OT X - Here for the Crang Bang

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 am I love Google music
I've been considering switching from Spotify.
I haven't used Spotify much, but I can say that Google Music leaves me wanting for nothing. And if you're an Android phone user, the integration across the android universe is awesome.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Yeah, I want to be able to punch a hole in my firewall for the VPN connection so I can view my IP Cameras from my phone or the internet safely. Also, since I no longer use Comcast business since I wanted gigabit, I have a DHCP address, so I wanted a router that will use the dynamic DNS services.

I didn't want to hook them up behind my router and have double NAT going on or anything funky, so I opted out. I tried the eero units and had 2 of the 3 die immediately upon powering up and trying to auto-update the firmware. :( The support team was less than surprised and told me to return them.

For now the Asus unit is fine though, it gets WIFI across my whole lot and into the garage for the sprinkler controller with a steady strong signal.
Google WiFi can accommodate all this with some minor work. Read up and you should be fine if you want to go that way.
Ah, cool. in December I had read they didn't have the firewall options available at all. Will look into it.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:37 am

Interesting. Google thing seems to be the same as Sonos, just that Sonos has the wifi thing built in.
$200 per speaker is :disgust: doe.

I'll see what the ladyfriend thinks of google music.
I have 5 Sonos Play:5's and two Sonos Play:3's. They are excellent.

I have two of the play 5's paired in the garage and two paired up in the front of the house for stereo L+R and one in my office. Then I have the two Play:3's paired up as L+R in my workout room on stands.

They sound amazing and give you a convenient app for phone, tablet or PC to control any speaker in the network, or to combine them all. The speakers are pretty damned high quality sounding, so adding Chromecast Audio and buying amplified speakers that sound as good will cost you the same or more.

For someone that already has powered speakers with an input they are happy with, Chromecast Audio is a good option. From scratch, I would pick Sonos again. I have a Chromecast hooked up to my AV receiver as an audio input now along with my NVIDIA Shield that is a ChromeCast as well, but my expensive Paradigm HT speakers are much better for movies than music, so I still use the Sonos for music.
Can Sonos do bluetooth too in case guests come over and want to play stuff over the speakers?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 am

I've been considering switching from Spotify.
I haven't used Spotify much, but I can say that Google Music leaves me wanting for nothing. And if you're an Android phone user, the integration across the android universe is awesome.
I use Google Music, Spotify, SiriusXM and Pandora as well as Amazon.

Spotify and Google are very similar, but Spotify seems to get some content the others don't, like live concert replays.

Sonos's interface to all the speakers and sources, including my local library is nice:

ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 am
I'm actually really satisfied with Spotify. The one thing I like about Google Music is the integration with Google, and also the ability to import your own music.
Not to mention, Youtube Red included (no ads) is a pretty nice bonus.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:47 am

I have two of the play 5's paired in the garage and two paired up in the front of the house for stereo L+R and one in my office. Then I have the two Play:3's paired up as L+R in my workout room on stands.

They sound amazing and give you a convenient app for phone, tablet or PC to control any speaker in the network, or to combine them all. The speakers are pretty damned high quality sounding, so adding Chromecast Audio and buying amplified speakers that sound as good will cost you the same or more.

For someone that already has powered speakers with an input they are happy with, Chromecast Audio is a good option. From scratch, I would pick Sonos again. I have a Chromecast hooked up to my AV receiver as an audio input now along with my NVIDIA Shield that is a ChromeCast as well, but my expensive Paradigm HT speakers are much better for movies than music, so I still use the Sonos for music.
Can Sonos do bluetooth too in case guests come over and want to play stuff over the speakers?
Not my older speakers, but my Play:5's are the older units and have Line in, so you can hook up a Chromecast Audio to them.

They may have added bluetooth to the newer ones, not sure.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 am
Not my older speakers, but my Play:5's are the older units and have Line in, so you can hook up a Chromecast Audio to them.

Interesting. Just crazy how :waxer: they are.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Actually, if you let them on your wifi they can install the app and control the players and play their content.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:54 am

Not to mention, Youtube Red included (no ads) is a pretty nice bonus.
That's a yuuuuuge bonus. Hmmmm...
I haven't seen an ad on YouTube in years.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 am

Actually, if you let them on your wifi they can install the app and control the players and play their content.
Right, still installing an app.

Not really big deal, doe...but it is nice to let people connect to a speaker easily every so often.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am

Interesting. Just crazy how :waxer: they are.
All of the connected speaker systems are $$$.

Look at this one, which IMO wasn't as good as the Sonos system:

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundTouch- ... +system+iv

There are cheaper solutions, but they also don't compare on audio quality or features. This halfway compares to any other audio component. Is a $100 speaker fine? Probably. Is a $500 or $2000 speaker better? Probably. Depends on what you want/need from the system.

With two Play 5's in my livingroom and playing Higher Truth I hear the pick on the strings of the guitar and every bit of his voice. The sound is so full that I feel like I'm in the room with him playing for me, a lot like the HT tour concert I went to. On my "expensive" HT speakers it is much more toned down and lifeless. The Sonos system when set in a L+R config sound a lot like a set of expensive headphones on an amp that are speakers.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:01 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 am

Not really big deal, doe...but it is nice to let people connect to a speaker easily every so often.
I dunno, I hate people though. :lol:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

NEEK wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:13 am
SAWCE wrote:Yeah that grey color looks solid :neek:
We should honestly be best friends.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Move back down here and we can do all the things together.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, I guess I have a slightly different need.

In the kitchen, garage, outside, etc...sound quality doesn't really matter that much. Noise in the kitchen, noise outside, noise in the garage...I wouldn't be able to tell the quality difference, TBH. Music is just so I have something in the background really.

If I want to really listed to music, I head to my den where I setup/restored my dad's old Sansui 9090db and Infinity Q4's. Same level of clarity you describe with Sonos...and probably should be because it was all $950 in 1978 (he saved the receipt). I want to put a Chromecast on that system to replace the shitty bluetooth receiver I have on it now.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:01 pm

I dunno, I hate people though. :lol:
Same. Infamous is always having people over and having parties, etc.

:rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:33 pm
Detroit wrote: I haven't used Spotify much, but I can say that Google Music leaves me wanting for nothing. And if you're an Android phone user, the integration across the android universe is awesome.
That. Mood playlists are awesome too.
Oh yea, the mood playlists are 5/7. I use those quite frequently.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:37 am

Interesting. Google thing seems to be the same as Sonos, just that Sonos has the wifi thing built in.
$200 per speaker is :disgust: doe.

I'll see what the ladyfriend thinks of google music.

I guess that's true. Good speakers cost money.
ChrisoftheNorth

Where'd everyone go?
ChrisoftheNorth

:|
SAWCE

Dang.. Brand New is finally releasing an album after their last one came out in 2009.. I saw a social media post about pre orders for the new album 30 minutes after it went up. Vinyl was already sold out by the time I tried buying one. Hopefully it's just the pre orders that are sold out and they'll make more available on the release date.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:hai:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:33 pm:hai:
:howdy:
SAWCE

Oh shit! Refreshed the page and was able to get one! Pumped. Their music is so good.
ChrisoftheNorth

Isn't Brand new just a girly "punk" band?
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Dropped the wife off at the airport this morning. And ive been pulling my hair out in :rage: for the last three hours at work.