Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:26 am Our water heater is 12 years old and we get married on Sunday September 3rd, then drive out of town for a few days on labor day. I expect it to fail catastrophically in the evening on Saturday the 2nd. We'll be busy and stores will be closed. It'll be great.
This same neighbor/plumber once gave me a great piece of advice. He told me to shut off the water when we go out of town. To the whole house at the main shut off. Zero% chance of a leak from a bad water heater, failed washing machine lines, etc. He's personally seen the effects of someone not doing this and having literally hundreds of thousands of gallons of water damage from a raging leak going unchecked for a period of time while someone was out of town. We do this now even if we're gone for just a weekend right after our last last-minute toilet flush before we leave, then just turn it back on as soon as we get home. Massive peace of mind. Maybe you should do the same?
We do that already. The one good thing about having no basement is that the water heater and shutoff valves are at ground level in the hallway just inside from the garage. Easy-ish to :dealwithit:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am
wap wrote:
This same neighbor/plumber once gave me a great piece of advice. He told me to shut off the water when we go out of town. To the whole house at the main shut off. Zero% chance of a leak from a bad water heater, failed washing machine lines, etc. He's personally seen the effects of someone not doing this and having literally hundreds of thousands of gallons of water damage from a raging leak going unchecked for a period of time while someone was out of town. We do this now even if we're gone for just a weekend right after our last last-minute toilet flush before we leave, then just turn it back on as soon as we get home. Massive peace of mind. Maybe you should do the same?
GREAT idea
Seriously. I'm doing this from now on.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 am

Woa, that's a fantastic idea. Takes less than a minute to shut off at the main.
:dat: Best effort-to-peaceofmind ratio ever.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

wap wrote:
Agreed. He has to coordinate with his kid/assistant, who's coming home from school in a couple of weeks. Will probably do it then.

Re 12 year warranty, about 25% of the installed cost of one with a 6 year, or "a couple hundred bucks".
I wouldn't
Agreed. He tried talking me out of paying up for it. Instant :fuckyeah: that he didn't try to upsell me.
wap

wap wrote:
GREAT idea
Inorite!?! So simple. Such effective. Amaze.
I do it all the time now.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:09 pm
wap wrote:
Do you drain the lines too?
Probably wouldn't hurt...or even just turn the sink on and flush a toilet or two to alleviate some pressure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 am
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am

I've never drained any of my water heaters ever. Probably should, but... :iono:
Same. But I imagine if they're used constantly, they probably last longer?

:iono: What fails exactly on water heaters?
My previous one never leaked, but just stopped putting out hot water one morning. Often though, they rust from the inside out, which is where you get your leaking. There is a sacrificial anode rod inside that is supposed to rust over time instead of the tank, but it only lasts for so long. A symptom they can sometimes display is making a gurgling sound. Ususally that's a sign that they're not long for the world. Our last one did that. This one, not yet.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:01 pm
wap wrote:
We do that already. The one good thing about having no basement is that the water heater and shutoff valves are at ground level in the hallway just inside from the garage. Easy-ish to :dealwithit:
:notbad: Then you shouldn't get any leaking.

Ours is easy to get to in our basement too, doe.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:01 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am GREAT idea
Seriously. I'm doing this from now on.
:doit:
Cheapest insurance ever. And keeps your shut off valve in operating order since you actually move it occasionally, so it'll be closable when you really NEED it to be without having to scramble for a wrench.
wap

wap wrote:
Agreed. He tried talking me out of paying up for it. Instant :fuckyeah: that he didn't try to upsell me.
That's a sign of a good service provider
:dat:
Sometimes it pays to hire a neighbor.
wap

wap wrote:
Do you drain the lines too?
Nah.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:01 pm We do that already. The one good thing about having no basement is that the water heater and shutoff valves are at ground level in the hallway just inside from the garage. Easy-ish to :dealwithit:

Replacing them in basements sucks but I guess you probably just pay people to do it for you? :wap: :waxer:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Yup my neighbor told me that when I moved in to my last house. He was an older guy and always asked me if I turned the water off when he knew I was going out of town. My hot water failed the week before we listed it for sale and I was in Detroit for work. My neighbor knew a guy and he replaced it for us at cost +$200. Was like $600 total if I remember correctly.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 pm
wap wrote:

Replacing them in basements sucks but I guess you probably just pay people to do it for you? :wap: :waxer:
Well, yeah. Hiring neighbor plumber dude. I don't know enough about plumbing, current code-approved methods, or monkeying with gas lines, to feel comfortable doing it.
Are you not hiring someone to fix your AC?
wap

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 pm Yup my neighbor told me that when I moved in to my last house. He was an older guy and always asked me if I turned the water off when he knew I was going out of town. My hot water failed the week before we listed it for sale and I was in Detroit for work. My neighbor knew a guy and he replaced it for us at cost +$200. Was like $600 total if I remember correctly.
Yikes! Any water damage?
troyguitar

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:41 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 pm
Well, yeah. Hiring neighbor plumber dude. I don't know enough about plumbing, current code-approved methods, or monkeying with gas lines, to feel comfortable doing it.
A water heater is 3 small pipes and some power (just 2 pipes here since no gas in the neighborhood), it's nearly plug and play and only requires 1 man. An entire HVAC system is a slightly larger endeavor, especially working in a damn attic because no basement. 120+ degrees, no lights, no floor, and I'm :notsure: it is even possible to do the whole thing with 1 man. :foreveralone:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:42 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 pm Yup my neighbor told me that when I moved in to my last house. He was an older guy and always asked me if I turned the water off when he knew I was going out of town. My hot water failed the week before we listed it for sale and I was in Detroit for work. My neighbor knew a guy and he replaced it for us at cost +$200. Was like $600 total if I remember correctly.
Yikes! Any water damage?
Nope my GF was home at the time so she was able to get the water shut off right away plus the basement wasnt finished in my old house so no damage to worry about
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:06 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:41 pm

A water heater is 3 small pipes and some power (just 2 pipes here since no gas in the neighborhood), it's nearly plug and play and only requires 1 man. An entire HVAC system is a slightly larger endeavor, especially working in a damn attic because no basement. 120+ degrees, no lights, no floor, and I'm :notsure: it is even possible to do the whole thing with 1 man. :foreveralone:
Eh. We all have our comfort zones with regard to home repairs. I was doing work recently in my hot attic, too. No bueno. I do most of my electrical stuff (installing ceiling fans, running new outlets, running power to new wall sconces, replacing circuits in the breaker panel) and some plumbing (installing a new garbage disposal, which required new electric line, too, faucet replacements, etc.), and also carpentry ( I built new louvered screens for the attic windoes, repaired soffits on my old shed, built a faux fireplace mantel, radiator covers), painting, etc. I've also remodeled bathrooms, a basement, and an attic. I just don't feel comfortable with this job. :iono: Nor do I especially feel like doing it, more to the point. COULD I do it? Probably. But I will hire someone, because I can. :aintcare: :dealwithit:
wap

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:12 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Yikes! Any water damage?
Nope my GF was home at the time so she was able to get the water shut off right away plus the basement wasnt finished in my old house so no damage to worry about
:alpo: ! Could have been nasty if she wasn't home.
ChrisoftheNorth

Plumbing and HVAC are two things that I :nope: out of doing myself. I'm sure I could do it, I just don't want to. I've tried plumbing, and always end up with leaks. :nope:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm Plumbing and HVAC are two things that I :nope: out of doing myself. I'm sure I could do it, I just don't want to. I've tried plumbing, and always end up with leaks. :nope:
Agreed. Not a fan of plumbing jobs. I always do manage to finish them in the end, but they always take way longer, often with several trips to the hardware store, and elicit much :rage:
Not sure why :mahtroy: is throwing me shade for hiring someone, unless I'm misreading his meaning. :iono:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm Plumbing and HVAC are two things that I :nope: out of doing myself. I'm sure I could do it, I just don't want to. I've tried plumbing, and always end up with leaks. :nope:
Agreed. Not a fan of plumbing jobs. I always do manage to finish them in the end, but they always take way longer, often with several trips to the hardware store, and elicit much :rage:
Not sure why :mahtroy: is throwing me shade for hiring someone, unless I'm misreading his meaning. :iono:
:mahtroy: is just :rage: because he thinks he's poor and that you are just :troywax: your dollhairs because you're rich and can hire people.
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:29 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm

:mahtroy: is just :rage: because he thinks he's poor and that you are just :troywax: your dollhairs because you're rich and can hire people.
:rolleyes:
Broken record is broken.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

wap wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 am

My mom does this religiously now. She came back from a trip from my sister's (she goes there for a month over summer), came back home and one of her toilets cracked. Sprayed water all over. Called me over to help figure it out. Seeped thru a wall and into a bedroom into the carpet. I brought my Bissell and sucked as much as I could.
Total damage was that it got under the wood flooring and buckled nearly everything all the way down the hallway.
Had to be removed and replaced.
We don't leave town often, but plan to cut the water if we do leave.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

my yuge bucket of wall touch up paint is seperated and molded... :disgust:

so I now have to attempt to match the wall color all over my house. every wall is the same color.

So my little sink install project is on hold until it get the wall repair painted. :rage:

and paint at SW is fucking expensive.