My review so far of AHS (Home warranty)

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Soooooo I typed this whole thing out, realized I just went into way too much detail. So I'm gonna condense it to quick statements. I know it might seem long winded, but it's the context I'm trying to relay.
TL:DR: Got American Home Shield warranty for my Ac, managed to get a new coil and water heater for $125 each, and only came out of pocket for a new compressor ($3K).

Started having ac problems. Call out local company. Low on freon. Fill it up, cost me about $350.
They installed the current ac and had records for it. Coil was new and installed in 1992, condensor was installed in fucking '89!
Get told it's likely gonna needa get replaced so they'll quote it out.

Quote comes in. Coil replacement around $3,500. Condensor + coil is about $6,500.
I decide to start saving cash and seeing how long the freon fill lasts.
Lasts 3-4 months. Tell a friend of mine and he says to call his buddy who's got properties and an AC guy, and has freon cheaper per pound.
Call guy out, fills it with another 2 pounds... Costs me about $100. I think this is great, I can keep doing it on the cheap with this guy and save money in the mean time.
Every 3-4 months I need 2-3 gallons put in.

Different friend who owns his own properties suggests I sign up with American Home Shield for a home warranty. Anytime something goes wrong at his properties, he makes a call, and they come fix it with little drama or hassle. He thinks they'll eventually come and replace the whole damn thing and cover it. I think it's too good to be true, but it's relatively cheap so I decide to take the chance.

I sign up, 1 month until you can make a claim. I get the combo plan, which covers EVERYTHING UNDER THE FUCKING SUN. Ac unit, washer, dryer, oven, microwave, garage door opener, water heater, electrical, plumbing..... DOOR BELL. :wtf:
I pay about $60/month, and the service fee is $125. You can get a service fee of $75 or $100, but your monthly price goes up. I opted for the higher priced one since I can always manage to swing a Benji and a Jackson.
The idea with the warranty is that my Ac currently works. So I'm just going to call them up for a service call when it struggles to work again, and develop a paper trail to where they're like... "Oh this isn't fixing it, we should just replace it". The service doesn't cover freon, so I'm gonna have to front the cost of the freon fill when they do top it off.

Couple months into my plan, ac struggles. Fill out the online form. $125 fee. 3rd party company comes out and looks at it. Low on freon, gets filled up. Costs me about $300. More than I want to spend since I know I can get freon cheaper from guy #1, but I need this for my paper trail.
Ac works great for the time being.
Couple of weeks goes by, water heater starts to blast out water. Fill out a thing online, pay the $125, 3rd party plumber gets assigned the job and is supposed to get back with me to set up an appointment. 4 days go by with me trying to get in touch with this cat and nothing. I finally get another company out.
Dude looks at it "Yup, that's a leak. Let me call AHS and let em know and then we'll replace it." :fuckyeah:
Makes call, comes back with "Ok we're ordering it and will install it tomorrow".
Comes back next day and BAM. INSTALLED. No charges or anything. "Here's your paperwork, call us if there's any issues and AHS will handle it"

Couple weeks later the ac struggles again.
I fill out another service call thinking I'd have to pay the $125 again but it's actually waved due to being within 90 days of the original service call.
Tech comes out (after it's scheduled). "Your coil is bad, AHS will cover that with a new one. The down side is the compressor isn't compatible with the new coil, so you'll need to replace it out of pocket".
I've been saving up, so this wasn't a big deal. The compressor was $3K and I'd saved $5K at the time.... and was planning on having to spend upwards of $7K. So $3K is a dream to me if it covers virtually a whole new ac.

4 days wait for the appointment and for the coil/condensor to come in. HOT FUCKING DAYS that I'm sure you guys are aware of from my previous posts.
I get a call from AHS saying that I'm going to have to pay an extra $400 for duct work that needs to be done for the new coil. I say sure, fine... since I'm still way below my original pricing. Turns out I'm never actually charged for this work so :fuckyeah:

A few days later, the ac company calls to schedule a code check with the city.
City guy comes in, finds 4 issues.
1) fuses are too big for the coil we installed
2) coil drain line needs to be insulated
3) Heater venting needs to have a 1" clearance all the way around where it exits the roof
4) heater vent needs to be updated (they don't allow that previous style anymore)
Items 2-4 had nothing to do with the AC company because all he did was remove and replace the coil. The insulated drain was actually caught by the home inspector before I bought the house 4 years ago, so it really isn't in their scope to fix it.
Ac company schedules a date to come in and make the changes. Guy comes in, does the work, says there's nothing to pay and AHS covers that
:fuckyeah: :scrooge: :fuckyeah: :scrooge: :fuckyeah:

So overall, total yearly of what I'm spending/spent.
12 months of AHS coverage @ $60/mo: $720
New water heater: $125
New Compressor: $3,000
New Coil: $125

So basically I've spent about $3,970 for a whole new ac unit and a new water heater that I estimate was worth about $400-500.
These 3rd parties could give a fuck less about ripping you off because they get paid by the job. The down side to this is you might occasionally get shitty work done, but if it was more than a simple "Remove and Replace" job you can bet your ass that I'm going to bitch if things aren't 100%. The plumber that I got assigned to has bad Google reviews about not getting back with customers. I gave that dude multiple chances but he didn't even attempt to get in touch with me until the day that I called AHS directly and requested someone else. So you're still dealing with local companies and some of them may be small operations. But my AC guy was great and was straight up with what AHS would cover. I tried to get them to cover the compressor outside since I was required to change it to match the new R410 freon but they said it was basically an upgrade. I could of gotten an adapter or some shit for it but then I'd have to pay for about 10 gallons of freon which would of cost me nearly $750. Getting a new compressor CAME with the freon so it's included in the cost so it was a no brainer to just do it. Plus the damn thing was almost 30 years old.

So yeah, this is my long winded rant. And this is the short version. Just to let you guys know what happened with the whole Ac thing and me being :scrooge:
It's basically paid off so far. I'm curious if my oven will go out soon. That would be awesome.
Last edited by Acid666 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I'll take this over kid talk.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

I would post a TL;DR gif, but i actually read it all.

cool story bro, glad it worked for you.

FWIW, building codes are not retroactive, IE just because they require x now, a house that was built before X was required is not in violation of code.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

The 30,000 foot view is this:
This home warranty is the fucking tits. Getting a service call done is RETARDED easy. Just go online, click "AIR CONDITIONER", Accept... then BAM. Pay the fee.
Within 24 hours a company will call to set up an appointment.
For both the ac and the water heater, they basically were just like my friend said "Yup, that's broken, we'll replace it". No haggling, no back and forth phone calls.
From what my friend said, the contractors just want the work, and want to knock it out to move on to the next call, so they usually don't dick around and are quick to just flat out replace faulty units if it's easier/faster to do that.
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm I would post a TL;DR gif, but i actually read it all.

FWIW, building codes are not retroactive, IE just because they require x now, a house that was built before X was required is not in violation of code.
That's the other beauty of it. I was expecting to get charged for these code updates.
NOPE... HEY BRAH, WE DID THAT FOR YA AND IT'S COVERED UNDER YOUR PLAN TEE.
Acid666

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:50 pm
Acid666 wrote:The 30,000 foot view is this:
This home warranty is the fucking tits. Getting a service call done is RETARDED easy. Just go online, click "AIR CONDITIONER", Accept... then BAM. Pay the fee.
Within 24 hours a company will call to set up an appointment.
For both the ac and the water heater, they basically were just like my friend said "Yup, that's broken, we'll replace it". No haggling, no back and forth phone calls.
From what my friend said, the contractors just want the work, and want to knock it out to move on to the next call, so they usually don't dick around and are quick to just flat out replace faulty units if it's easier/faster to do that.
Hmm. So 23 year old oil burner that probably has a 20 year life span...?
Yes. If my compressor from '89 would of went out first, they would of replaced that and covered it, but then I would of had to pay out of pocket for the coil in the attic since the compressor runs R410 and the old coil runs R22.

If it works now, and breaks while you're covered, it's covered. Doesn't matter the age. This is why I got the coverage as my friend suggested.
Acid666

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:53 pm
Acid666 wrote:
Yes. If my compressor from '89 would of went out first, they would of replaced that and covered it, but then I would of had to pay out of pocket for the coil in the attic since the compressor runs R410 and the old coil runs R22.

If it works now, and breaks while you're covered, it's covered. Doesn't matter the age. This is why I got the coverage as my friend suggested.
Man this is tempting
The beauty of my situation is that I knew my ac was going to bite the bullet. That's why my friend suggested it.
I totally wasn't expecting my water heater to go out, but was shocked with how quick the dude was like "Yup, that's a leak. We could fix it but in our experience from where it's leaking, it's got internal damage that'll only need to get fixed again. We'll get you a new one"

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I had one included with house for a year. Didn't renew it. It covered a water leak at the slab. Local plumber did his job got it covered and worked the system since it was kinda 50/50 in/out slab at the edge. If in dirt it wasn't covered. I went Scrooge route since some ac guys will take forever to come out, and dropped the plan, knowing my ac was 20 years old and limping. The next year I replaced my entire ac for about $7500 iirc. I upsized the system as well so I sleep better knowing the warranty would only cover cuz dollars of replacement.

Glad yours paid out well. I simply dropped the monthly bill. My water heater is likely next to go, being 30+ years old.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

5/7 content, would read again, sounds like great peace of mind when buying a house with any number of suspect items that look tired. Also, 5/7 more impactful than Crang playing footsie with co-workers whilst sharing a bag of Swedish Fish.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666

For the record, this is what my plan currently covers.
What's Covered

View contract PDF

Serviceable Items
Air Conditioning (Central-Electric)
Central Vacuum
Cooktop Or Range
Dishwasher
Doorbells
Dryer
Duct Work
Electric
Evap (Swamp) Cooler
Bathroom or Attic Exhaust Fan
Faucets
Floor Furnace (Gas)
Furnace (Elec)
Furnace (Gas)
Furnace (Oil)
Free-Standing Ice Maker
Garage Door Opener
Garbage Disposal
Heat Pump
Pipe Leaks
Microwave
Oven
Sewage Ejector Pump
Range Hood Exhaust Fan
Refrigerator
Refrigerator - Ice Maker
Steam Heat (Boiler)
Stoppage
Sump Pump
Trash Compactor
Wall Furnace (Gas)
Wall Unit Air
Washer
Toilet
Water Heater (Gas Or Elec)
Whirlpool Tub
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah man, that's awesome.

Tell them your dryer vent is causing moisture problems, see if they can relocate it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

All you airboat guys need a new A/C compressor every three years.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:00 pm Yeah man, that's awesome.

Tell them your dryer vent is causing moisture problems, see if they can relocate it.
I actually talked to the Lafayette code guy about it when he came. He said I can run it up and out the sides. I told him total length of venting was 25' from what I read and he said it's actually 35'. He verified that every 90° bend you have to subtract 5', but said that the first 90 bend RIGHT at the dryer they usually don't count. So I can bring it straight up and 90 to the back of the house and vent out of the sofits. He told me just use a not use screws in it and to use a specific tape. So I've got some options where I don't have to route it out at ground level now.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:04 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:00 pm Yeah man, that's awesome.

I actually talked to the Lafayette code guy about it when he came. He said I can run it up and out the sides. I told him total length of venting was 25' from what I read and he said it's actually 35'. He verified that every 90° bend you have to subtract 5', but said that the first 90 bend RIGHT at the dryer they usually don't count. So I can bring it straight up and 90 to the back of the house and vent out of the sofits. He told me just use a not use screws in it and to use a specific tape. So I've got some options where I don't have to route it out at ground level now.
Yeah, you can go straight up and out through the roof if you want.
Up and out through a soffit would be easy peasy.

Yeah, use regular foil tape for that, that's what I used for all my ducting.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

house i purchased came with one. I used it once so far to come and check a leaking pipe i found and the plumbing co called me same day and was out the next day. I ended up using them for my AC install cause they did good work. So far I'm happy with the warranty. I may consider renewing when it expires in Sept
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:00 pm All you airboat guys need a new A/C compressor every three years.
you are not wrong.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:50 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm I would post a TL;DR gif, but i actually read it all.

That's the other beauty of it. I was expecting to get charged for these code updates.
NOPE... HEY BRAH, WE DID THAT FOR YA AND IT'S COVERED UNDER YOUR PLAN TEE.
:notbad:
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Melon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm I'll take this over kid talk.
Or the latest NEEK pole.
Acid666

Is kid talk going on over there in OT or some shit? I don't have the time to keep up with y'all over there.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:36 pm Is kid talk going on over there in OT or some shit? I don't have the time to keep up with y'all over there.
Yarp
Acid666

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:46 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:36 pm Is kid talk going on over there in OT or some shit? I don't have the time to keep up with y'all over there.
Yarp
Maybe y'all should turn it into cat talk.
Apex

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:51 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Yarp
Maybe y'all should turn it into cat talk.
:disgust:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Just saw this thread. I was "gifted" this warranty by my real estate agent after buying a house 2 years ago. The heater (natural gas, forced air) went out on us about 5 months after. We got like 1300 covered and had to pay 900 in labor for replacement -- they didn't cover labor, only the hardware.

I spent a total of 10 (!!!) Hours on hold with them but that was worth it to get it covered. We also had to go through contractors almost 75 miles away, but they were actually fantastic and did a great job. I assumed it was a scam for a while. I think ahs charged like 500 a year and they endlessly harassed me to renew but we got our money's worth with the install. With the roof leak it wasn't worth the time on hold. Most stuff is going to age and you're better off saving that 500 a year to replace with better, not equivalent stuff. I'm glad we had it though, I had just bought an engagement ring too so my bank account was close to zero.
Acid666

rockchops wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:34 pm Just saw this thread. I was "gifted" this warranty by my real estate agent after buying a house 2 years ago. The heater (natural gas, forced air) went out on us about 5 months after. We got like 1300 covered and had to pay 900 in labor for replacement -- they didn't cover labor, only the hardware.

I spent a total of 10 (!!!) Hours on hold with them but that was worth it to get it covered. We also had to go through contractors almost 75 miles away, but they were actually fantastic and did a great job. I assumed it was a scam for a while. I think ahs charged like 500 a year and they endlessly harassed me to renew but we got our money's worth with the install. With the roof leak it wasn't worth the time on hold. Most stuff is going to age and you're better off saving that 500 a year to replace with better, not equivalent stuff. I'm glad we had it though, I had just bought an engagement ring too so my bank account was close to zero.

I think after a year with these guys I likely won't renew it again. I got it mainly for the Ac since I KNEW it was going to go out, but the other stuff I can pretty much cover with cash. Things like the fridge (ours is new anyways), washer/dryer... My plans were to replace the ac and then start saving for a new roof and the try to get solar panels on the back. AHS won't cover anything like that. So I figured new Ac, new roof, insides totally updated with new fridge, dishwasher, toilets, vanities... We've done a lot of that. That should put a little extra value in my home if I decide to sell.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:05 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:52 pm

:disgust:
:pussy:
:doge: