Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:21 pm :idbu: So :idbu: 5 :idbu: years :idbu: of :idbu: dishwasher-only :idbu: use :idbu: on :idbu: my :idbu: few :idbu: old :idbu: victorinox :idbu: knives :idbu: having :idbu: done :idbu: no :idbu: noticeable :idbu: damage :idbu: to :idbu: my :idbu: :derp: :idbu: ass :idbu: means :idbu: that :idbu: I'm :idbu: just :idbu: experiencing :idbu: :alpo: :idbu: luck? :idbu:
In summation: :idbu:

I have a decent set of Victrionox knives, and we wash them in the dishwasher. By no means am I say this is correct. They're decent but just don't hold a blade as well as others (We tried maintaining them properly, but once it was clear they were not 5/7 knives, we said 'fuck it' Also: I'm lazy ) I have to sharpen them about every 5th time they're used, but when the chef knife is sharp, :bruh: it will slice through a tomate like it's not even there.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Obviously I don't know how to knife just like I don't know how to eat or taste or see or feel or think or drive or wrench or cook or clean.

What would you require to accept that my knives are acceptable?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:22 pm So being super anal about everything might not actually be necessary if you buy the right stuff? :notbad:

The way I read what you guys are saying is that your way is the only way to do everything. My "argument" is that you might be able to get away without being so bloody OCD about everything. Y'all are effectively changing your oil every 500 miles because it's cheap insurance.
Sort of.

I view it as such:

Based on personal experience, I know that changing my oil every 20k miles is a bad idea over the long term. So changing oil every 5k seems to be a reasonable inconvenience to ensure longevity of my engine. If YOU have an engine that can run over a given period of time on those extended ODI’s that’s fine.

Same thing here. My personal experience tells me that I get rust spots on knives at times in the dishwasher. It’s a minor inconvenience to hand wash them to ensure they stay in good condition. I’d rather not experiment with a expensive chef knife. If your knives live just fine running through the dishwasher, that’s great... it’s not for me, and it’s not something I’m willing to expirement with.

Additionally, I use many of my knives several times a day...I can literally use my chef knife 4-5 times a day...3 meals and a snack of 2...so tossing it into the dishwasher isn’t really convenient, especially considering we only need to run our dishwasher once a week or so.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:52 pm Obviously I don't know how to knife just like I don't know how to eat or taste or see or feel or think or drive or wrench or cook or clean.

What would you require to accept that my knives are acceptable?
Oh fuck off Troy.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This is the first legit knife fight I've ever been in.

#sohardcore
troyguitar

Melon wrote:This is the first legit knife fight I've ever been in.

#sohardcore
You'd obviously win because my knives are so fucked up they couldn't cut through a warm stick of butter. I don't know how I make toast let alone chop peppers.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:07 pm

#sohardcore
You'd obviously win because my knives are so fucked up they couldn't cut through a warm stick of butter. I don't know how I make toast let alone chop peppers.
Mmmmm pepper toast.

Nah, my Victrinox just haven't held up super well, and need constant sharpening.
I use mine the same way you do, they're sharp for the most part, not like a really nice chef's knife doe.
It's like a good suspension set-up vs. one that's perfectly dialed in. One's good, but the other is magical.
troyguitar

:iono: I've never sharpened mine. They cut stuff easily, same as the new ones. The total :scrooge: knives? Yeah they have rust spots and are a PITA.

This reads like motor oil arguments to me. You guys sound like the armchair chemists swearing that mobil 1 is trash and only the :waxer: special stuff can possibly hold up to road racing use... meanwhile shops like Phoenix have been winning races for 20+ years on walmart-grade mobil 1.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 pm :iono: I've never sharpened mine. They cut stuff easily, same as the new ones. The total :scrooge: knives? Yeah they have rust spots and are a PITA.

This reads like motor oil arguments to me. You guys sound like the armchair chemists swearing that mobil 1 is trash and only the :waxer: special stuff can possibly hold up to road racing use... meanwhile shops like Phoenix have been winning races for 20+ years on walmart-grade mobil 1.
Why did you register for new knives if your old ones are fine?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

For me the litmus is tomatoes.

If the knife cuts with only horizontal movement and no downward pressure, then it is sharp enough.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
troyguitar

Sno wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 pm :iono: I've never sharpened mine. They cut stuff easily, same as the new ones. The total :scrooge: knives? Yeah they have rust spots and are a PITA.

I had 2 little victorinox ones that are awesome, we registered for more of those to replace my shitty walmart set. Apparently even my good stuff sucks though.

On Topic: I just ate some :disgust: ribs and roasted potatoes that I cooked the wrong way with the wrong tools. I bring shame upon myself and my family.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:07 pm

#sohardcore
I legit lololed at this
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

Actually, now that I think about it I don't chop peppers anymore. The (frozen) pre-chopped bags of them from Trader Joe’s are cheaper than buying whole peppers and reduce prep time. :themoreyouknow:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:29 pm
Sno wrote:
I had 2 little victorinox ones that are awesome, we registered for more of those to replace my shitty walmart set. Apparently even my good stuff sucks though.

On Topic: I just ate some :disgust: ribs and roasted potatoes that I cooked the wrong way with the wrong tools. I bring shame upon myself and my family.
Did anyone actually say this?
Calvinball

Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Calvinball wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:55 pm Image

Yassss, you putting a protein up in that goodness?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Plat, because I got a bunch on Amazon on the cheap. M-1 is good stuff.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Calvinball wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 pm For me the litmus is tomatoes.
Same, when it just slices perfectly.

:megusta:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Hey, this :waxer: believes in Mobil 1.

Think of it like this, if you had some awesome specific tools, or even a Fluke meter, would you just leave them outside in the rain/snow all year round, or would you make sure you cleaned them up and put them away when you are done with them? Do you have any air tools? Have you ever added oil to them like you are supposed to, or just run them all dry because they worked last time?

Take care of your tools and they will last a long time and in return take care of you.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:29 pm I had 2 little victorinox ones that are awesome, we registered for more of those to replace my shitty walmart set. Apparently even my good stuff sucks though.

Did anyone actually say this?
No, only the voice in Troy's head that tells him that we're telling him we hate him when it just isn't true.
Calvinball

Sno wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:55 pm Image

Yassss, you putting a protein up in that goodness?
Snausages

Calvinball

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

FWIW, we got :waxer: high end Wusthof Trident full tang knives for our wedding 20 years ago and we have routinely put them in our last 3 dishwashers for 20 of those 20 years with zero issues and zero rust. I sharpen them from time to time with a Wusthof steel and they're fine. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Related question:

How do you all sharpen your serrated knives? Is there any special technique for serrated blades? I've just been running the non-serrated side across the steel every now and then but don't know if that's the best way.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:43 am Related question:

How do you all sharpen your serrated knives? Is there any special technique for serrated blades? I've just been running the non-serrated side across the steel every now and then but don't know if that's the best way.
Pay someone else to do it, but honestly my serrated knives are cheap enough that I’ll just replace them when they dull.