Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 am Alright well Johnny gonna be real fucking mad when he finds out r-410a is also being phased out and he has to pay 300 a lb for refrigerant in 8 years on a system top up. I'd take that 2 year gamble on a working system. Hell... I AM. my r-22 ac is real fuckin old...like 1987. Im hoping to not put in new equipment that is IMMEDIATELY obsolete / hella expensive to maintain / not forwards compatible.
https://www.carrierenterprise.com/hvac- ... -phase-out
https://www.coolingpost.com/world-news/ ... rigerants/

Also fuck the epa for fucking around with the coolants every 15 years. Ozone holes? proven false. Global warming potential? fuck that water vapor dwarfs it ALL.
You know what would have been helpful? Leading with this information to give context as to why I should limp a 30yo AC system along. This is something I did not know and is very helpful knowledge.
I see all sides of this. I TOLD Brad about this shit. I was real mad dropping 7400 on 410 when I found out a week later it's phased out. I also did t have any options as the consumer/residential units simply arent being produced yet. In the next 2 years we will see all the new and flammable gas systems in the market. But yeah. 410a days been numbered. Thanks .gov
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

dubshow wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

You know what would have been helpful? Leading with this information to give context as to why I should limp a 30yo AC system along. This is something I did not know and is very helpful knowledge.
I see all sides of this. I TOLD Brad about this shit. I was real mad dropping 7400 on 410 when I found out a week later it's phased out. I also did t have any options as the consumer/residential units simply arent being produced yet. In the next 2 years we will see all the new and flammable gas systems in the market. But yeah. 410a days been numbered. Thanks .gov
Yeah I’m leaning towards fixing the duct and limping it. However I can’t find anyone to fix the duct since it’s so wedged in there and they are all saying they have to remove the air handler to repair the duct. Which I can’t do because R22. Ugh.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm
dubshow wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 am

Yeah I’m leaning towards fixing the duct and limping it. However I can’t find anyone to fix the duct since it’s so wedged in there and they are all saying they have to remove the air handler to repair the duct. Which I can’t do because R22. Ugh.
a real good, low-brow a/c baw can set you up with the blend mix that will limp the system along until a major component failure. If you have no leaks at the core and the compressor holding on, its easy to limp.

the og a/c baw i speak of would be the guy that vents to atmosphere zfg. he'd be rated 3 out of 5 stars. level with that bro, pay upfront/promptly at service with check/cash. dont preach on name brands (premium units). he should have a minimum of saved spare parts hoarded for low budget fixes as well.

a/c's just arent that complex. knowing how/where to source the right part for bandaid repairs is key. The bigger dealer chain's objective is to sell and install then lifetime service your $20k new a/c unit. When in reality, it should be 1/4 of that. There was a great youtube on this for which brands are in which regions. and there are only 3 ppl making these systems, pick the maker that is most common in your region and serviced by the most repair guys. :like:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

the death of my 1994 r-22 trane compressor and 2008 interior core was a stuck expansion valve. The labor to replace that was nearing 50% of a new more effecient unit 410 install. It just made more sense, I also bought the swamp palace knowing the smaller bedroom unit was on borrowed time. But its compressor was still just fine. From my recent run in, I am no long a premium unit fanboi. I've bought 2 units in 8 years at 2 houses. The price increase alone in the last 3 years pushed this decision that Trane, Rheem, etc just arent worth the premium upcharge. Trane especially due to sole sourced components and limited service people/options.

What's egregious is the ruthless sales tactics hvac techs pull... selling a $20 capacitor with 15 mins install time for $500 minimum... :nope:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:45 pm the death of my 1994 r-22 trane compressor and 2008 interior core was a stuck expansion valve. The labor to replace that was nearing 50% of a new more effecient unit 410 install. It just made more sense, I also bought the swamp palace knowing the smaller bedroom unit was on borrowed time. But its compressor was still just fine. From my recent run in, I am no long a premium unit fanboi. I've bought 2 units in 8 years at 2 houses. The price increase alone in the last 3 years pushed this decision that Trane, Rheem, etc just arent worth the premium upcharge. Trane especially due to sole sourced components and limited service people/options.

What's egregious is the ruthless sales tactics hvac techs pull... selling a $20 capacitor with 15 mins install time for $500 minimum... :nope:
A/C is pretty much food and oxygen in the swamp. How people lived there in the 1800s I am not too certain.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Just got a quote to replace all the original stuff at the house.

$20k. It's a dual system: 3 ton main system, with a natural gas furnace, plus a 2-ton heat pump with the air handler wedged in the ceiling in an attic space on the second floor.

My father-in-law works in commercial HVAC. Think I'm going to have one of his guys who does it on the side do it for <$10k total. Shocking how much cheaper it is. Basically, he orders the stuff closer to cost through work. $6500 in materials, and then he can install it himself in under 2 days for $2k-$3k for himself.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:25 pm Just got a quote to replace all the original stuff at the house.

$20k. It's a dual system: 3 ton main system, with a natural gas furnace, plus a 2-ton heat pump with the air handler wedged in the ceiling in an attic space on the second floor.

My father-in-law works in commercial HVAC. Think I'm going to have one of his guys who does it on the side do it for <$10k total. Shocking how much cheaper it is. Basically, he orders the stuff closer to cost through work. $6500 in materials, and then he can install it himself in under 2 days for $2k-$3k for himself.
thats the approach i did with my first system. the mark ups are wild.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

DFD. The forum with lots of father in laws that are HVAC guys.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.