Cruisin' Down teh Street in Mah Six-Fo

Strut your greasy stuff!
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Now came time for the assholes to pucker: drilling for the trim holes. The reproduction panels didn't come with them, so we needed to measure, measure some more, measure a third time, draw some lines, and measure again.

The first oblong hole is a little funky. Luckily, it didn't affect anything:

As if the oblong holes weren't enough, we now had to figure out this nonsense:

So, we traced it out on cardboard:

And fitted the new letters to make sure everything looked good:

Luckily, the reproduction letters don't have the same pronounced rectangular protrusions that the original ones do. So, we were able to get away with 1/8th inch holes. The tough part was measuring and lining up the template before drilling:

This past Wednesday, we were supposed to meet with a painter to have him quote the paint job. He no-showed. So, we decided that, since we have done everything else ourselves, why stop short of painting it ourselves? So, we ordered a Fuji Mini-Mite 4 HVLP spray system. I'm currently looking for a good source for the paint. Once that all comes in, we'll be turning the garage into a paint booth. The plan is to use a high-build polyester primer for blocking, base coat, and then clear coat. It should be a fun time.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Getting close!
:excited:

:amaze: work.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry

I have this build in a couple corners of the internet, and in one of the other threads, someone made this awesome post:
Gabe_64;20084139 wrote:I have to say thank you.. I have been beating my self up on my project and was ready to just sell it, but after stumbling to your posts on you and your fathers project I don’t feel like I’m doing this alone. Kind of the same story just a lot longer time frame. My dad purchased a 1964 Impala in 1993 with no motor or trans and we worked on it for a while. Replacing the frame that was completely rotted and dropping in 350. Another engine later and fast forward to 2018 and the car has never been driven other than to my house from my dads place. The project was headed by my dad as I was busy with meeting my wife and having kids, buying a house.. the regular life events. My dad now in his early 70’s and disabled is now not able to work on the car. So I brought it to my house to work on it after selling my baby 2002 Camaro SS to have some cash to work on it. I planned to replace the floors and paint the car myself but after starting to remove the floors I came across the same thing you did. Rotted inner rocker panels that are dust hidden by previous half A$$ repairs. Long story short I basically have been laughed at by resto shops on my budget.. Discouraged that I can’t do the repairs on my own I was ready to sell until reading your awesome project yesterday. I have to take your perspective and just tackle the challenges as they go and not get over whelmed with how much the car needs. This morning I cut out the rest of the passenger floor and inner rocker panel and it feels great. I hope you don’t mind if I pick your brain and ask questions along the way. Thank you again for giving me a new perspective on my project! I would of regretted selling the 64!!
Never have I ever thought that this project could have such a positive effect on someone. This is just awesome.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Looking good so far. What color are you going to paint it?
Huckleberry

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:26 am Looking good so far. What color are you going to paint it?
916 Daytona Blue.
We may do the roof in Ermine White, depending on cost of the paint.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 am I have this build in a couple corners of the internet, and in one of the other threads, someone made this awesome post:
Gabe_64;20084139 wrote:I have to say thank you.. I have been beating my self up on my project and was ready to just sell it, but after stumbling to your posts on you and your fathers project I don’t feel like I’m doing this alone. Kind of the same story just a lot longer time frame. My dad purchased a 1964 Impala in 1993 with no motor or trans and we worked on it for a while. Replacing the frame that was completely rotted and dropping in 350. Another engine later and fast forward to 2018 and the car has never been driven other than to my house from my dads place. The project was headed by my dad as I was busy with meeting my wife and having kids, buying a house.. the regular life events. My dad now in his early 70’s and disabled is now not able to work on the car. So I brought it to my house to work on it after selling my baby 2002 Camaro SS to have some cash to work on it. I planned to replace the floors and paint the car myself but after starting to remove the floors I came across the same thing you did. Rotted inner rocker panels that are dust hidden by previous half A$$ repairs. Long story short I basically have been laughed at by resto shops on my budget.. Discouraged that I can’t do the repairs on my own I was ready to sell until reading your awesome project yesterday. I have to take your perspective and just tackle the challenges as they go and not get over whelmed with how much the car needs. This morning I cut out the rest of the passenger floor and inner rocker panel and it feels great. I hope you don’t mind if I pick your brain and ask questions along the way. Thank you again for giving me a new perspective on my project! I would of regretted selling the 64!!
Never have I ever thought that this project could have such a positive effect on someone. This is just awesome.
That's pretty :fuckyeah:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Dude, that's gorgeous.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:26 am Looking good so far. What color are you going to paint it?
916 Daytona Blue.
We may do the roof in Ermine White, depending on cost of the paint.
White over dark blue like that is going to be sharp. Excited to see it in final form! A guy that worked for me years ago rebuilt a Chevelle, and I couldn't believe how awesome it was when it was finished. He spent like 2 years rebuilding it and god knows how much money. Huge effort but it pays off.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 am I have this build in a couple corners of the internet, and in one of the other threads, someone made this awesome post:
:amaze:
That's wonderful.
Huckleberry

A few more updates:

Since the battery we got isn't a factory battery size, none of the battery hold downs fit. Why didn't we get a factory battery size? Because the auto store didn't have one in stock when we wanted to start the car. So, fast-forward to now and we made our own:

Then it came time to paint the inside of the trunk. This was a monumental occasion since, up to this point, it was used as storage space. So, we had to clean it out and wipe it down:

First coat:

Second coat:

Then, it came time to move the GTO and Elco to a temporary spot so that we could move the Impala to the center of the garage and gear up for the last bit of body work and paint:

One thing that we needed to address was the horrible gap between the top of the driver fender and the replacement door. It was just atrocious:

After some brainstorming on how we were going to tackle this, we went to work. First, we made a cardboard template:

Then we cut the sheet metal and started welding:

Some grinding action:

First coat of filler:

Second pass:

Sanded down:

And boom goes the dynamite:

The same process was done on the passenger side trunk gap:
Huckleberry

After that, we started gearing up for paint:

We bought a 12x20 tent to use as a main support structure:

And then hung 20' worth of electrical conduit on both sides to create wider wings:

Taping everything up:

And this is where we left off last night:

We are going to be using a Fuji Mini Mite 4 turbine sprayer to spray the car. The paint has already been picked up from a local Napa paint store. We are going to begin blocking everything to 320 grit tomorrow in preparation for the coat of polyester high-build primer. That will get sanded to 400, and then we will apply the final coat of primer. That primer will get sanded to 600. Then it is the base color and the clear.

Hopefully, at the end of this, we'll have ourselves a fully painted car.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If I did all this work to a car and somebody ran into me, I would kill myself. After killing the other guy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Very very :impressive:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

With this amount of work I almost feel like you need to consider a more magnificent powerplant.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Man. This is the kind of shit I want to do when I build my shop. Kudos you magnificent bastard.
wap

:amaze: . Again. So much :amaze:
Huckleberry

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 pm If I did all this work to a car and somebody ran into me, I would kill myself. After killing the other guy.
That's what the collector car insurance is for. The other person's insurance company will kill them after they get hit with the bill for the agreed value payout.

But that's not to say that choice words won't be said and fisticuffs may or may not be thrown.
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:53 pm With this amount of work I almost feel like you need to consider a more magnificent powerplant.
I keep telling him that he's going to want to add power in the future, but this is a good starting base. I'm really curious to see what kind of power this engine will make since I essentially used GM shelf parts to assemble it. Doing it this way also leaves him room to tinker with the engine down the line instead of starting with a motor that is essentially tapped out and requires insane cash to bring it to the next level.

Plus, even with this being a mild 5.3, it is still going to be the fastest car that he's ever owned.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

This is so rad. Thanks for posting up all the pictures!
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 pm If I did all this work to a car and somebody ran into me, I would kill myself. After killing the other guy.
That's what the collector car insurance is for. The other person's insurance company will kill them after they get hit with the bill for the agreed value payout.

But that's not to say that choice words won't be said and fisticuffs may or may not be thrown.
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:53 pm With this amount of work I almost feel like you need to consider a more magnificent powerplant.
I keep telling him that he's going to want to add power in the future, but this is a good starting base. I'm really curious to see what kind of power this engine will make since I essentially used GM shelf parts to assemble it. Doing it this way also leaves him room to tinker with the engine down the line instead of starting with a motor that is essentially tapped out and requires insane cash to bring it to the next level.

Plus, even with this being a mild 5.3, it is still going to be the fastest car that he's ever owned.
Booooooosstttt
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:56 pm This is so rad. Thanks for posting up all the pictures!
:dat: x1,000,000
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Loving this thread and progress, cannot wait to see the end result!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 pm Loving this thread and progress, cannot wait to see the end result!
:dat: x 1000
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

BY FAR the best thread I've come across so far!!!!!!!!!!! :word:
Really makes me want to start working on my 1970 El caminos again.
:amaze:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

The Mini Mite 4 is what I should have bought for my project.

I love the booth, looking great so far, keep it up!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.