Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote:I still have a 5 GPF toilet that's almost 60 years old. :troywax: It's glorious. It's tankless, like in a public john, so it's great for parties because you never have to wait for the tank to refill between flushes. I've rebuilt the flushometer (valve thing) and the wax ring was recently replaced to it's probably good for another few decades. No current plans to replace it.
:jelly: 5/7 would rebuild this and keep a set of spare parts
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:21 pm
wap wrote:I still have a 5 GPF toilet that's almost 60 years old. :troywax: It's glorious. It's tankless, like in a public john, so it's great for parties because you never have to wait for the tank to refill between flushes. I've rebuilt the flushometer (valve thing) and the wax ring was recently replaced to it's probably good for another few decades. No current plans to replace it.
:jelly: 5/7 would rebuild this and keep a set of spare parts
Fortunately flushometer replacement parts are still readily available at my local neighborhood hardware store.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am I still have a 5 GPF toilet that's almost 60 years old. :troywax: It's glorious. It's tankless, like in a public john, so it's great for parties because you never have to wait for the tank to refill between flushes. I've rebuilt the flushometer (valve thing) and the wax ring was recently replaced to it's probably good for another few decades. No current plans to replace it.
This is the way to go.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm Found a quartz that we think will go with white shaker cabinets. Looks :notbad: and $700 under budget.ImageImageImage
I am pretty sure this is the exact same one we picked for our bathroom vanity tops. Saved me a bundle over granite and marble that my wife was looking at.

:like:
wap

This is the day that my mortgage payment is due. Or, at least it would be if I didn't pay it off last month!
:carlton:
#feelsgoodman
:micdrop:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm This is the day that my mortgage payment is due. Or, at least it would be if I didn't pay it off last month!
#feelsgoodman
:crang: will gladly accept your check.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

and....

That's awesome :wap: Enjoy that freedom and light some bills on fire.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:35 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm This is the day that my mortgage payment is due. Or, at least it would be if I didn't pay it off last month!
#feelsgoodman
:crang: will gladly accept your check.
:nope: :hellno:
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:35 pm and....

That's awesome :wap: Enjoy that freedom and light some bills on fire.
Thanks man!
Definitely feels good to have that monkey off my back years before I retire. Should make things easier.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm Found a quartz that we think will go with white shaker cabinets. Looks :notbad: and $700 under budget.ImageImageImage
I am pretty sure this is the exact same one we picked for our bathroom vanity tops. Saved me a bundle over granite and marble that my wife was looking at.

:like:
Nice, thanks Waxer! It should hold up better then both of the options and yes it is pretty cheap. Its a win-win. The floor tiles need a bit more attention, sealing annually
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:This is the day that my mortgage payment is due. Or, at least it would be if I didn't pay it off last month!
#feelsgoodman
:dat: , however it's pretty easy finding a new place to dump that extra savings.

Congrats again! :like:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:49 pm
wap wrote:This is the day that my mortgage payment is due. Or, at least it would be if I didn't pay it off last month!
#feelsgoodman
:dat: , however it's pretty easy finding a new place to dump that extra savings.

Congrats again! :like:
It's going right into our money market for now.

Thanks, man.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

#feelsgoodman
:bravo:
The panda hath arrived.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Finally got sober enough to finish our basement. I framed and drywalled and mudded the bedroom. Framed the rest out, built a landing and a bench/tv stand to keep access to our water main open. Hired someone to hang and mud the rest. Hired out the egress window install too.

It was drip tile ceiling and wood paneling before, now it's a great space for the kids and spare bedroom for my mom when she visits.

Going to buy a OLED TV and eventually add one of the new Xboxes.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

KYGTIGuy wrote:Finally got sober enough to finish our basement. I framed and drywalled and mudded the bedroom. Framed the rest out, built a landing and a bench/tv stand to keep access to our water main open. Hired someone to hang and mud the rest. Hired out the egress window install too.

It was drip tile ceiling and wood paneling before, now it's a great space for the kids and spare bedroom for my mom when she visits.

I eventually want to redo part of our basement too, I’m thinking projector setup and make it a hangout space but geared towards movies.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote:Finally got sober enough to finish our basement. I framed and drywalled and mudded the bedroom. Framed the rest out, built a landing and a bench/tv stand to keep access to our water main open. Hired someone to hang and mud the rest. Hired out the egress window install too.

I eventually want to redo part of our basement too, I’m thinking projector setup and make it a hangout space but geared towards movies.

If I could start over, I think id add some sound proofing to the ceiling. Maybe some foam or something. I'd think for your project that would be a good idea too
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Double post
Calvinball

KYGTIGuy wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 pm I eventually want to redo part of our basement too, I’m thinking projector setup and make it a hangout space but geared towards movies.

If I could start over, I think id add some sound proofing to the ceiling. Maybe some foam or something. I'd think for your project that would be a good idea too
Hmm. I don’t know that I’d get rid of the drop ceiling cause the section I’d probably do has a lot of the plumbing in the ceiling. Would be good to think about though.

KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:18 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote:
Hmm. I don’t know that I’d get rid of the drop ceiling cause the section I’d probably do has a lot of the plumbing in the ceiling. Would be good to think about though.

Remove the drop tile and paint the ceiling, pipes and everything black. I hear that works well. Drop ceiling just makes things feel claustrophobic to me.
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:18 pm Hmm. I don’t know that I’d get rid of the drop ceiling cause the section I’d probably do has a lot of the plumbing in the ceiling. Would be good to think about though.

You can get sound proofing drop tiles too IIRC
Sold.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Can confirm. We yanked down a drop ceiling in our basement and just sprayed everything black. Looks "finished" enough and doesn't make the basement feel too closed in. Our house is old, so the basement isn't that deep. Need all the headroom we can get.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Calvinball

I can stand up with plenty of headroom down there even with the drop ceiling so I dunno. This is many years away regardless.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Painting the ceiling and pipes white would look pretty good too i think.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:21 am Painting the ceiling and pipes white would look pretty good too i think.
That's our laundry room. Provides a more bright, though sterile environment. Which depending on what's going down there is either good or bad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Calvinball wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 am I can stand up with plenty of headroom down there even with the drop ceiling so I dunno. This is many years away regardless.

Depending on the size of the room, it's something that can be done in a weekend. But I get it, low on the priority list if you have plenty of room with the drop ceiling. Still, drop ceiling = :disgust: to me.