Fax's haus: Brad Goes Orange, go Vols?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Moved in.

I'm home.

edit: since the [at the time of this edit at least 15 month] saga got nuked with dfd 1.0, along with all the pics... below is the saga I was able to recover from the way back machine, with me trying to fill in the gaps. Below that are the construction progress pics.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:03am
Cliffs on my housing situation with wife.

Boy meets girl, both have houses, both have very different housing priorities. Girls house is nice with big yard (yuk) in the sticks, no garage. My house is a bit older, small yard, close to city.

My priorities: I hate commuting, i hate being in the sticks 20 minutes from a fucking store, I REQUIRE a garage that is 100% MY SPACE. I like vaulted ceilings as a plus

Her priorities, or the ones i can quantify: wants to be close(er) to family in the sticks, open floorplan, 2k square feets, 4 bedroom or 3 with an office/craft nook, wants a pool bad.

Compromises: On area...we are pretty close. I have very few fucks about interior design. I'd rather buy one with a pool vs install one later and piss that money away. (wife wants pool bad)

Wifes house
even on 4-5% 30 year fixed, you looking at like 220-300 a month (220 being at the start, 300 @year 6 going to principle on a 1200 note (for 190k in this example).
Even if (that) house gained 3% a year, your only keeping pace with inflation. Its gained...virtually nothing in 5 years. flat.
thats 72k into that fucker, not including the fucking ac and hot water heater.
IF we could sell if for what it was bought for (prob could +5k or so) thats 19-24k in equity in 5 years. (for reference, these #'s come off the wifes house, in a 'desirable' area, modern shit, good skoolz, other shit people look for in houses.)
67% loss. better than all of it, but its just a big wooden box with a shitty negative interest rate. Oh and that is before any repairs, closing costs, or agent fees if we sold that house. Not to mention the massive risk one assumes when you take up 'home ownership'

my house
Us mere mortals ....i bought a 140k house and will be daym lucky to sell a 140k house. I refied to a fifteen year

there almost 8 years, prob about 9 when i sell, will be at about 100k owed.

If i have to pay commission...
3-4k closing
5600 commission
and another 1k-2k of bs fixer upper shit buyers request and a home warranty....
my 40k profit is suddenly 30k

and about that.
been paying close enough to what not 1200 a month for 8 years to "make" 30k
1200*12*8 = one hundred and mother fucking fifteen thousand -two hundred dollars for the privilage to occupy "my" domicile
does not include new roof deductible
does not include painting
roof repairs
etc.

Now...30k is better than zero k

but owing a fucking house aint all its cracked up to be. its not a dream. its a mother fucking pain in the ass that if your lucky keeps your from loosing ALL your goddaym money.

bradsfeelsonhousing.txt for reference
add up your payment over 5-15 years (not the mortgague....payment=cost to live in house) and then look at what you could sell for. take inflation into account. you WILL loose money. if your accounting depreciation....lolz. better add in upkeep then.

now if you think of it as an investment you may come out with more money in the end....but almost certainly still less than you put in. And home renovations that do not add square footage simple do not add value to the house.

if your talking short term shit that is a bit of luck, but its like investing in the stock market.....you will prob make money over the short or long but you might be stuck with it for a long time or loose it all.

look i might be wrong, pessimistic, and asshole, or all three. You do you. if it works for you then i'm happy for you. I just dont give a fuck about the house. Its a time suck and a money suck. I tolerate the situation because i have to live somewhere and its the system we are stuck with or now.

owning a home has advantages too, but IMHO never kid yourself that you will make money. in terms of constant dollars.....you will ALWAYS loose ass on a house. Maybe if you stayed there like 50 years and had a bit of land with it you wouldn't. But unlike rent, you recover some of that money (usually). Downside is you have are responsible to fix all the shit. and you hare stuck for a few years at least....or you WILL loose ass on the house.

So, if your still reading.

As of saturday, we were going to move back to her house for 3 years or so and then sell both and buy.
As of last night, after seeing with her eyes there is nice shit in the city that is close to the things, we are at least going to try and sell both when renters lease is up and buy in the city.

Oh, and if we find something we can afford, er, can afford on my budget, by just selling my house we may try to do that.

going to look at one of these today.
http://www.fsbobr.com/default.asp?f=lis ... tingtype=1

so feel free to comment on my shit

1/14/2016 update:
moving back to her house in the prarrieville.

1/25/16 update:
looking at new construction houses, not moving back to her house. She says the traffic was too bad :mindblown:

2/4/16 update:
:sad: cant afford custom home most likely, will look at new and gently used stuff and get back into the 220's price range. And my wife thinks im an evil prick.

2/9/16
found a lot with lower square foot min, and for a lower price, so custom home is back on the table. Builder is putting in offer on lot.

3/7/16
at some point offer on lot was accepted, we have a floor plan, listed my house for sale (and is potentially sold as of this writing.)

3/28/16
moved into Prairieville house. Closing on stoney creek is april 1st.

5/31/16
Prairieville house rehabbed at a cost of about 6 grand, and lots and lots and lots of hard work. 4k for floors, 1700 for paint, 500+ for plumber.....lots of little odds and ends....what evar.
we did it all in about a month, got it listed end of April, were under contract for full price -2500 to close in a week. Closing on June 6th. as of this writing it looks like we will make that date, so :fuckyeah: for not having to pay that extra house payment. Just a few odds and ends to go get, the Z4 and a picture frame thing.
We found a duplex to rent for 895 a month on a 6 month lease. Its not the best, but it will do. It has a washer and drier AND a dishwasher....so :notbad:

OH, and they have been building out house for about 3 weeks now. As of this writing its framed without the roof.

6/3/16
closing delayed till the 10th
:rage:

6/11/16
Closed on the 10th. money in bank. Met with finance guy and he said we should probably be able to do a no PMI loan @15% down payment, which we got no worries :fuckyeah:

7/27/16
If house apprises for what it cost to build we should have 20% down. :fuckyeah:
been adding pics to thread of construction progress

^ that was the last crawler grab from way back machine.

In August cost started to really catch up to us.

In early september we locked the rate @3.5%, projected close date of sept 30. We decided to draw on our retirment funds to pay off all the stupid house debt. It was either 20% down and have ~15k of stupid house debt hanging out there, or 15% and pay PMI , which i have a philosophical problem with AND was concerned about appraisals anf future value. FYI PMI terms have goten REALLY REALLY SHITTY in post recession loans. Basically, they can screw you if they want if average house values fall AT ALL.

Meanwhile, 1st close date came and went. Then the second. Then the rate lock expired. other people paid this, but whatever, at the time we didn't know and it was a huge stressor. I think we finally closed ~October 27, moved in in earnest weekend of November 4th.

Our Landloard didnt charge us November rent; he prorated it. Very much a :fuckyeah: moment, almost a 1k windfall that felt awesome.

so, i think thats all. I might update as I recall more.

Last edited by goIftdibrad on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:55 am, edited 12 times in total.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: :poop:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Is that a bidet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Not sure what I'm looking at.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote:
Detroit wrote:Not sure what I'm looking at.
He pooped in his new house it's officially his

Sent from :[user not found]: and :alpo:
That's a poop?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

rockchops wrote:Is that a bidet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
:fuckyeah:
Sent
[user not found] wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:Moved in.

I'm home.
You win

:megusta:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

:notsure:
Apex

[user not found] wrote:
Detroit wrote: That's a poop?
A modest one.

I didn't even see the :poop: originally.
Apex

[user not found] wrote:
Apex wrote:
I didn't even see the :poop: originally.
He needs more fiber

Have to stay regular.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Gotta eat big to poop big.

Sent from the beer depository
:therapist:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Calvinball wrote:Gotta eat big to poop big.

Sent from the beer depository
Such wise

:dedong:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote:Moved in.

I'm home.
Been there, done that.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Hansgustaf
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: SdKfz 181

A modest dump

:lolol:
my name is yan but i go by igor and i live under teh stairs
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Welp, all moved in, all thats left now is the unpacking.

Took the fancy mx5 to work.
had 24 minutes to drink my coffee. Not the best commute, but could be a lot worse.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:whalecum: home!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Big Brain Bradley wrote:Welp, all moved in, all thats left now is the unpacking.

had 24 minutes to drink my coffee. Not the best commute, but could be a lot worse.
It should be said, it was super sweet of you to buy Kellie a house for her birthday.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Sno wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:Welp, all moved in, all thats left now is the unpacking.

It should be said, it was super sweet of you to buy Kellie a house for her birthday.
:lol: , you tell her that.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Lots of little shit to do still, including proper wiring of the undercabinet lighting. It is improperly grounded and the switches have live 120 on them. Got a little bite yesterday :zing:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

In other news, we are virtually debt free as of today. Car is paid off. Credit card is down to under 1 month revolving shit. HD card that is interest free not paid off, but the money is in the bank, with extra to spare.

So screw the election results, TODAY IS A GOOD DAY

brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

You bought that house with cash? :impressive:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote:You bought that house with cash? :impressive:
ok, debt free minus the house and the BMW. BMW = brads fun car fund ie money i would have spent anyway.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
ok, debt free minus the house and the BMW. BMW = brads fun car fund ie money i would have spent anyway.
Debt free except for $300k in debt Imageol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote:
So... debt free, aside from... the mortgage.
yes. But unlike standard american finances, I view that like a 'monthly living expense black hole' and not debt or an investment.

Still a really good place to be IMHO
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Debt free except for $300k in debt Imageol:
only 250k :mahtroy:
brain go brrrrrr