Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:06 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm So I'm trying to figure out some additional storage solutions for our :jalepenis: kitchen. Any ideas on what the hell a free-standing triangular cabinet like this would be called? (I know the photo is of a built-in version, but I'm looking for free-standing stuff)

Additionally, I'm looking for sources for something like a small rolling kitchen island with storage underneath it - maybe around 24" square?

My other thought was - Does anyone make what is effectively a free-standing kitchen section? As in a ~24" deep lower cabinet with counter on top of it and a ~12" deep cabinet above it, 84" or so tall in total but not bolted to the wall. I have a ~32" wide section of empty wall space in the kitchen that really could use something like that.
I don't think you're going to find anything 84" tall on rollers not bolted to the wall for kitchen type use. But maybe you could get one of those shorter islands and add a hutch on top of it. Find an island with a butcher block top, and then find a hutch at an antique store or something, bolt it to it?

"Corner cabinet" should turn up a bunch of stuff on wayfair, etc, for the triangular thing.
I think his rolling island request is separate from the tall cabinet request...
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm
My other thought was - Does anyone make what is effectively a free-standing kitchen section? As in a ~24" deep lower cabinet with counter on top of it and a ~12" deep cabinet above it, 84" or so tall in total but not bolted to the wall. I have a ~32" wide section of empty wall space in the kitchen that really could use something like that.
This was called a Hoosier Cabinet back in the day and antique versions can be found and are :mindblown: useful and cleverly designed.
Current :scrooge: version:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hodedah-HIK9 ... gK4m_D_BwE

Here's a couple antique examples:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm
This was called a Hoosier Cabinet back in the day and antique versions can be found and are :mindblown: useful and cleverly designed.
:mahwap:

I think that's exactly the kind of thing we want in that spot. I'll have to hunt around a bit and see which one to get exactly, but that Walmart one is pretty spot-on for dimensions. Thanks
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:19 pm
wap wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:38 pm

:mahwap:

I think that's exactly the kind of thing we want in that spot. I'll have to hunt around a bit and see which one to get exactly, but that Walmart one is pretty spot-on for dimensions. Thanks
:like:
:micdrop:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

anyone have experience with the new Nest E?

I have to buy 2 smart thermos now. I liked my ecobee but a self learning could be cool. We pretty much just set a schedule on the ecobee and used the room sensors to balance the oversized AC unit.

Saw this option. Seems :notbad: but less features than the normal Nest.

https://nest.com/thermostats/nest-therm ... /overview/

I also like the nest smoke/carbon sensor. Ecobee was kinda a dead end.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I put Nest smoke/carbon sensors on every floor in the house. Pricey, but awesome. Having them connected to WiFi is outstanding. They'll ping your phone if they detect smoke, and you can silence using your phone if it's smoke you know about (like in the kitchen). They can even broadcast...so if you're far from the one detecting smoke, it'll announce where it's detecting smoke...example: I'm on the 3rd floor and there's smoke in the basement, it'll announce on the third floor that it detects smoke in the basement. Super handy rather than just beeping.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Unfortunately, we run a basic programmable thermostat in our house because of Thomas the Tank engine in the basement that's best set to one temp all the time.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This might have been covered but does anyone have a good closed loop camera system for their home? I'm looking at getting one and would love to hear recommendations.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm thinking Arlo Pro, 3 cameras, hard wired and rechargeable batteries, direct monitoring from my phone etc. Amazon and Worst Buy have all kinds of sets.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 am I'm thinking Arlo Pro, 3 cameras, hard wired and rechargeable batteries, direct monitoring from my phone etc. Amazon and Worst Buy have all kinds of sets.
If you go that route, watch the price swings. I was looking at an Arlo Pro setup before and the 5 or 6 camera kit and it was jumping from $1100 - $850 on amazon.

I ended up buying some IP cameras from a vendor on ipcamtalk.com that operates out of China. I bought Dahua starlight cameras, a 24 port POE+ switch and setup a Windows machine running Blue Iris as the DVR. You could also just buy a traditional set top box DVR from one of the companies as well and add your hard drives and connect your cameras.

Just depends on what you want, there's a billion options out there from fixed view to to zoom only and PTZ cameras. Then you get into flooding your property with external IR lights and all kinds of other stuff... checkout the ipcamtalk forum if you want to dig in and go beyond a consumer box kit.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:27 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 am I'm thinking Arlo Pro, 3 cameras, hard wired and rechargeable batteries, direct monitoring from my phone etc. Amazon and Worst Buy have all kinds of sets.
If you go that route, watch the price swings. I was looking at an Arlo Pro setup before and the 5 or 6 camera kit and it was jumping from $1100 - $850 on amazon.

I ended up buying some IP cameras from a vendor on ipcamtalk.com that operates out of China. I bought Dahua starlight cameras, a 24 port POE+ switch and setup a Windows machine running Blue Iris as the DVR. You could also just buy a traditional set top box DVR from one of the companies as well and add your hard drives and connect your cameras.

Just depends on what you want, there's a billion options out there from fixed view to to zoom only and PTZ cameras. Then you get into flooding your property with external IR lights and all kinds of other stuff... checkout the ipcamtalk forum if you want to dig in and go beyond a consumer box kit.
Interesting... thanks for that feedback. Checking now, here are my initial thoughts:

I don't have a lot of monitary to lose and insurance will cover me with a 1k deductible in the event of a B and E. I do want the recorded footage in a safe spot and have love updates when a motion sensor goes off. The simplest method is the best for me. No time to build a custom solution and i feel like the 4 camera system from Arlo (Pro 2) can alert me and get on the phone if someone is rummaging around the house.

Price wise a 4 camera system is 999 but i have a best buy friend that will get me their pricing plus 2% or whatever on anything they supply. A three camera is like 579 on sale and the best deal.

I'm guessing your setup is significantly pricier.. and I'm willing to go that far but it has to actually be more secure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'd like to avoid subscription :doe:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:27 am

Interesting... thanks for that feedback. Checking now, here are my initial thoughts:

I don't have a lot of monitary to lose and insurance will cover me with a 1k deductible in the event of a B and E. I do want the recorded footage in a safe spot and have love updates when a motion sensor goes off. The simplest method is the best for me. No time to build a custom solution and i feel like the 4 camera system from Arlo (Pro 2) can alert me and get on the phone if someone is rummaging around the house.

Price wise a 4 camera system is 999 but i have a best buy friend that will get me their pricing plus 2% or whatever on anything they supply. A three camera is like 579 on sale and the best deal.

I'm guessing your setup is significantly pricier.. and I'm willing to go that far but it has to actually be more secure.
Yeah, I think it just comes down to what you need.

My cameras are varifocal and were like $180 each. I have 11 of them, including a one in the garage. Running the cables wasn't exactly fun, but I prefer not to use Wifi.

I've got a Dropcam Pro/Nest camera that I've had a long time and it is "okay" and gives a 1080p stream, but the cloud only cameras are not something I would buy again.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am

Yeah, I think it just comes down to what you need.

My cameras are varifocal and were like $180 each. I have 11 of them, including a one in the garage. Running the cables wasn't exactly fun, but I prefer not to use Wifi.

I've got a Dropcam Pro/Nest camera that I've had a long time and it is "okay" and gives a 1080p stream, but the cloud only cameras are not something I would buy again.
Privacy thing is the driving factor I assume. I like your setup but would have to outsource it which in itself requires a certain trust factor and would probably hit me for three grand.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm really not a fan of our Arlo setup. Bought a 3 camera on sale from Costco about a year ago, and I feel like a beta tester all the time. The software/app is glitchy AF, and they'll fix it with one release just to break it worse in the next. I use geofencing, which rarely works.

Plus, they're trying to turn their customers into ATMs, and I'm not really a fan of that. Customer service wouldn't even help me troubleshoot why my basestation wouldn't connect to the internet without me paying them for the privilege. I ended up finding the answer on the Arlo forum, but still. I really wanted the doorbell to be great, but it looks like a POS. The company is clearly in financial trouble after Netgear spun them off, and I won't give them another dime. I'll throw the system away before I pay a monthly subscription. I'm just waiting for them to go back on the lifetime 7 days free cloud storage.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:07 am
I'm really not a fan of our Arlo setup. Bought a 3 camera on sale from Costco about a year ago, and I feel like a beta tester all the time. The software/app is glitchy AF, and they'll fix it with one release just to break it worse in the next. I use geofencing, which rarely works.

Plus, they're trying to turn their customers into ATMs, and I'm not really a fan of that. Customer service wouldn't even help me troubleshoot why my basestation wouldn't connect to the internet without me paying them for the privilege. I ended up finding the answer on the Arlo forum, but still. I really wanted the doorbell to be great, but it looks like a POS. The company is clearly in financial trouble after Netgear spun them off, and I won't give them another dime. I'll throw the system away before I pay a monthly subscription. I'm just waiting for them to go back on the lifetime 7 days free cloud storage.
Just to chime in about doorbells, I still love my Skybell HD. Works great and very reliable.

http://www.skybell.com/product/skybell- ... orbell-hd/
ChrisoftheNorth

Biggest issue for us is we don't have any door bell wiring. Would need something battery powered.

Our entire house is connected through Google assistant. I'm waiting for someone to make a basic version of the Arlo doorbell. Ring through the smart speakers, I can check the Arlo app on my phone to see who's there, done. I don't want to buy more chimes, download more apps I'll barely use, etc, etc.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oh wow, for such a large market presence I'm amazed that their service is so bad.

Now that it is connected how does the motion sensor behave? Is the picture quality any good? It might be worth the effort to build a system up. I do like having an app to alert me of activity around the house but if the app is glitchy I might need to find something else.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 am

Just to chime in about doorbells, I still love my Skybell HD. Works great and very reliable.

http://www.skybell.com/product/skybell- ... orbell-hd/
:notbad: :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am

Oh wow, for such a large market presence I'm amazed that their service is so bad.

Now that it is connected how does the motion sensor behave? Is the picture quality any good? It might be worth the effort to build a system up. I do like having an app to alert me of activity around the house but if the app is glitchy I might need to find something else.
They were the first consumer market wireless system, and I think that bought them a lot of presence. The motion detection is fine, but requires fine tuning. The app will blow your phone up with every little detail (front camera catching cars driving by, squirrels in the yard, etc). I actually turned off notifications for the front because it was so annoying, but it still records in case I need to reference video footage for something. I'm more concerned about my side and rear house cameras because nobody should be back there during the day. Motion sensitivity is adjustable, but getting it just right can be a pain.

The video quality is fine, it's adjustable to balance quality and battery life. Speaking of, battery life has been really solid.

The app is just terrible and the system regularly forgets the cameras so you have to resetup the entire system about once every 6 months from my experience. That means pulling all the cameras down and repairing with the base station. This happened once when we were on vacation, which makes them nearly worthless IMO. I contacted Arlo about it (I've had them for a year and a half ) and they told me to pound sand because I don't pay them for monthly service. A company that refuses to stand behind it's products isn't a company that I want to give money to.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:44 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:16 am A game is afoot. Will update soon. Each time I got to the house I like it more. That's a good sign.

The attic is massive lol
Put a roof hatch in for when the 40 day deluge comes back.
:nope:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

You guys see the rate fall on its ass?
Bank of america right now for a 30-Year Fixed Rate 3.875%interest 4.086% APR. Shit just might work out for me if luck has it. Looking to buy a 4 bedroom / 3 car garage in October/Nov.
oh, and Triple 777 posts.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Boom. Just need a longer vent pipe but it’s basically done.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:19 pm Image

:impressive: Mine is due...... Funfact: Olde Irish has never sweated pipes in the (what feels like) centuries of his existence....
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:19 pm Image

I take it you aren’t in California. They have to be strapped to the wall here.