DFD Travelogue - From 7-11 to the Arctic - Post it up

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:55 pm Hopefully. Jamaican gov declared a state of emergency, which i read as military backing up the police. I need to do more reading, because I'm bringing my wife and kids obviously and want to make moves to keep them out of harms way.
For sure. Do what's best for you and them.
So my first impression of the situation is that people (gangs) are hurting for cash and willing to pluck tourists with money in public places which makes sense, but have read about hundreds of local deaths as well. Resorts and the path from airport to resorts are likely well guarded for the sake of saving their top source of income. Since a state of emergency is declared things will get visually worse or better by the time we go. Military will be added to the police presence.

If things are worse and it becomes dangerous for tourists on resort then refunds will likely become available even last minute. No news will be good news by then, and the extra :massles: should probably be an effective deterrent.

Boy i sure know how to pick them.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm
wap wrote:
For sure. Do what's best for you and them.
So my first impression of the situation is that people (gangs) are hurting for cash and willing to pluck tourists with money in public places which makes sense, but have read about hundreds of local deaths as well. Resorts and the path from airport to resorts are likely well guarded for the sake of saving their top source of income. Since a state of emergency is declared things will get visually worse or better by the time we go. Military will be added to the police presence.

If things are worse and it becomes dangerous for tourists on resort then refunds will likely become available even last minute. No news will be good news by then, and the extra :massles: should probably be an effective deterrent.

It'll also affect the tourism industry there too, just like here thanks to our cheeto.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm So my first impression of the situation is that people (gangs) are hurting for cash and willing to pluck tourists with money in public places which makes sense, but have read about hundreds of local deaths as well. Resorts and the path from airport to resorts are likely well guarded for the sake of saving their top source of income. Since a state of emergency is declared things will get visually worse or better by the time we go. Military will be added to the police presence.

It'll also affect the tourism industry there too, just like here thanks to our cheeto.
I bet it already is affecting it now. Locals are getting desperate and Jamaica is traditionally a pretty dangerous place to begin with so I guess there will be fireworks soon. Hopefully its under control in a month or so
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
I bet it already is affecting it now. Locals are getting desperate and Jamaica is traditionally a pretty dangerous place to begin with so I guess there will be fireworks soon. Hopefully its under control in a month or so
That I can agree, probably some travel warnings towards Jamaica too. Since the international market is huge for a getaway.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Check if State Department issued any travel warnings. Compare both from US and Canada.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Leaving for HK airport in a couple hours.

--2 from last night on the water during the Festival of Lights at night about 2000/8pm every night. Really fun to watch and see.

-One from Victoria Peak. Nice tram ride up the mountain. Was a touch cloudy but still a dramatic view from there. Worth the 12$US ticket price. At night is simply amazing...

Davestr

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:39 pm I bet it already is affecting it now. Locals are getting desperate and Jamaica is traditionally a pretty dangerous place to begin with so I guess there will be fireworks soon. Hopefully its under control in a month or so
Check if State Department issued any travel warnings. Compare both from US and Canada.
Excellent advice and its always good to register before or after you arrive with the Embassy. Can be done online....
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

On an extended vacation in Qatar. 6 1/2 months living in this country. That will push me to a total of 13 months here in the last 2.5 years
Davestr

On board the A380 tracking West over China. 27kft on the way to 40k for cruise. Complimentary WiFi active for world wide off topic engagements!!
Davestr

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:50 am On an extended vacation in Qatar. 6 1/2 months living in this country. That will push me to a total of 13 months here in the last 2.5 years
Be safe man!! :like:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 am On board the A380 tracking West over China. 27kft on the way to 40k for cruise. Complimentary WiFi active for world wide off topic engagements!!
:fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote:On board the A380 tracking West over China. 27kft on the way to 40k for cruise. Complimentary WiFi active for world wide off topic engagements!!
Impressive Dave! Looks like retirement is treating you well man. Enjoy it :)
Davestr

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 am
Davestr wrote:On board the A380 tracking West over China. 27kft on the way to 40k for cruise. Complimentary WiFi active for world wide off topic engagements!!
Impressive Dave! Looks like retirement is treating you well man. Enjoy it :)
Yo just for me to chat DFD in the air :)
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I may have a possibility of going to Ibiza during summer, couple of my friends here can fly there and I'll fly to Ibiza from Turkey with couple of friends from there. It's not a serious subject to discuss at this point. For my Us friends, it'll be their first time going across the atlantic.

But I really want to go to Ibiza, never been to Spain. Roadtrip from Barcelona along with it, hmmm.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apparently flight from barcelona to ibiza is $26, that's dirt cheap!! Algiers in Algeria is also only 100 miles away according to googlemaps, hmmm.

Also renewed my IATA card :fuckyeah:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Davestr wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:18 am Impressive Dave! Looks like retirement is treating you well man. Enjoy it :)
Yo just for me to chat DFD in the air :)
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:04 pm I may have a possibility of going to Ibiza during summer, couple of my friends here can fly there and I'll fly to Ibiza from Turkey with couple of friends from there. It's not a serious subject to discuss at this point. For my Us friends, it'll be their first time going across the atlantic.

But I really want to go to Ibiza, never been to Spain. Roadtrip from Barcelona along with it, hmmm.
Sounds 5/7! :doit:
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm Apparently flight from barcelona to ibiza is $26, that's dirt cheap!! Algiers in Algeria is also only 100 miles away according to googlemaps, hmmm.

:mindblown:
Can't afford NOT to go!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:47 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:16 pm Apparently flight from barcelona to ibiza is $26, that's dirt cheap!! Algiers in Algeria is also only 100 miles away according to googlemaps, hmmm.

:mindblown:
Can't afford NOT to go!
$26 bucks?? lol i'm kidding. But I'm assuming things are a lot cheaper compared to US dollars, for a decent hotel, I may pay equivalent to a motel for nightly rate. It's not exactly a serious consideration, but it's an easy ferry access from Murcia Spain. I have more desire to visit Morocco, particularly Casablanca and Marakech. There's also a really good driving roads and mountainous scenery, but I doubt i'd rent a good car for it. Who knows.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

In Turkey, a dinner of 7 in an upscale restaurant is still cheaper than dinner of 3 at tgi fridays and the like in dollars.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 pm In Turkey, a dinner of 7 in an upscale restaurant is still cheaper than dinner of 3 at tgi fridays and the like in dollars.
And probably 50 times better.

Sounds like Greece actually.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 pm I just realized I have plenty of miles to go to Europe in business class...
Been there. Done that. 5/7 experience, as you know.
The question is, do you have enough for the 3 of you to go business class? If so, :doit:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm

The question is, do you have enough for the 3 of you to go business class? If so, :doit:
He's too young for that trip yet. I have plenty for two. He would stay with grand ma
That would be a total waste of money.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

wap wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm

He's too young for that trip yet. I have plenty for two. He would stay with grand ma
Then the 2 of you :doit:
Where would you want to go?
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 pm

That would be a total waste of money.
Probably, but friends took their then 20 month old to Greece. He was a good traveler overall, but it was challenging.