Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

correct thread:
dubshow wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:01 pm Brewed some.beer with :fax: today

Waxer stove and structural pot filler was boss.

I'm attempting to hop up an Amber kit. Around 1.05 OG. Shooting for 5.5% abv. The hop profile is hoping to mimic lagunitas maximus.

Fax brewed up his special chocolate peanut butter Porter. It smells fantastic. He got super :rage: when the potfiller to quick connect hose to chiller coil leaked.

He pulled the fax on me about his knowledge and thought his brew was rekt. I tried to comfort him that 3 minutes off boil before full chill wasn't the end of world.

Time will tell if we brewed something worth a shit.

I also inherited about $800 of expensive brew gear from rayray. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Woops. I didn't know this was a thread.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

chocolate peanut butter porter smell good.

Belgian pale ale in process.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:34 pm chocolate peanut butter porter smell good.

Belgian pale ale in process.
wtfff. no call?

I also have 2 liters for you
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Snowed in since about 6 enjoying the fruits of my labor.

so, report on the two home brewz. The chocolate peanutbutter porter is :fuckyeah: delicious.

The Belgian Pale ale is :fuckyeah: :jimp: delicious. Not so pale (as pictured) but :aintcare: its 5/7.

Only thing that sucks is all this beer I have to drink will make a nigga fat. :(
brain go brrrrrr
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 pm Snowed in since about 6 enjoying the fruits of my labor.

so, report on the two home brewz. The chocolate peanutbutter porter is :fuckyeah: delicious.

The Belgian Pale ale is :fuckyeah: :jimp: delicious. Not so pale (as pictured) but :aintcare: its 5/7.

Only thing that sucks is all this beer I have to drink will make a nigga fat. :(
Can verify, chocolate peanut butter porter was 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Sno wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 pm Snowed in since about 6 enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Can verify, chocolate peanut butter porter was 5/7.
YASSSS

It also was even better than you tasted after having time to rest with the carbonation.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

The Belgian pale ale tapped out last night. Diet time is now approaching!
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

my agave amber will be ready to move/carb this weekend. Fairly excited about that. New taps are ordered. Buying kegerator freezer soon. $178 new at lowes. +30$ in wood and hinges.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

agave amber came out super boozy. Very curious on the percentage. Will test it after it chills. did 14 day primary. Decided to leave it in the cornical keg. The yeast were very active on this one. LOTS came out. I brewed about 6 gal and after dump it has a little over 5 gal left in keg.

I got my temp controller onthe chest freezer working well. The wood collar to offet the top and put taps is drying after stain. Will fab up tomorrow with taps. Also will need to anchor it to the freezer.

Crashing the agave amber at 33 deg. Im hoping it will mellow out. Have a killer new age IPA kit with a YUGE selection of hops to add AFTER the boil during the "whirl pool". Essential hold it at ~145-155 after main boil and stir in lots of hops at different times.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

dubshow wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:21 pm agave amber came out super boozy. Very curious on the percentage. Will test it after it chills. did 14 day primary. Decided to leave it in the cornical keg. The yeast were very active on this one. LOTS came out. I brewed about 6 gal and after dump it has a little over 5 gal left in keg.

I got my temp controller onthe chest freezer working well. The wood collar to offet the top and put taps is drying after stain. Will fab up tomorrow with taps. Also will need to anchor it to the freezer.

Crashing the agave amber at 33 deg. Im hoping it will mellow out. Have a killer new age IPA kit with a YUGE selection of hops to add AFTER the boil during the "whirl pool". Essential hold it at ~145-155 after main boil and stir in lots of hops at different times.
What was the starting gravityon the Amber and kind of yeast?

Also freezer setup sounds like mine :megusta:

Interested to see how the IPA turns out. I started expirementing heavily with IPAs before I lost interest in brewing. Basically a bettering small hop edition early in boil, then tons of hops in the last 5-10 minutes at various intervals. Then usually dry hopping in 2ndary.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I was in a hurry and didnt bother both with the OG. Will have FG and content from my tester. yeah yeah, dumb move. I was brewing with my dad and thing were getting tense.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:23 am I was in a hurry and didnt bother both with the OG. Will have FG and content from my tester. yeah yeah, dumb move. I was brewing with my dad and thing were getting tense.
:word:

Are you using any apps / calculators for your recipes? Or just using whatever comes in the kit?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 am
dubshow wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:23 am I was in a hurry and didnt bother both with the OG. Will have FG and content from my tester. yeah yeah, dumb move. I was brewing with my dad and thing were getting tense.

Are you using any apps / calculators for your recipes? Or just using whatever comes in the kit?
play with a few online calcs.

Basically this amber kit should work out to a 5.5% ABV OG 1.050. I added 32oz of Agave. That should put it someone between 1.055-1.060 OG. I think it was a little of this and that. I had my steep too hot at around 167 degrees. I got it cooled down to 162-165. for about 30 mins. That likely blew past the simple sugar extraction from grain.

The agave likely compensated for the lack of grain sugar extraction. Then there was teh kit syrup which I used the hot wort to get nearly all out the bag. SO when I measured final this morning it was right at 1.000-1.010 @ about 40 degreee. Should have been taken at 68, i know. I need to get more accurate.

SOOO all that said my best guess it it hit the 6.5-7% mark with where the OG should have been and what the FG is. What was odd was on the hydrometer it has ABV marked out. Its made for beer and wines. The ABV when measured at ~40 deg was 4%. Thats what threw me off. But there is no way this came out that low cause the yeast where busting ass and it was fairly aggressive bubbling for 6-7 days. My last beer only bubbled about 4 days.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:dubshow: the master homebrewer, :notbad:

I like it
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:28 pm
4zilch wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 am

play with a few online calcs.

Basically this amber kit should work out to a 5.5% ABV OG 1.050. I added 32oz of Agave. That should put it someone between 1.055-1.060 OG. I think it was a little of this and that. I had my steep too hot at around 167 degrees. I got it cooled down to 162-165. for about 30 mins. That likely blew past the simple sugar extraction from grain.

The agave likely compensated for the lack of grain sugar extraction. Then there was teh kit syrup which I used the hot wort to get nearly all out the bag. SO when I measured final this morning it was right at 1.000-1.010 @ about 40 degreee. Should have been taken at 68, i know. I need to get more accurate.

SOOO all that said my best guess it it hit the 6.5-7% mark with where the OG should have been and what the FG is. What was odd was on the hydrometer it has ABV marked out. Its made for beer and wines. The ABV when measured at ~40 deg was 4%. Thats what threw me off. But there is no way this came out that low cause the yeast where busting ass and it was fairly aggressive bubbling for 6-7 days. My last beer only bubbled about 4 days.
IIRC, you don't get a ton of sugar extraction when doing extract brews - there's just not enough grain there to offer much and generally the grain mixes are more for color and flavor - IE the grains for color/flavor are roasted beyond the point where ferment-able sugars are available for extract. Temperature is still important, because the sugars you do extract will add to the body and flavor.

There's a calculator somewhere on the Internets that compensates for temperature when measure FG. I don't recall it being that big of difference between say 40*F and 68*F.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

all good info. I'll post some pics of the final chest rig. I foamed it up last night and its much happier. Without foam at collar, it was really struggling to get temps into the 40s. I have one small air gap to address with correct trim. Making 1 more homesdepot stop and returning some extra crap I got. Im going to make a spread sheet of all items in the chest rig for 2 taps. I have a gut feeling its right around $450.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

freezer 200
temp controller 35
2 taps 50
1/4" tubing 5
clamps 4
2x6 board 8
stain 10
caulk 5
seal trim 12
ball locks 10
screws 15
foam board 12

Fridge alone setup: $366

gas 10lb 110
2 way regulator 90

Total: $566 w/ gas. + $150 (x2) for 2 blichmann kegs.

:thatescalatedquickly:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

you can scrooge on the regulator a bit and amazon china one for about $40. I havent found a cheap place to buy the co2 cylinder for under $70. Freezer can sometimes be found on sale for around $180. So there could be some dollars saved. Im happy with mine for now until I find a way to improve it. I'll likely add an opener and a beer drip tray.

The amber gonna be served tonight I think. If I feel frisky one day after work I will start up the IPA.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 am freezer 200
temp controller 35
2 taps 50
1/4" tubing 5
clamps 4
2x6 board 8
stain 10
caulk 5
seal trim 12
ball locks 10
screws 15
foam board 12

gas 10lb 110
2 way regulator 90

:waxer: kegs

I use poverty spec used soda kegs.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 am you can scrooge on the regulator a bit and amazon china one for about $40. I havent found a cheap place to buy the co2 cylinder for under $70. Freezer can sometimes be found on sale for around $180. So there could be some dollars saved. Im happy with mine for now until I find a way to improve it. I'll likely add an opener and a beer drip tray.

The amber gonna be served tonight I think. If I feel frisky one day after work I will start up the IPA.
FWIW, my experience with Chinese regulators has been poor. YMMV
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 am freezer 200
temp controller 35
2 taps 50
1/4" tubing 5
clamps 4
2x6 board 8
stain 10
caulk 5
seal trim 12
ball locks 10
screws 15
foam board 12

gas 10lb 110
2 way regulator 90

:impressive: anti- :scrooge:
brain go brrrrrr
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

As someone who is interested in getting into home brewing after visiting a small brewery on our mini vacation over the weekend, what sort of monetary, space, and time commitments would I be looking at? Do I need extra ventilation, etc?

I'd likely set it up in our unfinished basement since we don't have any major plans for down there other than my gym, at the moment. My parents have a kit that I can have. My mom got it for my dad several years back before he was diagnosed with Celiac's. Is it ignorant of me to assume this would limit my monetary costs, at least initially?
The panda hath arrived.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Jaxper wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:30 am As someone who is interested in getting into home brewing after visiting a small brewery on our mini vacation over the weekend, what sort of monetary, space, and time commitments would I be looking at? Do I need extra ventilation, etc?

I'd likely set it up in our unfinished basement since we don't have any major plans for down there other than my gym, at the moment. My parents have a kit that I can have. My mom got it for my dad several years back before he was diagnosed with Celiac's. Is it ignorant of me to assume this would limit my monetary costs, at least initially?
1. 1st kit is about 150 bucks. OR DANG, MIDWEST AND THAT LOSS LEADER : https://www.midwestsupplies.com/platinu ... tarter-kit
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/simply- ... tarter-kit
I'd still try to find a good local spot for ingredients and yeast.
To get a nice easy thing going, expect to spend another 150-200 over the course of a year.
2. not much, 2 7 gallon buckets to start.
3. one month brew to drink if bottling. 3-4 hours on brew day, a half hour a week later, hour-hour and a half a week after that.

Toss that kit unless it comes with equipment. And then only keep it if its legit stuff like the above. Your typical BB&B "make your beer kit" is garbage.

other questions?
brain go brrrrrr