Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:48 pm
Calvinball wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 pm

Why brew so much?

Sent from the Beer Depository
Why not?
Okay, the real reason is that I live local to Beer, Beer & More Beer (now More Beer / morebeer.com).I bought a lot of my supplies from them and was in the shop probably 3 days a week to see new stuff or buy ingredient kits.

They started cutting me deals on the 50 pound sacks of grain and if I bought 4 sacks it was REALLY cheap. So, I ended up buying some air tight containers and would buy 100 pounds of 2 row and sacks of crystal## and even chocolate and store it. Then I would buy whole hops from freshops.com. I would also use a yeast starter and a stir plate + 1 liter flask, so I always had yeast on hand.

When you have all the components you need, it was easy to brew often, and in large batches.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:48 pm Why not?
Okay, the real reason is that I live local to Beer, Beer & More Beer (now More Beer / morebeer.com).I bought a lot of my supplies from them and was in the shop probably 3 days a week to see new stuff or buy ingredient kits.

They started cutting me deals on the 50 pound sacks of grain and if I bought 4 sacks it was REALLY cheap. So, I ended up buying some air tight containers and would buy 100 pounds of 2 row and sacks of crystal## and even chocolate and store it. Then I would buy whole hops from freshops.com. I would also use a yeast starter and a stir plate + 1 liter flask, so I always had yeast on hand.

When you have all the components you need, it was easy to brew often, and in large batches.
Gotcha.

Once I get back into it I'll stick with 5 gal batches, I just don't know what I would even do with more.

:therapist:
Calvinball

And I'll never be brewing often enough that bulk deals will make sense.

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Calvinball wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Okay, the real reason is that I live local to Beer, Beer & More Beer (now More Beer / morebeer.com).I bought a lot of my supplies from them and was in the shop probably 3 days a week to see new stuff or buy ingredient kits.

Gotcha.

Once I get back into it I'll stick with 5 gal batches, I just don't know what I would even do with more.

:drunk:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:50 pm And I'll never be brewing often enough that bulk deals will make sense.

They really don't.

IF I ever brew again I'll just buy the supplies to do a batch at a time. I'll probably still stick to recipes for 10 gallon batches though. I almost always would overshoot my gravity with some crazy mash efficiency and say screw it and make them bigger beers than the target.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 pm
Calvinball wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 pm And agreed. I need to start brewing again.

I've been tempted to restart as well, but that is where my weight gain problems began.

You can't brew 15 gallon batches and have 90 gallons kegged with 30 more in the conicals w/o drinking a lot and adding some pounds. It was always a race to empty kegs before fermentation completed, and get the next batch brewing.. :lol:

Now I think its better to just buy the beer and not deal with the killing of a day sanitizing, brewing and cleaning up.
This is why i also stick to one at a time, 5 gallon batches. I have thought about adding a 2nd keg so I have two types of beer on hand, but i never pull the trigger....partly because I know I should not be drinking that much. :lol:
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:46 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I've been tempted to restart as well, but that is where my weight gain problems began.

You can't brew 15 gallon batches and have 90 gallons kegged with 30 more in the conicals w/o drinking a lot and adding some pounds. It was always a race to empty kegs before fermentation completed, and get the next batch brewing.. :lol:

Now I think its better to just buy the beer and not deal with the killing of a day sanitizing, brewing and cleaning up.
This is why i also stick to one at a time, 5 gallon batches. I have thought about adding a 2nd keg so I have two types of beer on hand, but i never pull the trigger....partly because I know I should not be drinking that much. :lol:
Yeah, I admit that I let it get out of control. I eventually sold all my Corny kegs and I had 26 of them. I had two converted chest freezers with 2x4 gaps with taps and one of the True kegerators that held 2 Corny kegs and a 10 lb co2 tank with a dual regulator.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Are you guys brewing all-grain, or are you using extract kits?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:38 am Are you guys brewing all-grain, or are you using extract kits?
I do extract brewing. Easier to nail every time. Sure its a little more expensive, but the time savings is real. And less mess.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 pm I've been tempted to restart as well, but that is where my weight gain problems began.

I have to give away a lot or I never get through it.

Calvinball

CorvetteWaxer wrote:Are you guys brewing all-grain, or are you using extract kits?
I do/did partials. At the new house I have way more room and may move up to all grain, but I have to just start back up first.

Calvinball

Haven't posted in a while...

Calvinball

Very good. I was back at my bottle shop like 3 days later and they were all gone.

Calvinball

Very good as well. Little bit of spice, flavors all worked well together.

Calvinball

Ballast Point cashing in on the hazy IPA craze.

Calvinball

As usual, you had me at "bourbon stout."

Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Made a pilgrimage this weekend after skiing Killington:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:Made a pilgrimage this weekend after skiing Killington:

Lucky duck!

Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 pm
Thedude wrote:Made a pilgrimage this weekend after skiing Killington:

Lucky duck!

The Focal Banger is really good. I actually like it better than Heady as it's more hop-forward with hints of tropical fruit. Very drinkable... as in it's easy to get carried away. Crusher is real solid... a tad bit more hoppy with a dry finish. SoS is simply delightful and smooth yet bursting with flavor.
Calvinball

Thedude wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 pm Lucky duck!

The Focal Banger is really good. I actually like it better than Heady as it's more hop-forward with hints of tropical fruit. Very drinkable... as in it's easy to get carried away. Crusher is real solid... a tad bit more hoppy with a dry finish. SoS is simply delightful and smooth yet bursting with flavor.
Only one I've had is the Heady.

Calvinball

Not bad, not amazing but pretty good. The bourbon isn't real pronounced.

Calvinball

Yum.

Calvinball

Also very yum.