Real Estate Thread

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wherever will appreciate enough so that we can afford to buy something we actually want in 20 years. Picking places that we liked in the short term was our past strategy and we lost out on $200k+ by doing that. We won't buy a place we like again until it's our death house...
Nothing will appreciate all that well in two years that you guys tend to spend somewhere unless you go somewhere people what to live (which tends to be the places you don't want to go). It's a tough catch 22 and I don't envy you.
If we can get $50k/year out of a house, we could change up the job situation and still end up ahead even with lower salaries...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 am
troyguitar wrote:
If we can get $50k/year out of a house, we could change up the job situation and still end up ahead even with lower salaries...
Typically one can't do that with any real regularity though.
:word:

I think now that so many perks lucked out like that in the last few years after the crash, everyone is into it and trying to replicate, meaning prices are going shooting up at an unsustainable rate. Buying now to try to make money is a poor choice, IMO.

I'm in kind of a similar situation to :mahtroy: , will elaborate with some pricing links later. It's cool that I have controlled rent via my gf's townhouse, but we're in the boonies which I don't really love and getting back into the city in an actual decent place seems like a near impossibility now.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The real question is... should one sell. I'm in a unique position to do so. However I'd have to move in with my dad at 33 ... it would be the ultimate :scrooge: move. I don't want to live in the area where I'm at and I want to relocate ... it seems like it would make sense to sell right meow
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:30 pm The real question is... should one sell. I'm in a unique position to do so. However I'd have to move in with my dad at 33 ... it would be the ultimate :scrooge: move. I don't want to live in the area where I'm at and I want to relocate ... it seems like it would make sense to sell right meow
What is the maximum time sustainability of this course of action?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:39 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:30 pm The real question is... should one sell. I'm in a unique position to do so. However I'd have to move in with my dad at 33 ... it would be the ultimate :scrooge: move. I don't want to live in the area where I'm at and I want to relocate ... it seems like it would make sense to sell right meow
6-18 months. There has to be a market correction that is in the works and at that point I want to change jobs to work and live in sf.

But I'd be cashing out a very good amount of money at that point.

However I'd essentially be a bum
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:39 pm

6-18 months. There has to be a market correction that is in the works and at that point I want to change jobs to work and live in sf.

Yeah I dunno man. A real estate correction in SF proper hasn't really happened ever? I guess it would hit Eastbay first.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:31 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Yeah I dunno man. A real estate correction in SF proper hasn't really happened ever? I guess it would hit Eastbay first.
Yes. Happens every 6-9 years like clock work were in year 8. For the past 60 years.

Also I'm in the east gay
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'd say that based on the amount of :troywax: floating around, actual land/homes should be a buy and hold proposition moving forward. :iono: Image
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I guess renting is out of the question due to price? I wouldn't want to do the parent thing even though they're cool... Just... No. I wouldn't do the roommate thing again either. There comes a time in life where that stuff is just a big :nope: and for me that's 28 apparently.

That's a really tough call, I'm sure with the rising values, you have a lot of cash in the house, which is cool, but what if SF doesn't drop? Could you afford anything at current prices? It's a big risk that could end up forcing you to leave the area if it doesn't work out right.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SF prices aren't going anywhere. Is this seriously a discussion?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am SF prices aren't going anywhere. Is this seriously a discussion?
Sure, they probably won't take a big dump, but he could be right about a dip. Dips happen.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:08 am SF prices aren't going anywhere. Is this seriously a discussion?
Sure, they probably won't take a big dump, but he could be right about a dip. Dips happen.
Unless the current tech bubble pops big time (which I consider unlikely) the most "dip" will just be no growth in values. Prices will never go down unless "the big one" hits and CA breaks off into the ocean.

Having something in that area couldn't be safer. Selling is full :derp: because you'll never be able to get back into the market.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:21 am Sure, they probably won't take a big dump, but he could be right about a dip. Dips happen.
Unless the current tech bubble pops big time (which I consider unlikely) the most "dip" will just be no growth in values. Prices will never go down unless "the big one" hits and CA breaks off into the ocean.

Having something in that area couldn't be safer. Selling is full :derp: because you'll never be able to get back into the market.
:like:

Voice of reason can be a bitch some days.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am
Detroit wrote:

Likewise Max is the voice of reason in many other topics, now Detroit is in his.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am
Detroit wrote:

:like: :dat: :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

If you're willing to move in with Dad, why not do that and hold onto your place and just rent it out? Have some other schmuck pay your mortage for you while you :scrooge: at Dad's place and then if prices keep climbing for another year or two you can sell closer to the top of the market...
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:23 pm
If you're willing to move in with Dad, why not do that and hold onto your place and just rent it out? Have some other schmuck pay your mortage for you while you :scrooge: at Dad's place and then if prices keep climbing for another year or two you can sell closer to the top of the market...
The ultimate :scrooge: move, but holy fuck. Part of the reason you work and make money is independence, yes? My sister in law and her husband do this...rent out their condo on the beach and live with his dad, and while they make a bunch of money, it causes a bunch of undue stress when you realize your grown adults living with your fucking parent because you're :scrooge: or :crang:

Come on people.

If money is that fucking important, you REALLY need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.
max225

The assumption is that we have topped out... the whole point is to cash out and use that money for something else. That something else is not something I have determined yet.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:28 pm

The ultimate :scrooge: move, but holy fuck. Part of the reason you work and make money is independence, yes? My sister in law and her husband do this...rent out their condo on the beach and live with his dad, and while they make a bunch of money, it causes a bunch of undue stress when you realize your grown adults living with your fucking parent because you're :scrooge: or :crang:

Come on people.

If money is that fucking important, you REALLY need to re-evaluate your priorities in life.
I'd say half a million in cash buys a lot of independence. :lol: could possibly start a business or get a better place etc etc.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:02 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am :like:

Likewise Max is the voice of :225: in many other topics, now Detroit is in his.
:dat:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
max225

I just don't see how companies can afford to be here long term. It is way too expensive to operate out of California. And our real estate prices are completely insane.

I am just worried that there is a startup bubble here... too many companies that make no money and pay their employees 200k a year to do nothing but lose more money.

It is :fullretard: over here.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

Come on people.

Word son, fuck bitches and get money. And don't move back in with your parents. :trollface:

But for real, my dad is getting older, I can see having him move in with me eventually to take care of him.
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
max225

I see it as a temporary thing... Obviously living with my dad isn't a permanent solution. 6-12 months... is the timeframe.
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Come on people.

Word son, fuck bitches and get money. And don't move back in with your parents. :trollface:

But for real, my dad is getting older, I can see having him move in with me eventually to take care of him.
That is a completely different situation.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Come on people.

I'd say half a million in cash buys a lot of independence. :lol: could possibly start a business or get a better place etc etc.
Yea, but would you really?