It's Not Easy Being (a darker shade of) Green

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

5/7 Dig it! I wonder if your racekar is similar in color to the :truk: I am looking for... hmmm
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Just counted as I threw them in the washer, I used 27 microfiber cloths attempting to clean the car in a lazy man's 3 hour version of the "right" way.

I drove the car through the touchless automatic first to get most of the bird shit, pollen, etc. off.

Second wiped it down with regular detail spray.

Third used a big clay bar with the detail spray.

Fourth cleaned it with the Adam's CS3 "all-in-one" cleaner, ceramic coat, finishing crap.

Fifth still had to buff every panel quite a bit.

In theory in the future I can start at step 4 but I'm :notsure: that this is any better than the $27/gallon all-in-one stuff I was using in KY. I'll probably buy a gallon of it anyway and see how it goes for the summer.

:csb:

Still need to clean the interior and door jambs... Will probably end up at 5 hours by the time I'm done. No idea how people clean a car in 30 mins.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Who says they clean a car in 30 minutes?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Car looks good, by the way.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My 30 min wash is an exterior spray down, sponge, final hose down, jambs, and windows. If I'm using any other products it's nowhere near 30 min.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The 86 has a very unique paint color, but it looks hard to keep nice, just like most dark paints. Love the car/wheel combo.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:57 pm Just counted as I threw them in the washer, I used 27 microfiber cloths attempting to clean the car in a lazy man's 3 hour version of the "right" way.

I drove the car through the touchless automatic first to get most of the bird shit, pollen, etc. off.

Fourth cleaned it with the Adam's CS3 "all-in-one" cleaner, ceramic coat, finishing crap.

In theory in the future I can start at step 4 but I'm :notsure: that this is any better than the $27/gallon all-in-one stuff I was using in KY. I'll probably buy a gallon of it anyway and see how it goes for the summer.

Still need to clean the interior and door jambs... Will probably end up at 5 hours by the time I'm done. No idea how people clean a car in 30 mins.
Takes me at least an hour to an hour and a half on average. Exterior, interior, jamb and underhood wipe down.

30 mins? Image
Underhood?

Fun fact: I have never seen under the hood on this car. Maybe I'll look one of these days. :crang:

I did take off the snow tires and change the spark plugs in the wife's car today. When we went to move it the other day the battery was dead and the brakes were all rusted stuck. It hadn't been driven in over 2 months. After jump starting it there was a CEL for misfires. Plugs were overdue anyway, seems to have solved it. It's ridiculous just how much that car has rusted in the past year. Inside still looks mint but it'll likely rust to death before it hits 10 years old.

troyguitar

If you believe the internet, underneath my hood I'll find that my car is powered by a small field mouse called Gerald.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:39 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Takes me at least an hour to an hour and a half on average. Exterior, interior, jamb and underhood wipe down.

30 mins? Image
Underhood?

Fun fact: I have never seen under the hood on this car. Maybe I'll look one of these days. :crang:

I did take off the snow tires and change the spark plugs in the wife's car today. When we went to move it the other day the battery was dead and the brakes were all rusted stuck. It hadn't been driven in over 2 months. After jump starting it there was a CEL for misfires. Plugs were overdue anyway, seems to have solved it. It's ridiculous just how much that car has rusted in the past year. Inside still looks mint but it'll likely rust to death before it hits 10 years old.
Yea my buddy in Washington (state) sent me a pic of his Mazda 3... rusted af let me see if I can find a pic
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:57 pm Just counted as I threw them in the washer, I used 27 microfiber cloths attempting to clean the car in a lazy man's 3 hour version of the "right" way.

This is why I do touchless car washes and paid my friend $100 for the exterior detail. It would have taken me a day and a half to do what he did and it still would've been shit. It takes me 45 min to spray the car with a hose, rub soap on it, then spray the soap off. Fuck that noise.

I'm clearly doing it all :wrong: but :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:58 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:39 pm Underhood?

Yea my buddy in Washington (state) sent me a pic of his Mazda 3... rusted af let me see if I can find a pic
It is the worst brand for rust, VW holds up ok-ish and Toyota is the best. Something about Mazdas man, :disgust:
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:58 am Yea my buddy in Washington (state) sent me a pic of his Mazda 3... rusted af let me see if I can find a pic
It is the worst brand for rust, VW holds up ok-ish and Toyota is the best. Something about Mazdas man, :disgust:
Dunno. The car was fine until we moved up here. It spent its first year up here too and survived that fine. I'm wondering if the lack of garage has something to do with it because my 1300 mile new Toyota looks pretty shitty underneath already too. Oh well... nothing to do but spend more money.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:26 am
Tarspin wrote:
Dunno. The car was fine until we moved up here. It spent its first year up here too and survived that fine. I'm wondering if the lack of garage has something to do with it because my 1300 mile new Toyota looks pretty shitty underneath already too. Oh well... nothing to do but spend more money.
Watching all brands in this weather over my lifetime I can see that Mazdas cannot take the rust very well. Toyotas look shitty underneath but none of their painted panels rust, their issue is degradation of *clearcoat* on their bumpers and eventually everywhere. The bumpers get painted in a different part of the plant so it is definitely process related.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You gotta keep spraying the things that can rust with oil in the late fall if you want them to stay shiny. I do an undercoat spray some years, it slows things down enough that the nuts and bolts can come off if they need to.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:26 am Dunno. The car was fine until we moved up here. It spent its first year up here too and survived that fine. I'm wondering if the lack of garage has something to do with it because my 1300 mile new Toyota looks pretty shitty underneath already too. Oh well... nothing to do but spend more money.
Watching all brands in this weather over my lifetime I can see that Mazdas cannot take the rust very well. Toyotas look shitty underneath but none of their painted panels rust, their issue is degradation of *clearcoat* on their bumpers and eventually everywhere. The bumpers get painted in a different part of the plant so it is definitely process related.
Bumpers tend not to have different paint due to “flex” additives.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Wait you guys actually wash your cars?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:Wait you guys actually wash your cars?
:jesus: helps.

ImageImage
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

troyguitar wrote:
razr390 wrote:Wait you guys actually wash your cars?
:jesus: helps.

ImageImage
That really is a fabulous color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 pm I always give the underhood of any car a quick wipe down with a damp towel (usually whatever one I just cleaned and dried the door jambs with) after washing it.

Good time to inspect and keep dirt from building up.
I actually do that, too. Probably the ONLY way that your and my car washing processes overlap. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I am one of the weirdos that likes a hand wash when I have time. I’d say just an exterior wash is about 75 minutes, interior cleaning plus door jams is about an hour, full detail is all day.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:04 am I am one of the weirdos that likes a hand wash when I have time. I’d say just an exterior wash is about 75 minutes, interior cleaning plus door jams is about an hour, full detail is all day.
I enjoy this too, but never have the time. I just powerwashed the JT with my POS HF electric power washer after it got rather dirty from our camping adventure, and it turned out WAY better than I expected. Will probably be the strategy from here on out...took like 20 minutes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Washed the mini after 1000 miles of driving or so, and 2 months. Took all of 30-40 min, vacuumed the interior also.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

max225 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:31 pm Washed the mini after 1000 miles of driving or so, and 2 months. Took all of 30-40 min, vacuumed the interior also.
Cleaning the cars is on my weekend agency. :tits: Crosstour is filthy.
wap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:31 pm Washed the mini after 1000 miles of driving or so, and 2 months. Took all of 30-40 min, vacuumed the interior also.
I've been meaning to wash the H for the past several weekends as it is also filthy but never seemed to find the time or the weather blew. :|

On a related note, I'm finding that cornhole does a decent job of hiding dirt as from 5-ish feet away it always seems to look clean, despite how it looks up close.
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:37 pm
Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:32 pm

I've been meaning to wash the H for the past several weekends as it is also filthy but never seemed to find the time or the weather blew. :|

On a related note, I'm finding that cornhole does a decent job of hiding dirt as from 5-ish feet away it always seems to look clean, despite how it looks up close.
:fuckyeah:
Welcome to the world of bright colors!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.