OT 11: Troyway to Heaven

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 am
C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:18 am Need some DFD wisdom/confirmation bias. :). I might have found a unicorn month to month apartment. All inclusive around $1215. Basic TV, internet, all utilities includes, 2 car port spots, full size washer and dryer, and some other shizzit. This place is also 100% renewable energy (believe me I am all about being green, but I had no idea this place had this. wasn't anything I was seeking out).

My hang up is the cost. This is actually cheaper than a lot of apartments go for around here, but may be tough on my budget. I will have to cut back on my groceries. Money will be tight. I currently pay $850 a month all inclusive with a roommate. He drives me crazy and cooks late at night and is dirty as fuck. Do you guys think it is worth making some big time sacrifices for a peace of mind and having my own place on a month to month lease? I am leaning towards yes right now.

I don't have furniture, but might be able to get stuff from my parents. Viewing this place tomorrow.

Any tips on renter's insurance? I had it once before many years ago, but I will need to get it again. I am currently on a shared plan with my roommate. It kills me to know rent is expensive, but I can't buy a starter home or anything until my job situation is ironed out, and who knows what state or where I will live one day. Tired of all the moving, but I am making sacrifices to be flexible to propel my career.
What is the total monthly cost of each? $850 plus utilities and stuff? That probably works out to $1,000 versus $1215... not a huge difference, worth it in my opinion.

I did the whole roommates to save money thing for a long ass time, and man, it can really suck. I had good roommates and bad roommates, but overall, it's just a pain in the ain. Furniture can be gotten free/cheap easily if you're willing to go used. Look on CL or just send a feeler out to friends/family who are local, people are getting rid of things all of the time.

I would imagine Albany (IIRC this is where you are) is pretty cheap though, you could probably find a more affordable place if desired. Check out Zillow/CL for condos owned by individuals and try to rent right from them. I've gotten some good places this way. Some will even be flexible on the time.

How soon might you move? If it's just a few months, I'd just stay where you're at and save/don't go through the hassle of moving.
My $850 now includes everything. No idea when I will move or if soon. Fed jobs are tough right now. Fortunately, I do not own much stuff.I always made it so I could be mobile. I could probably move just by using my SUV.

I have been looking around and it seems almost everyone wants a 1 year lease unless you find a roommate you live with.
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Also the 30% figure is net pay for me after contributing towards retirement, health insurance, taxes and so on. Doesn't account for student loans and other shit.

Hot damn. $1200/month is like a $250k mortgage! Definitely better to own here rather than rent if possible.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 am

what % of take home would rent be?
Would be right around that 30%. Those student loans thooooo. My roommate could be worse, but I am just getting too old for this shit. I want to go to bed early during the week. Turning 29 next week so don't feel like dealing with some asswipe double frying shrimp at 11pm on a Wednesday and never cleaning.
well that about on target for what is typical and still leaving money for fun, dont know what the loans are but w/e if the numbers add up it should be managable.

just :scrooge: out on other shit like cable and what not.
brain go brrrrrr
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:42 am
C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 am

Would be right around that 30%. Those student loans thooooo. My roommate could be worse, but I am just getting too old for this shit. I want to go to bed early during the week. Turning 29 next week so don't feel like dealing with some asswipe double frying shrimp at 11pm on a Wednesday and never cleaning.
well that about on target for what is typical and still leaving money for fun, dont know what the loans are but w/e if the numbers add up it should be managable.

just :scrooge: out on other shit like cable and what not.

Yeah, I don't really watch much TV and this place includes all that shit. I should be making some money on selling these Xbox One X coming soon to me too haha.
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:30 am Renters insurance is only a few dollars/month. I use Amica for my insurance... I don't have a renters policy anymore, but I think it was like $70/year or something for up to $15k.
Nice thanks! I am trying to read up if all policies are pretty standard or what.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am Also the 30% figure is net pay for me after contributing towards retirement, health insurance, taxes and so on. Doesn't account for student loans and other shit.

Hot damn. $1200/month is like a $250k mortgage! Definitely better to own here rather than rent if possible.
$1200 might be just the mortgage, but that wouldn't take into account property taxes, insurance, etc.

In your position, do not feel stupid about renting. It's the smart choice, especially in this market. You want to make sure you're ready to settle down somewhere for a while before you consider buying something. The "throwing money away on rent" can be a fallacy based on the situation. Yours is one of them.

You should be fine at 30%...just as brad said, :scrooge: where you can on non-essentials like cable.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 am
C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 am Also the 30% figure is net pay for me after contributing towards retirement, health insurance, taxes and so on. Doesn't account for student loans and other shit.

$1200 might be just the mortgage, but that wouldn't take into account property taxes, insurance, etc.

In your position, do not feel stupid about renting. It's the smart choice, especially in this market. You want to make sure you're ready to settle down somewhere for a while before you consider buying something. The "throwing money away on rent" can be a fallacy based on the situation. Yours is one of them.

You should be fine at 30%...just as brad said, :scrooge: where you can on non-essentials like cable.
:dat:

Renting is also really nice from an :aintcare: perspective. Even living in the townhouse my gf owns now... there's a lot of caring that can be time consuming. I have always been very clean, but giving a shit about fixing little things versus just not giving a damn renting. They both have their places and which is better is 100% situational.
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Yeah thanks! The scrooge in me wants to stay here, but I am just fucking tired of roommates. I've had them since I was 18. Hopefully the tour goes well tomorrow.

My roommate may get pissed because our place now is $1805 a month plus heat and electric. Hey, he knows he has a month to month agreement with me. He probably shouldn't have gotten a Benz...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 am

Yeah thanks! The scrooge in me wants to stay here, but I am just fucking tired of roommates. I've had them since I was 18. Hopefully the tour goes well tomorrow.

My roommate may get pissed because our place now is $1805 a month plus heat and electric. Hey, he knows he has a month to month agreement with me. He probably shouldn't have gotten a Benz...
:lolol:
brain go brrrrrr
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 am

Stupidity man. He is all about appearance apparently, but is dirty as fuck. Washes his Benz every week, but can't throw out a dirty ass carpet and not get rice everywhere.

Last week he was pan frying shrimp and then put them in the fucking air fryer at 11pm on a Wednesday. Last night, I got back from Buffalo at 11pm and he was talking on the phone and the fucking place smelt like fried food again. You would think at 26 with a good job at a pharmaceutical company he would stop living like a 21 year old moron college student. NOPE.
Last edited by C00bs on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

:lolgasm: :murica:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 am

Stupidity man. He is all about appearance apparently, but is dirty as fuck. Washes his Benz every week, but can't throw out a dirty ass carpet and not get rice everywhere.

Last week he was pan frying shrimp and then put them in the fucking air fryer at 11pm on a Wednesday. Last night, I got back from Buffalo at 11pm and he was talking on the phone and the fucking place smelt like fried food again. You would think at 26 with a good job at a pharmaceutical company he would stop living like a 21 year old moron college student. NOPE.
:gag:
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am

I mean he is a former D1 bball player and comes from a wealthy family. He probably has no student loans and makes around 60-70k. But still... Don't be buying a Benz when rent is $1805 plus utilities and when I cover only $850 on a month to month agreement lol.
ChrisoftheNorth

C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am
I mean he is a former D1 bball player and comes from a wealthy family. He probably has no student loans and makes around 60-70k. But still... Don't be buying a Benz when rent is $1805 plus utilities and when I cover only $850 on a month to month agreement lol.
:derp:

Mommy and daddy will probably help out when things get tough. No accountability.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

fresh :fax: !
brain go brrrrrr
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:08 am
C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 am

:derp:

Mommy and daddy will probably help out when things get tough. No accountability.
I am just amazed how shitty people are. He goes to this mega church and preaches. I wonder if he talked about how he had 2 girlfriends at the same time and about all bout his sex rendezvous.

Entertaining at least. Also, who da fuck talks to friends on the phone every fucking day at 10 or 11pm? Shit maybe I will text but everyone I know is winding down or already sleeping because they have work the next day.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:08 am All Star Wars are decent. They are entertaining but not much more. This is their intent and they do it well.
:dat:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

C00bs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:18 am Need some DFD wisdom/confirmation bias. :). I might have found a unicorn month to month apartment. All inclusive around $1215. Basic TV, internet, all utilities includes, 2 car port spots, full size washer and dryer, and some other shizzit. This place is also 100% renewable energy (believe me I am all about being green, but I had no idea this place had this. wasn't anything I was seeking out).

My hang up is the cost. This is actually cheaper than a lot of apartments go for around here, but may be tough on my budget. I will have to cut back on my groceries. Money will be tight. I currently pay $850 a month all inclusive with a roommate. He drives me crazy and cooks late at night and is dirty as fuck. Do you guys think it is worth making some big time sacrifices for a peace of mind and having my own place on a month to month lease? I am leaning towards yes right now.

I don't have furniture, but might be able to get stuff from my parents. Viewing this place tomorrow.

Any tips on renter's insurance? I had it once before many years ago, but I will need to get it again. I am currently on a shared plan with my roommate. It kills me to know rent is expensive, but I can't buy a starter home or anything until my job situation is ironed out, and who knows what state or where I will live one day. Tired of all the moving, but I am making sacrifices to be flexible to propel my career.
$1215 is kind of :waxer: but happiness is worth spending money on. Just make sure you can afford it and you won't go house poor with it. i.e. make a cash flow sheet and play around with it.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:08 am All Star Wars are decent. They are entertaining but not much more. This is their intent and they do it well.
Some are definitely more decent than others, :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

:hai:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

We spent a bit more money in our place here in Alexandria and were that much more thankful for it. Having in-unit laundry and living 0.25 miles from my job is a godsend in the DC metro area. The community itself is also very nice, gated, and active. They have forums so people can post stuff for sale and whatnot. It’s really nice
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
Some are definitely more decent than others, :doe:
PHANTOM MENACE RULES!

Dat pod racer sound
wap

Ugh. 3rd bout of mudbutt this morning for no apparent reason. :disgust: :poop: :rage: :butwhy: :disappoint:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Here's a depressing read: Millennials are Screwed

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/arti ... llennials/
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
C00bs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

4zilch wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:37 am Here's a depressing read: Millennials are Screwed

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/arti ... llennials/
It's going to be OK. I am putting half my paycheck in bitcoin. :lol: