Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 pm Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

:millennial:
Do the growlers in the upper left say "Sharts" on them?

If so, :hue:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:59 am

You need a hanging pot rack with a set of copper or copper bottom pota over that island.

Set it off
Believe it or not, I suggested it. I had to patch the ceiling there (the plaster was falling down from a bad patch job before) and figured I wouldn't have to put as much effort into patching it if I was hanging a big thing there.

She said it would be "too cluttered".

Like everything else isn't?!?

:wtf: :tits: :roasted:
I see what she is saying but you could get a small one. And it would be functional for that kinda kitchen with limited uppers
Last edited by KYGTIGuy on Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:iono:

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am
Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:19 pm Speaking of end results, here's how our DIY Pinshit renno turned out...

:lolol: Would be epic, but no...

ShOrt's...It's my favorite large microbrewery in Michigan. We've got like 4 growlers from them because the brewery is 4 hours away and every time we go, I forgot to bring a growler and end up buying another.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 am
Believe it or not, I suggested it. I had to patch the ceiling there (the plaster was falling down from a bad patch job before) and figured I wouldn't have to put as much effort into patching it if I was hanging a big thing there.

She said it would be "too cluttered".

Like everything else isn't?!?

:wtf: :tits: :roasted:
I see what she is saying but you could get a small on. And it would be functional for that kinda kitchen work limited uppers
All of the pots are in the lower right (of the range) cabinet. They all fit in there. We use the griddle on the range for 90% of our cooking (I'm surprised how much we use it, actually) and we have two cast iron pans that do the rest. She's surprisingly not into having a ton of cookware.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Shorts Brewery. It's a Michigan thang man, you would'nt even
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:08 am

I see what she is saying but you could get a small on. And it would be functional for that kinda kitchen work limited uppers
All of the pots are in the lower right (of the range) cabinet. They all fit in there. We use the griddle on the range for 90% of our cooking (I'm surprised how much we use it, actually) and we have two cast iron pans that do the rest. She's surprisingly not into having a ton of cookware.
Tell her DFD said she was :wrong: and just do it.

It's time she learned
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:18 am

Made with Flint water?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Anyway, it looks amazing. Kitchen DIY is ballsy to take on and you pulled it off well.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 am

Made with Flint water?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 am

wifes takes on pinshit project while husband is away: neighbor finishes. Also painting is hard. :rolleyes:
Jokes aside, how did you do this? My wife wanted the same thing with a added bench. In was going to build a price of furniture but I like the built in idea.

Is that some 1x attached to some kind of paint grade ply?
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:23 am

Made with Flint water?
:roasted:

Short's is way far from Flint. Beer is made with Lake Michigan water most likely.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:25 am Anyway, it looks horrendous. Kitchen DIY is ballsy to take on and you fucked it up well.
FTFY

There are no compliments on DFD. Everything any of us do is :wrong: and :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:03 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:11 am

wifes takes on pinshit project while husband is away: neighbor finishes. Also painting is hard. :rolleyes:
Jokes aside, how did you do this? My wife wanted the same thing with a added bench. In was going to build a price of furniture but I like the built in idea.

Yea, just 1x (whatever width) attached to ply attached to the wall. If it were my :tits: it would just be stained ply, she hates painted trim.

If you were adding a bench, I'd seriously consider making it a box with a hinged top so you can put boots and what not in it. Pretty simple to execute. Depending on the style, you could just use 4x4's at each corner and middle (assuming you used 1x4's along the wall) and just run ply between them. Some quarter round or something around the bottom and you're done.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:03 am

Yea, just 1x (whatever width) attached to ply attached to the wall. If it were my :tits: it would just be stained ply, she hates painted trim.

If you were adding a bench, I'd seriously consider making it a box with a hinged top so you can put boots and what not in it. Pretty simple to execute. Depending on the style, you could just use 4x4's at each corner and middle (assuming you used 1x4's along the wall) and just run ply between them. Some quarter round or something around the bottom and you're done.
Big ass piano hinge or some euro and hidden?

Piano would be easier but euro hinge would be more interesting to build and I could brag more to my unhandy neighbors
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:28 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 am

Piano would be easier but euro hinge would be more interesting to build and I could brag more to my unhandy neighbors
I'd probably piano hinge if going for something nice. In my case, I'd probably have to put some giant iron fence gate hinges on it. Even easier yet.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:28 am

I'd probably piano hinge if going for something nice. In my case, I'd probably have to put some giant iron fence gate hinges on it. Even easier yet.

Noice
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Contractor wants 10k to put in floor drain tile and a sump pump for our basement.

Thinking of just doing the sump and the taking our chances. 10k buys a lot of carpet . We could afford to replace carpet every 4 years for 30 years if it happens again at that price
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:58 pm Contractor wants 10k to put in floor drain tile and a sump pump for our basement.

Thinking of just doing the sump and the taking our chances. 10k buys a lot of carpet . We could afford to replace carpet every 4 years for 30 years if it happens again at that price
Have you done the simple things first? Made sure the gutters dump out from the house and the ground is graded away?

Or do you have water coming up through the floor drains?
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

I'm building trump wall 2.0 at my gfs parents tomorrow. Their yard is fenced on 3 sides so just finishing the front off with the same split rail style I did in my yard
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:36 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:58 pm Contractor wants 10k to put in floor drain tile and a sump pump for our basement.

Have you done the simple things first? Made sure the gutters dump out from the house and the ground is graded away?

Or do you have water coming up through the floor drains?
We don't even have a sump at this point. Seems to flood every few years as is, which isn't bad considering nothing has been done.

The only time we know it's happened is back in February which turned out to be the 2nd biggest flood on GR recorded history and once in 2013 which was #1.

Nothing coming through the actual drain bit water was coming up in the gap between the slab and drain, which is a maybe 1mm wide.

We had ice destroy a gutter right over where the majority of water came in then. Ive fixed it since.

I'm calling someone to price grading the yard to see what that will cost.
ChrisoftheNorth

My house doesn't have a sump pump...and it stays dry. Getting water away from the house helps the most. Grading, river rock (like zil suggested), extending the gutters out, etc goes a long way. Sounds to me that you have water running down the side of the house and pooling under the slab. IMO a sump pump masks a potentially bigger issue. Outside work can be done on your own over a weekend for near free unless the grade is really screwed.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:40 pm My house doesn't have a sump pump...and it stays dry. Getting water away from the house helps the most. Grading, river rock (like zil suggested), extending the gutters out, etc goes a long way. Sounds to me that you have water running down the side of the house and pooling under the slab. IMO a sump pump masks a potentially bigger issue. Outside work can be done on your own over a weekend for near free unless the grade is really screwed.
We live on a slight grade. The rest of our street flows down to us. I'd like to put in a French drain running from back yard to just past the front of the house on the high side. From there it would flow to the city sewer. That would be the cheapest. All grunt work and 100 feet or whatever of PVC and some gravel.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:40 pm My house doesn't have a sump pump...and it stays dry. Getting water away from the house helps the most. Grading, river rock (like zil suggested), extending the gutters out, etc goes a long way. Sounds to me that you have water running down the side of the house and pooling under the slab. IMO a sump pump masks a potentially bigger issue. Outside work can be done on your own over a weekend for near free unless the grade is really screwed.
We live on a slight grade. The rest of our street flows down to us. I'd like to put in a French drain running from back yard to just past the front of the house on the high side. From there it would flow to the city sewer. That would be the cheapest. All grunt work and 100 feet or whatever of PVC and some gravel.
That's the winning solution, IMO.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Anyone have recommendations on quiet window AC units? Looking to buy 2 of them to cool off the upstairs of the house, about 6k-8k BTU each.

in4yourhousesucksyoushouldjustmove