Melon's E30 Thread.

Strut your greasy stuff!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

So, one thing I definitely want to do with the car is Autocross events. SCCA requires that the battery be secured down, fair enough.

On the E30, the batter is in the trunk, and is a notorious spot for rust, this one was no exception. The bolt holding it in was entirely solidified to the body, so I had to rip he tray out and cut the bolt. The vent expansion tank was dry rotted to hell, they don't make replacements, but, I have a plan to vent the battery.

I found a decent sized rust hole on the back body panel, I discovered the limits, and cut it out. Cut a new patch of 18ga steel, and am going to use Por 15 Patch to mount it in. Not the best, but it will work, and will keep the rust from spreading. I got the rest of the area treated with rust stopper, and painted with undercoating paint, it was all fine TBH, just some minor surface rust, and mostly dirt.

The little nub sitting on the plate steel is what was left of the bolt. I tried the notch and screw driver method, and just gave up. I'll drill and tap a new bolt hole about 1" away, there's room on the pad that meets the new battery tray.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, the big brake kit I bought doesn't work with just any 15" wheels (most require spacers), but the company that makes it sells these as well, which fit with no spacers.

:megusta:

13.25 lbs each

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/mobile/d ... -p590.aspx

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:13 am Also, the big brake kit I bought doesn't work with just any 15" wheels (most require spacers), but the company that makes it sells these as well, which fit with no spacers.

13.25 lbs each

oh dang
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:13 am Also, the big brake kit I bought doesn't work with just any 15" wheels (most require spacers), but the company that makes it sells these as well, which fit with no spacers.

13.25 lbs each

Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

DOH!! Missed this thread. WOW! Nice pick up. Enjoy and have total fun with this project!! :like: :like: :like:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Davestr wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:30 pm DOH!! Missed this thread. WOW! Nice pick up. Enjoy and have total fun with this project!! :like: :like: :like:
Thanks!

I'm really excited to see this thing through.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

13.25 lbs each

That looks great!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

13.25 lbs each

:jizz:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Battery bay fix complete. Used Por-15 Patch to epoxy the patch over the rust damage. That stuff works really well, I recommend it. Got the bay painted up with underbody coating, installed vent tube and grommets. Then, install the tray, strap and finally the battery.

Fully mounted and SCCA legal.

Right in time for tomorrow, the E30's first race.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So, I was preparing the car for tomorrow's autocross, took out the floor mats, vacuumed it all up, removed various bits of debris.

I noticed the driver's side carpet was all wet, well, turns out it's full of water, strange, since the last time I drove it in the rain was over a month ago.

Any way, the car apparently is leaking coolant from the heater, or has a leak from outside. Either way, carpet is coming out for a rust inspection, and heater core is going to get examined.

Davestr

Melon wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:50 pm So, I was preparing the car for tomorrow's autocross, took out the floor mats, vacuumed it all up, removed various bits of debris.

I noticed the driver's side carpet was all wet, well, turns out it's full of water, strange, since the last time I drove it in the rain was over a month ago.

Any way, the car apparently is leaking coolant from the heater, or has a leak from outside. Either way, carpet is coming out for a rust inspection, and heater core is going to get examined.

Bummer. Been through that on an Alfa I was 'restoring' in college. Bypassed the heater core and dried it all up. No need for the heater in Florida :) Im betting you can sort this fairly quickly!! :like:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Melon wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:50 pm So, I was preparing the car for tomorrow's autocross, took out the floor mats, vacuumed it all up, removed various bits of debris.

Should be able to smell the coolant though?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Davestr wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:16 am

Bummer. Been through that on an Alfa I used in college as the transportation component of my poon slaying, seed spreading, beer drinking, weed smoking lifestyle. Bypassed the heater core and dried it all up. No need for the heater in Florida :) Im betting you can sort this fairly quickly!! :like:
:amaze:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Bummer. Been through that on an Alfa I used in college as the transportation component of my poon slaying, seed spreading, beer drinking, weed smoking lifestyle. Bypassed the heater core and dried it all up. No need for the heater in Florida :) Im betting you can sort this fairly quickly!! :like:
:iswydt:
:lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Mystery water in 30 year old germans cars is always a mystery. might be pee.
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm Should be able to smell the coolant though?
True. It doesn't smell like coolant, smells more like...

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:28 am Mystery water in 30 year old germans cars is always a mystery. might be pee.
...yeah smells more like that. :disgust:

Did some digging, will look at clogged cowl drains, and then move on to seals.
Either way, interior getting taken out this weekend, to inspect rust damage.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

But you still autocrossed it, right?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Fuck yeah I did.

ImageImage

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Yaaaaaas. Hoping photgs got some good pics of rallyx this weekend. I was told that I got wheels off the ground.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: :melon:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 am Fuck yeah I did.

ImageImage

:stig: :melon:

:jelly:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:41 am:fuckyeah: :melon:
:dat:
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Davestr

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm

:lolgasm: :lolgasm:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Looked into painting.

Called a body shop here in town, they specialize in restorations, for a quote to paint the E30. $8,000 to $12,000. Still going to bring the car by in person and get a more defined estimate, so I know what I'm dealing with.

This was also the only shop in town that would look at, most won't do anything older than 2000.

So, definitely kicking that can down the road. Going to look at doing it myself, I can probably do it better than the bargain basement places, for less. Won't be showroom, but will be 4/7.