Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Sno wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 pm Zilch made some simple winter salads for dinner tonight.

Arugula
Grilled chicken
Finely sliced shallots (dem knife skills, doe)
Roasted red beets
Roasted butternut squash
Goat cheese
Walnuts
Homemade raisin vinaigrette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would inhale that.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Any of y'all ever taken a basic knife skills class? It came up lately as something of interest and I would like to research a little and see if it is worth it. I don't think that I suck at it but it scratches an itch of something I'd like to know how to do properly.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

stripethree wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 am Any of y'all ever taken a basic knife skills class? It came up lately as something of interest and I would like to research a little and see if it is worth it. I don't think that I suck at it but it scratches an itch of something I'd like to know how to do properly.
Knifes 101: Push really hard. Brute force will cut through anything, even with a dull blade. :sawce:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:17 am
stripethree wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 am Any of y'all ever taken a basic knife skills class? It came up lately as something of interest and I would like to research a little and see if it is worth it. I don't think that I suck at it but it scratches an itch of something I'd like to know how to do properly.
Knifes 101: Push really hard. Brute force will cut through anything, even with a dull blade. :sawce:
Knives 102: Make sure the blade is in line with your forearm to get the most force as you plunge it just to the left (your right) of your opponents sternum, between the 3rd and 4th ribs. Once you feel the blade puncture the paricardium and enter the heart muscle, give it a good twist before pulling it out.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Advanced Knifing: Always use the dishwasher.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm Advanced Knifing: Always use the dishwasher.
I'm poor so I don't have a dishwasher :triggered:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I have not, dis would also interest me.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 pm
Course was provided on the previous page. You can Venmo or Paypal myself, :wap: , and :mahtroy: $5 each.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Course was provided on the previous page. You can Venmo or Paypal myself, :wap: , and :mahtroy: $5 each.
:dat:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

stripethree wrote:Any of y'all ever taken a basic knife skills class? It came up lately as something of interest and I would like to research a little and see if it is worth it. I don't think that I suck at it but it scratches an itch of something I'd like to know how to do properly.
To go from fumbling buffoon to “hey that looks like how they do it on Top Chef!” is pretty easy.

Knife hand, pinch the bottom of the blade between index and thumb, the other on the handle.

Food hand, do a bear claw and curl your finger tips under, and use your knuckles as a guide against the knife higher up where they aren’t in danger of contacting the blade. Use a rocking motion to chop/slice.

Obviously couldn’t take a pic by myself if both hands in action.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Calvinball wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 am
stripethree wrote:Any of y'all ever taken a basic knife skills class? It came up lately as something of interest and I would like to research a little and see if it is worth it. I don't think that I suck at it but it scratches an itch of something I'd like to know how to do properly.
To go from fumbling buffoon to “hey that looks like how they do it on Top Chef!” is pretty easy.

Knife hand, pinch the bottom of the blade between index and thumb, the other on the handle.

Food hand, do a bear claw and curl your finger tips under, and use your knuckles as a guide against the knife higher up where they aren’t in danger of contacting the blade. Use a rocking motion to chop/slice.

:notbad: tutorial.

I need a not shit kitchen and a good knife or two.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

OMG I love scallops. Top ten favorite food. And those look amazing.

I made dinner for the roommates two nights ago, meatloaf made with a pepper bacon jelly and pieces of bacon, topped with a ketchup and brown sugar sauce, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and pan roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon. It was 5/7, especially considering I haven’t made meatloaf in years.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Skipped breakfast, made it for lunch instead.

Spicy sausage
2 eggs
Sharp cheddar
Everything bagel

Knife in dishwasher
Walmart plate
Galaxy S4 potato

wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:27 pm Skipped breakfast, made it for lunch instead.

Spicy sausage
2 eggs
Sharp cheddar
Everything bagel

Knife in dishwasher
Walmart plate
Galaxy S4 potato

That looks 5/7.

And I put my :waxer: Wusthof knives in the dishwasher all the time. No noticable damage after 20 years so :aintcare:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

More good stuff from the Blessed Lands Renaissance Man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Homemade poptarts by request in OT

Pastry crust:
2 1/2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
8 TBsp cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2” pieces (1 stick)
6 TBsp shortening
6 TBsp ice cold water
1 large egg mixed with 2 TBsp of milk (This will be your egg wash)

Or just buy premade pastry dough. But I’ll judge ya for it.

For the filling:
3/4 cup strawberry jam (I use smackers. Jam. Not jelly. You are also welcome to fill them with whatever the F you want. Nutella, cinnamon sugar, etc. go on with your bad self.)
1 TBsp cornstarch
1 TBsp cold water

For the icing:
1 cup Powered sugar
1/2 Milk
2 TBsp Clear corn syrup
1 tspn Lemon juice

These measurements are guesses. I wish I had measurements for this but this is my go to royal icing recipe that I use for everything and I do it by sight and feel now and have lost the original recipe. Mix it until the consistency is not runny. You want the icing to hold it’s shape just a bit but you really can’t fuck this up. We call it a three second pull in the baking world. If you can run a spoon down the middle of the icing in the bowl and still see the line after 3 seconds, you’re good.

To make the dough:
Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cold water and pulse until the dough holds together. Don’t over process it. Your pastry dough won’t flake if you do.

Gather the dough together and divide it in half. Form each half into a disc, wrap each separately, tightly, in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. Preferably overnight.

To make the filling:
Combine cornstarch and 1 TBsp of cold water in a sauce pan. Which until smooth. Add the jam and heat over medium until it comes to a boil. Simmer, stirring nonstop for two minutes. Remove it from the heat and set it aside to cool.

Allow your dough to rest outside of the fridge for 10 minutes. Lightly flour a work surface and dust the dough. Roll dough out to about 1/8” thick - large enough to cut into a 9” x 12” rectangle. I don’t always get all of them on the first pass and have to reroll my dough for the second half. Just avoid handling the dough as much as possible. Cut dough into 3x4” pieces.

Place dough pieces on parchment lined baking sheet.

Beat together egg and milk and brush the egg mixture all over the cut pastry pieces. Place 1 TBsp of cooled filling in the center of each pastry piece.

Roll out second pastry disc to the same dimensions. Prick the dough with a fork to create vent holes. Place each vented dough over the filling, press edges together firmly with a fork to seal. Repeat on all poptarts.

Brush the tops of the pockets with remaining egg and milk mixture.

Place the baking sheet with the poptarts in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Preheat over to 350 degrees.

Remove pastries from fridge and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Move the pastries to a wire rack and allow to cool.

Mix icing ingredients in a stand mixer until desired consistency. I typically pour icing into a condiment bottle for better control. You do you as far as icing them. Sprinkle the shit out of those fuckers.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Fuck yeah I can make that without egg wash.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

stripethree wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 pm Fuck yeah I can make that without egg wash.
Fuck yes you can. I have straight up forgotten the egg wash a couple times and recipients were :aintcare: / didn't even notice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Desertbreh wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 am To go from fumbling buffoon to “hey that looks like how they do it on Top Chef!” is pretty easy.

More good stuff from the Blessed Lands Renaissance Man.
:lolol:

:therapist:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Sno wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 pm Homemade poptarts by request in OT

Pastry crust:
1 tsp sugar
6 TBsp shortening
6 TBsp ice cold water

For the filling:
3/4 cup strawberry jam (I use smackers. Jam. Not jelly. You are also welcome to fill them with whatever the F you want. Nutella, cinnamon sugar, etc. go on with your bad self.)
1 TBsp cornstarch
1 TBsp cold water

For the icing:
1 cup Powered sugar
1/2 Milk
2 TBsp Clear corn syrup
1 tspn Lemon juice

These measurements are guesses. I wish I had measurements for this but this is my go to royal icing recipe that I use for everything and I do it by sight and feel now and have lost the original recipe. Mix it until the consistency is not runny. You want the icing to hold it’s shape just a bit but you really can’t fuck this up. We call it a three second pull in the baking world. If you can run a spoon down the middle of the icing in the bowl and still see the line after 3 seconds, you’re good.

To make the dough:
Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cold water and pulse until the dough holds together. Don’t over process it. Your pastry dough won’t flake if you do.

Gather the dough together and divide it in half. Form each half into a disc, wrap each separately, tightly, in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes. Preferably overnight.

To make the filling:
Combine cornstarch and 1 TBsp of cold water in a sauce pan. Which until smooth. Add the jam and heat over medium until it comes to a boil. Simmer, stirring nonstop for two minutes. Remove it from the heat and set it aside to cool.

Allow your dough to rest outside of the fridge for 10 minutes. Lightly flour a work surface and dust the dough. Roll dough out to about 1/8” thick - large enough to cut into a 9” x 12” rectangle. I don’t always get all of them on the first pass and have to reroll my dough for the second half. Just avoid handling the dough as much as possible. Cut dough into 3x4” pieces.

Beat together egg and milk and brush the egg mixture all over the cut pastry pieces. Place 1 TBsp of cooled filling in the center of each pastry piece.

Roll out second pastry disc to the same dimensions. Prick the dough with a fork to create vent holes. Place each vented dough over the filling, press edges together firmly with a fork to seal. Repeat on all poptarts.

Remove pastries from fridge and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Mix icing ingredients in a stand mixer until desired consistency. I typically pour icing into a condiment bottle for better control. You do you as far as icing them. Sprinkle the shit out of those fuckers.

Enjoy.

:drool:

Might try these this weekend. Thanks for posting Sno! :wub:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Pastry crust:
1 tsp sugar
6 TBsp shortening
6 TBsp ice cold water

For the filling:
1 TBsp cornstarch
1 TBsp cold water

For the icing:
1 cup Powered sugar
1/2 Milk
2 TBsp Clear corn syrup
1 tspn Lemon juice

To make the dough:

To make the filling:

Enjoy.

On a scale of 1 to 10 rate these vs. in the box Pop Tarts....
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am

Pastry crust:
1 tsp sugar
6 TBsp shortening
6 TBsp ice cold water

For the filling:
1 TBsp cornstarch
1 TBsp cold water

For the icing:
1 cup Powered sugar
1/2 Milk
2 TBsp Clear corn syrup
1 tspn Lemon juice

To make the dough:

To make the filling:

Enjoy.

Is dat a real question?

Like, a 27?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I have not had real pop tarts in many years, however these are like, way better.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sno wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Is dat a real question?

Like, a 27?
Don't take it personally... box pop tarts can....not suck? They have too many preservatives, etc. etc., but with a 27 you're basically promising Nirvana.