Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:41 pm
Thanks for the insight - was planning a trip to the store tomorrow about an hour away to see everything in person.

MDF is :flaccid:

I'd much rather go with a 100% wood construction, just hard to find these days.
Agreed....

I was fed up with shopping over the last month and after seeing the options I finally said "Fuck it, let's spend this money ONE MORE TIME and buy something made in the USA from solid wood." to the wife. Expensive as fuck :doe:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

I just made sure I was born to a family with a furniture maker ancestor. Way easier than all this shopping around nonsense you guise are doing.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball

[user not found] wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:12 pm I just made sure I was born to a family with a furniture maker ancestor. Way easier than all this shopping around nonsense you guise are doing.

:sass:
Ol Percy specialized in mahogany.

Right now we just have our bedroom set in curly maple, but there's a ton of mahogany pieces in the family that will stay in the family.

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Another option is to hit up a few antique stores or fairs. You can sometimes find some very well made antique pieces for not :ludacris: monies. Some years ago I found a dining room set for my mom at a monthly outdoor antique fair, made in the 1920's that consisted of a table with built in retractable leaves, 6 chairs, and a matching china cabinet, all in walnut and all for $1300. Perfect condition and very well made.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Calvinball

wap wrote:Another option is to hit up a few antique stores or fairs. You can sometimes find some very well made antique pieces for not :ludacris: monies. Some years ago I found a dining room set for my mom at a monthly outdoor antique fair, made in the 1920's that consisted of a table with built in retractable leaves, 6 chairs, and a matching china cabinet, all in walnut and all for $1300. Perfect condition and very well made.
Just fair warning: "antiques" in a big antique area round here (bucks county) are often not antiques and also can be less than super well made.

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Yesterday when talking to a friend about wanting a new bedroom set, he recommended going to one of the real Amish furniture places we have around here. I would imagine in your area one would not be hard to find. He said they got their dining set at one and it was pretty insane, they asked for measurements he wanted and they made it all custom from cherry wood and the price was not as insane as you might think.
wap

Calvinball wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:21 am
wap wrote:Another option is to hit up a few antique stores or fairs. You can sometimes find some very well made antique pieces for not :ludacris: monies. Some years ago I found a dining room set for my mom at a monthly outdoor antique fair, made in the 1920's that consisted of a table with built in retractable leaves, 6 chairs, and a matching china cabinet, all in walnut and all for $1300. Perfect condition and very well made.
Just fair warning: "antiques" in a big antique area round here (bucks county) are often not antiques and also can be less than super well made.

Well you do have to know what you're looking for and learn how to recognize legit antique construction methods, fasteners, etc.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am
Calvinball wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:21 am

I also don’t like antique styled furniture much. :iono:

I prefer MCM and blocky/geometric furniture.
That's fine. You have to pick what makes you happy. I prefer the quality materials and construction methods of old stuff, plus I have an 111 year old house and I tried to pick pieces that would work in it.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:11 am Yesterday when talking to a friend about wanting a new bedroom set, he recommended going to one of the real Amish furniture places we have around here. I would imagine in your area one would not be hard to find. He said they got their dining set at one and it was pretty insane, they asked for measurements he wanted and they made it all custom from cherry wood and the price was not as insane as you might think.
Another good option. They use old-timey construction methods still.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1305244847

I need chairs... might try to convince wifey to do these, possibly need to paint them white or grey and do something with the fabric.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:Yesterday when talking to a friend about wanting a new bedroom set, he recommended going to one of the real Amish furniture places we have around here. I would imagine in your area one would not be hard to find. He said they got their dining set at one and it was pretty insane, they asked for measurements he wanted and they made it all custom from cherry wood and the price was not as insane as you might think.
Our bedroom stuff was also made in an Amish paradise. It's 5/7 and not cheap but not much more expensive than the typical furniture store particle board crap.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 pm
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1305244847

I need chairs... might try to convince wifey to do these, possibly need to paint them white or grey and do something with the fabric.
There you go. :megusta:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 pm https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1305244847

There you go. :megusta:
:dat:
Massive :boner: for these right now

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Bought the 1800s french chairs for $100 CAD/piece. Sice the wood is a totally different color and type we are going to paint them. The guy selling them is some VP of a large printing supply co. :waxer: Im going to pick them up next week at his office which happens to be very close to my office.
Calvinball

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote:Image

:dat:
Going to need to figure out what I'm doing about the seat cushions. The stupid things were just re-upholstered, but i don't think the color will work.
Calvinball

I have some antique chair frames I eventually need to get cleaned up and upholstered, wonder how much that'll be.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote:I have some antique chair frames I eventually need to get cleaned up and upholstered, wonder how much that'll be.

Thats the problem, probably a lot. I did a kids arm chair. It was $250 to have done. These will likely be $50-100 each
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 pm Bought the 1800s french chairs for $100 CAD/piece. Sice the wood is a totally different color and type we are going to paint them. The guy selling them is some VP of a large printing supply co. :waxer: Im going to pick them up next week at his office which happens to be very close to my office.
:fuckyeah: Nice!
As old as they are they'll likely outlast you.
wap

Calvinball wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 pm I have some antique chair frames I eventually need to get cleaned up and upholstered, wonder how much that'll be.

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:05 pm
Calvinball wrote:I have some antique chair frames I eventually need to get cleaned up and upholstered, wonder how much that'll be.

Thats the problem, probably a lot. I did a kids arm chair. It was $250 to have done. These will likely be $50-100 each
I reupholstered my chairs about 20 years ago myself with just some foam and tacks and they're all still nice and tight. All it cost was the price of the fabric and a box of tacks. I'd use staples if I did it again, :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 pm I have some antique chair frames I eventually need to get cleaned up and upholstered, wonder how much that'll be.

I reupholstered my chairs about 20 years ago myself with just some foam and tacks and they're all still nice and tight. All it cost was the price of the fabric and a box of tacks. I'd use staples if I did it again, :doe:[/quote]Oh nice, i might give it a go before i ship them off. Sounds like a 5/7 project. :scrooge:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:15 pm
wap wrote:Thats the problem, probably a lot. I did a kids arm chair. It was $250 to have done. These will likely be $50-100 each
I reupholstered my chairs about 20 years ago myself with just some foam and tacks and they're all still nice and tight. All it cost was the price of the fabric and a box of tacks. I'd use staples if I did it again, :doe:
Oh nice, i might give it a go before i ship them off. Sounds like a 5/7 project. :scrooge:
[/quote]

Totally doable, just take your time.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelphia/ ... e/40301597

2-1/2 blocks from my house. $240k. :facepalm:

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:53 pm https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelphia/ ... e/40301597

That would be an epic place to :troywax: on the shity lyfe. Build a loft above it and wax your :stig: car below.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:53 pm https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelphia/ ... e/40301597

That would be an epic place to :troywax: on the shity lyfe. Build a loft above it and wax your :stig: car below.
Yeah tear it down and build an epic $700k house. $240k for that shitty building and plot of land doe. Kill me now.

This juan is down the street for reference. I don't remember what was there before, I think it was a vacant lot.
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelphia/ ... /113202574

Pretty nice overall. $700k. Blah.

But you're right. Get that, find an architect, and build a 2nd floor living space on top of it. It's rare in that it's a double length garage. Most of the time these type of garages are used for food truck or food cart storage. If you did the living space addition you'd need to make it 2 bedroom minimum or it wouldn't be worth shit on the market.