MrH goes full Jetson House

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Didn't realize we had a housing subforum. I posted this in my garage thread, but I figured I'll put stuff here if people are interested.

Under contract on this house:

We're doing a lot of boring stuff: paint, carpet, some new furniture, all new door hardware, etc. The real fun stuff; now that I know I'm going into a house I'll be at for awhile, I can go all out with the smart home stuff. Here are the rough plans by room. It'll probably take me a year to get this all done, but I'll provide updates as I go if anyone is interested in it.

Living Room
- LG OLED of some type. Still need to decide if we go 65" or 77". Wall mount just above the media center furniture we bought recently
- Samsung Q950A or Q950T, or something cheaper - I don't have surround speaker wires in place in this room, so fancy sound bar will probably do.
- Apple TV 4k

Theater
- BenQ X1300i projector
- Possible stadium style, 2 tier theater seats
- Yamaha TSR-700 + Klipsch Dolby Atmos reference speakers
- All game consoles hooked up to this + Apple TV 4k
- Projector screen, somewhere between 120-150". Need to play around with the space and lay things out.
- All my Philips Hue recessed lights are going in for movie scene mode
- Smart blinds are some point to block out the windows

Gym - reusing everything else I've got
- old 43" TCL
- old Apple TV
- old Yamaha RX-A780 receiver
- Onkyo surround speakers

Whole home audio:
- Monoprice 6x6 matrix amp and controller
- Belkin soundform airplay 2 boxes

I think I'll have 4 or 5 in ceiling zones + homepod speakers in the bedroom & garage + soundbar in living room + receiver in theater + receiver in gym, all will be airplay 2 capable. Should be an awesome setup.

Smart Home
- Logitech Circle View exterior cameras
- Logitech Circle door bell (once they fix the issues)
- Nest thermostats and carbon monoxide and fire alarms + starling hub to connect to homekit
- Probably wire the old ADT style security system in with one of these retrofit boxes from Ring or Simplisafe
- Homebridge to connect the non-native Homekit stuff
- Lutron Caseta switches throughout
- Lutron Aurora for Hue bulb stuff
- A water detector for the sump pump area
- Garage opener retrofit on all 3 doors
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

MrH42 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am Didn't realize we had a housing subforum. I posted this in my garage thread, but I figured I'll put stuff here if people are interested.

Under contract on this house:

We're doing a lot of boring stuff: paint, carpet, some new furniture, all new door hardware, etc. The real fun stuff; now that I know I'm going into a house I'll be at for awhile, I can go all out with the smart home stuff. Here are the rough plans by room. It'll probably take me a year to get this all done, but I'll provide updates as I go if anyone is interested in it.

Living Room
- LG OLED of some type. Still need to decide if we go 65" or 77". Wall mount just above the media center furniture we bought recently
- Samsung Q950A or Q950T, or something cheaper - I don't have surround speaker wires in place in this room, so fancy sound bar will probably do.
- Apple TV 4k

Theater
- BenQ X1300i projector
- Possible stadium style, 2 tier theater seats
- Yamaha TSR-700 + Klipsch Dolby Atmos reference speakers
- All game consoles hooked up to this + Apple TV 4k
- Projector screen, somewhere between 120-150". Need to play around with the space and lay things out.
- All my Philips Hue recessed lights are going in for movie scene mode
- Smart blinds are some point to block out the windows

Gym - reusing everything else I've got
- old 43" TCL
- old Apple TV
- old Yamaha RX-A780 receiver
- Onkyo surround speakers

Whole home audio:
- Monoprice 6x6 matrix amp and controller
- Belkin soundform airplay 2 boxes

I think I'll have 4 or 5 in ceiling zones + homepod speakers in the bedroom & garage + soundbar in living room + receiver in theater + receiver in gym, all will be airplay 2 capable. Should be an awesome setup.

Smart Home
- Logitech Circle View exterior cameras
- Logitech Circle door bell (once they fix the issues)
- Nest thermostats and carbon monoxide and fire alarms + starling hub to connect to homekit
- Probably wire the old ADT style security system in with one of these retrofit boxes from Ring or Simplisafe
- Homebridge to connect the non-native Homekit stuff
- Lutron Caseta switches throughout
- Lutron Aurora for Hue bulb stuff
- A water detector for the sump pump area
- Garage opener retrofit on all 3 doors
:impressive: Shes a beaut! All the best!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Sick house... It has a lot of great features and nice to have a ravine lot! Congrats man.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I can't recommend an ALR theater screen more if you have windows in the theater room. Not cheap, but the picture quality is fantastic EVEN if there's lights on. I hung a power roll down screen in my living room thats all windows behind the screen, it's incredible how decent it looks in what might be the worst environment for a projector possible. I hung a blackout shade on some bigger windows and while not perfectly dark, the screen is very viewable.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and nest smoke alarms are game changers with the nightlight feature. Nobody talks about it, but it's the best thing about them. Makes a rarely used box on the ceiling something you utilize constantly.

Costco sells a multipack that's the best deal I could find. I have 6 through the house.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Go 77" on the OLED. My TV is 75" and I'm sure my living room is much smaller. It feels laughably big for a day or two, then you think to yourself "boy I'm glad I didn't get the smaller one this is perfect"
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 pm Oh man, that's a lot of smartness going into this :haus:

Nice place.

Highly recommend Yamaha soundbars, if you decide on going that route.
They're Airplay 2 compatible it looks like too :jizz: They're on the list to look into, thanks!
Detroit wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:15 am I can't recommend an ALR theater screen more if you have windows in the theater room. Not cheap, but the picture quality is fantastic EVEN if there's lights on. I hung a power roll down screen in my living room thats all windows behind the screen, it's incredible how decent it looks in what might be the worst environment for a projector possible. I hung a blackout shade on some bigger windows and while not perfectly dark, the screen is very viewable.
I'm definitely doing some type of screen, and then some smart shades to all the windows so we can black it out for movie watching. There's a huge range of screens and reviews though, so it's going to take some research.

Current owner is projecting on the wall. That's some hood rat shit.
Detroit wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am Oh, and nest smoke alarms are game changers with the nightlight feature. Nobody talks about it, but it's the best thing about them. Makes a rarely used box on the ceiling something you utilize constantly.

Costco sells a multipack that's the best deal I could find. I have 6 through the house.
I'm still trying to figure out Thermostat and alarms. I've had a nest for years and been happy with it, but it doesn't connect natively to Apple's Homekit. So I've been running a Starling Bridge to get the two to talk. I'm probably going to continue that and get Nests for thermostat and alarms, but need to double check that there isn't a better option that has native homekit support. Ecobee thermostats do, but I think they're ugly.
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:14 pm Go 77" on the OLED. My TV is 75" and I'm sure my living room is much smaller. It feels laughably big for a day or two, then you think to yourself "boy I'm glad I didn't get the smaller one this is perfect"
I have a 70" now. The price difference between the 77" and 65" though... :triggered:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I closed yesterday and met the sellers.

All the speakers in the ceiling throughout the house apparently work great. I was going to do a 6 channel amp/matrix controller, with 6 airplay zones. They just wired them all to one receiver, and controlled each room with the built in volume knobs. A much cheaper option for sure, but then you're only able to play one set of music/podcast in the house at a time, and every time you cast it, it will play in every room unless they're turned down or off.

I'll probably try to this to start, and then eventually expand it with multiple zones.

Oh, and the entire house has ethernet wired everywhere :heavybreathing:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am Oh, and nest smoke alarms are game changers with the nightlight feature. Nobody talks about it, but it's the best thing about them. Makes a rarely used box on the ceiling something you utilize constantly.

:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Are they hardwired? All of my smoke alarms are not ... :yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:06 pm

They sell both kinds
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:06 pm

They sell both kinds
Well I’m assuming a night light is short lived without constant power …
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:26 pm

They sell both kinds
I had battery ones at the last house and they went 2 years without needing the batteries changed.
We sold the house with the original batteries in them working great.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:48 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:33 pm

I had battery ones at the last house and they went 2 years without needing the batteries changed.
:mindblown: will check out
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:48 pm
:mindblown: will check out
I was amazed too. The lights aren't bright, but when your eyes are adjusted to the dark, they shine the perfect amount to see where you're going.

Our current house has them hardwired with battery backup. Had a power outage last night, no lights work, but the smoke detector night lights did. Amazingly helpful.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Needs more pedestal height:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Well, it's started. We're mostly moved in. Tons of boxes still to unpack, but it's livable.

- All the theater area lights are now Hue downlights.
- Added some switches for them
- Ordered a new overhead light for the office
- Two nest thermometers ordered
- All new bulbs and housings for the rest of the house

Probably the only thing of interest:

- Bought a smart garage module because I read great reviews about it. Instruction were kind of lacking, but I figured it out. For $35, you can link your garage door to HomeKit or whatever your home automation weapon of choice. It's slick. When I tell the house I'm going to bed, it'll close any open garage doors. I can also drive the S2000 without a garage door opener. Just swipe down on my phone and click it. If you have CarPlay going, it will actually suggest it on the home screen as you approach your house. really slick.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Can vouch for the LG OLED. Once you go pure black, you'll never go back.

Somehow I survived years not knowing I needed it though.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I forgot I made this thread. It was mostly about tech stuff for the house, but basically since we moved in:

- All the stair balusters and hand rails got ripped out and replaced. Used to be large wood balusters painted white. Now they're thin, more modern iron that's black.
- Wood floors all got refinished. Sanded down from that orange/yellow 90's and stained a more neutral medium brown color.
- Carpet is getting replaced in the next month or two
- Costco sectional for the basement
- Had to buy a new refrigerator, washer & dryer, and dishwasher :rage:

- Living room ended up with a 75" mini-led TV (TCL 75r646) + Sonos sound bar
- Theater got a 135" screen + BenQ X3000i projector. It can do 4k @ 60 hz, 1080p @ 240 hz, and only 16 ms response time
- Sound has been a huge pain in the ass. Bought a big amp to drive the whole home audio, but haven't done anything with it yet.
- Have all the theater stuff mounted on an AV rack in the basement
- Still working on wiring it all to this spot. I think I just have 2 more runs of 4 speaker wire leads left to solder and wrap up
- Bought controllers, massive HDMI cable, USB extension, IR repeater that I need to run to connect PC in my office to theater
- I now have Arcade1up cabinets lining the back wall of the theater area: Marvel vs Capcom 2, NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, and Golden Tee. It's the best.

I've started running out of steam and desire to spend money the last few months. Need to make a final push to wrap up some of this stuff in the next few weeks.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:impressive:
In4pics
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Finally got the PC hooked up to the media center. I was right, definitely had to run a huge USB extension to get the Xbox controller adapter in the theater room. Only getting 1080p @ 60hz currently. Looks like the HDMI cable from the projector to the AV rack is only HDMI 1.slow. Of course, a 15 foot hdmi 2 cable is like $20. But 20 ft is $105 :rage: So tired of dumping money into this. I just want it to be finished.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 am Finally got the PC hooked up to the media center. I was right, definitely had to run a huge USB extension to get the Xbox controller adapter in the theater room. Only getting 1080p @ 60hz currently. Looks like the HDMI cable from the projector to the AV rack is only HDMI 1.slow. Of course, a 15 foot hdmi 2 cable is like $20. But 20 ft is $105 :rage: So tired of dumping money into this. I just want it to be finished.
I have a need for detachable head HDMI cable so I can run the cable through conduit in the wall to the soundbar. Detachable head is in wall rated 25 foot or longer only, 80 bucks+. I only need an 8 foot cable which are free.com. :sad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Dang man, pretty impressive project. It’s funny, I have access to all this stuff for like pennies through work but just don’t really care to run wire through the house so haven’t bothered. I need to install my Control4 stuff, all sitting in boxes. Just so much effort lolz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

How do you like the BenQ? We distribute those and we have large venue options for my business but no one seems to want them. Seems like a nice product.