OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I was talking to the guy that owns the Farmers Insurance agency in my building and he said that he had about 7 friends all in their 30s and that 5 of them had moderate symptoms after the second dose. Four of them took off of work the next day, the other muddled through. I have had three clients (All over 65) get it and none of them reported anything more than Arm pain and fatigue.

Definately not a very large sample size..... but the robust immune systems of the the thirtysomethings versus the worn down ones of the olds seems to make sense of the differing reactions....
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Irish wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:05 pm I was talking to the guy that owns the Farmers Insurance agency in my building and he said that he had about 7 friends all in their 30s and that 5 of them had moderate symptoms after the second dose. Four of them took off of work the next day, the other muddled through. I have had three clients (All over 65) get it and none of them reported anything more than Arm pain and fatigue.

Definately not a very large sample size..... but the robust immune systems of the the thirtysomethings versus the worn down ones of the olds seems to make sense of the differing reactions....
Good info thank you
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm I did. They're supposed to schedule me in a few weeks for the second dose. It feels like a flu shot but the soreness lasts a bit longer. She was wiped out the next day from it despite them saying that typically happens on the second shot.
I don’t know where “typical” comes from it seems to affect everyone differently. And some feel nothing while others get hit hard, but all the negative effects are suppressed by the media.

Out of the 20+ I know that got vaccinated no one under 40 complained... the older the folks the more complaints. Seems like the virus itself... shocking
You're probably right. We're both 32, got the shots on Tuesday night, and had different outcomes. Luckily it only affected her the day after and she was fine today. I've been fine. :iono: It's a crapshoot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Irish wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 pm
haleyann wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:26 pm

No, I've had people test positive for months, which is why the CDC now recommends not even testing people for 90 days after they've tested positive. But I don't think I've seen anyone get sick again.
Hmmm... :yikes: are these people contagious for all that time?
No the contagious period is just for the first two weeks. But they can still test positive because it takes a while for the virus to clear from the body.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

haleyann wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:18 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 pm

Hmmm... :yikes: are these people contagious for all that time?
No the contagious period is just for the first two weeks. But they can still test positive because it takes a while for the virus to clear from the body.
Hi Haley!

I have a question for you.... My 9 yr old kiddo sat across from another kid for half an hour on Monday afternoon who apparently has covid right now. We are obviously self-isolating for the next 14 days (found out about the other kid tonight), but I'm wondering roughly when we will likely know if we are :doomed: or not. I heard 95 percent of people are symptomatic by day 11, and assume that one of the four of our household should have symptoms by Monday or Tuesday of this week (seven days after the exposure) if it followed my kid home.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:03 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:03 pm

Hi Haley!

I have a question for you.... My 9 yr old kiddo sat across from another kid for half an hour on Monday afternoon who apparently has covid right now. We are obviously self-isolating for the next 14 days (found out about the other kid tonight), but I'm wondering roughly when we will likely know if we are :doomed: or not. I heard 95 percent of people are symptomatic by day 11, and assume that one of the four of our household should have symptoms by Monday or Tuesday of this week (seven days after the exposure) if it followed my kid home.
That's if you're all symptomatic.

Get him tested, I suppose?
I assume one of us will have symptoms but who knows. The testing process sucks, and we are already locked out of school for 2 week irregardless of test results, thanks to strict protocols, for better or worse. :ohwell:

It would be good to know, I have grocery delivery service, etc if do get it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:50 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:48 pm

I have heard the opposite actually. That many younger people with more robust immune systems are having more severe side effects.
Interesting, share more please since myself and the woman will be getting one soon.
My wife (33) had some symptoms from her first Pfizer shot, sore arm, headache, drowsiness the day after... by the second day it had subsided.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Just got back to the office after getting my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I'm already hearing Bill Gate's voice in my head and growing a lizard tail. :notbad:

90 minutes and zero arm soreness so far.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:41 pm Just got back to the office after getting my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I'm already hearing Bill Gate's voice in my head and growing a lizard tail. :notbad:

Lizard tail would be 5/7. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:45 pm
wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:41 pm Just got back to the office after getting my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. I'm already hearing Bill Gate's voice in my head and growing a lizard tail. :notbad:

No doubt. And the best thing, if it gets cut off it'll grow back! :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:45 pm
No doubt. And the best thing, if it gets cut off it'll grow back! :nice:
:fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

News on my end. I got accepted to volunteer at a COVID vaccination clinic starting next week. As part of this I am now vaccination eligible and have an appointment set up for Wednesday morning. I will be assisting at a clinic for about 30 hours total over six sessions. Basically I will just help check people in, walk them where they need to go, etc.

I am pretty :excited: , a nice way for me to give back a little and also gain personally getting the vaccine.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm News on my end. I got accepted to volunteer at a COVID vaccination clinic starting next week. As part of this I am now vaccination eligible and have an appointment set up for Wednesday morning. I will be assisting at a clinic for about 30 hours total over six sessions. Basically I will just help check people in, walk them where they need to go, etc.

I am pretty :excited: , a nice way for me to give back a little and also gain personally getting the vaccine.
Admirable AF bro.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm News on my end. I got accepted to volunteer at a COVID vaccination clinic starting next week. As part of this I am now vaccination eligible and have an appointment set up for Wednesday morning. I will be assisting at a clinic for about 30 hours total over six sessions. Basically I will just help check people in, walk them where they need to go, etc.

Admirable AF bro.
If I am honest, it was 100% selfishly motivated, but I'm glad I can also help out a bit along the way.

I really look forward to being vaccinated though. I will certainly still be careful, masked, try to stay outdoors, etc. but will be able to ease up with hanging with family, flying, some indoor dining if it's not too crowded.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:05 pm
Admirable AF bro.
If I am honest, it was 100% selfishly motivated, but I'm glad I can also help out a bit along the way.

I really look forward to being vaccinated though. I will certainly still be careful, masked, try to stay outdoors, etc. but will be able to ease up with hanging with family, flying, some indoor dining if it's not too crowded.
Still, devoting 30 hours to :derp: s just to get vaccinated is :impressive:

I certainly don't care that much, but we do some indoor dining, and still participate in other activities...but we live in a much less dense area and it's pretty easy to space.
wap

Admirable AF bro.
:dat:
Yea man, way to go.
max225

Do you get to pick which vaccine ?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I have zero desire to get the vaccine. :iono:
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 pm I have zero desire to get the vaccine. :iono:
My sig other doesn’t either. It seems like it may wear off over time as well. So it may not make sense to get it early because shit is still closed. I’d think sometime in may would be perfect because the case counts should get low enough at that point for things to be open up... until the fall surge
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:40 pm I have zero desire to get the vaccine. :iono:
Same. Not to start :caspian: shit, but I'd rather wait and see on this thing. I'm fine with masks, social distancing, and staying the fuck home for a while longer.

I also believe that there's people far more valuable than me who should get it before me.

I want to see what things look like in the fall timeframe.
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:17 pm

I didn't.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Nah, gotta take what you can get around here. It seems like most end up with the Pfizer. My dad got Moderna :doe:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Left completely to my own devices, I would have rather waited.... but My Father in Law has been diagnosed with lymphatic cancer and we will need to be able to visit him and I need to start interviewing caregivers f-2-f if want to keep my business afloat.....
wap

I don't really see a huge problem with not waiting. The more of us that are vaccinated, the more difficult it will be for the virus to spread. And the sooner more of us are vaccinated, the sooner the spread will slow. And the sooner that happens, the more difficult it will be for the various mutations to take off.

Plus, my mom is 90 yo. I'd like to be able to give her a hug this year, FFS.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:17 pm I don't really see a huge problem with not waiting. The more of us that are vaccinated, the more difficult it will be for the virus to spread. And the sooner more of us are vaccinated, the sooner the spread will slow. And the sooner that happens, the more difficult it will be for the various mutations to take off.

Plus, my mom is 90 yo. I'd like to be able to give her a hug this year, FFS.
:dat:

I am also not going to try to start a vaccination debate here :doe:

If people aren't comfortable with it and they are comfortable with continuing the House Arrest Life, go for it. More doses for those who want to move on. I am very much not looking forward to it, it makes me uncomfortable. I have no real fear and think my discomfort is irrational, but I still feel it.