Real Estate Thread

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 pm

I'd say half a million in cash buys a lot of independence. :lol: could possibly start a business or get a better place etc etc.
Yea, but would you really?
Ideally yes? I mean I am trying to get myself out of this sheeple life and into something a bit more financially sound. This requires making risky choices as such that I am considering.

Obviously the "normal" thing to do is to just sit on it and think it's going nowhere but up. Get a car on stretch pay and "live life to the fullest because I am going to die tomorrow" but that's not the path I see for myself.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm I just don't see how companies can afford to be here long term. It is way too expensive to operate out of California. And our real estate prices are completely insane.

I am just worried that there is a startup bubble here... too many companies that make no money and pay their employees 200k a year to do nothing but lose more money.

It is :fullretard: over here.
I've been saying this about CA for years, and there hasn't been any change of course. I think it's fake news, TBH. The intellectual capital alone is enough to keep companies there, despite the cost from taxes, operating, etc, etc.

There's probably a startup bubble, but once that bursts, there's still plenty of established companies to hire those out of work. Perhaps not the same income level, which will level out real estate values, but no way will it tank. No fucking way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

I have some opportunities to invest the money, but it is problematic because it would be tied to real estate once again. :disgust: and that's what I am trying to avoid...

I just don't see how $1000 a sq foot for a rotten house (not mine) with termite damage is 'ok'. That's just an enormous sum of money for something so :disgust: the economics of it all simply don't work.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm
Yea, but would you really?
Ideally yes? I mean I am trying to get myself out of this sheeple life and into something a bit more financially sound. This requires making risky choices as such that I am considering.

Obviously the "normal" thing to do is to just sit on it and think it's going nowhere but up. Get a car on stretch pay and "live life to the fullest because I am going to die tomorrow" but that's not the path I see for myself.
You do you, I guess. We all have our own priorities.

I think there's a blend. Don't live life on stretch pay, be responsible, but not full-blown :scrooge:

You need to accept the fact that if you sell your place, you're selling NorCal. You will be going somewhere else, which doesn't sound like something really want.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 pm I have some opportunities to invest the money, but it is problematic because it would be tied to real estate once again. :disgust: and that's what I am trying to avoid...

I just don't see how $1000 a sq foot for a rotten house (not mine) with termite damage is 'ok'. That's just an enormous sum of money for something so :disgust: the economics of it all simply don't work.
Totally. But this has been going on for years...with no sign of slowing down, and there's no economic indicators that show it will.

I wouldn't invest more in real estate, but it's not going to go down, that's for sure.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:48 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm I just don't see how companies can afford to be here long term. It is way too expensive to operate out of California. And our real estate prices are completely insane.

I am just worried that there is a startup bubble here... too many companies that make no money and pay their employees 200k a year to do nothing but lose more money.

It is :fullretard: over here.
I've been saying this about CA for years, and there hasn't been any change of course. I think it's fake news, TBH. The intellectual capital alone is enough to keep companies there, despite the cost from taxes, operating, etc, etc.

There's probably a startup bubble, but once that bursts, there's still plenty of established companies to hire those out of work. Perhaps not the same income level, which will level out real estate values, but no way will it tank. No fucking way.
I am not expecting 2008-10 to happen here. But Something more like 2000-2 when the .com bubble burst.

We arguably have the highest IC of any area on the planet sure, but I am just not seeing it being put to use in a sustainable way.

Twitter
Uber
Linked In
Netflix
Lyft

Are just some of the bigger names that are burning through capital and have non-sustainable business models.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:52 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:50 pm I have some opportunities to invest the money, but it is problematic because it would be tied to real estate once again. :disgust: and that's what I am trying to avoid...

Totally. But this has been going on for years...with no sign of slowing down, and there's no economic indicators that show it will.

I wouldn't invest more in real estate, but it's not going to go down, that's for sure.
Based on some of the financial data I have seen, we have completely run away from the rest of the country from 14-17. Before then it was "in line" just more expensive than anywhere else.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:48 pm

I am not expecting 2008-10 to happen here. But Something more like 2000-2 when the .com bubble burst.

We arguably have the highest IC of any area on the planet sure, but I am just not seeing it being put to use in a sustainable way.

Twitter
Uber
Linked In
Netflix
Lyft

Are just some of the bigger names that are burning through capital and have non-sustainable business models.
But that doesn't seem to matter anymore. The market isn't reacting in rational ways, which I guess could be a tech bubble 2.0 type thing. But I remember reading about Tech bubble 2.0 in 2011 when there was a rush of companies like groupon, etc with massive IPOs going nuts. It hasn't slowed down.

Should it? Absolutely. It's just hard to say when...and there's no sign of a slow-down. Speculation continues to fuel this run-up, with no end in sight.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:47 pm

I think there's a blend. Don't live life on stretch pay, be responsible, but not full-blown :scrooge:

You need to accept the fact that if you sell your place, you're selling NorCal. You will be going somewhere else, which doesn't sound like something really want.
I won't go somewhere else, but I'd get a smaller place in a more desirable hood, even if it costs more. I can afford something more expensive, and I'll have the downpayment etc covered.

But yea the ideal situation would be to time this with a slight downturn where there would be more inventory to pick from. We got NOTHING out here... NOTHING even at these prices everything goes at 103-105% of list, and with NO CONTINGENCIES. Broken foundation, no roof, hookers up front. Doesn't matter.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm

I won't go somewhere else, but I'd get a smaller place in a more desirable hood, even if it costs more. I can afford something more expensive, and I'll have the downpayment etc covered.

But yea the ideal situation would be to time this with a slight downturn where there would be more inventory to pick from. We got NOTHING out here... NOTHING even at these prices everything goes at 103-105% of list, and with NO CONTINGENCIES. Broken foundation, no roof, hookers up front. Doesn't matter.
That's in most parts of the country. Things here sell above list always and within days. Without some other economic driver (job losses, etc), I don't see this trend changing anytime soon. You could be living with pops for years before it got somewhat appealing again. I don't think that's worth it, personally.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:09 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm

That's in most parts of the country. Things here sell above list always and within days. Without some other economic driver (job losses, etc), I don't see this trend changing anytime soon. You could be living with pops for years before it got somewhat appealing again. I don't think that's worth it, personally.
It is a big risk... also if the "big" one hits... I could be out of a job also... same situation as everyone else. So ain't nobody gonna buy a house then.

:disgust: I have to think this through.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:09 pm
It is a big risk... also if the "big" one hits... I could be out of a job also... same situation as everyone else. So ain't nobody gonna buy a house then.

:disgust: I have to think this through.
The "big one" is devastation on an unfathomable level. You can't plan for that...honestly probably best to ignore it if you're not willing to leave.

I just don't see what you'd gain by selling now. You really think it's going to dip? What would cause said dip? Jerry seems to have things under reasonable control at the .gov level, companies are heavily invested in the area and not likely to leave en masse (especially tech companies that don't rely on large scale manufacturing), sure there's a startup bubble, but when that pops it probably won't devastating to the point where housing values will DROP significantly (just stop climbing). Sell now or sell in a few years, you're not going to lose anything other than maybe opportunity cost if there was something you really wanted to get into I guess.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit argues California will never implode despite being the cradle of asshattery.
Max argues California is not sustainable.

Must be the eclipse.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 pm Detroit argues California will never implode despite being the cradle of asshattery.
Max argues California is not sustainable.

Must be the eclipse.
I honestly don't give a fuck. I left because of the asshattery and will never go back.

But, if I was invested there with a solid place that was affordable and a good job, I wouldn't make any moves unless I was leaving entirely.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

FWIW Max, if you've got a great business plan and want to use your equity for that, I'm all on board.
But if you're just betting on a Bay Area real estate correction, eh, I'm with Chris.

I would look at it this way. If you're ok cashing out, moving in with pops, putting the money somewhere reasonably safe and then if you are wrong, renting in the city to regain autonomy, then go for it.

Frankly, Cheeto contributing to a stock market crushing world conflagration is more likely that a massive quake.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, you live in a strange place insofar as financial logic gets strained. There are 35 year old guys driving around in Ferraris with their startup dough everywhere yes? Do you ever think "Why am I not that guy?" Because you know, it sounds like you're worth 7 digits at age 33. Objectively, there's no real need to kill yourself.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote:Also, you live in a strange place insofar as financial logic gets strained. There are 35 year old guys driving around in Ferraris with their startup dough everywhere yes? Do you ever think "Why am I not that guy?" Because you know, it sounds like you're worth 7 digits at age 33. Objectively, there's no real need to kill yourself.
THAT
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 pm FWIW Max, if you've got a great business plan and want to use your equity for that, I'm all on board.
But if you're just betting on a Bay Area real estate correction, eh, I'm with Chris.

I would look at it this way. If you're ok cashing out, moving in with pops, putting the money somewhere reasonably safe and then if you are wrong, renting in the city to regain autonomy, then go for it.

Frankly, Cheeto contributing to a stock market crushing world conflagration is more likely that a massive quake.
Somehow, the market continually ignores the Cheeto. I'd bet on a quake.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 pm FWIW Max, if you've got a great business plan and want to use your equity for that, I'm all on board.

It appears that his deregulation of the financial sector is more important than the fact that he is a narcissistic twitter obsessed nutjob.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm
It appears that his deregulation of the financial sector is more important than the fact that he is a narcissistic twitter obsessed nutjob.
:dat:

So, :nuke: is a ways off.
ChrisoftheNorth

In my case, I wish we could sell our house. With the impending :nuke: of the auto industry, our house won't be worth this much for at least a decade. I'd love to cash out and rent for a bit then buy somewhere with lower property taxes when things tank, but Infamous isn't having it.

Oh well. I'll just enjoy my life because spending it all worrying about squeezing every dollar out of everything is sad.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:09 pm In my case, I wish we could sell our house. With the impending :nuke: of the auto industry, our house won't be worth this much for at least a decade. I'd love to cash out and rent for a bit then buy somewhere with lower property taxes when things tank, but Infamous isn't having it.

Oh well. I'll just enjoy my life because spending it all worrying about squeezing every dollar out of everything is sad.
:dat: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:09 pm In my case, I wish we could sell our house. With the impending :nuke: of the auto industry, our house won't be worth this much for at least a decade. I'd love to cash out and rent for a bit then buy somewhere with lower property taxes when things tank, but Infamous isn't having it.

Yeah, that whole Hobbition nesting thing has become such a part of your life fabric that might as well just write off any thoughts of your equity being part of your financial plan unless you move. Forrest Gump would just tell you it's one less thing to think about.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeah, that whole Hobbition nesting thing has become such a part of your life fabric that might as well just write off any thoughts of your equity being part of your financial plan unless you move. Forrest Gump would just tell you it's one less thing to think about.
I underestimated how much the bubble in our area would grow, and how much the nesting appealed to other buyers. Unfortunately, it's a done deal with Infamous...unless I get a :waxer: job out of state.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Hobbits aren't meant to go on adventures.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR