Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote:
rockchops wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 pm peeled up our carpets and I'm attempting to do all the refinishing on my own. This is after a cursory 40 grit pass. Floors look brand new once the 70 years of dirt, stain, paint and grime are sanded off!
in4updates

I refinished a section of floor in our last house and it turned out horrible. Lessons learned I guess, curious to hear about your experience.
smallest room in our house so this is our experiment. This was with dust and before the second pass. We are planning on staining it dark to match the rest of our old ass rickety house. What made it look like shit? I'm going in blind and using what I learned as a kid sanding down furniture. :notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

rockchops wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 am
Detroit wrote: in4updates

I refinished a section of floor in our last house and it turned out horrible. Lessons learned I guess, curious to hear about your experience.
smallest room in our house so this is our experiment. This was with dust and before the second pass. We are planning on staining it dark to match the rest of our old ass rickety house. What made it look like shit? I'm going in blind and using what I learned as a kid sanding down furniture. :notsure:
I used a belt sander, and had no idea how difficult it is to get the floor sanded evenly with a belt sander. Especially on the first pass with 40, holding a few seconds longer in a spot results in a low spot. Worse, it's really easy to gouge the floor with 40 that you can't get out easily on subsequent lighter grit passes.

When the wood is natural, it looks :mindblown: amazing. Then you put the first coat of stain on...holy hell.

The stain made all the low spots obvious and darkened the gouges. It looked so bad that I actually started over again using what I learned. The second time was maybe 50% better, but still dealing with the same issues overall.

I think the right solution would have been to rent a floor sander to get the floor even, then use the belt and palm sanders around the edges. Live and learn...but I really don't think I'm going to try floors again.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

my moms house is likely worse.

She has an entire extra house/loft/apt thing about 1200 sqft of PURE SHIT stacked to ceiling. Many feels. Ive been noaping out of her dumb shit for years now.

Its time :fax: listens to his own advice.

:dubshow:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:07 pm my moms house is likely worse.

She has an entire extra house/loft/apt thing about 1200 sqft of PURE SHIT stacked to ceiling. Many feels. Ive been noaping out of her dumb shit for years now.

Its time :fax: listens to his own advice.

:dubshow:
eh, they are way more reasonable than your mom.
brain go brrrrrr
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:56 pm My dad does the same shit.

Garage crammed full of stuff my dad claims he’ll use someday. Basement is packed. Attic is packed. Brothers old bedroom is packed full of stuff and my parents haven’t touched it since he died. My old room, their bedroom, the kitchen, and the family room are really the only rooms that aren’t full of things.

It’s not hoarder level stuff but it kinda is. I’ve tried helping my dad clean out the garage but he packed more stuff back in right after we cleaned it out the last time.

I never want to have to deal with that. Ever. I do mass purges from time to time.
:ohdang: I didn't even know you had a brother. Sorry [user not found].
The panda hath arrived.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Got the first wave of "MEGABED" made. Had the truss system all designed and setup and all of the top level ideas beat up enough to where I could build the frame and then revisit it when I had the time.

Top Level: putting our two queen mattresses side by side on a frame with space to put 3-4 pull out drawers on the front, and 2X on the sides. Last 20" will have custom night stands that stack into a vertical cabinet that goes up and spans all the way from the left to the right side with storage, lighting and cat sleeping areas.
One of the mattresses is shorter than the other, and I've got plywood underneath them for now. But the plan is to convert it to slats so it can ventilate, and raise the shorter mattress up. Also I'm going to make the rear pockets accessible thru the top for winter storage and shit that gets pulled out once a year/never. Custom paneling will be made to make it all uniform along with nice trim.
All in due time, but one thing at a time.

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Why such a ginormous bed?
Acid666

Apex wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am Why such a ginormous bed?
Many cats that tend to sleep between us, on our heads, on our legs, in us like Tauntauns. Plus the majority of 1 queen sized mattress was taken up by the wife's plethora of body pillows. She removed them for this pic. I'm usually stuck with sleeping like a pencil with zero leg room because that damn dog decides to sleep at my feet and I can't fully stretch out. And we don't need much actual extra space in our master bedroom since all we do in it is sleep. If I could I'd cut the actual bedroom size down and make our bathroom bigger.
Last edited by Acid666 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:37 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am Why such a ginormous bed?
Many cats that tend to sleep between us, on our heads, on our legs, in us like Tauntauns. Plus the majority of 1 queen sized mattress was taken up by the wife's plethora of body pillows. And we don't need much actual extra space in our master bedroom since all we do in it is sleep. If I could I'd cut the actual bedroom size down and make our bathroom bigger.
:word:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I need a dry erase board for my garage.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 am I need a dry erase board for my garage.
I got mine from Walmart. It's f'n huge and was only $20.
We got 3 because they were so cheap. One's in the kitchen. We might not even need the 3rd one. I'll ask Kendra if she has plans for it. If she doesn't then you can have this one.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:48 am
I got mine from Walmart. It's f'n huge and was only $20.
We got 3 because they were so cheap. One's in the kitchen. We might not even need the 3rd one. I'll ask Kendra if she has plans for it. If she doesn't then you can have this one.
Nice man, thanks.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that post.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I used to have this. Need to get another.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Found a quartz that we think will go with white shaker cabinets. Looks :notbad: and $700 under budget.ImageImageImage
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm Found a quartz that we think will go with white shaker cabinets. Looks :notbad: and $700 under budget.ImageImageImage
:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm Found a quartz that we think will go with white shaker cabinets. Looks :notbad: and $700 under budget.ImageImageImage
Where exactly is this going?
We did our backsplash similar to this and we love it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote:
Where exactly is this going?
We did our backsplash similar to this and we love it.
Kitchen countertops. Backsplash tile will be this with a medium gray groutImage
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Front foyer/powder room tileImageImage
wap

:megusta:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote::megusta:
:yesth:
I'm very pleased with today's finds. This reno should turn out 5/7
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 pm
wap wrote::megusta:
:yesth:
I'm very pleased with today's finds. This reno should turn out 5/7
:like:
In4pics
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 pm Got the first wave of "MEGABED" made. Had the truss system all designed and setup and all of the top level ideas beat up enough to where I could build the frame and then revisit it when I had the time.

Top Level: putting our two queen mattresses side by side on a frame with space to put 3-4 pull out drawers on the front, and 2X on the sides. Last 20" will have custom night stands that stack into a vertical cabinet that goes up and spans all the way from the left to the right side with storage, lighting and cat sleeping areas.
One of the mattresses is shorter than the other, and I've got plywood underneath them for now. But the plan is to convert it to slats so it can ventilate, and raise the shorter mattress up. Also I'm going to make the rear pockets accessible thru the top for winter storage and shit that gets pulled out once a year/never. Custom paneling will be made to make it all uniform along with nice trim.
All in due time, but one thing at a time.

missed this post, very nice!
brain go brrrrrr
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Put new toilets in the main bath and powder room over the weekend. The one in the powder room was original to the house in 1989, had a sticker on it bragging about how it only used 3.5 gallons of water per flush. New one uses 1.3 lol
wap

I still have a 5 GPF toilet that's almost 60 years old. :troywax: It's glorious. It's tankless, like in a public john, so it's great for parties because you never have to wait for the tank to refill between flushes. I've rebuilt the flushometer (valve thing) and the wax ring was recently replaced to it's probably good for another few decades. No current plans to replace it.