TK's Constantinople Taj Mahal Quarter

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Translation to le title, my (well poppa and momma duh) peasant housing.

Here's the backstory. About 2 years before I moved to Murica, we moved there. Before then, long ago I have told multiple times that my grandparents were :waxer: and this house (well a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment) was bought in the 1970's by my great aunt outright and it has belonged within our family circle ever since. Went from personal ownership to a rental property, then our ownership, then my grandmother lived there while I was in middle/high school, who also came to stay in Murica annually for 4-5 months growing up as an ungrateful teen. Given the negligent maintenance due to not being around to stay that much, a few things gradually began falling apart. Basically we never sold this house, and I have never recalled mentioning this on here.

Details: Built in 1950's, huge living room (for an apartment/hell just as big as one of my friends studio in DC). 2 balconies, 3 bedroom, 2 bath (one used for storage with no shower). Has withstood multiple 7.0+ earthquakes with flying colors as earthquakes are common hazards in Northern Turkey and buildings have strict regulations due to it. Located in the Asia part of Istanbul, high middle class/partially :waxer: area, most tourists who been to Istanbul has NEVER knew about that area, think of it like Hamptons to NY.

Why? If some people put haus threads, well why not? Also self-quarantine struggles are real. Currently staying there right now thanks to covid, it's been a few years since I at least spent a few nights there.

This thread will take time as within the coming months or up to 1.5 years, this suite will be in full restoration sometime possibly in the summer if of course Covid would be donezo by then. For now, I'll just post the pics of it's current state and explain what improvements we have done so far.

1). with the current visit, we changed bathroom seals, changed heater (old school type right by the window), bathroom seals, changed all the burned out bulbs, bought new oven, and some sort of broiler for warm water (doesn't exist in Murica) basically you need to turn that on to operate hot water (similar to karate kid in China where Jackie Chan uses a switch to turn on hot water). Few appliances like a new tv, etc. Kitchen appliances still held up pretty well considering they're 35ish years old (dishwasher, fridge) as they were all transferred from the previous apartment

2) change all the windows as most are original, In Turkey (and to an extent, Europe), older house have thinner glass and their "seals" tend to expand due to older materials, literally one easy punch can break them. One window is broken, but all windows have shutters, so we covered with plastic wrap and used shutters to close so it won't be visible form outside. Tear the wall between kitchen/dining room/living room, make a huge window, bar like area. Rest is new paint, 100% bathroom and kitchen remodel, change hardwood floors completely, new paint and that's about it.

Will provide pics on the current state next post below, because Tapatalk
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

You can see the beams in there. Typically if this happens in a murican home, you'll get leaks thanks to wooden frame built, and sanded "walls".

Google streetview on the outside, despite being 70 years old, outside has been renovated sometime in the 90's I think
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:popcorn:
:excited: to follow this thread.
Reminds me a bit of my late uncle's apartment in Athens, though his was in much better condition, lol.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:waxer: :notbad:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That mold on the ceiling is concerning, but the rest of it deserves fixing. A 3 bd/2 bath/balcony setup is pretty rad! That would be a million+ bucks in Toronto area.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote:That mold on the ceiling is concerning, but the rest of it deserves fixing. A 3 bd/2 bath/balcony setup is pretty rad! That would be a million+ bucks in Toronto area.
My thoughts exactly on that too. It's been like that for atleast a few years and we never had any issues like leaking and so on due to it. It was also alarming for me as well.

Regular murican like houses in Turkey is pretty rare. The real :waxer: apartments actually get a 2 floor suites with 7 rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote::waxer: :notbad:
Rent here is like $800 for this place too. Which you'll never find in DC area unless you wanna live with :mahtroy: or rundown tiny studios in dupont circle.

Also :mahtroy: parts of the city rent gets you like $100-200

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:14 am
D Griff wrote::waxer: :notbad:
Rent here is like $800 for this place too. Which you'll never find in DC area unless you wanna live with :mahtroy: or rundown tiny studios in dupont circle.

Also :mahtroy: parts of the city rent gets you like $100-200

:notbad:

We were paying close to $1400 for a one bedroom in Charlotte :disgust:

At least now the $1700 mortgage isn't "pissing money away" :wasteful: