The Bookworm thread aka whatcha reading

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

This thread is for those of us that like to read thing. Fiction, non fiction, mags, whatever.

Post up some good reads, post reviews and recommendations, and whatever else.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:crickets:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

i tend to try and read a fiction and nonfiction book in alternating fashion, but right now i'm kinda going two at a time.

Working my way through the Star Trek: Stargazer series that chronicles the first command of

They are entertaining and easy reads.

Just finished a book called Tribe

https://www.amazon.com/Tribe-Homecoming ... 1455566381

It was very good, pretty short easy read as well. Very informative and offers great insight in human culture.

Up next is The Case Against Sugar from Gary Taubes.
https://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Sug ... inst+sugar
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

If you like intelligent, detail-filled sci-fi, this is pretty :notbad:
https://www.amazon.com/Honor-You-Call-M ... B00DQUKZMY
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

I'm also reading this, an easy and quite interesting read on the making of the Oxford English Dictionary. I'm surprisingly hooked.

https://www.amazon.com/Professor-Madman ... dictionary
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

I just got done with Handmaid's Tale. Wanted to read it after watching the Hulu series. I was impressed at how authentic the show was to the book and appreciated the additional plot meat.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

I enjoy reading, mainly fiction/fantasy type books.

Some of my favorites are:

The Chronicles of Narnia books
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit
Harry Potter
The Mists of Avalon
The Redwall series

Those are the ones that I can go back and re-read over and over, and never get bored with them.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I can count the amount of books I've read from start to finish on one hand, and I think this is the 5th. My A.D.D. doesn't really allow me to read much other than technical info/articles as I just can't make it through much without my mind drifting off and losing track of what's on the page.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wap wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 am If you like intelligent, detail-filled sci-fi, this is pretty :notbad:
:notbad: might have to check it out. i do have like 150 star trek books to work through though...
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:10 am Image

I can count the amount of books I've read from start to finish on one hand, and I think this is the 5th. My A.D.D. doesn't really allow me to read much other than technical info/articles as I just can't make it through much without my mind drifting off and losing track of what's on the page.
that guy had a good website back in the day.
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 am
wap wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 am If you like intelligent, detail-filled sci-fi, this is pretty :notbad:
:notbad: might have to check it out. i do have like 150 star trek books to work through though...
This one is pretty much all character development and interesting tech detail all within the the overall storyline of a desperate war between a human-lead inter-galactic alliance and an invading species. Really well done. It's the first of a 3 part series, iirc.

I think you'd like it, from what I know about you.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I remember reading Eragon back in middle school and falling in love with it. I got the entire Inherticance series for $32 on Amazon and I'm beginning to read it again. :notbad:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 am I enjoy reading, mainly fiction/fantasy type books.

Harry Potter
The Mists of Avalon
The Redwall series

Those are the ones that I can go back and re-read over and over, and never get bored with them.
I'm right here too, but I haven't heard fo the last two you posted. I'll check them out for sure!
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 pm I remember reading Eragon back in middle school and falling in love with it. I got the entire Inherticance series for $32 on Amazon and I'm beginning to read it again. :notbad:
Eragon was decent, but the dude definitely borrows very heavily from Tolkein. Not a bad thing, I enjoyed the books as well, although I never finished the last one. I got kinda annoyed that what was supposed to be a trilogy got a 4th book added.
wap

If you like historical fiction, one of the best in the business is Bernard Cornwell. He wrote the Last Kingdom series about the Viking invasions of England that the Last Kindom series (now on Netflix) is based on. But he has series that take place during the 100 Years War, The Peninnsular Wars (The Sharp series), King Arthur times, the American Civil War (Starbuck series), and others. He writes awesome battle scenes. George RR Martin himself, a friend of Cornwell's, says Cornwell writes the best battle scenes.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Another good historical fiction book is Devil in the White City, also coming to a movie screen near you with Leo as Holmes.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:42 pm I remember reading Eragon back in middle school and falling in love with it. I got the entire Inherticance series for $32 on Amazon and I'm beginning to read it again. :notbad:
Eragon series is :notbad:

I also enjoyed the first few books in the Temeraire series if you want something with more dragons.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:05 pm Another good historical fiction book is Devil in the White City, also coming to a movie screen near you with Leo as Holmes.
:word:
Yeah that was a great book.
Been looking forward to that movie for a while.
razr390

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:46 pm
Eragon was decent, but the dude definitely borrows very heavily from Tolkein. Not a bad thing, I enjoyed the books as well, although I never finished the last one. I got kinda annoyed that what was supposed to be a trilogy got a 4th book added.
:dat: but I did enjoy it. At some point post of the sci-fi/fantasy fiction stuff all has roots in something that came before it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:25 pm
Eragon series is :notbad:

I also enjoyed the first few books in the Temeraire series if you want something with more dragons.
:dat:

It is genuinely 4/7
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:44 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 am I enjoy reading, mainly fiction/fantasy type books.

Harry Potter
The Mists of Avalon
The Redwall series

I'm right here too, but I haven't heard fo the last two you posted. I'll check them out for sure!
The Mists of Avalon is a very interesting take on the whole King Arthur story, and his told from the perspective of the women in his life. Found it in high school, and have read the damn thing 10 times since then. It's one of series from Marion Zimmer Bradley, all told from the woman's perspective IIRC. And they're fascinating.

The Redwall series is a series about forest creatures that live in a Midevil-ish type society, and they have human characteristics.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

wap wrote:If you like intelligent, detail-filled sci-fi, this is pretty :notbad:
Have you read The Reality Dysfunction?

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
wap

Calvinball wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:56 pm
wap wrote:If you like intelligent, detail-filled sci-fi, this is pretty :notbad:
Have you read The Reality Dysfunction?

Negative. Should I?
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:56 pm Have you read The Reality Dysfunction?

Negative. Should I?
Yes. Based on that post.

:therapist:
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:05 pm Another good historical fiction book is Devil in the White City, also coming to a movie screen near you with Leo as Holmes.
Seconding this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.