Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm Plumbing and HVAC are two things that I :nope: out of doing myself. I'm sure I could do it, I just don't want to. I've tried plumbing, and always end up with leaks. :nope:
Agreed. Not a fan of plumbing jobs. I always do manage to finish them in the end, but they always take way longer, often with several trips to the hardware store, and elicit much :rage:
Not sure why :mahtroy: is throwing me shade for hiring someone, unless I'm misreading his meaning. :iono:
I'm just saying that it's easier than you seem to think and has always been worth the effort to DIY to me. Even the one in my dad's basement which was a major PITA to access due to him filling the whole basement with go-kart parts was not really that bad. Probably 3-4 hours total counting driving to Home Depot and back to pick up the new one, uninstalling the old one and hauling it out to the street, and installing the new one. No special tools needed and not particularly messy or dangerous. I don't actually know what they charge for labor to do it for you :doe:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:04 pm
dubshow wrote:my yuge bucket of wall touch up paint is seperated and molded... :disgust:

so I now have to attempt to match the wall color all over my house. every wall is the same color.

So my little sink install project is on hold until it get the wall repair painted. :rage:

and paint at SW is fucking expensive.
Tell them you are doing your whole house and they should give you a 20% off card. @detroitplac
actually, since my biz card says intern architect, as a design professional, they give 20%. kinda :derp: but I'll take it cause their shit is expensive and thats where the OG paint came from. just :rage: I dont have the exact paint code. Im praying they can find it by address from the people that did the flip?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:20 pm
dubshow wrote:
actually, since my biz card says intern architect, as a design professional, they give 20%. kinda :derp: but I'll take it cause their shit is expensive and thats where the OG paint came from. just :rage: I dont have the exact paint code. Im praying they can find it by address from the people that did the flip?
No labels on lids of cans?

The SW phone app is damn good at figuring out the color.
:mindblown:

fucking brilliant! Thanks for that idea. TOTALLY forgot that existed.

:like: :like: :like:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Agreed. Not a fan of plumbing jobs. I always do manage to finish them in the end, but they always take way longer, often with several trips to the hardware store, and elicit much :rage:
Not sure why :mahtroy: is throwing me shade for hiring someone, unless I'm misreading his meaning. :iono:
I'm just saying that it's easier than you seem to think and has always been worth the effort to DIY to me. Even the one in my dad's basement which was a major PITA to access due to him filling the whole basement with go-kart parts was not really that bad. Probably 3-4 hours total counting driving to Home Depot and back to pick up the new one, uninstalling the old one and hauling it out to the street, and installing the new one. No special tools needed and not particularly messy or dangerous. I don't actually know what they charge for labor to do it for you :doe:
$875 installed. Parts and labor.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:30 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm

Yeah, but what's the same unit cost at HD?
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:39 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Yeah, but what's the same unit cost at HD?
:notsure: but he said it was taller than my existing one and had a 6 year warranty so I'm guessing it's this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Perfor ... /300434508

So, a couple hundo for various pipe fittings, exhaust venting, and labor. I'm good with that.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:58 pm Updates: After the initial $215k lowball, seller countered with 225k, which we replied with 220k, and then he countered at a final number of 222.5k, and the replacement of the heater was already factored in.

I asked for $222.5k and he replaces AC in addition to heater, pending inspection - so we're at $224.5k. We accepted, as long as HVAC is replaced prior to inspection, and the AC is R410a refrigerant.

Inspection will likely catch a few other things, so hopefully we can try to scrape a little off the backside or ask for closing costs covered, but we're just waiting at this point to hear the final acceptance on their end.
:fuckyeah:
#pinsandneedles
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:27 pm
dubshow wrote:
:mindblown:

fucking brilliant! Thanks for that idea. TOTALLY forgot that existed.

:like: :like: :like:
:fuckyeah:

I'd go with Super Paint (blue can) it's the best bang for the buck.
Do you even Pro Mar 200? Same shit, half the price with no fancy label.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, didn't know SW had an app and that it was worth a damn. :impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I want to go back to working at an SW. But with [user not found] and I as managers.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Do you even Pro Mar 200? Same shit, half the price with no fancy label.
Oh dang. Our retail price on promar was higher than super paint. Only commercial bros got the good pricing on it.
If a retail guy came in and asked for it, I'd punch in an account code I knew and got him solid pricing. MSRP on Pro Mar was insanity...but the discounts were deeper than on super paint, so clearly the margin was nuts.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:11 pm
Detroit wrote:I want to go back to working at an SW. But with [user not found] and I as managers.
I seriously would go work as a manager there, tomorrow, if I hit the lotto.

We could work together. It would be like anchorman but with brubs and paint.
Agreed, 5/7 would work at paint store if I won the lotto. Would be a fantastic time. Brubs and paint. 5/7
wap

So, met with an insurance adjuster just now.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:58 pm Updates: After the initial $215k lowball, seller countered with 225k, which we replied with 220k, and then he countered at a final number of 222.5k, and the replacement of the heater was already factored in.

I asked for $222.5k and he replaces AC in addition to heater, pending inspection - so we're at $224.5k. We accepted, as long as HVAC is replaced prior to inspection, and the AC is R410a refrigerant.

Inspection will likely catch a few other things, so hopefully we can try to scrape a little off the backside or ask for closing costs covered, but we're just waiting at this point to hear the final acceptance on their end.
:notbad:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 pm
wap wrote:So, met with an insurance adjuster just now.
About?
His car insurance was obviously too cheap and needed to be adjusted. Ain't nobody gettin' no $30/mo insurance. :wap: :alpo: :troywax:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:40 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 pm About?
His car insurance was obviously too cheap and needed to be adjusted. Ain't nobody gettin' no $30/mo insurance. :wap: :alpo: :troywax:
You think I'm lying about that too now?? :wtf:
troyguitar

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:40 pm

It was obviously adjusted to a higher rate today! :troywax:

Today I learned that our entire HVAC system will need replacement not in 2 months to 2 years, but fucking ASAP. Refrigerant leak was bad enough that a $300 recharge lasted only 12 hours. :mahtroy: luck.

$5-10k additional expense needed NOW with no time for research or savings and 4.5 weeks from the motherfucking :troywax: wedding.

Yeah, there is NO WAY we're going to Europe before 2023 if ever.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 pm
wap wrote:So, met with an insurance adjuster just now.
About?
A LOT of neighbors are getting new roofs after our recent micro burst storm so I thought I'd file a claim with our company just in case we had damage too. Adjuster bro found more than 75% damage so we're getting a new roof!! :fuckyeah:

He also found a few other things too that they're going to pay for. Some hail damage on a couple of drip rails above some windows, some chipped paint on a window frame, a torn screen, and a lot of bent fins on our wall-mount AC that I believe they're paying to replace.
:notbad: :alpo:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Today I learned that our entire HVAC system will need replacement not in 2 months to 2 years, but fucking ASAP. Refrigerant leak was bad enough that a $300 recharge lasted only 12 hours. :mahtroy: luck.

$5-10k additional expense needed NOW with no time for research or savings and 4.5 weeks from the motherfucking :troywax: wedding.

:rage: :(
Can insurance help at all?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

troyguitar wrote:
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 pm You think I'm lying about that too now?? :wtf:

#1...air conditioning. You can live without it briefly. #2 shit is same as a car in principle. Throw a shot of dye in it and look for the leak. 99% of the time it is a busted o ring.
troyguitar

The list of things I can't live without is very small, but air conditioning is near the top of that list after water and food.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Man this really sucks.
I'm totally glad I got American Home Shield and it alleviated this issue for me.
I tried to get the first company to seek out my freon leak, but it wasn't worth it since the coil and condensor were so old and would likely need to be replaced anyways.

How many pounds did they put in it?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:53 am
troyguitar wrote:

Do you have equity in your house?
serial question, time to HELOC it. throw on CC to get done bu HELOC for lower rate.

Found out my heloc has a 1.99 intro rate for 6 months! :fuckyeah:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

rockchops wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:30 pm
troyguitar wrote:

#1...air conditioning. You can live without it briefly. #2 shit is same as a car in principle. Throw a shot of dye in it and look for the leak. 99% of the time it is a busted o ring.
yea but thie fucking ac man has that shit on fucking lockdown. Sure, prob 80% of leaks could be fixed via seals or solder, but the GOVERNMENT does not trust ac guys to do that #ozoneholes #globalcooling. Therefore, component replacement is the only option.

I mean, that shit is so far on lock..... i had a relay start getting sticky on my old house. Diagnosed myself. Called local place to buy a fucking relay for the condenser. Would not sail to me because not licenced. Got it off ebay, but still. I had to pretty much manually put it to 'on' and 'off' and go confirm compressor shutdown for a few days. playing with 220v. Yea that was safer than selling me the fucking correct part....
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

brain go brrrrrr