Corollise GT RS 1.8

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:27 pm

The point is you could use the "rewards" in other ways including direct cash back (which is what I do). Those flights have a higher cost than you're claiming with your :plac: :math:
Most card programs are more generous when using points for airline tickets instead of cash back doe. #richgettingricher
Examples? I've looked into them and can't find one that makes more sense than just getting cash back.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

The point is you could use the "rewards" in other ways including direct cash back (which is what I do). Those flights have a higher cost than you're claiming with your :plac: :math:
Most card programs are more generous when using points for airline tickets instead of cash back doe. #richgettingricher
Either way, the points have a non-zero cash opportunity cost. Could use a cashback card and buy bitcoins instead... then you could own your own fucking jet to fly wherever!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Examples? I've looked into them and can't find one that makes more sense than just getting cash back.
Whoops, made a mistake in that prior post. Was thinking about how a bunch of card programs earn points, not redeem. My bad.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:55 pm

Either way, the points have a non-zero cash opportunity cost. Could use a cashback card and buy bitcoins instead... then you could own your own fucking jet to fly wherever!
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat: in the sense that they offer several ways to earn multiple points per transaction, annual bonus points, etc. :notsure: if it's the best possible :dill: , but seems ok-ish to me.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:39 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm

It certainly beats the hell out of adding an extra $150+ to the cost of every event. My biggest expense is probably fuel at this point - and even that is low when you get 30 mpg on 87.

Entry $50
Tires $30
Fuel $50
Food $15-20
Booze $15-20

Maybe $200 a weekend all-in.

Using hotels and restaurants/bars would double to triple my costs or more depending on the location/duration of events.
And you make fun of me blowing money on steak dinners and hookers?

Your weekend race budget is higher than my weekend steak budget.

:troywax:

Goldcoin life
Reserved for future use.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

wap wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 pm

:dat: in the sense that they offer several ways to earn multiple points per transaction, annual bonus points, etc. :notsure: if it's the best possible :dill: , but seems ok-ish to me.
Yeah there are people who go :fullretard: keeping up with all the best reward/point systems and subsequently ruin them for everyone by abusing the systems. I have one card with decent enough offers and use it for everything NFG... and one other card that I never use but keep as a backup in case the main one isn't accepted for some reason.
troyguitar

Actual car talk...

Had miata bro co-drive the spyder this past weekend and he brought his go-pro, battery died halfway through so our fastest runs aren't on there but these are the best that were captured before that:

I learned what I suspected... that I'm still driving the car like it's as big as the :poorvette: so I'm way too far away from the cones around every corner. That's where the missing half a second is between me and the fastest national bros.
Apex

Do you not have your own GoPro or similar camera :mahtroy: ? Seems like it might be helpful to study some stuff between runs? Ie. tell your self to get closer to the cones.
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:13 pm Do you not have your own GoPro or similar camera :mahtroy: ? Seems like it might be helpful to study some stuff between runs? Ie. tell your self to get closer to the cones.
Not yet, it's on the list. Need a camera (or 2, ideally, to see cone distance on both sides) and an android tablet to run SoloStorm for data acquisition. I have the 10 Hz external GPS unit and bluetooth OBDII loggers already but have been too lazy/cheap to figure out what exactly I need/want for camera(s) and tablet. I'm going to wait until winter/spring to :dealwithit: since free time is not abundant for the next few months and prices should only go down.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:13 pm Do you not have your own GoPro or similar camera :mahtroy: ? Seems like it might be helpful to study some stuff between runs? Ie. tell your self to get closer to the cones.
Not yet, it's on the list. Need a camera (or 2, ideally, to see cone distance on both sides) and an android tablet to run SoloStorm for data acquisition. I have the 10 Hz external GPS unit and bluetooth OBDII loggers already but have been too lazy/cheap to figure out what exactly I need/want for camera(s) and tablet. I'm going to wait until winter/spring to :dealwithit: since free time is not abundant for the next few months and prices should only go down.
:word:

Sounds like you'll have a :notbad: setup when it's all done.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:52 pm
wap wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Yeah there are people who go :fullretard: keeping up with all the best reward/point systems and subsequently ruin them for everyone by abusing the systems. I have one card with decent enough offers and use it for everything NFG... and one other card that I never use but keep as a backup in case the main one isn't accepted for some reason.
Pretty much how I roll, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Man you launched that thing hard as F
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 pm Man you launched that thing hard as F
It makes 138 hp, that's the only way to get wheel spin. Trying to launch it any other way is slower and often results in clutch slippage instead of wheel spin. I'd rather replace tires sooner than the clutch.

I kind of want to take it to a drag strip sometime just for fun and see if it can break into the 14's in autox trim. The magazines got 15.40 back in the day. Such added lightness.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote:Actual car talk...

Had miata bro co-drive the spyder this past weekend and he brought his go-pro, battery died halfway through so our fastest runs aren't on there but these are the best that were captured before that:

I learned what I suspected... that I'm still driving the car like it's as big as the :poorvette: so I'm way too far away from the cones around every corner. That's where the missing half a second is between me and the fastest national bros.
:plaid: :tits:

The car/driving looks 5/7 to this :derp:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Car sounds good Troy.
Looks like it could use a bit more low end power, there were a few areas that it might have been beneficial to downshift if not for the time it takes to do so. But top end looks real nice.

:notbad: at all! I want a ride in it :megusta:
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:Car sounds good Troy.
Looks like it could use a bit more low end power, there were a few areas that it might have been beneficial to downshift if not for the time it takes to do so. But top end looks real nice.

:notbad: at all! I want a ride in it :megusta:
:word:

It makes zero noise from the exhaust but from the driver's seat the intake has a decent snarl to it for a corolla motor. I've no interest in putting an exhaust on it except for the fact that the eBay catbacks are <$200 and save 12 lbs... :derp:

Downshifting to 1st might be faster on some of this stuff but it's really hard to do without fucking up. Moar power would be great if I didn't have to run racecar class.
troyguitar

Inching closer to top PAX, still off by a couple tenths... but was 1.5 seconds faster than 2nd place in my class. :stig:

http://www.ckrscca.org/events/2017/8/20 ... result/pax

On this course I actually had my inside wheel spin in one spot coming out of a corner for the first time. Dat open diff :doe:

In hindsight, STR class prep might have been more fun (add coilovers, header, lsd, and real seat) but I'll stick with stock class for at least another year. Full STR prep is way too much money to do properly, like $15k in mods. :derp: :troywax: :nope:
troyguitar

...potential :plac: -inducing rumblings are happening.

SCCA is announcing a new Spec Twin autox class (for 2013-16 FRS/BRZ) in 2 weeks, presumably to be offered starting in 2018. No details have been announced, but rumors point toward a partnership with their title sponsor Tire Rack providing everything in a single package like so:

OTS Koni Yellows
Eibach Springs/Bars (maybe the Whiteline bar?)
Camber Bolts
17x8 TR wheel & a spec tire

No other mods required/allowed, target price likely $1999 to be fully prepped for the class...

I'm kind of wishing I'd gone with an FRS now. If the new class really ends up looking like the rumors are claiming, I might sell both of my cars and buy one.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm ...potential :plac: -inducing rumblings are happening.

SCCA is announcing a new Spec Twin autox class (for 2013-16 FRS/BRZ) in 2 weeks, presumably to be offered starting in 2018. No details have been announced, but rumors point toward a partnership with their title sponsor Tire Rack providing everything in a single package like so:

OTS Koni Yellows
Camber Bolts

No other mods required/allowed, target price likely $1999 to be fully prepped for the class...

I'm kind of wishing I'd gone with an FRS now. If the new class really ends up looking like the rumors are claiming, I might sell both of my cars and buy one.
I think you'd be able to off the MR2 for no loss. Sounds like a not bad idea dude. A BRZ/FRS is fun on back roads and all anyway, it can carry a set of wheels inside it, and you have the 3 for general shit-hauling and road trips.

:notbad:

Have you driven an FRS?
Apex

:mahtroy: could even have matching auto-x wheels then! :hue:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm ...potential :plac: -inducing rumblings are happening.

OTS Koni Yellows
Camber Bolts

What would be the benefit of this? Not sure I am following. How would it make Auto-X better for you?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:05 pm

OTS Koni Yellows
Camber Bolts

I think you'd be able to off the MR2 for no loss. Sounds like a not bad idea dude. A BRZ/FRS is fun on back roads and all anyway, it can carry a set of wheels inside it, and you have the 3 for general shit-hauling and road trips.

Have you driven an FRS?
Yeah, I've driven and like the FRS even bone stock. It was in my top 3 with the 986S and MR2S. I went MR2 because I found a good one at a good price, so if this all happens I can indeed :plac: at no real loss - total cost of ownership would be around $500.

A cheap but not-stock class is what I've been wanting them to make since I started autox - give the cars enough stiffness and grip to be fun plus enough camber to keep tire wear even, but don't allow stupid expensive parts or stupid low ride heights, etc. Even the "stock" classes today allow $2k+ featherweight wheels and $5k+ trick shocks which is just :fullretard:
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:12 pm

OTS Koni Yellows
Camber Bolts

What would be the benefit of this? Not sure I am following. How would it make Auto-X better for you?
It's mostly a wash, but allows for some nice things:

Can carry autox wheels with me to out of town events, both limiting wear and limiting the risk of being stranded/screwed by a puncture
Don't feel the "need" to buy $2000 forged wheels to be fully prepared for my class
Don't feel the "need" to build $8000 custom struts to be fully prepared for my class
Don't feel the "need" to build $4000 custom titanium cat-back to be fully prepared for my class
Don't feel the "need" to test all 4 of the different tire options to see which one is .03 seconds faster for the class
The car will actually have adequate roll stiffness, camber, and wheel width to keep all 4 tires planted and wear tires evenly
Has an actual roof and chassis rigidity - I still don't like the convertible at all
Seats are way better, like a million times better - both more supportive and more comfortable

Downside is it's 450 lbs heavier, bigger, and costs more. :derp:

For non-autox, it is obviously better in almost every way since it offers actual storage space and winter capabilities and costs about the same as the current 2 car solution. Wife also thinks they look great and sort of wanted an automatic one before she got her mazda instead. She hates the convertible, too windy+loud.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Have you driven an FRS?
Yeah, I've driven and like the FRS even bone stock. It was in my top 3 with the 986S and MR2S. I went MR2 because I found a good one at a good price, so if this all happens I can indeed :plac: at no real loss - total cost of ownership would be around $500.

A cheap but not-stock class is what I've been wanting them to make since I started autox - give the cars enough stiffness and grip to be fun plus enough camber to keep tire wear even, but don't allow stupid expensive parts or stupid low ride heights, etc. Even the "stock" classes today allow $2k+ featherweight wheels and $5k+ trick shocks which is just :fullretard:
Yep. Then you can get into the :fullretard: spec classes where people will search for stock parts that are lighter due to tolerances.