Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:29 pm Anyone have recommendations on quiet window AC units? Looking to buy 2 of them to cool off the upstairs of the house, about 6k-8k BTU each.

in4yourhousesucksyoushouldjustmove
buying a house is stupid ac units are cheap
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:29 pm Anyone have recommendations on quiet window AC units? Looking to buy 2 of them to cool off the upstairs of the house, about 6k-8k BTU each.

in4yourhousesucksyoushouldjustmove
I wanted mini splits last year. Cost was $10k so that was NGH. :disappoint: Oh well, poverty wall unit downstairs and window AC upstairs works I guess.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:49 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:40 pm

I wanted mini splits last year. Cost was $10k so that was NGH. :disappoint: Oh well, poverty wall unit downstairs and window AC upstairs works I guess.
Mini splits are :waxer: but 5/7. I love mine.

Would probably recoup most of that investment at time of sale, no?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Probably. I'd have done it anyway regardless of the cost. But, not my house so I have basically no say in the matter. Same as re-using the vinyl floors and horrible tile walls in the kitchen. :aintcare: The big wall unit works well, we replaced the 1970's one last year, and the new model is quieter and more powerful so that's good. Keeps the whole downstairs cool.

Really just looking for quieter window units in the bedrooms at this point. We have 3 and they're all loud and rather old. One is quiet-ish but I'm not sure it actually does anything to cool the room.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Probably. I'd have done it anyway regardless of the cost. But, not my house so I have basically no say in the matter. Same as re-using the vinyl floors and horrible tile walls in the kitchen. :aintcare: The big wall unit works well, we replaced the 1970's one last year, and the new model is quieter and more powerful so that's good. Keeps the whole downstairs cool.

Really just looking for quieter window units in the bedrooms at this point. We have 3 and they're all loud and rather old. One is quiet-ish but I'm not sure it actually does anything to cool the room.
Oh, right...that living in the free house thing. :notbad:

I know nothing about window units. I suggested it once and :tits: went full :triggered: about how tacky they look or something.

:iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 pm

I know nothing about window units. I suggested it once and :tits: went full :triggered: about how tacky they look or something.

White plastic box in a window or white plastic box on a wall, not much different IMO. Only way mini splits are functionally different is they detach the compressor/condenser unit and relocate it elsewhere so they're quiet, which is super nice. Only thing I don't like about window AC units is they make quite a racket.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:24 pm

White plastic box in a window or white plastic box on a wall, not much different IMO. Only way mini splits are functionally different is they detach the compressor/condenser unit and relocate it elsewhere so they're quiet, which is super nice. Only thing I don't like about window AC units is they make quite a racket.
From the outside, you've got those big ugly boxes hanging out of the window, but yea...from the inside is minimal difference.

They are dead silent, and surprisingly efficient.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:33 pm

From the outside, you've got those big ugly boxes hanging out of the window, but yea...from the inside is minimal difference.

Oh yeah for sure. And that absolutely matters in a case like your house, where it was probably the inspiration for JRR Tolkien to write the Hobbit and LOTR novels. A buzzy window AC unit dripping mold water all over the place would detract significantly and I think you guys made the right choice there.

My house you can't even see the front of the 2nd floor from the street because of how narrow the street is and the giant tree that's in front of it. And the back yard, who cares in South Philly, because even if your house doesn't have one your neighbors do and it's buzzing its ass off if it's warm out. But the noise is something you can't escape with a window AC... it's loud inside the room and that really fucking sucks.

Yeah I really wanted the mini splits for the quiet operation and the "leave it up all year" aspect. Coupled with heat pump action when it's only cool out to save a buck.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That's the sound of the arctic wind, brah. The sound of comfort! Particularly in the bedroom, I love the white noise.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:21 pm

That's the sound of the arctic wind, brah. The sound of comfort! Particularly in the bedroom, I love the white noise.
White noise is good in moderation. I'd just like a bit less of it :lol:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:21 pm

:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Oh yeah for sure. And that absolutely matters in a case like your house, where it was probably the inspiration for JRR Tolkien to write the Hobbit and LOTR novels. A buzzy window AC unit dripping mold water all over the place would detract significantly and I think you guys made the right choice there.

My house you can't even see the front of the 2nd floor from the street because of how narrow the street is and the giant tree that's in front of it. And the back yard, who cares in South Philly, because even if your house doesn't have one your neighbors do and it's buzzing its ass off if it's warm out. But the noise is something you can't escape with a window AC... it's loud inside the room and that really fucking sucks.

Yeah I really wanted the mini splits for the quiet operation and the "leave it up all year" aspect. Coupled with heat pump action when it's only cool out to save a buck.
I underrated the heat pump aspect. As soon as it gets above freezing, boiler off and the heat pumps are more efficient.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

GC helped me move the stove out, removed drawers and a couple of trim pieces and two guys from the counter top company buzzed a half inch off of either side of the opening while running a wet vac to capture 95% of the debris. Somehow I still don't think that my GC felt responsible for the mistake so instead of arguing I graciously paid the miniscule $150 the countertop guys wanted for their time.

I'm really happy that he helped me out and I don't hold it against him. I'm sure that he adjusted his process after my fiasco.
ImageImage
wap

That was gracious of you and the result is 5/7. You won't miss that $150. :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:That was gracious of you and the result is 5/7. You won't miss that $150. :like:
Thanks Wap! Yeah i won't miss it and feel like the whole job has been a matter of give and take depending on what the change/correction was and which one of us was more responsible for the flaw; and in this and a couple other cases just like it, when pride was on the line. I feel like we will remain good friends which will help us both out in the long run. The guy is really 5/7.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 pm
wap wrote:That was gracious of you and the result is 5/7. You won't miss that $150. :like:
Thanks Wap! Yeah i won't miss it and feel like the whole job has been a matter of give and take depending on what the change/correction was and which one of us was more responsible for the flaw; and in this and a couple other cases just like it, when pride was on the line. I feel like we will remain good friends which will help us both out in the long run. The guy is really 5/7.
Good move. You'll likely need a contractor again in the future so it was smart to not burn a bridge.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:14 pm Thanks Wap! Yeah i won't miss it and feel like the whole job has been a matter of give and take depending on what the change/correction was and which one of us was more responsible for the flaw; and in this and a couple other cases just like it, when pride was on the line. I feel like we will remain good friends which will help us both out in the long run. The guy is really 5/7.
Good move. You'll likely need a contractor again in the future so it was smart to not burn a bridge.
:dat:

Dis mofo getting hired for all the things. At least this way he doesnt feel like he needs to pad his quotes "just in case"
Johnny_P

Good call, Mario. $150 is pretty minor fee to get that corrected. I know GF's parents paid a lot more than that to get an adult sized sink installed after the fact in our house.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Looks great. And even though you disagree with the contractor, the $150 is just "bridge" maintenance, like WAP said. Especially if you like his other work and want him to do work for you in the future instead of him being "too busy" when you call.

How do you like induction?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:Good call, Mario. $150 is pretty minor fee to get that corrected. I know GF's parents paid a lot more than that to get an adult sized sink installed after the fact in our house.
KYGTIGuy wrote:Looks great. And even though you disagree with the contractor, the $150 is just "bridge" maintenance, like WAP said. Especially if you like his other work and want him to do work for you in the future instead of him being "too busy" when you call.

How do you like induction?
Yeah guys fully in agreement. There's a time and place to :crang: but this wasn't it. I'm kind of surprised the guy didn't want to pick up the tab but I'm not madbro.

The induction stove is :mindblown:

Water literally goes from cold to rapid boiling in 2 minutes, food starts cooking that fast too. It is kind of peculiar because it runs fans under the cooking surface that blow vigorously on my nads when the top is on.
Moving the pots leaves a warm to the touch surface thats easy to clean because it didn't bake on any overflow.
The surface needs to stay clean, especially with sugar products. That can cause pitting from what I read in the owner's manual.

I had to take the back cover off of the stove when it was out and put rubber gasket material around the contact surfaces because the oven fan kicks in and rattles the cover, amplifying the fan noise. Way quieter now that the cover sits snuggly on rubber.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

its like fucking 2006 never happened.
let's discuss.

The interest rate aint set in stone
LOLZ at your 4.5% increase in home values. Just fucking LOLZ
I assume monthly payment maths is copent enough

Monthly savings.... LOL @ 168 car payment
Annually..... LOL @ caribbean vacation, maybe for ONE person
LOL, if you have that kind of CC debt YOU SHOULD NOT BE BUYING A FUCKING HOUSE

over 30 years....LOL you are going to do a calculation like that and not talk about inflation or cost of money :lolol:

Hold on to your butts people
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 am Image

let's discuss.

over 30 years....LOL you are going to do a calculation like that and not talk about inflation or cost of money :lolol:

Anxiously awaiting the crash. I'd love for it to happen and hit a good low by December.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

let's discuss.

:dillerman: gonna :dillerman:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote:

let's discuss.

over 30 years....LOL you are going to do a calculation like that and not talk about inflation or cost of money Imageol:

Anxiously awaiting the crash. I'd love for it to happen and hit a good low by December.
Same here, we are feeling some softening in our market. I'd love to pick up a condo or something on the cheap if the opportunity presents itself.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I just noticed that it was a local advertisement. I'm sure it was distributed by the home office, but :bruh:
That adds some layers of humor into it.

Get the house in the land of milk and honey folks! Before the minorities move in!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.