OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:31 pm
My mother has always viewed Democrats as the downfall of society. I remember when Clinton was elected, she was convinced the country was screwed and made a huge deal about it.

In Meatchicken, we have a democratic governor who's viewed by many (myself included) as using the COVID situation for personal political gain making illogical decisions with lockdowns and whatnot. Overall IDGAF, but to my mother it makes the virus political and casts doubt on every single "fact" shared by the .gov. It's really sad.
Its much the same here in the Blessed lands. Democratic state because of Philly and Pittsburgh, the rest of this humongous state are dyed-in-the-wool Republicunts who blame all our ills on the democratic governor. While I frankly think he did a objectively damn good job with the virus.
Exactly the same situation in Illinois. Good dem governor who's handled the 'vid quite well, technically blue state but with a huge :fullretard: repub rural population who hates the gov'ner for no real reason. :rolleyes:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 pm Vaccine is coming, I am really not worried about availability or catching the VID before hand. We went through shit 10x worse if the numbers are to be believed and I'd rather wait for the beta testers to come back with news that hopefully won't be suppressed. By April which is a mere 5 weeks away I fully expect most people that WANT it can get it. And we're 12 months into this mess already, what's a paltry 5 weeks.

On a related note: I am really shocked at how much the negative publicity about the vaccines is being censored and suppressed. Let THE PEOPLE DECIDE. If they are too dumb to find fact from fiction they don't deserve a vaccine. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE. As opposed to some random bs where i am told it's 95% effective. I don't GAF. My population group's immune system is 99.98% effective against the virus so let us choose, and vaccinate those that are likely to die from it.
This is my POV as well. I'm in zero hurry to get the thing, mostly because I don't NEED it because I'm home all the time and avoid people. Let others that NEED it more (people who are forced to interact with others for employment, healthcare, etc) get mine for now. When I can just waltz into CVS and get it like a flu shot, then I'll consider it more.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My wife got the vaccine due to underlying conditions. Pfizer. First shot her arm was sore AF, second was very minimal.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Irish wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:10 pm

I know a few who have (Haley has). Most seem to report fairly significant side effects with the second dose, I've heard about a lot of pretty intense arm pain. I have been trying to get creative to find a way to get vaccinated. I'm signed up to volunteer at vaccination events (no spots available for this at the moment). I'm also looking at some events where you can wait in line for a leftover dose from a no show/cancellation.

:popcorn:
:impressive: Ive said before and I'll say it again, you're a good guy, Dan. The fact bolded above hould move you to the group at the head of the line IMO. I was in the first group (Group 1A here in PA) because of both my occupation and my underlying medical condition(s). But frankly, the pharmacy that gave me my shot checked neither. Just sayin'
I appreciate it but it was a selfish move :lolol: Evidently volunteers are able to get a dose. I am chomping at the bit to get vaccinated as I'd really like to :gtfo: of the damn house.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:43 pm My wife got the vaccine due to underlying conditions. Pfizer. First shot her arm was sore AF, second was very minimal.
Michelle had the opposite experience. First shot was nothing, second shot her arm was sore for two full days with pain radiating up into her head on day one.

Not sure if she got Pfizer or moderna.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:43 pm My wife got the vaccine due to underlying conditions. Pfizer. First shot her arm was sore AF, second was very minimal.
Michelle had the opposite experience. First shot was nothing, second shot her arm was sore for two full days with pain radiating up into her head on day one.

Not sure if she got Pfizer or moderna.
Yeah my understanding is that Michelle's experience is more common.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

The great state of Pennsyltucky just announced that Some COVID-19 vaccine intended for second doses was 'inadvertently' given as first doses instead. This may force rescheduling and what not. Not happy about this if it affects us. I am hearing way too many stories about people testing positive Covid while waiting for the second dose or shortly thereafter. PLus my FIL is not doing too well and my wife NEEDS to go go to Jersey to spend some time with him. We were hoping to put it off until we got the second dose, but if thats delayed then we will likely have to throw caution to the wind.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Irish wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:06 pm I hope everyone who had this godforsaken thing has recovered with no long term effects.

Wife unit and I just got the 1st dose of the Moderna Vaccine last week and are due for the second the first week of March. I hear the second dose can really eff a person up.... by setting off their immune system....but in for a penny, in for a pound.

Has anyone else gotten the shots? @Haleyann ?
oh hi

I did get the shots, Pfizer, first on Christmas eve and second in January. First dose my arm wasn't sore, it just got tired from little things like wiping down the counter. Easier than a tetanus shot. Second dose kicked my ass for the 12-36 hours post-shot. I had body aches, headache, 102 fever (with tylenol), chills, nausea. It sucked, but honestly I would do it again. You recover quickly from the vaccine, you're miserable for a day and then you're fine. If you get covid... you're miserable for weeks, and sometimes you're not fine. Worth it to me.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

haleyann wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:34 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:06 pm I hope everyone who had this godforsaken thing has recovered with no long term effects.

Wife unit and I just got the 1st dose of the Moderna Vaccine last week and are due for the second the first week of March. I hear the second dose can really eff a person up.... by setting off their immune system....but in for a penny, in for a pound.

oh hi

I did get the shots, Pfizer, first on Christmas eve and second in January. First dose my arm wasn't sore, it just got tired from little things like wiping down the counter. Easier than a tetanus shot. Second dose kicked my ass for the 12-36 hours post-shot. I had body aches, headache, 102 fever (with tylenol), chills, nausea. It sucked, but honestly I would do it again. You recover quickly from the vaccine, you're miserable for a day and then you're fine. If you get covid... you're miserable for weeks, and sometimes you're not fine. Worth it to me.
I've heard from a couple friends who are in healthcare that the second dose came with some symptoms. Neither said it was as bad as you describe, but definitely some milder flu-like symptoms for the next 24 hours. They say that's a good thing, in that your immune system is having a response to the viral DNA it's being presented with. Definitely better than actually getting the real thing, that's for sure. My cardio was fucked for a good 6 weeks, and as far as flu-like symptoms my case was very mild.
Irish

haleyann wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:34 pm

oh hi

Thanks for chiming in..... yeah worth a day ot two of discomfort especially to know that the symptoms/effects are actually proving that vaccine is working.....
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

One of my coworkers actually got covid in the weeks between her 1st and 2nd shots, I thought she would have less of an immune response because her body already recognized it. But no, we got our shots at the same time and we had the exact same symptoms.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

haleyann wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:48 pm One of my coworkers actually got covid in the weeks between her 1st and 2nd shots, I thought she would have less of an immune response because her body already recognized it. But no, we got our shots at the same time and we had the exact same symptoms.
Does she know how she got it ?
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:35 pm
haleyann wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:48 pm One of my coworkers actually got covid in the weeks between her 1st and 2nd shots, I thought she would have less of an immune response because her body already recognized it. But no, we got our shots at the same time and we had the exact same symptoms.
Probably from a patient. We’re around people with covid every day, and some of them refuse to wear masks.
max225

haleyann wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:41 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:35 pm

Probably from a patient. We’re around people with covid every day, and some of them refuse to wear masks.
Was she in PPE? Wow sucks that she doesn't know how it happened that would give me major anxiety. So does this mean PPE is defective and or not working? Or she didn't follow protocols ?
wap

PPE is highly effective, but not 100%
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 pm Vaccine is coming, I am really not worried about availability or catching the VID before hand. We went through shit 10x worse if the numbers are to be believed and I'd rather wait for the beta testers to come back with news that hopefully won't be suppressed. By April which is a mere 5 weeks away I fully expect most people that WANT it can get it. And we're 12 months into this mess already, what's a paltry 5 weeks.

On a related note: I am really shocked at how much the negative publicity about the vaccines is being censored and suppressed. Let THE PEOPLE DECIDE. If they are too dumb to find fact from fiction they don't deserve a vaccine. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE SIDE EFFECTS ARE. As opposed to some random bs where i am told it's 95% effective. I don't GAF. My population group's immune system is 99.98% effective against the virus so let us choose, and vaccinate those that are likely to die from it.
Survival rate =/= virus immunity effective rate.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:33 pm
haleyann wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Was she in PPE? Wow sucks that she doesn't know how it happened that would give me major anxiety. So does this mean PPE is defective and or not working? Or she didn't follow protocols ?
She always wears her PPE. But it's not 100% effective, especially when the patients won't wear their masks and are coughing all over the place. Hard to pinpoint exactly how she got it because we often don't know who has covid in the ER, most our tests take 24+ hours.
Irish

haleyann wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 am
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:33 pm

She always wears her PPE. But it's not 100% effective, especially when the patients won't wear their masks and are coughing all over the place. Hard to pinpoint exactly how she got it because we often don't know who has covid in the ER, most our tests take 24+ hours.
@haleyann - have you experienced firsthand instances where people are getting COVID more than once?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My wife managed to get vaccinated yesterday! She got her first dose of the Pfizer unit. She is a Digital Learning Director at a K-8 private school here, she is required to be at work all day every day, with other adults and students, so it is a pretty big relief that this process has started. I have been really conservative trying to stay safe but it's always a concern that she'll pick up the 'VID at work (or otherwise). She has been pretty good with quarantine as well but does do more of the occasional drinks with friends and such. They tend to be outdoor gatherings and pretty safe, but still more exposure than I've been willing to go for.

It's funny, they said starting 2/27 teachers/educators are eligible here. She previously wasn't able to get an appointment until mid April, some opened up yesterday at a clinic and they allowed teachers in.

I am hoping this means that supplies are becoming a bit more plentiful and perhaps I can hop on board soon as well :popcorn:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:12 pm My wife managed to get vaccinated yesterday! She got her first dose of the Pfizer unit. She is a Digital Learning Director at a K-8 private school here, she is required to be at work all day every day, with other adults and students, so it is a pretty big relief that this process has started. I have been really conservative trying to stay safe but it's always a concern that she'll pick up the 'VID at work (or otherwise). She has been pretty good with quarantine as well but does do more of the occasional drinks with friends and such. They tend to be outdoor gatherings and pretty safe, but still more exposure than I've been willing to go for.

It's funny, they said starting 2/27 teachers/educators are eligible here. She previously wasn't able to get an appointment until mid April, some opened up yesterday at a clinic and they allowed teachers in.

I am hoping this means that supplies are becoming a bit more plentiful and perhaps I can hop on board soon as well :popcorn:
Dude, I'm 52 and I have no real expectation of getting vaccinated before May. You are at the extreme back of the bus. I would anticipate you eating a shitload of popcorn.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:12 pm My wife managed to get vaccinated yesterday! She got her first dose of the Pfizer unit. She is a Digital Learning Director at a K-8 private school here, she is required to be at work all day every day, with other adults and students, so it is a pretty big relief that this process has started. I have been really conservative trying to stay safe but it's always a concern that she'll pick up the 'VID at work (or otherwise). She has been pretty good with quarantine as well but does do more of the occasional drinks with friends and such. They tend to be outdoor gatherings and pretty safe, but still more exposure than I've been willing to go for.

Dude, I'm 52 and I have no real expectation of getting vaccinated before May. You are at the extreme back of the bus. I would anticipate you eating a shitload of popcorn.
What I am finding is that, if you really want it, there are some ways.

I have a chance on getting it next weekend. Many vaccination events have a "back door line" of sorts where you can wait and they'll give you any leftovers from no-shows or cancellations. I know a few who have had success with this method. I am seriously sick of this shit and want to get the fuck out of my house, I am trying every avenue I can.
max225

My sig other is anti vaxxx. So that is fun! She has no plans of getting either herself or her 70+ y/o parents vaccinated, who are anti vax also.

I think I'll probably want to wait until May/June until I partake, I'll let you betatesters tell me what it's like. No rush.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:32 pm

I have a chance on getting it next weekend. Many vaccination events have a "back door line" of sorts where you can wait and they'll give you any leftovers from no-shows or cancellations. I know a few who have had success with this method. I am seriously sick of this shit and want to get the fuck out of my house, I am trying every avenue I can.
How is that going to allow you to change your behavior? Go hang out in bars with Trumpers? I mean, I don't see my lifestyle radically changing until real herd immunity makes public places somewhat safe.
Irish

I think alot of people are under the mistaken belief that the vaccine gives you blanket immunity. The science seem to be unclear on this. Its highly effctive at keeping people from getting really sick but the jury is still out on whether it actually keeps a person from being infected and, perhaps more importantly, being contagious.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/heal ... -mask.html

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... at-to-know
Last edited by Irish on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:13 pm

How is that going to allow you to change your behavior? Go hang out in bars with Trumpers? I mean, I don't see my lifestyle radically changing until real herd immunity makes public places somewhat safe.
I can have my parents over for dinner for starters. I can go eat a a restaurant. I can sit through a classroom session at a track event without fearing I'm going to get sick. I could join a gym and lift weights.

These are all things I could do now but choose not to. It's not that I'm dying to do anything that isn't currently allowed, I just choose to avoid things like indoor dining.

This has all gotten SIGNIFICANTLY shittier due to winter. We used to have a couple of people over, keep our distance and hang on the patio. We could go to breweries and have drinks outside, etc. It has been cold and raining for months and I am in true house arrest and it fucking sucks. I know many people have it much worse than I do, but it still sucks as someone who really values spending time with other people (I realize I am in the DFD minority here).