Lawn and Landscaping

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Bringing this back from the dead with a :lolol: from above and a question.

So my lawn has gone full :triggered: this year. Looks really nice, but needs constant mowing. :rolleyes:

I bought a Fiskars reel mower last year used, which works fine if I cut the grass every other day. Otherwise the grass gets too long and it just bends it over. Sick of that shit.

So I'm debating a powered mower, and in :mindblown: fashion thinking about moving away from our lady of internal combustion. Seem like lithium ion battery powered yard tools are getting pretty solid.

Anyone have anything they like that's a universal battery system of some sort?

I need both a mower and a string trimmer/edger. Bonus points if the system could extend to a snow blower too (since I'm sick of dealing with my hooptie trash find). Fortunately, I'm not talking about a lot of area, so I don't need anything big, and it doesn't need to run for longer than 30 min tops.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:37 pm Fuck lawns and landscaping. Stupid waste.
Pride of ownershit. I like my house to look nice on the outside.

You should move into an apt.
bump

:lolol:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm
Pride of ownershit. I like my house to look nice on the outside.

You should move into an apt.
bump

Wow. Relevant to recent :triggered: :gaydance: rage quit.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am

bump

Wow. Relevant to recent :triggered: :gaydance: rage quit.
:ohdang: :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 am Bringing this back from the dead with a :lolol: from above and a question.

So my lawn has gone full :triggered: this year. Looks really nice, but needs constant mowing. :rolleyes:

I bought a Fiskars reel mower last year used, which works fine if I cut the grass every other day. Otherwise the grass gets too long and it just bends it over. Sick of that shit.

So I'm debating a powered mower, and in :mindblown: fashion thinking about moving away from our lady of internal combustion. Seem like lithium ion battery powered yard tools are getting pretty solid.

I need both a mower and a string trimmer/edger. Bonus points if the system could extend to a snow blower too (since I'm sick of dealing with my hooptie trash find). Fortunately, I'm not talking about a lot of area, so I don't need anything big, and it doesn't need to run for longer than 30 min tops.
I don't have a battery powered mower, but I do have a Ryobi string trimmer, branch saw, and leaf blower that I use to blow grass clippings off the side walks after mowing/edging, and to dry my mirrors and various crevasses after washing my car. They use the same 18v Li Ion batteries as my Ryobi drill/driver, circular saw, and work light, and have been 5/7 for the past 3-4 years-decent battery life and fairly quick to recharge. I can usually trim and blow after mowing on one battery charge with a bit left over. I'm thinking of picking up a hedge trimmer because my electric Craftsman is over 30 years old and is a bit heavy but it still works so I'm in no rush.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 am Bringing this back from the dead with a :lolol: from above and a question.

I don't have a battery powered mower, but I do have a Ryobi string trimmer, branch saw, and leaf blower that I use to blow grass clippings off the side walks after mowing/edging, and to dry my mirrors and various crevasses after washing my car. They use the same 18v Li Ion batteries as my Ryobi drill/driver, circular saw, and work light, and have been 5/7 for the past 3-4 years-decent battery life and fairly quick to recharge. I can usually trim and blow after mowing on one battery charge with a bit left over. I'm thinking of picking up a hedge trimmer because my electric Craftsman is over 30 years old and is a bit heavy but it still works so I'm in no rush.
:notbad:

I'm very much considering EGO. Can buy mower, string trimmer, and snow blower, all use the same batteries and apparently are 5/7. On sale at Home Depot right now for the weekend, so I think I'll go check them out tonight.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:45 pm

I'm very much considering EGO. Can buy mower, string trimmer, and snow blower, all use the same batteries and apparently are 5/7. On sale at Home Depot right now for the weekend, so I think I'll go check them out tonight.
I'm curious about how this works out. Milwaukee just came out with a trimmer and blower but no mower. They currently have the highest capacity 18v battery iirc. DeWalt has 60v but they aren't in the game either.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:bruh:

leggo mah eggo
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I'm curious about how this works out. Milwaukee just came out with a trimmer and blower but no mower. They currently have the highest capacity 18v battery iirc. DeWalt has 60v but they aren't in the game either.
EGO is 56v and a range of battery sizes. Reviews are insane. They're pricey, but I think the convenience would be worth it. I'm sick of always working on my trash (literally, picked from) yard equipment.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:57 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 pm

EGO is 56v and a range of battery sizes. Reviews are insane. They're pricey, but I think the convenience would be worth it. I'm sick of always working on my trash (literally, picked from) yard equipment.
Warranty? Costco sell them? Then you could try it and return it if it didn't work out
ChrisoftheNorth

5 year warranty. :iono:
wap

In4impressions
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Electric tools are super gay for a card carrying Corvette owner. 441 WHP bruh. And you're going electric.

https://www.snapper.com/na/en_us/produc ... mower.html

Ninja.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:45 pm Electric tools are super gay for a card carrying Corvette owner. 441 WHP bruh. And you're going electric.

Ninja.
:lolol: :notbad:

I'm already a bad Corvette owner since I have a Volt and don't hate it. I also don't like Hooters, so I'm pretty much terrible.

I'm sick of constantly working on lawn equipment that doesn't want to run right when I really need it to. I've blown way too many hours fiddling with the snow blower, lawnmower, etc. Not to mention, with no storage space, I need something that's easy to fold and store.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:05 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:45 pm Electric tools are super gay for a card carrying Corvette owner. 441 WHP bruh. And you're going electric.

Ninja.

I'm already a bad Corvette owner since I have a Volt and don't hate it. I also don't like Hooters, so I'm pretty much terrible.

I'm sick of constantly working on lawn equipment that doesn't want to run right when I really need it to. I've blown way too many hours fiddling with the snow blower, lawnmower, etc. Not to mention, with no storage space, I need something that's easy to fold and store.
Get a small herd of goats to handle your landscaping.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ninja.

A new gas mower, properly maintained (and by that I mean draining the fuel and changing the oil and air filter every once in a while) should last 15 years on your tiny postage stamp lawn if not longer. Stop buying cheap old shit.

That said, I'd be interested in seeing what new lithium ion mowers can do.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Do they make miniature goats?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:20 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Do they make miniature goats?
Dude. Pygmy goats are amazing
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:20 pm

A new gas mower, properly maintained (and by that I mean draining the fuel and changing the oil and air filter every once in a while) should last 15 years on your tiny postage stamp lawn if not longer. Stop buying cheap old shit.

At least.
My brother is the current owner of a hand-me-down Craftsman that's 32 years old and still runs. My Craftsman is 14 years old this year and still starts on the first pull every time. I think I've changed the oil maybe 7 times and plug and air filter about 3 times since I bought it. Oh, and one back wheel, too :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, I don't doubt a new gas mower would be perfectly fine and last a long time. Hell, most of my yard tools are 25+ years old that I've literally pulled from the trash and rebuilt (other than my blower, which is 5 years old and works 5/7). The new Lithium ion mowers can actually fold and hang on the wall, which is :mindblown: for me since storage space is at a premium. Especially if the performance is there, I'd much rather just recharge batteries than make special trips every month to the gas station 20 minutes from my house that sells pure gas.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Oh, I don't doubt a new gas mower would be perfectly fine and last a long time. Hell, most of my yard tools are 25+ years old that I've literally pulled from the trash and rebuilt (other than my blower, which is 5 years old and works 5/7). The new Lithium ion mowers can actually fold and hang on the wall, which is :mindblown: for me since storage space is at a premium. Especially if the performance is there, I'd much rather just recharge batteries than make special trips every month to the gas station 20 minutes from my house that sells pure gas.
:wat: :butwhy:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:34 pm
All gas in Michigan is E10. I had a lot of issues with my gas equipment running like crap, and my dad introduced me to "pure gas" or E0. It's marked as for off road use only here and only a few stations have it. It's the only way I can keep my yard equipment running well reliably, so I don't run anything else.

The nearest station to me is a 20 minute drive and while it used to be on my way home from the office, it's not anymore. Kind of a pain.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:43 pm

All gas in Michigan is E10. I had a lot of issues with my gas equipment running like crap, and my dad introduced me to "pure gas" or E0. It's marked as for off road use only here and only a few stations have it. It's the only way I can keep my yard equipment running well reliably, so I don't run anything else.

The nearest station to me is a 20 minute drive and while it used to be on my way home from the office, it's not anymore. Kind of a pain.
Weird. I've been running my mowers and snow blowers on E10 with zero issues for over 20 years. No choice as there is no E0 available anywhere near me.

I guess it's a price you pay for dumpster diving for lawn equipment? :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Weird. I've been running my mowers and snow blowers on E10 with zero issues for over 20 years. No choice as there is no E0 available anywhere near me.

Really?! My new blower I bought 5 years ago started running like crap last fall. Tough to start, wouldn't idle right, died at WOT, etc. That's when my dad told me about pure gas and I've been running it ever since. Blower runs perfect now. Took a few tanks to get it back on track.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:09 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Really?! My new blower I bought 5 years ago started running like crap last fall. Tough to start, wouldn't idle right, died at WOT, etc. That's when my dad told me about pure gas and I've been running it ever since. Blower runs perfect now. Took a few tanks to get it back on track.
Interesting. Maybe it's a 2-stroke thing? My gas powered tools (mower and blower) are both 4 -stroke. I've never had an issue with either. Now, I also run them both dry at the end of their seasons and never leave any gas in the tanks or carbs. And I leave the gas caps off for a couple of days to make sure any residual fuel evaporates out. :notsure: if that helps or not.