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 am

I think this will work out for the best for you. Even if they choose to continue with the feedings you'll be able to lean on bylaw to get it fixed lickety split. If they don't comply after an official warning you'll have recourse to get them to pay for your next vet bill.

:yeahok:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:40 am

Please tell me you send this GIF in emails as unofficial legal advice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Really? They are doing something that is against code causing harm after being warned/fined for it. Why could you not take someone to small claims and get them to flip the vet bill? Not enough documented proof or something?

This is why I'm lot a lawyer lol
:ohwell:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Really? They are doing something that is against code causing harm after being warned/fined for it. Why could you not take someone to small claims and get them to flip the vet bill? Not enough documented proof or something?

I think you'd have problems with causation. MOSTLY the eye roll has to do with the concept of utilizing the legal system during the VID to get hoarders who feed feral cats to "pay their fair share." In terms of time investment it would be way more efficient to just move.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:40 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:34 pm

I think you'd have problems with causation. MOSTLY the eye roll has to do with the concept of utilizing the legal system during the VID to get hoarders who feed feral cats to "pay their fair share." In terms of time investment it would be way more efficient to just move.
Oh I see - duely noted, thanks man I appreciate it!

:lolol: at the bolded! Always top notch responses 🤣
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Please tell me you send this GIF in emails as unofficial legal advice.
Man if I could use one smilie at the office it would be the "AYFKM"
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I'd approach these people, explain the agony your dog is now in. See if they're willing to get flea/tick collars for the cats at least. Or take them somewhere to get spayed / neutered. Fixing them is the only way to stop the colony from growing.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... cat-collar

Nothing short of automatic sprinklers will stop them from coming into the yard and pooping / digging. You could try sprinkling cayenne pepper everywhere but the dog would get upset at that too so IDK.

Catching cats is easy as shit if you wanted to go that route. Put food out and they'll pretty much just come over to you. You could always catch and release them somewhere else I guess.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Don't kill the cats, kill the cat ladies

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 am Don't kill the cats, kill the cat ladies

Derivative idea, put antifreeze in her cat bowls and call the humane society/police on her for trying to poison the cats. :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:03 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 am Don't kill the cats, kill the cat ladies

Derivative idea, put antifreeze in her cat bowls and call the humane society/police on her for trying to poison the cats. :lolol:
:amazing:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.