OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 pm
Acid666 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:45 pm

If you're a little woozy from the first, the 2nd will hit harder. Of the people I know that weren't phased for the first, the 2nd wasn't a big deal. But the few people I know that had a little bit of wonkyness with the first got hit a lot harder by the 2nd.
I probably had Covid, who knows.
I'm okay with the usual rhetoric, hoping it doesn't fuck with my heart, brain and lungs much.

Good heads up though, I'll plan to take a few days off when i go in for # 2.

Thanks man.
Sounds like your first reaction was pretty minor overall. I bet your second one will be not that much worse. :like:

Also, the odds of covid fucking with your heart, brain, and lungs are many many many times higher than the vaccine.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Acid666 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:45 pm

If you're a little woozy from the first, the 2nd will hit harder. Of the people I know that weren't phased for the first, the 2nd wasn't a big deal. But the few people I know that had a little bit of wonkyness with the first got hit a lot harder by the 2nd.
I'm okay with the usual rhetoric, hoping it doesn't fuck with my heart, brain and lungs much.

Thanks man.
I usually work M-F though Security is an on-call thing but I took my second shot toward the end of the work week
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:05 pm

Thanks man.
Sounds like your first reaction was pretty minor overall. I bet your second one will be not that much worse. :like:

Also, the odds of covid fucking with your heart, brain, and lungs are many many many times higher than the vaccine.
That's part of the big picture and the primary reason for me to get this vaccine.. Now the the :poop: vaccines are weeded and there is a clear favorite, it makes more sense to get the jab. There likely won't be a better version anytime soon. Earlier it made more sense for me to wait and see, since my chance of catching covid was drastically reduced thanks to our recent relocation, health, supplement intake, age, and family's lifestyle adjustments.

Still, I've never had a vaccine that puts pressure on my chest and heart, like this one, so there's more risk then advertised.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:41 pm
MrH42 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:12 pm

But none of the numbers have supported the doom and gloom the media was predicting with these games :iono:
For sure! Just saying 50 grander type events are still a no for me dawg.
Yeah, totally fair. Everyone has their own risk tolerance for this kind of stuff. If it makes you uncomfortable, by all means, stay home.

I feel much more comfortable going to something like that than any big indoor stuff. If the open air doesn't stop COVID at a football game, the alcohol I'm consuming will disinfect my gullet :D
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

So, people are slated to start coming back on Monday in small groups. It was also mandated that people had to be vaccinated in order to return to the building.

Of course, some higher-up decided to hoot and holler about vaccinations and muh freedumz, so now it has been determined that one of the buildings in our campus of three connected buildings will be designated as an "unvaccinated" building. This means that the doors leading from that building to the other two buildings will have the badge readers turned off. So, people can travel from the vaccinated buildings into the unvaccinated building, but would have to go outside and enter through the front lobby in order to return to the vaccinated side. Our shipping and receiving is handled from this unvaccinated building, which means the mailroom will have to exit the building and go through the front lobby just to deliver packages every day. The janitorial staff will have to do the same just to clean the bathrooms and such. The labs are located in that building, so if someone has to go to the lab for any reason, they have to exit outside just to return to their desk. Is it raining? Too bad. March on outside because some jackhole has a high enough title to assert that his tantrums are top priority at the expense of everyone else's efficiency and convenience.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I literally have a high school friend on facebook asking if the hockey arena has mask requirements for the caps game, which they do btw when they enter the arena. She moved from DC to Florida because she couldn't stand the restrictions :lol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MrH42 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:47 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:41 pm

For sure! Just saying 50 grander type events are still a no for me dawg.
Yeah, totally fair. Everyone has their own risk tolerance for this kind of stuff. If it makes you uncomfortable, by all means, stay home.

I feel much more comfortable going to something like that than any big indoor stuff. If the open air doesn't stop COVID at a football game, the alcohol I'm consuming will disinfect my gullet :D
I went to a Panthers game, NFG. I wore my mask when in line for beer and in the bathrooms, crowded semi-indoor areas like that. The seats are pretty darn open/outdoor, so I don't worry too much about it. Hopefully if I get COVID, it's mild after being vaccinated. I still take moderate precautions and follow the rules, but at a certain point, we can't put life on hold forever like Trudy said.

It is interesting to note that anecdotally, almost no one in my inner circle has gotten even a head cold in the past 1.5 years, I certainly haven't been sick in any capacity. I guess the social distancing and masks do work fairly well at reducing disease spread. All of that being said, I am an outgoing person and I'm willing to suffer through a cold once or twice a year to go to events like concerts and weddings, see friends and family, travel, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:32 pm So, people are slated to start coming back on Monday in small groups. It was also mandated that people had to be vaccinated in order to return to the building.

Of course, some higher-up decided to hoot and holler about vaccinations and muh freedumz, so now it has been determined that one of the buildings in our campus of three connected buildings will be designated as an "unvaccinated" building. This means that the doors leading from that building to the other two buildings will have the badge readers turned off. So, people can travel from the vaccinated buildings into the unvaccinated building, but would have to go outside and enter through the front lobby in order to return to the vaccinated side. Our shipping and receiving is handled from this unvaccinated building, which means the mailroom will have to exit the building and go through the front lobby just to deliver packages every day. The janitorial staff will have to do the same just to clean the bathrooms and such. The labs are located in that building, so if someone has to go to the lab for any reason, they have to exit outside just to return to their desk. Is it raining? Too bad. March on outside because some jackhole has a high enough title to assert that his tantrums are top priority at the expense of everyone else's efficiency and convenience.
This is one weird ass "solution"... wow.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:32 pm So, people are slated to start coming back on Monday in small groups. It was also mandated that people had to be vaccinated in order to return to the building.

Security guy here. Is this level of inconvenience on purpose? Otherwise badge readers can stay on and you can just modify access levels and their ability to interact with certain readers.

Example:
1. Vaccinated badge holders can access all general readers as normal
2. Unvaccinated workers cannot badge into readers leading into vaccinated buildings.

That does run into the problem of whether you’re allowed to hold a list of names with those who are unvaccinated so you can add that access level to them.

What I’m saying is you can make it less of a pain even though making it a pain seems like a morally right thing to do. :lol:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:00 pm

Seriously. And a lot of :butwhy: too.

I was in the office the last few days, it's still somewhat empty so people can space out ZFG. It also helps being in Manhattan where pretty much everyone is vaccinated. People only go to the office when there's a reason like a client meeting, brainstorming, problem solving, etc...things that actually help being in person. Otherwise, WFH. I don't get these return to office schemes at all. More complicated than necessary with :notsure: business results.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

razr390 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 pm

Security guy here. Is this level of inconvenience on purpose? Otherwise badge readers can stay on and you can just modify access levels and their ability to interact with certain readers.

Example:
1. Vaccinated badge holders can access all general readers as normal
2. Unvaccinated workers cannot badge into readers leading into vaccinated buildings.

That does run into the problem of whether you’re allowed to hold a list of names with those who are unvaccinated so you can add that access level to them.

What I’m saying is you can make it less of a pain even though making it a pain seems like a morally right thing to do. :lol:
That would require a security system that doesn't suck and/or a security team willing to figure it out.

As it turns out, everyone occupying the building in question is already vaccinated, so it's a moo point.

MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I guess the mandate states vaccination or weekly testing for companies over 100 people? I think my company is afraid of massive resignations if they force vaccinations, so we're doing mandatory weekly testing, regardless of vaccination status. We had mandatory masking if you weren't vaccinated. I thought that would push a ton of employees over the edge to get vaccinated, but nope. There were a ton of operators in production that were wearing masks for their entire 12 hour shift.

Interesting. We've had free on-site testing for a long time now, but the participation has been pretty low. Let's hope it's not the tickle your brain test still.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:47 am I guess the mandate states vaccination or weekly testing for companies over 100 people? I think my company is afraid of massive resignations if they force vaccinations, so we're doing mandatory weekly testing, regardless of vaccination status. We had mandatory masking if you weren't vaccinated. I thought that would push a ton of employees over the edge to get vaccinated, but nope. There were a ton of operators in production that were wearing masks for their entire 12 hour shift.

Interesting. We've had free on-site testing for a long time now, but the participation has been pretty low. Let's hope it's not the tickle your brain test still.
I think that is the only type of test?

Wow, so mandatory testing even for the vaccinated... :disgust:

Our company seems to have basically given up. Remote4lyfe. NC still requires masks for any indoor public space as far as I know, so they don't require anyone in offices.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:00 pm

Seriously. And a lot of :butwhy: too.

I was in the office the last few days, it's still somewhat empty so people can space out ZFG. It also helps being in Manhattan where pretty much everyone is vaccinated. People only go to the office when there's a reason like a client meeting, brainstorming, problem solving, etc...things that actually help being in person. Otherwise, WFH. I don't get these return to office schemes at all. More complicated than necessary with :notsure: business results.
Yes, there is a time and a place for sure... I think we're just still in the beginning of the long term societal changes from COVID. Companies are just trying to figure all of this shit out as they go.
wap

We're up to 88% vaccinated here at our facility. Almost no one at our TX location has been vaxxed and surprise, most of them got the 'vid :rolleyes: . I've personally talked 2 people here into getting jabbed. Been working on 2 more, with no success so far.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:06 pm
I think that is the only type of test?

Wow, so mandatory testing even for the vaccinated... :disgust:

Our company seems to have basically given up. Remote4lyfe. NC still requires masks for any indoor public space as far as I know, so they don't require anyone in offices.
[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:09 pm

The tests I've had done are only about 1" up the nostril, no brain tickling required.
Yeah, I've had the brain tickler once. I'm praying it's the pick your nose style now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm We're up to 88% vaccinated here at our facility. Almost no one at our TX location has been vaxxed and surprise, most of them got the 'vid :rolleyes: . I've personally talked 2 people here into getting jabbed. Been working on 2 more, with no success so far.
Bold move. I really don't engage in conversations like that at all in real life. I wish more people would get vaccinated, but the information is readily available to all, I can't imagine my opinions making any difference.

We have to hang out with my anti-vaxxer in-laws on Sunday... people who literally think it is the government putting a microchip in their bodies and that God doesn't want them to get vaccinated :disgust:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Day two and my chest still hurts. Anyone know if this is normal?
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:04 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm We're up to 88% vaccinated here at our facility. Almost no one at our TX location has been vaxxed and surprise, most of them got the 'vid :rolleyes: . I've personally talked 2 people here into getting jabbed. Been working on 2 more, with no success so far.
Bold move. I really don't engage in conversations like that at all in real life. I wish more people would get vaccinated, but the information is readily available to all, I can't imagine my opinions making any difference.

We have to hang out with my anti-vaxxer in-laws on Sunday... people who literally think it is the government putting a microchip in their bodies and that God doesn't want them to get vaccinated :disgust:
:disgust: How do you even?

Regarding my converts, these folks weren't anti-vax, per se, they are :manuel: warehouse workers who just didn't have all the information that is available. I know them, and we get along well. They know I'm a straight-up guy who won't give them :bs: info. They were curious and asked good questions though, and I gave them truthful answers. They expressed their reservations and I addressed them honestly, so there was no coercion at all. After they finally got them, hey were both glad they did.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:16 pm Day two and my chest still hurts. Anyone know if this is normal?
There've been reports of some chest pain and elevated heart rate for a couple days. I'd say give it another day or 2.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:19 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:16 pm Day two and my chest still hurts. Anyone know if this is normal?
There've been reports of some chest pain and elevated heart rate for a couple days. I'd say give it another day or 2.
And then what? If my heart is swollen should i really roll the dice on a second round?
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:27 pm

And then what? If my heart is swollen should i really roll the dice on a second round?
I doubt your heart is "swollen". If anything, you may have a touch of myocarditis, or pericarditis, which is very easily treated with an anti inflammatory if it doesn't go away on it's own. The one that I was on after my heart surgery was colchicine, as a preventative. But by all means see your dr. if it persists. Don't take medical advise from some :wap: :derp: on the internet. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:27 pm

I had a pretty elevated heart rate the day after shot one. I went on a bike ride that was not that hard by my usual standards and it was very tough/my HR monitor was yelling at me.

:iono: I would discuss with your doctor if anything, I don't know that DFD's COVID Expert Arm Chair QBs have your answers.

I haven't personally heard of any issues with healthy dudes in their 30s/40s, so I imagine you're good to go, but you would probably rest easier talking to a real professional.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:04 pm

Regarding my converts, these folks weren't anti-vax, per se, they are :manuel: warehouse workers who just didn't have all the information that is available. I know them, and we get along well. They know I'm a straight-up guy who won't give them :bs: info. They were curious and asked good questions though, and I gave them truthful answers. They expressed their reservations and I addressed them honestly, so there was no coercion at all. After they finally got them, hey were both glad they did.
It is heartening to know that such people still exist.

We could all use a dose of humility and open-mindedness.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:46 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 pm

It is heartening to know that such people still exist.

We could all use a dose of humility and open-mindedness.
For sure.