Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
68%
Rent it
20%
:crang: in mom's basement
8%
:dong: grabbing frat house
3%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
3%

Total votes: 40
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: CT

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 pm Ugh, doin adult things. Gotta get set up before hurricane season ends because I don't wanna deal with no power again.
I found out I can convert it over to natural gas so I'll likely be doing more research on the exact parts I need. I've got an outlet from the previous homeowner right on my patio that was likely for a bbq pit. Gonna see about opening that valve and being able to run this from it so I don't have to deal with fuel shortages. I could of gone bigger, but I didn't really want to spend much more money and this'll cover most of what I need for just a fridge and some big fans and maybe some other bullshit.

:ohdang:

We lost power for 4 days a month ago, and it BLEW since we're on a well which means no water. I've been debating buying a Predator invertor generator after my little 2000w one I take camping saved the day by running both the fridge and the chest freezer in the garage, this one to power the whole house...
https://www.harborfreight.com/8750-watt ... 57480.html

I didn't know they could be converted to natural gas, so I'm quite interested in following along. Not dealing with gasoline would be fantastic.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:59 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:03 pm Ugh, doin adult things. Gotta get set up before hurricane season ends because I don't wanna deal with no power again.
I found out I can convert it over to natural gas so I'll likely be doing more research on the exact parts I need. I've got an outlet from the previous homeowner right on my patio that was likely for a bbq pit. Gonna see about opening that valve and being able to run this from it so I don't have to deal with fuel shortages. I could of gone bigger, but I didn't really want to spend much more money and this'll cover most of what I need for just a fridge and some big fans and maybe some other bullshit.

We lost power for 4 days a month ago, and it BLEW since we're on a well which means no water. I've been debating buying a Predator invertor generator after my little 2000w one I take camping saved the day by running both the fridge and the chest freezer in the garage, this one to power the whole house...

I didn't know they could be converted to natural gas, so I'm quite interested in following along. Not dealing with gasoline would be fantastic.
Yeah I had to do a double take when I realized you can convert them over to NG. I've been eyeballing this mid level Predator for a while but just waiting to pull the trigger. We borrowed our friend's generator twice in a year so I figured it was time to just do it since it seems like we're getting hit by more hurricanes and weather lately.
So in reading the reviews for this I found a guy that said to be sure to get the natural gas conversion kit. Did some searching and bam, it's relatively cheap and easy. I got a carb swap kit that's only about $50, but I bought a regulator line and an adapter so I think I spent about $68. Some of the other "Full" kits run upwards of about $150-180.

Basically from what I read, all you need is to regulate it and plug it into your airbox, and most allow you to run tri fuel (NG, Gas, and Propane) without having to swap anything to go back and forth between them. I got this kit and I may need to get some other adapters to run off my house line. I haven't looked at it to see what I need but I'll figure it out once the parts are in and then realize what I need to make it work. This kit should just swap right out and work, some of the other kits I've seen simply install a spacer in front of the carb and have natural gas enter there. And you can simply close off the valves to make it work for gas if you want.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082P ... UTF8&psc=1

You can cut thru parts of this video but you'll see the spacer the guy installs that gives the NG injection before the carb, and then he installs a regulator to the frame to connect gas to. From what I'm seeing, all of these NG conversions are literally as simple as that.

Once I get it all figured out I'll definitely post it all up here. Because not having to keep fuel jugs around would be a blessing. Just plug it up and it can run 24/7 instead of just intermittently while I find fuel or conserve it.
Detroit
Drives: CT

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:19 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:59 am

Yeah I had to do a double take when I realized you can convert them over to NG. I've been eyeballing this mid level Predator for a while but just waiting to pull the trigger. We borrowed our friend's generator twice in a year so I figured it was time to just do it since it seems like we're getting hit by more hurricanes and weather lately.
So in reading the reviews for this I found a guy that said to be sure to get the natural gas conversion kit. Did some searching and bam, it's relatively cheap and easy. I got a carb swap kit that's only about $50, but I bought a regulator line and an adapter so I think I spent about $68. Some of the other "Full" kits run upwards of about $150-180.

Basically from what I read, all you need is to regulate it and plug it into your airbox, and most allow you to run tri fuel (NG, Gas, and Propane) without having to swap anything to go back and forth between them. I got this kit and I may need to get some other adapters to run off my house line. I haven't looked at it to see what I need but I'll figure it out once the parts are in and then realize what I need to make it work. This kit should just swap right out and work, some of the other kits I've seen simply install a spacer in front of the carb and have natural gas enter there. And you can simply close off the valves to make it work for gas if you want.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082P ... UTF8&psc=1

You can cut thru parts of this video but you'll see the spacer the guy installs that gives the NG injection before the carb, and then he installs a regulator to the frame to connect gas to. From what I'm seeing, all of these NG conversions are literally as simple as that.

Once I get it all figured out I'll definitely post it all up here. Because not having to keep fuel jugs around would be a blessing. Just plug it up and it can run 24/7 instead of just intermittently while I find fuel or conserve it.
:amazing:

Thanks for posting this, 5/7 will follow along.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:38 am :amazing:

Thanks for posting this, 5/7 will follow along.

So the carb came in Friday. Only problem is I don't really have a way to get gas into it. It's got a barbed fitting on it and I couldn't really find any natural gas specific hose that I can run it thru. Then I need to come off of one of my own lines. I have a Tee in the attic that should run to an outside gas outlet where the previous homeowner likely put a gas grill, but when I cracked it open on the ground level nothing came out. In the attic I cracked it and it's definitely got gas.

Going to weigh out some options and then decide if I want to run a new line from the Tee in the attic that should work but doesn't. I might put a quick connect panel in the soffit so I can just connect outside the house when I need it. I was tempted to install a tee on my water heater connection and come off of that but I don't know if it'll pull some of the flow from the pilot light.

Carb replacement is exactly the same, but has the gas regulator and inlet. So I should be able to just gasoline like normal and not have to uninstall anything.

Stock

And installed

Will update when I figure the gas line stuff out. Might have to figure out some fittings and order them, then wait for em to come in.